All Encompassing Whatcha Smoking With

Both Tacos

I can't make a brisket in my Primo. There's too much heat transfer to the meat from the deflector plate and I wind up with half of the thing being jerky, even if I cook it fat cap down, no trimming at 275. I don't get it. I'll stick with the offset or WSM for brisket going forward. 

Back to your regularly scheduled posting. 

31 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

I can't make a brisket in my Primo. There's too much heat transfer to the meat from the deflector plate and I wind up with half of the thing being jerky, even if I cook it fat cap down, no trimming at 275. I don't get it. I'll stick with the offset or WSM for brisket going forward. 

Not sure what a Primo is, is it a ceramic BGE-style cooker?  If so, I have a friend that does very good brisket on his BGE.  Not as great as mine on the offset, but very good.  So I know it can be done. :)

1 hour ago, Baboontyme said:

Dumb question amnesty, but are you checking temps at grate level?  

1 hour ago, Baboontyme said:

Dumb question amnesty, but are you checking temps at grate level?

Yes. Using the fireboats which I have tested and I know it's throwing accurate temps. I wonder if I'm filling up the chamber too high. I'm sure I could mitigate by putting some kind of a water pan between the grate and the deflector but there isn't much space there on the primo. Not sure how it sets up on the BGE or other ceramics. 

You might try something similar to what kamado people do for pizza to reduce the radiant heat off the deflector plate - use a few pieces of ceramic (broken deflector plate, pieces of brick, even dry stones) on top of the deflector, and then put a pizza stone on top of those. Gives you double deflectors and an air gap, cuts down on the radiant heat to the underside of the food.

7 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

Yeah, would like to hear from @Dontshootrude  On the Primo - at least the round, 18.5" - there is not much room between the plate and the grate. Like I might be able to fit a 1/4" pizza pan in there. 

7 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Can you add a homemade grate above the factory grate like many people do with wsm’s?  Most do this to add capacity, but you could use it to get the brisket further from the heat, and possibly add a water pan on the factory grate.

Just looked up the Primo.  It seems to be somewhat shallower than a BGE?

Looks like you have a couple of options, there's an add-on rack that hangs below the main cooking grate that you can place ceramic heat deflectors onto.  There's also an optional raised cooking rack that's made to increase cooking space but you might be able to use it as conVINCEd mentions just to get the food further from the fire and potentially add in a water pan?  Not sure if that raised rack leaves enough room between itself and the dome for a full brisket though.

Or, you could just keep doing what you're doing and use your offset-- a piece of equipment that's made specifically for this task-- instead of jimmying around with a "versatile" cooker that's NOT specifically designed for this task. ;)

Edited by utee94

I don't think it's shallower than the BGE, but not certain. I think they're pretty comparable in size. 

I do have the rack that goes on the perimeter of the firebox and hangs down a couple of inches, and the deflector sits on that. Then the grate sits flush on top of the hooks/firebox. I also do have a rack to sit on top of the main rack but it's too small for a brisket, and it would be touching the sides of the lid when shut. I can sort of fit a pork shoulder on it but often times the 2nd rack will be touching the shoulder I have on the main grate. I think the best bet is some kind of additional material or a shallow water pan on top of the deflector. 

i think this is the right thread for this question for the smokers:

has anyone tried smoking pasta?  i saw a segment on a food show this weekend and this restaurant made a cacio e pepe with smoked bucatini, and i am highly intrigued. the chef used a small commercial kitchen smoker to smoke the pasta, which I of course do not have (i have an offset) but wondering if it would be as easy as cooking some pasta to slightly less than al dente, laying it on a grill pan and then putting that in the smoker .... for .... not sure how long but i would assume very very low heat.  

anyone tried this or something similar?

5 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

i think this is the right thread for this question for the smokers:

has anyone tried smoking pasta?  i saw a segment on a food show this weekend and this restaurant made a cacio e pepe with smoked bucatini, and i am highly intrigued. the chef used a small commercial kitchen smoker to smoke the pasta, which I of course do not have (i have an offset) but wondering if it would be as easy as cooking some pasta to slightly less than al dente, laying it on a grill pan and then putting that in the smoker .... for .... not sure how long but i would assume very very low heat.  

anyone tried this or something similar?

Did it with some bucatini once for some carbonara. Basically did it exactly how you said with a little of the pasta water in the pan. Smoker was 225 ish and I threw a chunk of cherry in there. Probably left it in for 15 minutes or so. Honestly, it picked up too much smoke and I didn't love it. 

But, I've done the same thing with chunks of mozzarella for bruschetta and it really turned out well. 

• Like 1

I don't need this, even a little bit, but...

https://www.k-bid.com/auction/30262/item/2

The question is, what do I do with it? It's a single chamber, heavy steel cooker but it's gas.  It does look to have a spot inside on the right- for chips maybe?  I don't know, but I think I can get this for close to free.

Thoughts?

9157298.jpg9157293.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/28/2019 at 9:52 PM, Paco said:

Nice job! Was it just an open category?

Seven pork butt, seven beef rib. First place in my category was a well known food truck that specializes in monster beef ribs. I beat out another known food truck and another known bbq team. It was my first competition and I just used my trusty WSM. It was fun.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Seven pork butt, seven beef rib. First place in my category was a well known food truck that specializes in monster beef ribs. I beat out another known food truck and another known bbq team. It was my first competition and I just used my trusty WSM. It was fun.

