Dedicated Stranger Things Series Thread

Baboontyme

• Replies 691
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 7/7/2019 at 9:16 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Will and Lucas aren’t really needed anymore.  They’re redundant as characters and other newer characters like robin or max add more to the show.  Will’s only role is to inform them when the monsters are near but is that really necessary.    Lucas’ main contribution was identifying the fireworks which actually could have been anyone and the fireworks could have dropped from the story without much of a difference.  Susie was on for 5 minutes and had a bigger role at least as comic relief. 

Glad they brought back Murray.  He’s the best non-main character. 

I got the feeling that they are trying to set up a "Will is gay" storyline at some point. Not sure how it will work into the overall narrative but the "It's not my fault you don't like girls" comment from Mike seemed really pointed.

On 7/11/2019 at 12:55 PM, hayden_horn said:

castle rock, maine, probably

Was gonna say Derry even before I saw this comment.

On 7/12/2019 at 11:19 AM, Buzzrock said:

Will Cary Elwes ever have a likable role again? He was so good in Princess Bride and pretty much complete suckage ever since. His ST character reminded me of the cringey nature of his Liar Liar character.

Yeah, after Princess Bride I think of him in Twister. He's really found a niche playing douches.

9 hours ago, austingirl said:

I got the feeling that they are trying to set up a "Will is gay" storyline at some point. Not sure how it will work into the overall narrative but the "It's not my fault you don't like girls" comment from Mike seemed really pointed.

Very possible.  But the characters are also at the age where some kids are still playing with toys and others are into boyfriends and girlfriends. Not to mention that Will is still screwed up with ptsd and will always want the life before the upside down. It would be normal that he is years behind his friends.

i read they did that mike-will scene in several ways including that he “doesn’t like girls yet.”  They left open the option that they can go in any direction they want.

• Like 2

Not how old are they in real life, but how old is the Core 6 supposed to be in the Summer of '85?  Or what grade are they going into?  

I dont remember off hand but they mentioned "teenagers" in one of the first episodes of season 3 so 13/14.

I think most were born in 1971

The older kids are 17/18 possible even 19 for a few.....born in 66/67

On 7/13/2019 at 9:49 PM, longhornmatt said:

Is there even food in the upside down?  I know the show can write whatever they want, but from how it was portrayed before I don’t see how they can say Hopper is in the upside down and have him stay in there throughout a time jump between seasons (which we know at least some time jump is happening since they’ve already shown an epilogue and half of them moving away).    

Dunno if food exists there but wasn’t Will lost there for a while? Like long enough to starve to death? Figure they think it is addressed and not worth figuring out. 

Also, someone up thread asked if the 4 “Chernobyleans” in red suits that got dusted were significant, and it sure looked that way from The shot. All the other Russians had peace’d out, but right at the end 4 approach the ray gun knowing it kills people when it stops working? Um, no. Maybe just lazy writing to throw people off into thinking Hopper dead (no clue if he is). Thought maybe it was the main characters come back from the future but A) not sure time travel exists in this universe B) just dumb idea overall but four knowledgeable scientists walking up to their death kinda dumb too. 

Overall season dragged but loved the last couple episodes. Good stuff. 

It's obvious you can breathe in the upside down world, though it's probably not great for you.   But what was never shown, at least that I recall in three seasons, is whether or not there is water and food.  Will was certainly in there for longer than 4 days, so we know he had water access.  But no food.  Even if there was food, Will seems to know better than to eat it.  

Barb has probably lost a few pounds down there, amirite?  And her eyesight is better than ever!  

7 hours ago, Lobo said:

It's obvious you can breathe in the upside down world, though it's probably not great for you.   But what was never shown, at least that I recall in three seasons, is whether or not there is water and food.  Will was certainly in there for longer than 4 days, so we know he had water access.  But no food.  Even if there was food, Will seems to know better than to eat it.  

Barb has probably lost a few pounds down there, amirite?  And her eyesight is better than ever!  

There's an episode where the demogorgan thing comes out to snatch a deer to eat. I say no food in the UD.

4 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

I just don't get the love.  Season 1 was pretty interesting.  Last season was weak and dull.  This season was so ridiculous and silly that my 13-year-old kids laughed at loud at stuff.  

yep.  the last few episodes i had open in another tab and I was just listening, whilst surfing in other tabs.

You laughed at the ridiculousness of it all, is that what you mean by "Laughed out loud at stuff?"

It's not very plausible, I'll give you that.  Particularly since we now know that War Games, The Explorers, and the Last Starfighter were based on true stories.  

But as a (sometimes) adult I don't get how the show has tapped into other adults to the point of some of the glowing posts on this thread.

