Camping Thread

HOOK'EMHOOAH

I want to get back into camping and plan on getting out this summer when most people would probably bitch about it being too hot. I live in Fort Worth. What recommendations y'all got for good camping with nice hiking trails and fishing?

Also, don't just recommend for my area. Recommend wherever so everyone can get in on the action.

I'm interested in this, too. I took my 5 and 8 year old daughters camping last weekend and they enjoyed it so I may have to start doing it more regularly. Ofcourse we cheated and were in the grandparents pop-up camper, and I'd be starting out in tents, etc.

But the 8 year old caught her first fish and they both had fun and are wanting to do it again.

I'd have to start out with relatively simple campgrounds not far from Dallas that has bathrooms, etc.

• Haha 1

Beavers Bend in Oklahoma isn't too far from Dallas or Fort Worth. It's about as good as a campground as you can get for getting back into some easy tent camping and introducing kids to it. It's also far enough away that it feels more like a trip to something different instead of just going to the closest state park.

Benbrook lake and possom kingdom are good local ones for top 2 posters

For benbrook if you drive down 377 to 1187 there is a popular spot to fish on the southside off 377 right after the gas station if you are facing ft. Worth

Have took my kayak down thru tjere a few times and have seen plenty of fish ...and its a nice stroll along the bank for hiking with water fowl 

Takes me about 1.5 hours each way in kayak to lake

9 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Beavers Bend in Oklahoma isn't too far from Dallas or Fort Worth. It's about as good as a campground as you can get for getting back into some easy tent camping and introducing kids to it. It's also far enough away that it feels more like a trip to something different instead of just going to the closest state park.

Do you see what you did wrong?

Listen Rofl my family on my grandpa's side is split on texas and arkansas half n half and we do a reunion every year in oklahoma....and as a born and raised texan i can say eastern oklahoma is lovely .....but that plain country norman shit sucks all the ass in the world

I went on a multi-family camping trip to Lake Whitney a few years ago.  It was really nice and there are multiple camp sites around the lake.  There is a State park on the north side and a COE park on the south side.  Better trails were at the state park.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/22/2018 at 10:21 PM, Bone3421 said:

Listen Rofl my family on my grandpa's side is split on texas and arkansas half n half and we do a reunion every year in oklahoma....and as a born and raised texan i can say eastern oklahoma is lovely .....but that plain country norman shit sucks all the ass in the world

Strap them kids in 
Give 'em a little bit of vodka in a cherry coke
We're going to Oklahoma to the family reunion for the first time in years

Uncle Slayton's.

Uncle Slayton's got his Texan pride
Back in the thickets with his Asian bride
He's got a Airstream trailer and a Holstein cow 
He still makes whiskey 'cause he still knows how
He plays that Choctaw bingo every Friday night
You know he had to leave Texas but he won't say why
He owns a quarter section up by Lake Eufala
Caught a great big ol' blue cat on a driftin' jug line 
Sells his hardwood timber to the shipping mill
Cooks that crystal meth because the shine don't sell
He cooks that crystal meth because the shine don't sell
You know he likes his money he don't mind the smell

• 4 years later...

Necrobump...

I bought some questionable gear when my daughter and I started camping. Now that my son is starting to camp with us, I need to upgrayyed some gear.

It's car camping with other families about 5-6 times a year, so I don't need top of the line stuff. Just something that will last us a few more season until the kids grow up and (maybe?) lose interest in camping.

Main recommendation I need is sleeping pads. I bought the REI groundbreakers was okay but thin. I could still feel some sharper rocks, and the R-value was pretty negligible. The lowest temperature we dealt with was in the mid-40s, and my back was still pretty cold in my 25 degree bag.

Sierra.com is literally the TJMaxx of outdoor gear. I haven't bought a lot of stuff from them but they seem to have decent deals.

Since you're car camping maybe consider combining an air pad with a foam mat underneath for a little extra padding. 

