Windows 10 dropping intergoogles

Superhero

I recently upgraded my 10 year old Dell with a SSD. I done goofed along the way and had to reinstall Windows 7 from recovery disks CDs, then upgrade to Windows 10.

The SSD and extra 8GB of RAM breathed new life into the computer, but now it will randomly drop the internet. It’s still connected to the WiFi router, but every once in a while, it’ll give me a error message. I’ve updated the driver, uninstalled the device, tried all the ipconfig commands, did some other stuff I don’t remember. I read that other people have this problem with Windows 10. I’m miffed because my computer was running Windows 10 for the past 3 years without problem, now it’s just making me angry.

Has anyone had the problem and fixed it? I’m gonna run this puppy into the ground unless I absolutely to. 

8 hours ago, Superhero said:

I recently upgraded my 10 year old Dell with a SSD. I done goofed along the way and had to reinstall Windows 7 from recovery disks CDs, then upgrade to Windows 10.

The SSD and extra 8GB of RAM breathed new life into the computer, but now it will randomly drop the internet. It’s still connected to the WiFi router, but every once in a while, it’ll give me a error message. I’ve updated the driver, uninstalled the device, tried all the ipconfig commands, did some other stuff I don’t remember. I read that other people have this problem with Windows 10. I’m miffed because my computer was running Windows 10 for the past 3 years without problem, now it’s just making me angry.

Has anyone had the problem and fixed it? I’m gonna run this puppy into the ground unless I absolutely to. 

What's the error message? And are you sure it is the computer and not the router?

Also, why not just do a fresh Windows 10 install directly rather than first installing Windows 7? 

I had that problem after upgrading from Windows 7. It would drop out as much as 3-4 times per day, still connected to the WiFi but no internet. Disabling and re-enabling the adapter fixed it every time but was a pain in the ass. I got a USB WiFi adapter and still had the same problem. I tried a number of solutions I found online but none of them worked.

15 hours ago, Superhero said:

https://www.tenforums.com/gtsearch.php?cx=partner-pub-7156303416008077%3A205v6qk06j2&cof=FORID%3A9&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=no+wifi+after+win10+upgrde&sa.x=0&sa.y=0

Above forum thread has been my "go to" for Windows issues.   Several MSN reps and other experienced people.   May want to consider to join and ask a specific question.

Win10 continues to have issues with drivers though the cause could be elsewhere.  Did you update the driver from the Dell site ?    However,  they may no longer support your machine.   What has worked for me is to find an older driver,  even the original,  for my system.

I had this problem once after upgrading to a newer ver of windows but it wasn't win10. The problem was windows was fighting a non-native program (video card maybe) for control of wifi management. As soon as I disabled/unpermissioned the non-native program's control the problem stopped.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/20/2020 at 12:29 AM, BNB said:

my only suggestion would be to try to buy a new wifi usb stick for 10 or 20 dollars and test it, buy it from someplace you can take it back to easily.

I'm considering that, in fact have a TP-Link USB wifi adapter in my Amazon cart. But see DanRydell's post.

Do I need to physically uninstall the wifi card on the computer so it won't keep re-installing after I soft uninstall it?

On 10/20/2020 at 8:00 AM, Dahobbs said:

What's the error message? And are you sure it is the computer and not the router?

Also, why not just do a fresh Windows 10 install directly rather than first installing Windows 7? 

There's no error message generated.

The router is fine because all the other devices work fine. I have the Eero mesh network at home, which is awesome.

I didn't have a Window license key, so I had to use my recovery disk, which were generated back in 2010 Windows 7 days.  Which reminds me I need to create a recover USB using my current Windows 10 install for our computers at home.

23 hours ago, DanRydell said:

I had that problem after upgrading from Windows 7. It would drop out as much as 3-4 times per day, still connected to the WiFi but no internet. Disabling and re-enabling the adapter fixed it every time but was a pain in the ass. I got a USB WiFi adapter and still had the same problem. I tried a number of solutions I found online but none of them worked.

I feel your pain.

