Astros 2020-21 offseason- can't be any worse than last year, right? RIGHT?

Wulaw Horn

I know it isn't the main reason, but I bet having Spring Training across the state also hurts them.  A shit ton of people down there are not Tampa or Miami fans, they are fans of the teams they got to go see in spring training years ago and have stayed with them.  The newer generation may attach to one of these two teams, but I bet a lot of the old folk give zero fucks about them and are Yankees, Pirates, Cardinals, Braves, etc.  

18 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

I think Tampa is extra fucked because of their stadium location.  The Rays need to be moved to Nashville, Charlotte, or Vegas.  

There will be expansion before relocation. First and foremost, the owners want the entry fee which could be a billion per team. Second, by expanding by 2 teams you have 32 teams which makes for easier scheduling. 

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

There will be expansion before relocation. First and foremost, the owners want the entry fee which could be a billion per team. Second, by expanding by 2 teams you have 32 teams which makes for easier scheduling. 

So going to 4 teams per division and adding 2 new divisions, because they aren't going back to 2 or uneven divisions.

Traffic in Miami-Ft.L-W.Palm is terrible and the stadium is at the far end of the population base.  70 miles for downtown W. Palm Beach.  So more like a 3 million person market than 6 million.  

Similar location/traffic problems for St. Pete, and it's a smaller base and regional market.  Could have pulled more from parts of the Orlando market and the in between burbs if in downtown Tampa instead of having to slog 22 more miles over a long bridge choke point that's often congested.

Lots of retirees tied to their previous teams, many without that much disposable income.  Big percentage of the remaining population is service industry wages.  Snowbirds go back north for much of baseball season and stay tied to those teams.  Cities built mainly from migration have usually been called "A poor sports town", like Atlanta, Houston, Phoenix, DFW (Cowboys excepted), and LA until it got so huge (15 million in their CSA) that it had enough home grown fans from birth.

Edited by clapclapclap

14 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

I'd rather they contract two teams.  Arlington and Miami sounds about right.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

1. who bats leadoff ?

I'd go Altuve-Bregman-Yordan-Correa-Tucker. That still figures to be a strong top 5. If Brantley comes back, insert him at #3 (or #2 if you like the R-L-R-L-R-L symmetry)and that's a hell of a top 6. The offense still figures to be damn good, assuming the OF spots are filled by decent hitters. 

And yeah - good for Springer for getting paid. I thought he'd get around $110-125, so that's great that he got another year at $25mm added on. Hate to lose him, one of my all-time fav Astros, but we knew this was coming for a while. 

4 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

I don't think Brantley was ever really in play. He'd require too many DH at bats. It was ok last year with Alvarez hurt but those ABs aren't there this year. They need everyday outfielders. 

This.. Benintendi, Ozuna, Rosario would be great..