That’s kinda my take but apparently it’s a small minority. I liked season 1 because it was a fresh idea, but after 3 seasons it’s grown pretty stale for me.

The main kids were better when they were boys playing D&D and doing nerd shit. Now they’ve become teenagers with awkward girl problems and that lies somewhere between annoying and boring. Mike is extremely annoying, Will is pointless except for his neck touching “He’s here” moments, and Lucas is just the guy in the background with an occasional one liner.

Steve, Robin, and Dustin are cool characters but their plot was too cheesy with all the sneaking around the Russian bunker stuff.

Hopper is sometimes cool but sometimes a buffoon. I’d say this season was more buffoon.

Not sure the point of the plot with Mayor Kline but it’s entirely possible I missed something. I thought he was converted to the dark side and he was about to start killing/converting people at the fair, then we just lost sight of him and that plot disappeared.

The bottom line for me is that it’s a super cheesy monster flick that would be a C- in the box office but it earned a following due to a combination of Netflix and 80s nostalgia. I’m probably not nostalgic enough to return for season 4.

• Like 2

WTF is it with people who binge this show as soon as it drops and immediately start posting spoilers without tags on here? Seriously people, let's have a little respect for your fellow man here. In what world would you think that's appropriate?

And I think y'all need to slow down with trying to explain every plot detail. This is the 80's. They didn't have time for all that. Did the Wolverines experience concussive injuries from hanging out underneath a tank's cannon while it was shooting at the Ruskies? Can a teenager even piss enough to fill up a radiator? Even Patrick Swayze couldn't just rip someone's throat out, and a bouncer saving the whole town? This show is meant to have a bunch of ridiculous stuff in it that nobody bothers to explain.

But, yeah, it is starting to feel kinda repetitive. In the 80's they would have kicked this monster's ass in less than two hours. They should have ended it after the third season, but it's entertaining enough that I'll still be in for season 4.

• Like 2

Just finished and am surprised at the takes.  This board excoriates anything not early seasons GOT or the '05 Rose Bowl.  I figured I'd be clicking on record territory here because I'm very rarely more critical of a show or movie than the consensus on here.  That being said...

Nostalgia

Mrs. Wheeler.  No screen shots on here?  Rules.

Steve

Dislikes:

Mouthy Erika.  Of course I entirely disliked Cosby Show Rudy when I was a kid as well.

Over the top silliness, though I did crack up at the Neverending Story.  This was weird to me because the silliness would often be followed by hard-core violence or language.  I'm not a fuddy-duddy; it was just weird to me how the needle flipped so quickly form Goonies humor to Predator violence and back. 

Deus Ex Machina X 100.  I get it.  80's movie.  But it seemed to occur in every conflict.

The Russians built a secret underground base, several miles in length, at least 100 stories down in 2 years since the end of Season 1?  That whole thing really bothered me.

All that being said... I can't wait 'til Season 4.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Deus Ex Machina X 100.  I get it.  80's movie.  But it seemed to occur in every conflict.

Yeah, this wore on me as well. 

The other thing that bothered me was repeatedly having main characters stand frozen as the monster formed itself in front of them. Nancy and Jonathan in the hospital, the group of kids standing outside the cabin as the monster approached, etc. They always stood and watched when they should've been running.

Also, characters getting a golden opportunity to kill a bad guy and not going for the head shot, only to have the villain bounce back and kill them. Hopper shot that Russian guy 10 times in the chest, knocked him down, had an opportunity to put one through the head, but then just left him. At one point they had Billy on the ropes but then they let him run. Quit doing that crap.

Those last 2 things are pet peeves of mine throughout TV/movies, but they were frequent occurrences in this show. Again, it's all part of the campy style which doesn't exactly suit me.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, mulletpelini said:

They won't do it, but they really could use some people bangin

nancy and jonathan are bangin.  billy almost banged mrs wheeler, and he probably banged that smoking hot lifeguard chick he brainwashed.  mike will bang el soon.  max is carrying lucas’s mulatto bastard.  and barb is bangin the demogorgon in the upside every night, shape of water style.  

On 12/12/2018 at 12:58 PM, Drew said:

Still one of the the creepiest and coolest opening sequences.

SIAP any of these links...realized I’d never checked the thread here and got hooked reading how the title came about

This is a great read on that very thing...how it came together: https://www.artofthetitle.com/title/stranger-things/

What’s remarkable to me is how it’s all text/title, and grabbed me initially as the font is just slightly modified from the titles of so many King books I grew up reading. 

spacer.png

The evolution of the typography covered here: https://inspirationhut.net/inspiration/stranger-things-logo/

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1