Astros 2020-21 offseason- can't be any worse than last year, right? RIGHT?

Wulaw Horn

9 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

uh, no.  there are 3 interests to take into account:

-the team

-the player

-the fans

holding a player down until may keeps the player under team control for another year (of his prime).  bringing him up earlier allows the player to become a free agent quicker.  what i just described is bad for the player (and his agent) and good for the team, and therefore, good for the fans (as long as your team wants to win, what's good for the team is best for the fans).  as a fan, would you rather have springer for april of his rookie year, or the entire 2020 season?  it's not even a comparison.

anyone (olney, cough) who complains that this is fucking the fans, is referring to fans of other teams, because they're excited to see great rookies on teams they don't care about.  the next time i hear about a player not re-signing with a team because of how they treated his service time 7 years earlier will be the first.

Oh I agree. Really just meant the immediate gratification of fans, particularly the short-sighted, casual fans. I 100% wanted them to keep Springer down for the first 1/3 of that season because it was always the right thing to do. 

20 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yeah he was really raw. That wasn’t all on the astros. 

There was no reason whatsoever to send him to AAA for 67 PA in 2014 other than to hold him down just enough to get another year of control.  It was the most blatant and transparent shit ever.  Other teams have certainly been guilty of it (Bryant and the Cubs took a lot of heat off of what the Astros did with Springer at the time), but it's not universal.  Look at how the Orioles handled Machado, for instance.  

1 hour ago, HillaryFan420 said:

There was no reason whatsoever to send him to AAA for 67 PA in 2014 other than to hold him down just enough to get another year of control.  It was the most blatant and transparent shit ever.  Other teams have certainly been guilty of it (Bryant and the Cubs took a lot of heat off of what the Astros did with Springer at the time), but it's not universal.  Look at how the Orioles handled Machado, for instance.  

They brought up Machado in August of 2012 and they were a playoff team. They had incentive to try to make their team better. 

The 2014 Astros were not going to be contenders. They had incentive to delay Springer's promotion. 

1 hour ago, HillaryFan420 said:

I meant prior to 2014 why he didn’t move quicker. Yeah it was transparent. It was also the right move 

7 hours ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Oh I agree. Really just meant the immediate gratification of fans, particularly the short-sighted, casual fans. I 100% wanted them to keep Springer down for the first 1/3 of that season because it was always the right thing to do. 

yeah, i just get frustrated when people act like the team benefits and everyone else gets screwed.

keeping good players in the system is what the fans want.  everything else is noise generated from journalists and agents.

It's gonna suck if they lose Corpus.  That park is great.  The Ryan's are gonna lose money if they can't get the Ranger back.  You have to thinking switch their allegiance back and forth between the Astros and Rangers is eventually going to piss off both teams enough to the point neither one will want anything to do with them.

Edited by kevwun
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Horny Bull said:

So fucking stupid but Crane has reportedly been fixated on this for awhile.  Which would you rather, a link to expand your fan base in central Texas where you are in competition with the Rangers or to cannibalize your existing fan base 30 minutes away?

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, WBT said:

So fucking stupid but Crane has reportedly been fixated on this for awhile.  Which would you rather, a link to expand your fan base in central Texas where you are in competition with the Rangers or to cannibalize your existing fan base 30 minutes away?

I think you’re overestimating the effect a minor league team has on the big league club’s fan base. Plus , I can understand Crane’s desire to own his minor league affiliates. Also, Crane’s and the Ryan’s relationship is strained to say the least. 

2 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

I guess the Hooks will be next to go. 

2 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Yep, wouldn't be a shock.

1 hour ago, Mez2 said:

Think corpus is staying AA, I've heard lots of talk about Skeeters going to Astros for a while, hope it works out for everyone involved

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

It's gonna suck if they lose Corpus.  That park is great.  The Ryan's are gonna lose money if they can't get the Ranger back.  You have to thinking switch their allegiance back and forth between the Astros and Rangers is eventually going to piss off both teams enough to the point neither one will want anything to do with them.

The Astros purchased the Hooks away from the Ryan’s.  Corpus will remains Houston’s AA affiliate.  The Astros also own their High A affiliate.  Crane wants to own all his minor league teams.  I don’t know if the expectation is that they will further reduce to only 3 full season affiliates, or Crane will buy the Quad Cities A ball team, or something else.

It is likely the Express will become the Rangers AA team, with Frisco moving up to AAA.  Really sucks that Houston gave up the Austin market so easily but I understand why they are doing it.

• Hook 'Em 1

Being an Astros fan who lives in Austin and is an avid follower of the minor leagues, having the Astros AAA team in Round Rock was a big deal to me. I got one year, and because I have small kids and live in SW Austin I only made it to 3 games.  It totally sucks that they are gonna go back to the Rangers.

• Hook 'Em 3

Minor league baseball(& hockey) is awesome.  Hell, our team up here is with the Padres, but I still enjoy going.  Of course, when the Hooks are in town, that’s even mo betta.

2020 sucked without the minor league season.

2 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

Being an Astros fan who lives in Austin and is an avid follower of the minor leagues, having the Astros AAA team in Round Rock was a big deal to me. I got one year, and because I have small kids and live in SW Austin I only made it to 3 games.  It totally sucks that they are gonna go back to the Rangers.

Brother?

I live in central-ish Austin but otherwise this is me to a T.

my 6 yo is going to hate hearing this news....at least until he realizes they’ll still sell hot dogs regardless of team affiliation.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

I think you’re overestimating the effect a minor league team has on the big league club’s fan base. Plus , I can understand Crane’s desire to own his minor league affiliates. Also, Crane’s and the Ryan’s relationship is strained to say the least. 

we’ve met several astros fans @laa games who know and liked the team from their lancaster involvement. it’s not nothing. 

11 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

Mf this blows.

Waited ~10 years to get Round Rock back under the Astros. Get one season. And then a fucking pandemic

I stepped foot in Dell Diamond for the first all year this past Friday... for bullriding

Yeah this is a real blow for me personally. I'm just a couple of minutes north of Dell Diamond and purchased a mini season ticket package this year only for covid to scrap it. I was looking forward to applying that package to next season and now it looks like it's Rangers turf AGAIN. 

I absolutely hate this. Fuck you Jim Crane. 

• Hook 'Em 2

30 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

So when the Express/Astros affiliation was announced, it was a 4 year deal.

those last 2 years just vanish?

or like all things, everything has a price?

Basically yes. MLB's power move over MiLB franchises rendered every minor league team a FA so those affiliates are free to hook up with a different parent organization.

2 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

I don't think there is any doubt Greinke is as close to a 1st ballot HOF guy currently in the MLB.

I think Greinke gets in, but not sure he is first ballot. Might depend on who else is on the ballot. 208 wins (and counting) will keep him off some of the old timer's ballots in the first year. JV likely has a better shot at making it in on first ballot. 

The surest first ballot guy currently on a roster, imo, is Brad's friend Albert. 

Edited by Jacob McCandles

3 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

I’m amazed someone claimed mayfield 

Perhaps it’s a motivational play.

for the pitchers: “hey, we can have a better batting average than a position player!”

and for the hitters to stay above Mayfield’s spot in order: “dude, you’re batting below the Mayfield line tonight. May want to take some extra bp this week.”

9 hours ago, Mack Tripper said:

I’m amazed that they couldn’t find a trade to get something back for Armenteros.

Was my first thought too, but he's 26 and has thrown 18 total big league innings (none in 2020). He also wasn't particularly good in AAA in '18 or '19 - especially '19 (though the PCL is a hitters league). 

Edited by Hank Chinaski