Astros 2020-21 offseason- can't be any worse than last year, right? RIGHT?

Wulaw Horn

16 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

So we going.

Atluve - 2B

Brantley - LF

Bregman - 3B

Alvarez - DH

Correa - SS

Tucker - RF/CF

Gurriel - 1B

??? - CF/RF

Maldanado - C

Yep. If Yuli isn’t completely washed that’s a really good lineup, even if the last OF is below average offensively. 
mid it’s a league average bat then Yuli is hitting 8th and that should be a top 5 ish offense. Unless Alvarez is hurt and Altuve is some being really good. 

I'm a day behind now but I hope George continues to get upset north of the border.  Hopefully he can help bring about my dream of a postseason without the Sox and the Yankees.

Keeping Uncle Mike was a pleasant surprise at least.

9 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

So we going.

Atluve - 2B

Brantley - LF

Bregman - 3B

Alvarez - DH

Correa - SS

Tucker - RF/CF

Gurriel - 1B

??? - CF/RF

Maldanado - C

I don't hate this - as long as we don't get 2020 postseason Yuli.  That was such ass.

7 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Actually it is 6 years and $150 million.

he asked what the Astros offer was....my answer was I guarantee it wasn't 6 years.

I know what the Blue Jays paid him.

If the astros offer was 6 yrs 150 mil he would be an astro 

17 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

It may not be a 100+ win team, but there’s every reason to expect at least one more playoff run - as long that last OF piece falls into place.  

One playoff run?

Tucker, Alvarez, Bregman, Altuve, Leon as all under team control for 3+ years.

Brantley and Gurriel are about to be aged out, which is fine because finding cheap options at the corner positions is the easiest thing to do in FA.

Correa likely leaves and you move Bregman over to SS, and go find a cheap 3B.

Plus you have both Verlander and Greinke coming off the books after this season and their near $80M combined salary.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

One playoff run?

Tucker, Alvarez, Bregman, Altuve, Leon as all under team control for 3+ years.

Brantley and Gurriel are about to be aged out, which is fine because finding cheap options at the corner positions is the easiest thing to do in FA.

Correa likely leaves and you move Bregman over to SS, and go find a cheap 3B.

Plus you have both Verlander and Greinke coming off the books after this season and their near $80M combined salary.

Agreed, and you forgot Paredes, Valdez, Javier, and Urquidy. This team has a damn good foundation. 

2 minutes ago, texashorne said:

Agreed, and you forgot Paredes, Valdez, Javier, and Urquidy. This team has a damn good foundation. 

Well, I want to see how some of those guys do in their sophomore years, but yeah, the Astros window got extended by all the rookie pitchers that balled out in 2020.

If you can get anything from Whitley the pitching staff is also in really good shape.

The Astros are in a tough spot for the intermediate term. They have no minor league prospect equity to build/maintain through trade or call ups. . And they are not typically willing to do long term free agent signings. I just don't think you can count on them making the playoffs consistently over the next 5 years. 

6 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

The Astros are in a tough spot for the intermediate term. They have no minor league prospect equity to build/maintain through trade or call ups. . And they are not typically willing to do long term free agent signings. I just don't think you can count on them making the playoffs consistently over the next 5 years. 

They will, though, because they play in the AL West.

48 minutes ago, texashorne said:

if we were having this conversation a year ago, i would be in a shitty mood about it.  2020 showed me a lot to like with our young/inexperienced arms.  if a couple of them pan out, we're in good shape.  still need one more dependable bullpen piece.

signing uncle mike was a lifesaver.  and signing castro, while low-key and boring, really helps.  machete is a great glue guy and terrific in the clubhouse, but we can't count on him for some of the big hits he's had.  castro gives you competent at bats, which, for a catcher, is harder than it sounds.

get me a healthy yordan and get to work.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

5 titles minimum

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

Lulz.

Yes it's tough having a core of Tucker, Alvarez, Bregman, and Leon for the next 4 years. Not too mention Altuve is only 30, and the Astros have plenty of arms in the system.

Holy shit dude, get a fucking grip.

Edited by HtownHorn

21 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Lulz.

Yes it's tough having a core of Tucker, Alvarez, Bregman, and Leon for the next 4 years. Not too mention Altuve is only 30, and the Astros have plenty of arms in the system.

Holy shit dude, get a fucking grip.

I do have a grip ......On reality. 3 of the 4 you mentioned have a combined total of 1 seasons worth of MLB ABs. One of which hasn't even played 1 game in the U.S. The pitching staff is equally unproven. They all might turn out to be solid long term contributors. But then again, they also might not. As I said, you can't count on it. 

2 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

I do have a grip ......On reality. 3 of the 4 you mentioned have a combined total of 1 seasons worth of MLB ABs. One of which hasn't even played 1 game in the U.S. The pitching staff is equally unproven. They all might turn out to be solid long term contributors. But then again, they also might not. As I said, you can't count on it. 

I would consider Framber and Urquidy to be on the proven list.. 

2 hours ago, texashorne said:

I would consider Framber and Urquidy to be on the proven list.. 

35 MLB starts between them with career ERAs around 4.00

Don’t get me wrong, I like all the players that I’ve been downplaying and think they have tremendous potential. But we’ve all seen plenty of 1 hit wonders. I’m normally one of the biggest sunshine pumpers on this thread but I’m skeptical until proven otherwise. 

Also, as Dennison said, bounce backs from Altuve, Bregs and Yuli will mitigate a lot of problems. 

Edited by TonyTexas

“I love this organization. I love the Astros. I would love to be an Astro for life,” Correa said. “I hope they’re on the same side I am. If they’re on the same side, I would love to be an Astro for the rest of my life.

“This is where I got drafted. This is where I’ve played. This is where I’ve developed and grown as a man. Nothing would make me happier than to represent this organization and be a franchise player.”

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas-sports-nation/astros/article/Carlos-Correa-wants-to-be-an-Astro-for-life-15889068.php?fbclid=IwAR18jp87RMMV6qZ23m9VRLWTCTIBuMABCc8mUZpLTez5PFO3yCspDMLikjg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, kevwun said:

Gonna need to see Altuve have a bounce back year before I am ready to count on him hitting like he did in the past.  His knee still wasn't right last season.  It may be a permanent thing.

Well he did have a 1.326 OPS and a 1.447 OPS in the ALDS and ALCS. I agree he needs to be healthy, but it appears he was in the playoffs and hit like it.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

Great stuff to hear from Correa. Music to my ears. He has a very mature attitude about the arbitration process and isn’t getting his feelings hurt.

Awesome. Astros will have the cash to make a competitive offer after the season. Having him stay for the rest of his prime years would definitely help keep the window ajar.