I used to camp out a lot when I was growing up but quit all together when I was in my teens because I decided then that sleeping on the ground sucks. I discovered hammock camping several years ago and love it. I feel you though camping with the kids now but you might consider it later on when they get a little older and comfortable sleeping on their own - or you want to go solo. 

Close to you is Cleburne State Park. I've both camped and ran the trails there. Neat thing about it is, it's not all that different from Texas hill country there. Perhaps a little more distant is Tyler State Park. Let us not forget Pedernales Falls and Enchanted Rock parks near Austin. Another close by to you is Possum Kingdom Park. Never been there but a buddy of mine used to love fishing Possum Kingdom and Cedar Creek Lakes.

May sound obvious, but check out TPWD site for State Parks.

Texas State Parks - Map

On 9/6/2022 at 2:15 PM, JMFP said:

Sierra.com is literally the TJMaxx of outdoor gear. I haven't bought a lot of stuff from them but they seem to have decent deals.

Since you're car camping maybe consider combining an air pad with a foam mat underneath for a little extra padding. 

I used to camp out a lot when I was growing up but quit all together when I was in my teens because I decided then that sleeping on the ground sucks. I discovered hammock camping several years ago and love it. I feel you though camping with the kids now but you might consider it later on when they get a little older and comfortable sleeping on their own - or you want to go solo. 

I didn’t camp for about 35 years, and have only done it the past 2 years because of my kids. My son is 7, so we still have another 5 years of camping to go. I like hot showers, clean toilets, black out curtains and memory foam mattresses.

I saw a few Exped mattresses on sale at REI that were really comfortable, but thought > $150 was a little steep. I’ve since come to realize a good mattress costs about that much. Maybe before their next sale, I won’t blow all my money on whisky first. 

• Hook 'Em 1

There's an all encompassing camping and backpacking thread on here somewhere with lots of good information and pictures. Much of it is geared for backpacking, but there us plenty for car camping as well.

Take a look at REI's used gear side. Sometimes you can find some good deals, but it's probably not the best time of year for that.

16 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

There's an all encompassing camping and backpacking thread on here somewhere with lots of good information and pictures. Much of it is geared for backpacking, but there us plenty for car camping as well.

Take a look at REI's used gear side. Sometimes you can find some good deals, but it's probably not the best time of year for that.

This is a good call - Camofire/Black Ovis also has great deals on gear

www.mountainsteals.com is Moosejaw's clearance website. There are pretty good deals available on there as well. Steep and cheap is Backcountry's clearance website. Keep an eye on them, as good deals go fast. Also, sign up for active junky. You get cash back for shopping at many outdoor retailers through their affiliate links. Usually 8 to 10 percent back, but sometimes higher. Also, if you find a deal on one of the retailer's clearance sites, search for the same product on their regular website. It's not unusual to find a better deal on the regular site, or often the regular site has a higher percentage of cash back than the clearance site that makes a difference as well.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Superhero said:

I didn’t camp for about 35 years, and have only done it the past 2 years because of my kids. My son is 7, so we still have another 5 years of camping to go. I like hot showers, clean toilets, black out curtains and memory foam mattresses.

I saw a few Exped mattresses on sale at REI that were really comfortable, but thought > $150 was a little steep. I’ve since come to realize a good mattress costs about that much. Maybe before their next sale, I won’t blow all my money on whisky first. 

You should get a camper 😁

15 hours ago, Superhero said:

Hot water for shower:

spacer.png

Clean Toilet maker:

spacer.png

Dark curtains:

spacer.png

• Haha 1

Heading up to some Nature Conservancy land in the Davis Mountains in October.

Hopefully it'll be cold as shit so nobody is there.

I'll summit Mount Livermore on day one:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRzizFKNOwisKWfn79e4rX

hike on day two and drive back on day three, after an invigorating swim in Balmorhea.

Moar pics of the area:

5202dd_3c9b1a90087343cda3c45dcc146a18fe~

landscapepines.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1