Astros 2020-21 offseason- can't be any worse than last year, right? RIGHT?

Wulaw Horn

5 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

but that 1998 team could fucking play.

Yeah, that team was great.  Shit.

7 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

so looks like mike fiers will miss the first series of the year against the (checks notes) houston astros.

what a shocking and surprising piece of information.

Yeast infection, I assume.

i’ve paid next to no attention to spring training. Somebody tell me why this is a good idea.
has Altuve looked closer to his old self this spring (the guy that makes a pitcher work, takes walks, slaps singles/doubles or whatever the pitcher gives him)
Or closer to the broken, old, worn down slugger who is all or nothing and can barely run to first base that his game has resembled more often than not the past 2 years?

Analytics says give your best hitter the most PAs throughout the game/year.

Dusty thinks he can work a walk, steal a base, bunt him over, and score on a sac fly.
  • Haha 1

if altuve is thinking about running, i would lead him off.  if not, why not bregman?  he's an obp machine.

bregman-altuve-brantley-correa-tucker-yordan-yuli-catcher-straw works for me.

as i'm typing it, i can already see bregman walking and then altuve grounding into a dp.

i'll go sit in the corner.

or maybe you swap altuve and brantley.

8 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

if altuve is thinking about running, i would lead him off.  if not, why not bregman?  he's an obp machine.

bregman-altuve-brantley-correa-tucker-yordan-yuli-catcher-straw works for me.

as i'm typing it, i can already see bregman walking and then altuve grounding into a dp.

i'll go sit in the corner.

or maybe you swap altuve and brantley.

Tucker. OBP and can steal 20 Or 30 bags. 

I am good with Altuve there.  Other than last season, which I don't really care about because numerous people had shitty years so I don't really hold that against any of them not just Altuve, he would have ranked the following for AL leadoff hitters the past season prior to that based on his OBP that season.

2019 - 5th (Springer was one of the top 4)

2018 - 1st

2017 - 1st

2016 - 1st 

2015 - Not sure who all lead off, but would have been no lower than 3rd

I understand you can pull like Bregman's etc. OBP too and plug them and he would be high every year as well, but I was just pulling out Altuve's numbers to show he hasn't been that shitty with the OBP compared to AL leadoff hitters.  

Edited by Scraps

13 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

$98M committed in 2022, not including team control and arbitration eligible players. 

Which is why it’s aggravating if they don’t get Correa done. Feels like maybe Crane is taking a step back from spending at the highest (or close to it anyway) level. 

10 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

Correa will probably get between 2/3 and 3/4 of what Lindor gets, so if Lindor gets $320M/10yr, that would put Correa somewhere between $200M/6yr and $250M/8yr; basically, looking like with a decent season Carlos will be north of $200M.

So you’re saying that Correa is worth the same as Lindor on a AAV level but not on the length of contract. I go the other way. I think he’s worth 2/3-3/4 of Lindor for AAV   Apples to apples would equate to 10 years for $210M to $240m

Isn't it both...or either/or?  The length of the contract is a matter of how much risk the two sides are willing to take on:  the player that he'll be able to get another contract when the one he signs is up and the team that they won't be stuck with dead money at the end when the player declines.  Wherever they arrive on the the length of the contract will affect the AAV.  Shorter deals will get higher AAV and vice versa.

Edited by WBT
  • Hook 'Em 1

It’s about time for the regular season thread to be started. Who should get the honor? Should Lilshep get another shot? We could revert back to Planet Houston but he might have lost interest as he hasn’t posted in this thread at all. Whoever does it, please don’t get to cute. We have to look at it until the end of October. 

1 hour ago, UTPhil2006 said:

Either way we will know in the next 36 hours

Kevin Goldstein said in his chat yesterday and it’s doubtful the Astros extend (not sure if that’s management/player/both).  

I do think the current GM has a very different value on Correa-perhaps he prefers Lindor and would rather pay him.  

18 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

So spring training's over. Who's starting the season thread?

The ONLY person who should create the 2021 season thread is the one who made the 2017 thread.

That would be @Planet Houston

can it just be "the 2021 houston astros thread"?

too cute by half thread titles are arguably the worst part of this board.

Exactly, it's why they haven't won a ring the last 3 years.  End the jinx.  

Proof:

http://www.shaggytexas.com/board/showthread.php/178262-2017-Houston-Astros-Season-Thread

2017 Houston Astros Season Thread

Edited by clapclapclap
  • Hook 'Em 2

can it just be "the 2021 houston astros thread"?
too cute by half thread titles are arguably the worst part of this board.
No because someone has to think they are clever lol.

(Fyi my post was a joke. I am and have always been for just calling it what it is, but I know everyone gotta be a comedian)

31 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I think the current GM has been told to let the payroll whittle itself down.

This is my sense as well just based on instinct. I doubt Jim Crane wants to roll with a high payroll every season unless he's very confident the organization has the players to win it all, and with no Springer/Verlander/Greinke I think he sees the writing on the wall and won't commit to a long term deal for Correa at 200 million +. 

• Like 1

Contract negotiations between the Astros and Carlos Correa resumed over the weekend, but general manager James Click declined to reveal whether the sides are any closer to a deal.

“We’re still having active conversations,” Click said on Tuesday. “We had some more conversations over the weekend. We’re going to keep at it.”

The Astros’ only known offer to Correa came about two weeks ago — a six-year extension worth around $120 million. Last week, Correa characterized the offer as “really low” and said the two sides had not spoken since. The candid shortstop described an impasse that left him “preparing as if” he would enter free agency following the 2020 season.

30 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Contract negotiations between the Astros and Carlos Correa resumed over the weekend, but general manager James Click declined to reveal whether the sides are any closer to a deal.

“We’re still having active conversations,” Click said on Tuesday. “We had some more conversations over the weekend. We’re going to keep at it.”

The Astros’ only known offer to Correa came about two weeks ago — a six-year extension worth around $120 million. Last week, Correa characterized the offer as “really low” and said the two sides had not spoken since. The candid shortstop described an impasse that left him “preparing as if” he would enter free agency following the 2020 season.

I Hope Please GIF

• Hook 'Em 1