October 2020 Site Refresh

immamac

Maybe it's just how I surf this site.

When I open a thread, I read it. Upon finishing, if I want to stay in the same forum, I click Go to Topic Listing at the bottom of the page. If I want to visit another forum, I click on one of the forums linked at the top of the page or at the bottom of the page. If a forum is not linked on that banner or closing forums section, I normally do not visit those forums. For example, I usually don't ever visit Pee in Butt because it's not linked. I'm lazy like that. I imagine there are many other idiots just like me.

Now I'll probably only sometimes visit 6th Street forum because I'm too lazy to click a few links to get there when I'm already in a thread.

2 hours ago, crash_davis said:

When I open a thread, I read it. Upon finishing, if I want to stay in the same forum, I click Go to Topic Listing at the bottom of the page. If I want to visit another forum, I click on one of the forums linked at the top of the page or at the bottom of the page. If a forum is not linked on that banner or closing forums section, I normally do not visit those forums. For example, I usually don't ever visit Pee in Butt because it's not linked. I'm lazy like that. I imagine there are many other idiots just like me.

Now I'll probably only sometimes visit 6th Street forum because I'm too lazy to click a few links to get there when I'm already in a thread.

Seriously click the one button up top to switch to fluid. It will always just be a list of latest threads even on the home page. Just filter forums you don't want out or add them back in. 

Then when you go back to list or you click on the surlyhorns logo up top poof list of threads across all boards. 

3 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

spacer.png

It’s that black box just to the left of the orange ‘Start new topic’. People won’t use it, imma has tried to push it before. 

i was doing a ctrl-f. 

there's a live view that might actually be more interesting.  at the very top under the activity menu select 'all activity'

Edited by elfenix

15 hours ago, immamac said:

Seriously click the one button up top to switch to fluid. It will always just be a list of latest threads even on the home page. Just filter forums you don't want out or add them back in. 

Then when you go back to list or you click on the surlyhorns logo up top poof list of threads across all boards. 

Cosmo Kramer Mind Blown GIF

This is going to take some getting used to, but whoa.

purgatory instruction needs a bit more added to it:

Once you are in purgatory you cannot see rep you receive and from whom, you also cannot give rep. If you start a topic that gets you the good will of community saving you then you can rejoin. If you are still a piece of shit you can get fucked and be gone until you re-register as "[YourUserName] 2.0"

Edited by elfenix

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

I feel like this site just turned into a really complicated board game.

Not being able to see rep or give rep seems like a win.

Now if rep comments were in play... different discussion.

Edited by slorch

27 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Hi @immamac my profile says Surly 1% but I cannot communicate with my elitist brethren on the special forum for certified surly badasses.  Guess tree-fiddy doesn't get you shit anymore. 

Yeah me too.  I guess we're just not 1% enough.  It must be like 1% of 1%, or maybe they just don't like us.  I know I don't like me.

On 10/19/2020 at 4:35 PM, crash_davis said:

Was just coming here to post this.  Can we have 6th Street added to the forum listings at the top and bottom of page?

I will also give this fluid view a try.

Can those with "You Can't Sit With US" privileges sell access to those without? 

I envision a system like season ticket holders selling tickets to games they won't be attending.  Someone could say sell their rights to posting in said forum on a specific date. 

50% of earnings go to Surly to offset the cost of setting up and managing such a system.  YCSWU members can earn money due to their prestige, Surly has another revenue stream, and guys like me get a chance to experience elite staus, if only on special occasions.

All parties involved win!