Astros 2020-21 offseason- can't be any worse than last year, right? RIGHT?

Wulaw Horn

2 hours ago, Victor Lazlo said:

Hey, before we crap all over his methods, maybe we should remember which American League team was in the World Series last year.

Just saying we might want to give him a chance before we bury him. 

Fair point. 

Counterpoint: That team in the World Series last year still has their GM, Neander.  Click and Bloom were under him the year before, but not in 2020.  Bloom GM'd Red Sox last year and they finished last in the AL East.  I'm not saying Click was just the coffee boy, even if he does make a fantastic latte, but Neander is the one that makes the Rays work.  Neander promoted someone in-house to replace both the Red Sox and Astros GMs and went to the World Series with him.  Its becoming a GM factory, but thus far, it has produced a disappointing Red Sox season and a mediocre Astros season with a good ending.

But I get it.  If Shaka/Herman can do that with VCU/Houston, just imagine what they can do at Texas.  But some GMs and coaches can actually pull that off and maybe Click is one of them.

Edited by FondrenRoad
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Victor Lazlo said:

Fair point.

Counterpoint: the Astros getting within a game of the World Series with a pitching staff without Cole and Verlander was damn near a miracle.

I have no idea if Click is the long term answer, but he sure didn’t fuck it up in his first year. 

I don't think it was a miracle.. They are a top 5 baseball team without JV and Cole. They got hot in the playoffs. They are a top 5 team again this year.. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, texashorne said:

I don't think it was a miracle.. They are a top 5 baseball team without JV and Cole. They got hot in the playoffs. They are a top 5 team again this year.. 

yep. It shows just how fucking insanely good that 2019 team was. Historically man. You had the top 2 guys in the CY Young race both leave, not get replaced by anyone else, and the left over team was still top 5 in talent. 
I will always regret that 19 team not winning a ring. They were awesome. Such is the game of baseball though. It’s not like the NBA where the best team always wins a 7 game series (almost always). 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

9 hours ago, FondrenRoad said:

Fair point. 

Counterpoint: That team in the World Series last year still has their GM, Neander.  Click and Bloom were under him the year before, but not in 2020.  Bloom GM'd Red Sox last year and they finished last in the AL East.  I'm not saying Click was just the coffee boy, even if he does make a fantastic latte, but Neander is the one that makes the Rays work.  Neander promoted someone in-house to replace both the Red Sox and Astros GMs and went to the World Series with him.  Its becoming a GM factory, but thus far, it has produced a disappointing Red Sox season and a mediocre Astros season with a good ending.

But I get it.  If Shaka/Herman can do that with VCU/Houston, just imagine what they can do at Texas.  But some GMs and coaches can actually pull that off and maybe Click is one of them.

So, bottom line, it's too early to say if Click is a true Neanderthal.

17 minutes ago, DaysOff said:

I stopped watching after the 1st yesterday. Was it when he reached out for the come backer?

Ball ricocheted off him to Pena at short who threw out the runner for the 3rd out in the 1st. He came back and pitched the entire 2nd inning. 

6 hours ago, kevwun said:

Hooray, the channel that no one gets other than DirecTv customers!

Get Fubo TV for 65$/month. It's awesome. 

You will have to cut Fubo in October, it doesn't have TBS for the playoffs.. just add youtube tv. You can cancel and restart both as much as you want.

• Hook 'Em 1

Jon Heyman is a well known dipshit in the twitterland, but just passing along his latest:

The initial recommendation for top young Astros SP Framber Valdez is for surgery to repair his fractured ring finger, and the early belief is that could mean he’d miss the 2021 season, as I just said on @MLBNetwork. But the team is getting 2nd opinions before commenting further.

3 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Framber is in his last year of pre-arb this year. If he misses the entire season, would that push everything back a year?

If he has options left could they send him down?  I kinda don’t think so, but unless they can send him down on an option no, it’s still service time and doesn’t push anything back. 

Serious talk, finger fractures are terrible...even with a great OT, CHT, you can have some lingering effects long after the fracture heals...calcium build ups, scar tissue, etc, is something he'll have to work against in the rehab. I fractured mine in 2017 and still have lingering pain, issues from it. 

Might be easier to teach him to throw RH?

• Like 1