Boat Insurance

14 minutes ago, blacklab said:

Does spending 6 years in the navy and driving a submarine count?

Probably.  It’s a question they ask that has a significant effect on the rate.  I’ve never heard of anyone having to provide any sort of proof.  I would just tell them that you drove all kinds of watercraft in the Navy.  First time boaters generally suck at boating for a while.  SF seems to prefer insuring such people after they get through that period of suckage.

First sub I was on, no wrecks.

Second one had a good collision with a russian boat a few years before I came aboard.

While trying to park it at Mare Island we hit the bottom several times as they hadn't been dredging the Napa river very often as there were not many boats going through. Ship was getting decommissioned anyway so no claims were made against the insurance. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, blacklab said:

First sub I was on, no wrecks.

Second one had a good collision with a russian boat a few years before I came aboard.

While trying to park it at Mare Island we hit the bottom several times as they hadn't been dredging the Napa river very often as there were not many boats going through. Ship was getting decommissioned anyway so no claims were made against the insurance. 

As long as you didn’t lose the submarine you should be fine.

5 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I used to have progressive.  I assume they were good, luckily I only paid in. There’s a guy on 2cool that tons of people use. If I can find a minute, I’ll try and dig up his info.  

That guy is with Charter Lakes, it's who I went through to get insured by Chubb.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/20/2020 at 3:44 PM, Reagan1k said:

I have had good luck with Atlantic Specialty Insurance (Boaters Choice).

Had a significant claim and it was a smooth process.  Premiums were very reasonable and I did not get an increase or worse yet dropped after a claim.

YMMV.

I used to use these guys when I was in boat finance.  They were outstanding and their premiums are very hard to beat.  They'll probably send you to Chubb for inland lakes though.  ASIC mainly focuses on coastal areas. 

On 10/20/2020 at 12:39 PM, conVINCEd said:

State Farm is normally pretty good if you have previous boating experience.

On 10/20/2020 at 1:18 PM, conVINCEd said:

Probably.  It’s a question they ask that has a significant effect on the rate.  I’ve never heard of anyone having to provide any sort of proof.  I would just tell them that you drove all kinds of watercraft in the Navy.  First time boaters generally suck at boating for a while.  SF seems to prefer insuring such people after they get through that period of suckage.

This is right ^

My SF agent was really pushing getting me to answer yes to that question.  Once I finally picked up on what she was throwing down, she kind of walked me around to saying that my parents used to have a boat and I drove it quite a bit.  Not entirely true...they rented a boat one weekend and I drove it a couple times.  But they didn't didn't ask for that level of specifics and apparently that was enough to qualify for having "boating experience".  And I don't remember what the discount was, but I remember that it was a shockingly significant savings.

And fuck Progressive straight in the ass with no lube...I'll never use that company again.  Worst company ever for a claim I had to make once.

2 hours ago, Landomatic said:

This is right ^

My SF agent was really pushing getting me to answer yes to that question.  Once I finally picked up on what she was throwing down, she kind of walked me around to saying that my parents used to have a boat and I drove it quite a bit.  Not entirely true...they rented a boat one weekend and I drove it a couple times.  But they didn't didn't ask for that level of specifics and apparently that was enough to qualify for having "boating experience".  And I don't remember what the discount was, but I remember that it was a shockingly significant savings.

And fuck Progressive straight in the ass with no lube...I'll never use that company again.  Worst company ever for a claim I had to make once.

You had a SF agent who didn’t want you to run around getting quotes from 15 different insurance companies over a ridiculous premium on a boat, because you might call the other companies about the boat, but they would end up quoting your home, cars, PLUP, PAP, etc.  I don’t know what the difference In premium is today, but a few years ago it was nearly double.