Astros 2020-21 offseason- can't be any worse than last year, right? RIGHT?

Wulaw Horn

28 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I believe you mean big fat Daryl  Daryle Ward. That’s his actual name. 

Can you believe that guy had 11 years in MLB? Good for him, nice pension for a journeyman ballplayer.

He's currently the hitting coach for the Reds Double A team. 

Edited by Gourmand
  • Hook 'Em 2

Not only are there 5 star SS in free agency aside from Correa, Houston also has the option to acquire a corner infielder and move Bregman to SS.  Kris Bryant, Freddie Freeman, or Anthony Rizzo could replace Correa’s offense and none of them will be asking for $300M+.  Houston also has Jeremy Pena, whose prospect stock is rising quickly.  If he continues to show the 20 HR power he displayed since last year he is looking at a career like Brandon Crawford or Willy Adames which is a 3-4 win player.  And if all that fails then you’ve got the option to make a trade or just pay one of the studs (possibly even circling back to Correa).  Giving Correa $200M+ right now would be stupid imho.  $170M/6yrs would be about the max I would offer.

yeah, i think it's also a little silly that some here or in the media are like, "well, looks like the astros are going to wait and see how he looks this season."

GIF by Giphy QA

if he's banged up and/or not very good - we won't sign him.  if he's awesome, he'll hit free agency, and someone else will surely pony up far beyond anything we would offer.  the point is to take what we know and make an appropriate offer that makes sense for him, the team, and the fans.  6-120 tells me everything i need to know.

• Hook 'Em 1

Not only are there 5 star SS in free agency aside from Correa, Houston also has the option to acquire a corner infielder and move Bregman to SS.  Kris Bryant, Freddie Freeman, or Anthony Rizzo could replace Correa’s offense and none of them will be asking for $300M+.  Houston also has Jeremy Pena, whose prospect stock is rising quickly.  If he continues to show the 20 HR power he displayed since last year he is looking at a career like Brandon Crawford or Willy Adames which is a 3-4 win player.  And if all that fails then you’ve got the option to make a trade or just pay one of the studs (possibly even circling back to Correa).  Giving Correa $200M+ right now would be stupid imho.  $170M/6yrs would be about the max I would offer.
Lol at your write up and then being down to give him 28 mil a yr

26 minutes ago, Scraps said:
3 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

Lol at your write up and then being down to give him 28 mil a yr

Or sign Correa for 23mil / year ?

spacer.png

There's been a bit of chatter on social media lately about this look. I fuckin HATED these jerseys and can't believe the incredibly outsized positive reception for this look in the last week since LMJ tweeted at Correa about throwback unis. 

What says the surl?

Edited by Gourmand

2 minutes ago, WBT said:

While we're going around the division, Blum just said on the broadcast that the Rangers are cutting Odor.  He's still owed $24 million.  That's a shame.

Amazing that a puny little guy like Altuve can stick around when a much better player like Rougie Odor gets DFAd. 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

spacer.png

There's been a bit of chatter on social media lately about this look. I fuckin HATED these jerseys and can't believe the incredibly outsized positive reception for this look in the last week since LMJ tweeted at Correa about throwback unis. 

What says the surl?

i can deal with anything for one game.

they rank ahead of the brick red bullshit.

and behind every other throwback uniform.

• Hook 'Em 5

2 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

That's probably right I guess but I really hate both of them.  Hard to believe Drayton fucked up our unis so bad twice.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

i can deal with anything for one game.

I didn't like the pinstripe unis either. What I hated then about this one and still hate about it today is the lack of consistency with the color scheme or logo. Where's the orange? And what the fuck is this gold shit? And why is the goddamn star open????

Almost as bad as the Rockets Jetsons-inspired uniform. 

getoffmylawn.gif 

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

spacer.png

What says the surl?

This speaks more to indiscretions of my mid-20s than the quality of the uniform, but this is the version of the star I have tattooed on my upper arm.  

1 hour ago, Gourmand said:

spacer.png

What says the surl?

Not a fan of those jerseys. Orange belongs in the Astros color scheme 

57 minutes ago, Horny Bull said:

i’ve paid next to no attention to spring training. Somebody tell me why this is a good idea.

has Altuve looked closer to his old self this spring (the guy that makes a pitcher work, takes walks, slaps singles/doubles or whatever the pitcher gives him)

Or closer to the broken, old, worn down slugger who is all or nothing and can barely run to first base that his game has resembled more often than not the past 2 years?

2 hours ago, Gourmand said:

spacer.png

What says the surl?

I like them but concede is it primarily sentimental as a 10-15 year old playing little league and buying every baseball card I could find during those days. I hate the red/pinstripes. My favorite are the rainbows on the shoulder from the late 80s/early nineties.

• Hook 'Em 1

i’ve paid next to no attention to spring training. Somebody tell me why this is a good idea.
has Altuve looked closer to his old self this spring (the guy that makes a pitcher work, takes walks, slaps singles/doubles or whatever the pitcher gives him)
Or closer to the broken, old, worn down slugger who is all or nothing and can barely run to first base that his game has resembled more often than not the past 2 years?

64adaea0d67be2fc2354e208241b3a98.gif

1 hour ago, UTexasFight said:

If he hits something like he did in 2019 (.298/.353/.550), that's not terribly different than what we had in Springer (.265/.359/.540 last year). 

I don't think we'll ever see the Altuve of 2014-2018 again. Obviously he was a mess last year until the last 2 playoff series. But if he is more or less what he was in '19 (which seemed disappointing at the time, ah the good ol days), he'll be good. 

I like the Blues...but I liked the one with only the star on the chest better. I actually like most of the unis just not anything once they moved into Enron until they changed to current. (I gould tolerate the black ones, but the reds and pinstripe were wack as fuck)

• Hook 'Em 2