Astros 2020-21 offseason- can't be any worse than last year, right? RIGHT?

Wulaw Horn

1 hour ago, UTPhil2006 said:

Pretty sure baseball contracts are fully guaranteed 

Yes, but I'd bet that Verlander's contract had an insurance policy. So if we exercise it, Verlander wouldn't pitch for the Astros, but they would would get a chunk of real money back to use to improve the team, but his contract value would still count against the Astros LT number.

2 hours ago, realgreggym said:

Maybe he reduces his contract for next year and instead he can defer some of it after his contract expires. 

Still doesn't change anything for luxury tax purposes. Won't be much to defer anyway as I'm sure the vast majority of the money was covered by insurance.

On 11/4/2020 at 2:10 PM, realgreggym said:

Maybe he reduces his contract for next year and instead he can defer some of it after his contract expires. 

Once again, why would he do that?  He has zero incentive to do so. He'll never pitch again for the Astros. I fully expect him to rejoin Hinch and go back

to Detroit in 2022. 

Educate me on why we aren’t trying to keep Springer.   Covid has had me wandering in the homeschool wilderness, and outside watching all the playoffs I’m just not keeping up. 

-  will he get more than he is worth (seems doubtful given overall market going to be cool, and his age)

- is he trying to separate himself from the scandal?  Ok.  I guess. 

- Always wanted to play for the Mets?

- Something else?

just seems that between him and Brantley it’s a no brainer and if we fall apart next year, everyone is gone.  Just makes me sad   

16 hours ago, Macklemore said:

The double standard when it comes to the treatment of the Astros and the Red Sox by the media is infuriating. If we rehired Hinch, assholes like Jeff Passan, Jon Heyman and Buster Olney would be going off on us. But no - the architect of the cheating scandal (along with Beltran) gets a fucking pass with Olney saying the Red Sox would be "crazy" not to rehire him. Meahwhile, our team lost our GM, manager and draft picks because of the actions of THIS ASSHOLE.  Jeff Luhnow who is innocent is being blackballed. FUCK MLB

You fucked up, and yes, it's on us not them; by expecting them to be reasonable and consistent.

I don't care any more.  It never was about fairness.  It never will be.  Moving on.

7 hours ago, A-Tex Devil said:

Educate me on why we aren’t trying to keep Springer.   Covid has had me wandering in the homeschool wilderness, and outside watching all the playoffs I’m just not keeping up. 

-  will he get more than he is worth (seems doubtful given overall market going to be cool, and his age)

- Something else?

just seems that between him and Brantley it’s a no brainer and if we fall apart next year, everyone is gone.  Just makes me sad   

Pretty much Springer, Realmuto, LeMahieu and Bauer will be the only guys getting big contracts this offseason. It sucks to see him go but they should be able to get an above average closer, outfielder and maybe a starter for what Springer will probably get.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, A-Tex Devil said:

- Something else?

The Astros probably have tried to extend Springer in the past and buy out a few of his FA years (I know they tried to sign him early on in his career, don't recall if that would have pushed back his FA). He bet on himself and rejected those extensions so that he could get to the open market as soon as possible. 

So it's not that they're "not trying to keep" him. Its just that now, in order to keep him, they have to pay more than any other team in baseball. And based on differences in roster needs, payroll, contracts on the books, etc, other teams are likely to be willing to pay more. Which is great for him. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I hope he wins. He is innocent and has been fucked over by both the Astros, Manfred and MLB, especially. I can see why Crane got rid of him to appease the media and avoid blowback from his sponsors and corporate suite owners. Still he should have waited until the report came out which exonerated him in my opinion 

Edited by Macklemore

On 11/6/2020 at 10:41 AM, Macklemore said:

The double standard when it comes to the treatment of the Astros and the Red Sox by the media is infuriating. If we rehired Hinch, assholes like Jeff Passan, Jon Heyman and Buster Olney would be going off on us. But no - the architect of the cheating scandal (along with Beltran) gets a fucking pass with Olney saying the Red Sox would be "crazy" not to rehire him. Meahwhile, our team lost our GM, manager and draft picks because of the actions of THIS ASSHOLE.  Jeff Luhnow who is innocent is being blackballed. FUCK MLB

The lesson to be learned here is that you never, ever, under any circumstances, cooperate with commissioner as part of an investigation.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HillaryFan420 said:

The lesson to be learned here is that you never, ever, under any circumstances, cooperate with commissioner as part of an investigation.  

I think the lesson is that it's better to be a franchise with cachet.

• Hook 'Em 2

What's the over under you guys think on when we make our first meaningful move of the offseason?  So far we've done the obvious in DFA'ing Osuna and a couple other guys getting non-tendered, but when do we 

A) Sign our first FA; and

B) make our first trade.

I always loved the hot stove league in baseball and like the NBA's free for all and getting business wrapped up in about 2 or 3 weeks- I'd love to see the offseason thawed out a little more but I feel like this will be the longest and most miserable off season we've had in forever with so much uncertainty. 

On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2020 at 11:53 PM, A-Tex Devil said:

- Something else?

Springer is not signing with the Astros - they know this so it would be a waste to go after him.

Many reasons - He wants to go to the East Coast, he is pissed at the team for bringing him up so late that they increased their team control, he's not happy about them not offering a contract last season,  

7 hours ago, HillaryFan420 said:

The suit will obviously settle.  Crane should have settled with Luhnow when he was fired.  Luhnow can now try to drag the franchise through the mud to get what he was owed by Crane, and I don't really blame Luhnow either given how much money he made Crane as GM.  

