Get your shit together AT@T

Seriously they are a dog shit company that has me by the balls because no other company wants to run cable to my edge of the city neighborhood.  

Their website is shit.  Currently in two separate pages they have my service listed as Costing $48 a month, and $96 a month meanwhile I'm actually paying like $62.  This is for shitty 12 mb service.  Website navigation is turrible.  Att.net actually takes you to some Yahoo portal... Like c'mon man Yahoo is dead, I just want to see my bills and shit. 

I tried to upgrade.  People in the phone can't offer the discount on the website... Wtf?  

Ok I order online.  Choose an install date, all good right?  Nope, email confirms the day I chose, get a txt message telling me install is actually two days later.  So i call back.. sorry boss can't do anything about it.

Ok, I cancel the upgrade, turn around and process online again. Choose another available slot.  Order goes through, email confirms.  A minute later, txt message shows install the day after I chose.  Wtf?  So I call up again. 

Get this... I selected Wednesday 1-3 for install online... It then kicked me to Thursday 8-12.. guy in phone says Wednesday 12-4 I available.  It's like their online appointment system does not actually match their actual appointment system. For a company that all they do is technology they sure are shitty at it. 

Good news is I'll be paying about 30% more for 200% faster service.  But people about 3 miles away can pay the same amount for Google fiber.... oh plus I get the honor of paying them $7 a month for their shitty modem/router.   

I don't expect them to be perfect but they've had 20 years to get this internet and website thing right... and it's still a steaming pile of shit.

End of rant.  

They have always been shit. I can’t get any internet except for them in my neighborhood. Apparently they are installing google fiber soon.

During the pandemic, they shut down their tech support line for internet because everyone is on the web.

Shit company.

It also doesn’t help that they have an easement close to my house with a cable box where they leave trash 100% of the time.

13 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Seriously they are a dog shit company that has me by the balls because no other company wants to run cable to my edge of the city neighborhood.  

Their website is shit.  Currently in two separate pages they have my service listed as Costing $48 a month, and $96 a month meanwhile I'm actually paying like $62.  This is for shitty 12 mb service.  Website navigation is turrible.  Att.net actually takes you to some Yahoo portal... Like c'mon man Yahoo is dead, I just want to see my bills and shit. 

I tried to upgrade.  People in the phone can't offer the discount on the website... Wtf?  

Ok I order online.  Choose an install date, all good right?  Nope, email confirms the day I chose, get a txt message telling me install is actually two days later.  So i call back.. sorry boss can't do anything about it.

Ok, I cancel the upgrade, turn around and process online again. Choose another available slot.  Order goes through, email confirms.  A minute later, txt message shows install the day after I chose.  Wtf?  So I call up again. 

Get this... I selected Wednesday 1-3 for install online... It then kicked me to Thursday 8-12.. guy in phone says Wednesday 12-4 I available.  It's like their online appointment system does not actually match their actual appointment system. For a company that all they do is technology they sure are shitty at it. 

Good news is I'll be paying about 30% more for 200% faster service.  But people about 3 miles away can pay the same amount for Google fiber.... oh plus I get the honor of paying them $7 a month for their shitty modem/router.   

I don't expect them to be perfect but they've had 20 years to get this internet and website thing right... and it's still a steaming pile of shit.

End of rant.  

The whole old AT&T connection with Yahoo created problems with a relative's AT&T account page. Did you have one of those sbcglobal.net account's at one point, or still?

I recall having to email and call several times to get AT&T to sever the electronic link between the two. At that point, the two companies didn't really talk to each other but there was still a data link. 

They are the worst.  I had a long thread about them on TOS, but I live 12 miles outside of a town of ~35k people and they are the only hard-wired option for my street.  The guy we bought the house from had AT&T DSL and I called the day after we closed on the house and they told me they couldn't offer service because there were "no nodes left" on their panel at the end of street.  Which was obviously not true, but they told me we were on a waiting list and would get the next one that came available.  I tried to escalate the issue, would stop and talk to their service techs when I'd see one on the street, filed a complaint with the FCC, etc. with no luck.  The techs would even tell me they would give me service if they could, but that they were forbidden by "home office" to do that.

This was 2016 and I'm still waiting for that next node to come available.  Assbags.

Edited by The Royal We

Also I found out a few weeks ago att installed some sort of upgrade at the neighborhood junction box or whatever it's called.  Maybe that's why they can now offer the lightning speed of 45 mb instead of the 24mb I could have gotten 6 months ago.

I get not wanting to spend the money laying fiber for a neighborhood with at most 200 houses but why upgrade from shit speed to slightly less shit speed.  

I mean Google laid fiber by cutting and filling a "trench" that was at most a thumbs width, you telling me att doesn't have access to the same machines?  

I'm really close to going with a wireless provider.  If I can get a consistent 50mb out of a 4 or 5g service I'd jump at it. I get flyers from "rise" broadband and every time I call they advertise higher and higher speeds, but when I go to place the order they tell me JK you actually don't get service.  

1 hour ago, The Royal We said:

They are the worse.  I had a long thread about them on TOS, but I live 12 miles outside of a town of ~35k people and they are the only hard-wired option for my street.  The guy we bought the house from had AT&T DSL and I called the day after we closed on the house and they told me they couldn't offer service because there were "no nodes left" on their panel at the end of street.  Which was obviously not true, but they told me we were on a waiting list and would get the next one that came available.  I tried to escalate the issue, would stop and talk to their service techs when I'd see one on the street, filed a complaint with the FCC, etc. with no luck.  The techs would even tell me they would give me service if they could, but that they were forbidden by "home office" to do that.

This was 2016 and I'm still waiting for that next node to come available.  Assbags.

Didn't AT&T just announce that they would not sign up any new DSL customers?

I think that is correct.  My SIL closed on a house in our hood a few weeks ago and they had it in the contract that the seller would assign/rename their AT&T account over to them, trying to avoid disconnecting service.  AT&T refused to change the account and cited some new rule they have as of 10/1/2020 that they will no longer offer any DSL service.  I figured that was another "no nodes available" type story to run people off, but I guess it's an official position now.

My only option for a truly unlimited plan is long-range wireless offered by a company called East Texas DSL.  They have towers all over the place out here in the sticks where they use Ubiquiti gear to beam the internet around.  I've got a 50' tower on the side of my house with a Ubiquiti receiver at the top that delivers a blazing 3 mb/s to me for ~$50/month.  I'm delighted to have it because it's the only f'n option besides a hotspot from Verizon and that's capped at 15 gb/month.

Decent internet service in rural areas is a real problem.  Starlink can't get here fast enough.