Good job, and congrats.  Beating pros with your WSM must be a great feeling. #TeamWSM

Edited by Dutch

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/19/2019 at 11:57 PM, Baboontyme said:

Yeah, would like to hear from @Dontshootrude  On the Primo - at least the round, 18.5" - there is not much room between the plate and the grate. Like I might be able to fit a 1/4" pizza pan in there. 

Sorry it has been a while since I logged on.  I use a disposable aluminum pan on top of the deflector plate and under the cooking grates when I'm doing pork butts.  I'm not exactly sure how tall they are but they are higher than 1/4". When I fill it with water I'll still have water in it at the end of a 14 hour cook.

You can kind of see it in this pic: 

spacer.png

Edited by Dontshootrude
insert pic

• 1 month later...
14 hours ago, Spur08 said:

Just picked up a Rectec 700 bull to augment my dual WSMs. Any other pellet cookers out there?

The appeal of the set it and forget it and monitoring from the app is what sold me. Still love my WSM, but it's hard to Q these days with a toddler

I switched to a Traeger a few years ago and never looked back.  I get s*** on this board form time to time, but all I know is I can put it on and go back to sleep without having to worry about it.

• 5 months later...

Cross post from All Things Brisket since evidently my search skills suck.  Will post updates as I work through the details.  

Anyhow, I've embarked on a project.  I had my masons build this.  Yesterday, I set the vertical pipes for the counterweight pulley system.  I'm starting on the bulk of the steel install in a few weeks.  Getting the doors laser cut next week.  Totally winging it so far.  Couldn't find anything close to drawings or plans online, but it's basically a single fire box + main cooking chamber (both on counter-weighted pulleys), and vertical chamber.  Fire away with comments or criticism.  spacer.png

• Like 1

I was just telling my buddy that I've been thinking about doing something similar. I have a big trailer pit already (had a thread on the old site, might be what you were talking about). But it's too damn big to fire up for just a brisket and a couple racks or shit like that.

Anyway, did you line it with fire bricks in the cook chamber? Take some pics damnit

Probably asking for repeat info, but is there a smoker out there competitive with the 18" Weber Smokey Mountain at that price point ($329)?  I learned on a moderately decent offset smoker, but it's long gone.  Need to get back in the game, and my wife suggested a smoker would be a good Father's Day present.  Smart woman.

I don't need a ton of capacity.  I never smoke more than a medium sized brisket or pork butt.  I'll do 2-3 racks of pork ribs at times, but I have a rib rack that lets me set them on edge, which should work in the 18" WSM.  It's my understanding that the Weber can turn out great food, so I really don't see the need to spend more.  (FYI:  I have a Pit Barrel Cooker, and hate it, so that's a non-starter.)

3 hours ago, Spaulding Smails said:

Cross post from All Things Brisket since evidently my search skills suck.  Will post updates as I work through the details.  

Anyhow, I've embarked on a project.  I had my masons build this.  Yesterday, I set the vertical pipes for the counterweight pulley system.  I'm starting on the bulk of the steel install in a few weeks.  Getting the doors laser cut next week.  Totally winging it so far.  Couldn't find anything close to drawings or plans online, but it's basically a single fire box + main cooking chamber (both on counter-weighted pulleys), and vertical chamber.  Fire away with comments or criticism.  spacer.png

I am very interested in seeing how this turns out.  Looks like you are off to a good start.

21 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

Old Country from Academy?

Might be a hair more than a WSM at face value, but by the time you get a new door and all that to get the WSM where you want it you might as well.

Or something off Craigslist,  but if she’s gonna wrap it up and throw a bow on it, the WSM is probably the way to go.

2 hours ago, kevwun said:

I like Oklahoma Joe's.  I have 3 friends who have them and they work well and are under $300.  They are what I recommend when someone wants a good starter smoker.

What's the consensus on quality VS the WSM?  I'm not going to cut corners just to save $50.  I mean, it's my money they're spending, anyway.

They are pretty solidly built for a mass produced smoker.  If you get the ash out of them after every use, they will hold up well.  They're not made out of 1/4 steel like a nicer pit though.  It depends on the style of pit you want.  They are a traditional smoker.

17 hours ago, Paco said:

I was just telling my buddy that I've been thinking about doing something similar. I have a big trailer pit already (had a thread on the old site, might be what you were talking about). But it's too damn big to fire up for just a brisket and a couple racks or shit like that.

Anyway, did you line it with fire bricks in the cook chamber? Take some pics damnit

Yep.  I lined it with fire brick on the fire box, cook chamber and vertical chamber.  It was about 400 fire bricks in total.  I probably could have / should have done the vertical chamber with steel, but I wanted it to look consistent on the exterior, and I had to take advantage of having the masons on site.  The ideal setup would have been to pause masonry, set a steel vertical fire box, then clad it with stone.  That would have made it less bulky.  I'll take more detailed pics this evening and elaborate on some of the reasons on why I did what I did.

I have a Lang that is a reverse flow.  I like it.  Holds a nice steady temperature evenly across the grate.  I also have a WSM that I like for smaller cooks.  Jimmy, from what you are describing, my vote would be the WSM.  Go up to the 22", however.

So for those who use the WSM, in terms of performance, is it really equal to everything in its price class?  I just don't know enough about smokers to have a feel for the tradeoffs between offset and vertical designs.

I am a huge fan of Weber in general -- I've owned at least 3 of their grills and their build quality and customer service are top notch.