Crane is very litigious so you never know - but I imagine MLB doesn't want this going to discovery and trial.

It's pretty clear to me Lunhow was a scapegoat, but how you prove it is another thing.  Manfred wanted him out of baseball because he doesn't play well with the other GM's.

10 hours ago, Macklemore said:

I hope he wins. He is innocent and has been fucked over by both the Astros, Manfred and MLB, especially. I can see why Crane got rid of him to appease the media and avoid blowback from his sponsors and corporate suite owners. Still he should have waited until the report came out which exonerated him in my opinion 

There is no such report coming out, and your endless defense of Luhnow and the whole situation is over the top. Luhnow's lawsuit will likely be dismissed, and if it initially survives, I seriously doubt Crane and Kibbe (the GC) will have any interest in settling.  You should try to move on from all of this. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, MAROON said:

Springer is not signing with the Astros - they know this so it would be a waste to go after him.

Many reasons - He wants to go to the East Coast, he is pissed at the team for bringing him up so late that they increased their team control, he's not happy about them not offering a contract last season,  

I think this is overstating things.  If he hated the team that much he could have pulled a Stroman and opted out as soon as he had the service time for free agency.  If nothing else he enjoyed his time here because he obviously loved his teammates.  

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, WBT said:

I think this is overstating things.  If he hated the team that much he could have pulled a Stroman and opted out as soon as he had the service time for free agency.  If nothing else he enjoyed his time here because he obviously loved his teammates.  

2021 is the 1st year that Springer is not under team control. 

5 hours ago, UTHornFan014 said:

I would not be opposed to bringing Brantley back for a year (or two) if the price is right. I guess him and Yordan would split time in the OF?

I will miss George :(7cbfa36959ed6af4de9f1e375bb58840.jpg

Sent from my HD1925 using Tapatalk

Yordan is a DH. I would be shocked with his knees and lack of mobility if he plays in the field ever. The could resign Brantley and sign Jackie Bradley Jr. would not be a bad outfield with Tucker at all

Not even sure why any of this is news (not hating on anyone posting it here....just sayin).  Of course Astros want to bring Brantley back, they also would bring Springer back if the number is right.  Of course the players are interested.  I am interested in getting drunk at work today, doesn't mean it is going to happen.  

Would be cool if it did though

Edited by Scraps
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

2021 is the 1st year that Springer is not under team control. 

Yeah but he only had to be on the roster like 3 or 4 days in 2020 to gain enough service time to be a free agent this off season.  He could have opted out early like Stroman did.

14 hours ago, Scraps said:

Not even sure why any of this is news (not hating on anyone posting it here....just sayin).  Of course Astros want to bring Brantley back, they also would bring Springer back if the number is right.  Of course the players are interested.  I am interested in getting drunk at work today, doesn't mean it is going to happen.  

Would be cool if it did though

Define drunk at work. We talking buzzed?  Or fill out sloppy?  Asking for a friend. 

30 minutes ago, HillaryFan420 said:

Yeah, the Astros fucked him over good. Honestly, if I were him, I would be very bitter about it and wouldn’t want anything to do with the Astros. 

Meh. Literally every team in MLB did this over the last decade, every year. It is a loophole that teams exploited, and frankly they should have. 

The 2014 Astros weren't going to be good. They traded April and May of Springer's rookie year on a bad team, for his 2020 season in his prime - a season in which they were a game away from the WS. In other words, they sacrificed maybe 1 win from a team that went 70-92 in order to have Springer in 2020 on a team that won the AL pennant the previous year. It was the right move. 

Teams have been incentivized to do exactly this. It sucks for the players and the fans, but you can't argue with the logic. I know Buster Olney has a raging hardon for the Astros and continuously frames this issue as though the Astros are the ones to blame for the industry trend, but Springer and Bryant aren't the only guys who went through this. It'll probably be addressed in the new CBA. 

Edited by Hank Chinaski
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, HillaryFan420 said:

Yeah, the Astros fucked him over good. Honestly, if I were him, I would be very bitter about it and wouldn’t want anything to do with the Astros. 

They did, but fucking with player service time is something every team does. But I guess you would generally hate the team that does it to you more than the team that does it to others. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

They did, but fucking with player service time is something every team does. But I guess you would generally hate the team that does it to you more than the team that does it to others. 

Yep.  that's a CBA issue, not individual franchises.

14 hours ago, Hank Chinaski said:

It sucks for the players and the fans

uh, no.  there are 3 interests to take into account:

-the team

-the player

-the fans

holding a player down until may keeps the player under team control for another year (of his prime).  bringing him up earlier allows the player to become a free agent quicker.  what i just described is bad for the player (and his agent) and good for the team, and therefore, good for the fans (as long as your team wants to win, what's good for the team is best for the fans).  as a fan, would you rather have springer for april of his rookie year, or the entire 2020 season?  it's not even a comparison.

anyone (olney, cough) who complains that this is fucking the fans, is referring to fans of other teams, because they're excited to see great rookies on teams they don't care about.  the next time i hear about a player not re-signing with a team because of how they treated his service time 7 years earlier will be the first.

Best Fuck That Steve Buscemi GIFs | Gfycat

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3