Astros 2020-21 offseason- can't be any worse than last year, right? RIGHT?

Wulaw Horn

Wouldn’t be surprised if Lance gets a bigger number than people expect.  He’s a low mileage arm who is almost always effective when he’s not hurt.  He’s only 27.  Pretty easy to project him to be worth as much over the next 5 seasons as he was over the last 5 (10.8 fWAR) which would make something like $70M/5yrs pretty reasonable.

Look at a guy like Charlie Morton who was plagued by injuries early in his career but ended up staying healthy and tweaking his repertoire and being a borderline ace. 

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Wouldn’t be surprised if Lance gets a bigger number than people expect.  He’s a low mileage arm who is almost always effective when he’s not hurt.  He’s only 27.  Pretty easy to project him to be worth as much over the next 5 seasons as he was over the last 5 (10.8 fWAR) which would make something like $70M/5yrs pretty reasonable.

Look at a guy like Charlie Morton who was plagued by injuries early in his career but ended up staying healthy and tweaking his repertoire and being a borderline ace. 

5/70 is way less annually than I said I’d be willing to do at 3/54. I guess I’d probably do that as 14 per isn’t a big salary and as you pointed out, Lance- if heathy- is a borderline ace. 
hell- to get value out of that all you really need is 2 of the 5 seasons him being healthy and him pitching some in the other 3. Would that be irritating? Yes. But the money would match the production I’d be willing to bet. 

21 minutes ago, Js1 said:

5/85 allegedly 

With the $6.5M for 2021, that puts his AAV at $15.25M. Doesn’t that put them over the cap this year? If so, that will fuck them on the potential compensatory draft picks from Verlander,Greinke and , maybe, Correa qualifying offers. 

Edited by TonyTexas

5 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

With the $6.5M for 2021, that puts his AAV at $15.25M. Doesn’t that put them over the cap? If so, that will fuck them on the potential compensatory draft picks from Verlander and Greinke qualifying offers. 

Pretty sure extensions for pending free agents can be structured as either replacing the existing contract or separate, starting after the current year.  So I think for AAV purposes this deal won’t start until 2022.

6 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

With the $6.5M for 2021, that puts his AAV at $15.25M. Doesn’t that put them over the cap? If so, that will fuck them on the potential compensatory draft picks from Verlander and Greinke qualifying offers. 

Shirley not, I doubt Click would be that stupid.

23 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

$85M is steep, but only about $10M over what I would have been willing to go.  Click has access to more info on his health and pitch data so I trust this’ll be a good deal for the Astros.  He’s pretty consistently posted #3 starter value (even if that value came in spurts), so $17M/yr for a #3 isnt a bad deal, and if he stays totally healthy they get a #2 SP for #3 cost.

20 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

I wouldn't think so with JV and Greinke coming off the books after this season...but I could be wrong. 

That would affect the 2022 payroll not 2021 which is what is relevant for the 2022 compensatory draft picks.  If the extension doesn’t affect McCuller’s 2021 AAV then they should be alright. That’s what I’m not sure of 

37 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

With the $6.5M for 2021, that puts his AAV at $15.25M. Doesn’t that put them over the cap this year? If so, that will fuck them on the potential compensatory draft picks from Verlander,Greinke and , maybe, Correa qualifying offers. 

I said 3/54 and a couple people said too much too high.  Looks like I just about nailed the AAV- but they went 2 years more than I would have.

I'm not going to dance in the streets on this deal as I think it was a little high, for giving him 2 more years, but I'm glad he's signed and 17 million isn't going to break the bank if he can be a solid 2.  We need a certified stud ace for 30 million then if Lance is our #2 at 17 million with the young arms we have right now (I'm talking 2022) we should have a really really good rotation at around $55,000,000.00.  Which means you build out the bullpen for 25 million and that leaves you 120 million for fielders.

C- 8; 1b- 6; 2b-25; 3b-14; LF-16; CF-1; RF-1; DH-1

75 million plus Correa.  Absolutely no reason we can't give Correa a 10 year 250 million dollar deal. None at all.  Go get Syndegard for 30 million or something like that as your ace and go to war with that.  As long as we have Tucker, Alvarez and 2 or 3 above average starting pitchers making dick we can spend with anyone in the extension/FA market.    

5 minutes ago, Horny Bull said:

There is definitely a number where it is no longer worth it to sign Correa. I have supreme confidence that Click will say no to far less than that number, and that makes me ragey. 

Yep.  6/120 is a slap in the face.  especially when you consider that 6 years is the absolute peak of his prime- when you would figure him to be a 4-9 WAR type of player.  if that's true and you want to pay him 20 million a year you better be willing to extend that contract out to his age 48 year.  Even at 25 million a year that's a pretty massive discount for what his prime is likely to be, and if I'm him and the AAV is 25 million I'm asking for 13 years and maybe being willing to accept 10 or 11 (at an absolute minimum) and even then probably only if you put in an opt out clause.

Look at the dipshit Bauer.  He just got what- 40 million a year? 42 million a year? b/c he was willing to take a 2 year deal?  Yeah

13 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yep.  6/120 is a slap in the face.  especially when you consider that 6 years is the absolute peak of his prime- when you would figure him to be a 4-9 WAR type of player.  if that's true and you want to pay him 20 million a year you better be willing to extend that contract out to his age 48 year.  Even at 25 million a year that's a pretty massive discount for what his prime is likely to be, and if I'm him and the AAV is 25 million I'm asking for 13 years and maybe being willing to accept 10 or 11 (at an absolute minimum) and even then probably only if you put in an opt out clause.

Look at the dipshit Bauer.  He just got what- 40 million a year? 42 million a year? b/c he was willing to take a 2 year deal?  Yeah

pretty much all of this.

if you want to let the offer leak, the offer better be 10-250.  then if correa says no, it's on him for wanting some nonsensical 13 year $390mm deal.  he shouldn't be insisting on a franchise-crippling type of deal, but this is the opposite of that, and leaves him in no-man's land when the contract is over.  if you can do 6-120 then you can do 10-200.  if you can do 10-200, then you can do 10-250.  when the numbers get that big, who the f cares.

we're gonna let him walk without an immediate impact replacement.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Scraps said:
5 hours ago, TonyTexas said:
Inauspicious debut for Odorizzi. .2 IP, 3 H, 4 ER, 1 BB, 2 HR

4er? Try 7 with 4 homers

Hey, but Garcia came in and slammed the door with 4 shutout innings including an immaculate inning in his first inning of work

https://www.instagram.com/p/CM0oVrUAoO3/?igshid=185qmhp8yhgtc

avila

kieboom

robles

if you’re keeping score at home

Edited by UTexasFight
  • Hook 'Em 1