Astros 2020-21 offseason- can't be any worse than last year, right? RIGHT?

Wulaw Horn

Interesting. 
1 more good bullpen arm and 2 OF plus a backup catcher. That’s what we need to finish out the offseason imo. 
good move. 

Acquiring all the bullpen arms has worked basically forever in Tampa. I would not mind if we turned into the Rays with more financial flexibility.

https://www.thescore.com/news/2091614

Astros sign Cuban outfielder Pedro Leon..

The Houston Astros are expected to sign top Cuban outfielder Pedro Leon, according to Jon Heyman of MLB Network.

Leon, 22, is the No. 7-ranked international prospect, according to MLB Pipeline.

Over two years with the Huracanes de Mayabeque of the Cuban National Series, Leon has hit .359/.420/.678 with 21 home runs and 61 RBIs in 65 games.

The athletic outfielder defected from Cuba in 2019.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Wonder if the plan is to let him play immediately or spend some time in the minors?

I'd expect him late in the year at the absolute earliest. Cuba is generally regarded as roughly High A equivalent, and he hasn't seen live game pitching in roughly 2 years by training camp. He's also going to see consistent velocity for the first time, but I'm guessing the swing metrics they got on him during the workout indicated that it shouldn't be much of a problem. He's definitely seen plenty of good off speed stuff in Cuba. Hoping he can get it together quickly because he'd be perfect in right although I think he probably starts off in center. Really excited about this signing honestly.

Edited by IDIOTsavant
Typing is hard
  • Hook 'Em 2

Houston has a very deep stable of relief arms.  I wonder if Click is replicating Tampa’s approach or if he is planning on trading away some young bullpen arms for outfield help.  Raley, Baez, Stanek, Smith, and Pressly are all really good 7th/8th inning options that make young high upside guys like Martes, Taylor, Paredes, Garcia, Abreu, and Javier a little more expendable.  

15 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Houston has a very deep stable of relief arms.  I wonder if Click is replicating Tampa’s approach or if he is planning on trading away some young bullpen arms for outfield help.  Raley, Baez, Stanek, Smith, and Pressly are all really good 7th/8th inning options that make young high upside guys like Martes, Taylor, Paredes, Garcia, Abreu, and Javier a little more expendable.  

I don't get the point of trading arms for OF when you can go sign a serviceable OF for less than 5 million- or go try to make a run at brining back Uncle Mike for something like 2/25 or 3/36?

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I don't get the point of trading arms for OF when you can go sign a serviceable OF for less than 5 million- or go try to make a run at brining back Uncle Mike for something like 2/25 or 3/36?

What “serviceable OF” can be signed for <$5M?  There are 10 free agent OF who project to be worth at least 1 fWAR.  Springer and Ozuna will cost $50M+.  Pederson, Brantley, Profar, Rosario, E Hernandez, and Bradley will all likely get multiyear deals that exceed $20M.  To get into the $5M or less range, you’re looking at guys like Pillar, Gardner, and Puig.  I wouldn’t really label those has-beens as serviceable.  They’re not an upgrade from Straw.

1 minute ago, Snake Diggity said:

What “serviceable OF” can be signed for <$5M?  There are 10 free agent OF who project to be worth at least 1 fWAR.  Springer and Ozuna will cost $50M+.  Pederson, Brantley, Profar, Rosario, E Hernandez, and Bradley will all likely get multiyear deals that exceed $20M.  To get into the $5M or less range, you’re looking at guys like Pillar, Gardner, and Puig.  I wouldn’t really label those has-beens as serviceable.  They’re not an upgrade from Straw.

I'd call all 3 of the last guys you said "serviceable" and call them upgrades from Straw. It's picking nits though.  I'd rather sign Brantley for 3/35, Puig on a 1 year 5 million and keep the bullpen arms. 

1 minute ago, Sbbruin said:

Baez is a real mixed bag. When he's on, he's lights out. But when he's not, he's a straight gas can. You never know which one is coming out of the bullpen on any given night.

He will prob be the 7th inning guy assuming another RP signing so not too big of a high pressure role hopefully 

18 hours ago, Jshep34 said:

We are going to daytona feb 13. May see if any astros report to wpb.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Fans will not be allowed to view workouts, unless they are held in the ballpark with fans limited to their assigned seats, or seek autographs. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Really lowball arbitration offer for Correa. He’s asking $12.75M, Astros offer $9.75M  He made $8mm last year. ($3mm prorated)  That can’t bode well for a re-signing in 2022. 

We're going to do the Tampa Bay bullcrap and settle for good enough instead of championships.

20 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Really lowball arbitration offer for Correa. He’s asking $12.75M, Astros offer $9.75M  He made $8mm last year. ($3mm prorated)  That can’t bode well for a re-signing in 2022. 

If this is the case, trade him now before you lose him for absolutely nothing, well, maybe, a compensatory pick. I'd still see if the Yankees would be interested in Correa for Andujar and Frazier. Probably not, because they just resigned LeMahieu.

The Astros are the favorites for Ozuna? Uh what? Link: https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/30711144/predictions-updates-every-top-remaining-mlb-free-agent

Marcell Ozuna: There has been surprisingly little buzz on Ozuna, even though he had the third-highest wOBA in 2020 behind only Juan Soto and Freddie Freeman. Ozuna is kind of caught in no-man's land, as it's to his advantage to wait and see if the National League adopts the designated hitter in order to get more teams potentially involved in his bidding. On the other hand, if that ruling comes weeks down the road -- or not at all -- teams may eventually spend their money on somebody else.

A return to the Braves still makes sense, given his importance to the lineup. And while he did spend more time at DH than left field in 2020, the idea that he's a "DH only" has been overstated. He's passable in left field. The Braves are about $48 million below their 2020 payroll, so there might be room in the budget, plus they have significant salaries coming off the books after 2021 (although some of that will have to go to Freeman, eligible for free agency after the season). The Astros are another possible fit if they're willing to play him in left field (Yordan Alvarez is locked in at DH), but with half the American League in "rebuilding" mode or small-market clubs like the Rays and A's, Ozuna really needs the NL side of things to open up for him.

Prediction: Astros. The Astros need an outfielder and a bat to replace Springer (and Michael Brantley) and have money to spend. They can live with Ozuna's defense -- he was actually plus-1 defensive run saved in 2019 with the Cardinals -- and while they whiffed on signing Liam Hendriks or Blake Treinen, that leaves more cash to spend on Ozuna. -- David Schoenfield

48 minutes ago, UTPhil2006 said:

Any clue why attendance is so bad in Florida? Tampa bay is equally bad 

in miami non-hispanic whites are a minority, for starters.  when you subtract the cubans and venezuelans you are left with: russians, spanish, brazilians, colombians, argentines, haitians, traditional soccer fans.