22 hours ago, torre said:

https://www.tenforums.com/gtsearch.php?cx=partner-pub-7156303416008077%3A205v6qk06j2&cof=FORID%3A9&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=no+wifi+after+win10+upgrde&sa.x=0&sa.y=0

Above forum thread has been my "go to" for Windows issues.   Several MSN reps and other experienced people.   May want to consider to join and ask a specific question.

Win10 continues to have issues with drivers though the cause could be elsewhere.  Did you update the driver from the Dell site ?    However,  they may no longer support your machine.   What has worked for me is to find an older driver,  even the original,  for my system.

Yeah, there have been several questions with the exact issue. I've tried all the solutions, but still randomly drop several times a day. It doesn't bother me THAT much if I'm just browsing or using it for work. But it shits on me quite a bit when I'm in the middle of a game, and that pisses me off.

I still have the driver disk from the original install. I'll run it to see if makes a difference (even though Windows 10 says I have the most updated version of the drivers).

17 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

I had this problem once after upgrading to a newer ver of windows but it wasn't win10. The problem was windows was fighting a non-native program (video card maybe) for control of wifi management. As soon as I disabled/unpermissioned the non-native program's control the problem stopped.

How do I do that?

9 minutes ago, Superhero said:

I'm considering that, in fact have a TP-Link USB wifi adapter in my Amazon cart. But see DanRydell's post.

Do I need to physically uninstall the wifi card on the computer so it won't keep re-installing after I soft uninstall it?

There's no error message generated.

The router is fine because all the other devices work fine. I have the Eero mesh network at home, which is awesome.

I didn't have a Window license key, so I had to use my recovery disk, which were generated back in 2010 Windows 7 days.  Which reminds me I need to create a recover USB using my current Windows 10 install for our computers at home.

I feel your pain.

Yeah, there have been several questions with the exact issue. I've tried all the solutions, but still randomly drop several times a day. It doesn't bother me THAT much if I'm just browsing or using it for work. But it shits on me quite a bit when I'm in the middle of a game, and that pisses me off.

I still have the driver disk from the original install. I'll run it to see if makes a difference (even though Windows 10 says I have the most updated version of the drivers).

How do I do that?

If you look in devices, the wifi "card" or adapter will be identified as something generic, like "WiFi Adapter" or something more specific, like Intel Network Manager or something specific to its manufacturer.  The generic name is the windows native driver, the mfr specific name is some variant of the OEM driver.  Intel is just an example, but is fairly likely.  Intel has a "suite" of features for its network cards that aren't particularly useful for the home nimrod.  Can probably uninstall all of that from Programs.

You can uninstall the mfr-specific driver and either install the windows native driver, or let it install itself, but it might try to install the Intel again.  Once you have something installed, it shouldn't default back to the Intel.

20 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

If you look in devices, the wifi "card" or adapter will be identified as something generic, like "WiFi Adapter" or something more specific, like Intel Network Manager or something specific to its manufacturer.  The generic name is the windows native driver, the mfr specific name is some variant of the OEM driver.  Intel is just an example, but is fairly likely.  Intel has a "suite" of features for its network cards that aren't particularly useful for the home nimrod.  Can probably uninstall all of that from Programs.

You can uninstall the mfr-specific driver and either install the windows native driver, or let it install itself, but it might try to install the Intel again.  Once you have something installed, it shouldn't default back to the Intel.

Thank you thank you thank you.

I popped in the Driver and Utilities CD last night, and clicked around blindly. In Device Manager, it identified the wireless card as a specific type of card instead of a generic 8.011n card. I rebooted and was able to play a game for about an hour without interruption. Thank again.

With a SSD and 16GB of RAM, and the wireless card working right, my Dell has a new life. I wouldn't be surprised if I can use it for another 5 years. Between our work and home computers, this 10 year old computer is the fastest of the lot.

Edited by Superhero
  • Hook 'Em 2

Glad it worked.  I haven't owned a PC with W10.  But I help my FIL troubleshoot his, which were W7 upgrades and are getting long in the tooth.

I'm not sure it would have occurred to me to switch to the windows default driver for your wifi, but it is a pretty good solution when it's hard to track down current drivers or things just stop working sort of mysteriously.  FIL has some mice and keyboards and things that may not quite be up to W10 snuff.  I can usually solve his problems without a whole lot of loss of function by switching to the generic drivers.