Astros 2020-21 offseason- can't be any worse than last year, right? RIGHT?

Wulaw Horn

Don’t understand the Castro hate.  Dude played 6 seasons for Houston with these results: typical rookie struggles, injury, injury, ALL STAR, average starting catcher, average starting catcher, average starting catcher.

He strikes out a bunch but he hits the ball hard when he makes contact and he’s a good defender.

• Hook 'Em 3

Don’t understand the Castro hate.  Dude played 6 seasons for Houston with these results: typical rookie struggles, injury, injury, ALL STAR, average starting catcher, average starting catcher, average starting catcher.
He strikes out a bunch but he hits the ball hard when he makes contact and he’s a good defender.

seemed like he would GIDP at every single opportunity

4 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

Yes, but why have an average MLB player on a cheap contract, when you can have a below average AAAA player on a minimum contract.

31 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Yes, but why have an average MLB player on a cheap contract, when you can have a below average AAAA player on a minimum contract.

Because there’s a meaningful difference.  In the most likely scenario, the difference between Castro and a guy like Stubbs or Garneau is 1 regular season win.  But in the extreme case, where Maldonado goes down for an extended period of time or even just in the playoffs, it’s a 2 regular season win difference, but more importantly it could mean the difference between winning or losing a playoff series.  That insurance is well worth the $3-5M difference between Castro and a replacement player.

Edited by Snake Diggity
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 12/24/2020 at 10:39 PM, Snake Diggity said:

Because there’s a meaningful difference.  In the most likely scenario, the difference between Castro and a guy like Stubbs or Garneau is 1 regular season win.  But in the extreme case, where Maldonado goes down for an extended period of time or even just in the playoffs, it’s a 2 regular season win difference, but more importantly it could mean the difference between winning or losing a playoff series.  That insurance is well worth the $3-5M difference between Castro and a replacement player.

I was being sarcastic. I am for the signing of Castro. When in doubt, you always sign guys that can actually play in the MLB over guys that obviously can not.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/24/2020 at 5:27 PM, Snake Diggity said:

Can he bunt?

27 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

I would much rather spend money on Springer than a 31 year old closer. 

Stop trying to make Springer happen. 

Hendricks’ estimated FA contract is 3/$30mm Far cry from the 6/$150mm for Springer. 

Edited by TonyTexas
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, UTPhil2006 said:

Just to play devils advocate then.. what about no Brantley or Hendricks, but get Springer

The combo still won't approach what they'd devote to Springer. Who knows in this batshit offseason, but Springer figures to get at least 5 years. You could get Hendriks and Brantley for a combined $60 million or so, or probably about half of what a Springer deal would cost. 

FG has estimated contracts as:

Springer: 5 years / $110mm

Brantley: 2 years / $30mm

Hendriks: 3 years / $30mm

So you could have Hendriks and Brantley for about the same cost as Springer alone for the next 2 years and then not be on the hook for the remaining 3 years / $66mm you'd still have to pay Springer for his age 33-35 seasons. 

I love George but he isn't coming back. 

On 12/24/2020 at 5:27 PM, Snake Diggity said:

Don’t understand the Castro hate.

It's not that I hate him. I just associate him with a bad era and it seems like a step backwards in that direction.

14 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Richard Justice takes a buyout from MLB.com. Would love for him to come back and be the Astros beat writer. 

I'd put him on the team payroll under "Director, Innovation and Corporate Propaganda" and just have him writing and posting article after article under various aliases bolstering the Astros and slinging mud alternatively at the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, and MLB over the "cover-up". 

• Hook 'Em 1

I just don't get wasting a roster spot for McHugh.  

Right now the bullpen would consist of Pressly, Paredes, Scrubb, Perez, Taylor, James, Stanek, Joe Smith, Raley.....Pruitt at some point possibly.  

Go out and get one or two of the big gun available, not McHugh. 

22 hours ago, Scraps said:

I just don't get wasting a roster spot for McHugh.  

Right now the bullpen would consist of Pressly, Paredes, Scrubb, Perez, Taylor, James, Stanek, Joe Smith, Raley.....Pruitt at some point possibly.  

Go out and get one or two of the big gun available, not McHugh. 

James is hurt.  I think he’s expected to miss at least the first month.  But yeah, the only bullpen additions from here on out need to be elite guys, unless they plan to use some of the young guys in trades.  

So when do we do something?  I’ve paid zero attention to rumors or anything else going on. You have to think we have got to sign at least one OF. Right?  Right?!?  Baseball needs to get its shot together. The hot stove league used to be fascinating. Baseball is far and away my favorite professional sport and I basically check out now after the last out of the year. 

4 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

So when do we do something?  I’ve paid zero attention to rumors or anything else going on. You have to think we have got to sign at least one OF. Right?  Right?!?  Baseball needs to get its shot together. The hot stove league used to be fascinating. Baseball is far and away my favorite professional sport and I basically check out now after the last out of the year. 

3 hours ago, David Dennison said:

Not sure why Boston would be looking to trade him now...I assume they'd be selling low, and they aren't really much of a contender right now, so they have the wiggle room to see if he rights himself and increases his value (and he doesn't have a big salary to dump). I guess it makes sense for them to get an idea of his market value.

Astros buying low on him would make some sense. At worst he's been a 2-win player, at best 4-win. Of course, if multiple teams are thinking that way, the price gets higher, I suppose, and then he's not a great bargain. But there are 2 OF spots to fill; I wouldn't hate him filling one of them. 

Edited by Hank Chinaski