Dedicated Stranger Things Series Thread

Baboontyme

Is this spoiler free? Or not?

Spoiler

Murray escaped with Joyce. They were there when the US soldiers breached the bunker. The American is probably Hopper. They didn’t show him die. They also didn’t show the bad General get arrested. They probably got Hopper and escaped through one of the farm exits like on the Hess farm

Edited by Neonmoon
  • Like 1

• Replies 691
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we can talk spoilers here, but if not, mods can delete this.

My son (11) and I binged the whole thing today. The last episode killed me. Got super dusty. I really enjoyed the whole season. A few random thoughts/observations:

• I'm glad they let Billy redeem himself at least somewhat. I'm sad, however, that there will be no more cocky lifeguard Billy. Because I wanted to see more of his...character development.
  • My son predicted Billy would die because the main deaths in the previous seasons were also characters whose names started with a B. This prediction led us to the tubes to figure out what Hopper's first name was because neither of us could remember. (It's Jim.) This gave us temporary relief, but when he and Joyce made their date plan in episode 7-ish I figured something bad would happen to him.
  • Loved Erica, although her character was a little cliched.
  • Dusty and Suzie singing the theme from The Neverending Story was fantastic, as was her giving him shit about not knowing Planck's Constant. "Phoebe Cates, but hotter." LOL.
  • I'm glad we got more Murray this season.
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, austingirl said:

I'm glad they let Billy redeem himself at least somewhat. I'm sad, however, that there will be no more cocky lifeguard Billy. Because I wanted to see more of his...character development.

This. He died a hero to his little sister and he apologized to her. That was awesome. It was sad to lose hot Billy but his mullet was kinda bugging the shit out of me anyway.

I'm so glad they are doing another season. And I can't believe how good this season was. I want to watch it again already.

• Like 2

My big issue is with the amorphous nature of the monster. When it finally killed billy, it had sent out one tentacle that billy stopped, so it sent out like 8 more at him. 

Why not send some of those at el who is the target and is laying right behind him?  Same thing at the cabin in ep 7. 

Or attack as 4 smaller monsters. It acted dumb even though I’m supposed to think the mind flayer is controlling it. 

Guest Lobo

What a great little touch, Hopper two episodes later after buying it still has the Hawaiian short on then gets into the woods with his mustache and a Russian.  Except Winona for Higgins and blaZer for Ferrari.  Loved it.   And then the 7-11

so many great touches.  Have three more to go, gonna take it slow.  The candy lineup on that hospital vending machine,

awesome. 

Cant tell if the black nurse was supposed to be over the top cliche because sadly that’s what was cast back then.  Was holding the baby after telling wife we were gonna finish episode 5.   Told her nothing awful in this episode, she walks down on us watching the blob scene at hospital.  Not great Bob!

Guest Lobo
45 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

The gravitron operator called him magnum, to help along the slower viewers. 

Speaking of, the rides at the fair were exactly what I remember going to every year at grape fest and main st days. 

Shhh, some of us haven't watched that episode yet.  But yes, we are slower viewers.  Mostly because I didn't watch much Magnum, P.I. growing up because I didn't crave Tom Seleck.  And because I blocked out most the decade because of that other thing...

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

The gravitron operator called him magnum, to help along the slower viewers. 

Speaking of, the rides at the fair were exactly what I remember going to every year at grape fest and main st days. 

My son and I rode the Gravitron last year at the annual carnival in the Dell Diamond parking lot. I'm pretty sure they hadn't cleaned the inside since the 80s. 

Just now, Deej said:

Yeah, but I think killing Hopper off at this point might be a good thing.

first off how is that a good thing?  and secondly there’s nobody that would make any sense to be “the american” other than big jim hopper.  everyone else is accounted for. 

11 minutes ago, bamachine said:

Just skipping past all your likely spoilery posts. Halfway through this season and so far, so awesome.

just wait until episode 7 when el does a heel-turn and murders all her friends before joining forces with the mind flayer and setting on a course to exterminate the human race. 

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, futureman said:

first off how is that a good thing?  and secondly there’s nobody that would make any sense to be “the american” other than big jim hopper.  everyone else is accounted for. 

Wasn't it three years later? New shit can come to light, man. 

Anyway, yeah, it's Hopper, or Matthew Modine.

Guest Lobo

Not a spoiler because it's from last season.  What was the significance of Jim telling that guy in the bar about his daughter winning the Spelling Bee?  And then the guys outside following him?  

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

Not a spoiler because it's from last season.  What was the significance of Jim telling that guy in the bar about his daughter winning the Spelling Bee?  And then the guys outside following him?  

Going off memory but I think he was talking about his actual daughter, the one he lost. The guys following him were probably feds, just making sure he was not up to something other than what had been discussed with him, when they had him in custody.

Was hanging out with some of the ladys fam who decided to watch Friday night.  I'd heard of the series but never watched.  Thought it was pretty cool that the season started off in a way that seemed like a brand new series from the start.  Now going back to watch 1 and 2.

Spoiler

Were the 4 people in the suits that got obliterated when the machine blew up significant?  Or just random bad draw Chernobyleans?

Perhaps this should go in the plotholes thread, but during the cold war the Russians are able to smuggle a team of scientists and an entire army battalion into the country in order build a labyrinth a mile underneath a mall in middle America all while being undetected?  I know, I know, like that's not as unbelievable as the upside down world, yada, yada,  but I'll suspend disbelief for supernatural shit, but not for everyday stuff.

Guest Lobo

It wasn't a battalion, it was a company...at most.  Flying separately from myriad airports in Asia and Europe gets them here undetected.  They smuggle their uniforms and weapons by boat from Cuba.  They use steel and power from Hawkins.  The dirt excavated I guess gets blended in with all the earthmoving from Starcourt Mall, they pulled an Andy DuFrain.  I also imagine they used several sleeper agents in the Midwest that were activated years prior to start getting the logistics in order for a construction project of this magnitude. 

Guest Lobo

The Brits used our own airlines against us in 1775, why not the Soviets 210 years later?  

The season was so brilliant.  Much better than S.2  

Probably have to wait until Halloween of 2020 for another season though.  Bummer.  

I thought it was made clear that the Matthew Modine character died...what am I missing there?  

1 minute ago, Lobo said:

The Brits used our own airlines against us in 1775, why not the Soviets 210 years later?  

The season was so brilliant.  Much better than S.2  

Probably have to wait until Halloween of 2020 for another season though.  Bummer.  

I thought it was made clear that the Matthew Modine character died...what am I missing there?  

I’m thinking S4 will be the last hurrah before graduation and dispersal, so maybe even longer. Unless that’s for a S5. 

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

It wasn't a battalion, it was a company...at most.  Flying separately from myriad airports in Asia and Europe gets them here undetected.  They smuggle their uniforms and weapons by boat from Cuba.  They use steel and power from Hawkins.  The dirt excavated I guess gets blended in with all the earthmoving from Starcourt Mall, they pulled an Andy DuFrain.  I also imagine they used several sleeper agents in the Midwest that were activated years prior to start getting the logistics in order for a construction project of this magnitude. 

Don't forget hiring Gus Fring's engineering crew. 

38 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

That's not what . . . 

Oh, never mind.

yeah yeah that occurred to me but the point stands.

she also explicitly said something about capitalism and then was like “give me free samples.”  trivial but still humorous. 

Edited by futureman

Just finished after watching it over the long weekend. The final 3 episodes did a lot to help strengthen the season overall. Halfway through my wife & I were both beginning to get a little bored & nervous about their ability to finish strong but to their credit they did. The one complaint we both had isn't anything unique to Stranger Things: as they continue to expand the number of characters it's becoming more & more of a challenge to develop them on a remotely even level. Will was almost an afterthought this season. Same with Lucas. Hopefully the Duffer Bros will find a way to tighten things up a bit in S4.