Joe Buck & Troy Aikman Forget Hot Mics are On; Mock the NFL's Flyovers

Vic Mackey

Lulz

The broadcast booth, like the press box, is always located in an elevated area of an arena or stadium.

And on Sunday, it allowed FOX’s Joe Buck and Troy Aikman the perfect vantage point to see just how ridiculous the NFL’s continued faux patriotism is, just weeks from Election Day.

There was a pregame military flyover before the Tampa Bay-Green Bay game, as if fighter pilots and football go together like baseball, hot dogs, and apple pie.

Aikman: That’s a lot of jet fuel just to do a little flyover.

Buck: That’s your hard-earned money and your tax dollars at work!

Aikman: That stuff ain’t happening with [a] Kamala-Biden ticket. I’ll tell you that right now, partner.

The comments were caught on a hot mic, and the off-the-cuff remarks point to a lie that the NFL has been trying to push down the throats of Americans for years. Because if the NFL was so patriotic, then they wouldn’t have accepted cash from the Defense Department to disperse to teams for the purpose of waving the stars and stripes around.

Besides 9/11 and the Super Bowl, teams weren’t even mandated to be on the field for the national anthem until 2009. But then, there was an initiative that included at least 14 NFL teams getting paid to put on “elaborate patriotic salutes” between 2011 and 2014.

Check this out from a 2017 article from ThinkProgress.com.

“Overall, the Defense Department spent at least $10.4 million on ‘marketing and advertising contracts with professional sports teams’ across the board between 2012 and 2015, although, the report noted, the department ‘[could not] accurately account’ for the full number of contracts and payouts it had awarded. ‘It only reported 62 percent (76 of 122) of its contracts and 70 percent ($7.3 million) of its spending in its response to our inquiry,” wrote Arizona Senators Jeff Flake(R) and John McCain (R).

And they add this.

“Even with that disclosure, it is hard to understand how a team accepting taxpayer funds to sponsor a military appreciation game, or to recognize wounded warriors or returning troops, can be construed as anything other than paid patriotism.”

And according to CNN, the Department of Defense spent $6.8 million on “paid patriotism” between 2012 and 2015 amongst 50 teams from the NBA, NFL, MLB, MLS, and NASCAR.

In 2016 – the year of Colin Kaepernick and Trump – it was reported that the NFL would pay back taxpayers more than $720,000 for the “paid patriotism” that the teams took from the military. At the time, Roger Goodell admitted that an audit discovered that $723,734 “may have been mistakenly applied to appreciation activities rather than recruitment efforts” in a four-season span.

“This amount will be promptly returned in full to the taxpayers,” Goodell told McCain and Flake.

“These recruitment efforts are intended to be separate and apart from the NFL’s long standing support of the service members and families who have dedicated their lives to serving this great country.”

Before his passing, McCain called out the other leagues that took money from the government, suggesting that they cut a refund check, too.

“I applaud the NFL’s audit in response to our oversight investigation into ‘paid patriotism.’ Returning the $723,000 is the right thing to do. But the NFL is only one of several sports leagues we identified that accepted money from the Pentagon in return for honoring our troops. The other organizations – Major League Baseball, the National Hockey League, National Basketball Association and Major League Soccer – should also conduct an audit and return the money or donate it to service members, veterans and their families. We’ll be working to once again include language in the defense authorization bill that would fully ensure the Defense Department never again spends American tax dollars to honor our troops.”

Over the last few years, there has been an ongoing conversation about the need for the national anthem to be played before athletic contests. And situations like this are why the age old tradition needs to be put to rest.

• Hook 'Em 1

Flyovers are very meh to me and I don't see the point unless it is a special game. Wasn't it that way before? When I was younger I don't remember every game having a flyover but I do remember how cool it was to see and set the stage for the big games. 

Edited by Zepol87
  • Hook 'Em 2

Agreed, flyovers are fucking badass.  Waste of money?  Sure.  But brings back all kinds of Chillz from childhood and air shows with dad and grandpa and my Navy vet relatives.  

That said, the white NFL fanbase titling a certain way in 2020 can suck a bag of black dicks and choke to death along with their false messiah.  /noCR because I'm obviously talking about a certain bi-racial skill position player running for federal office.  

Edited by Lobo

2 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Flyovers are a waste but Aikman's wrong, there were plenty of wasteful flyovers under Obama/Biden too.

Yes. And plenty of "sponsored acts of patriotism" as well.  It's been going on for decades and it's all wasteful and dumb. 

But then, I'm not the target audience.  Gotta recruit someone to go fill out our Team America: World Police department.

Flyovers are very meh to me and I don't see the point unless it is a special game. Wasn't it that way before? When I was younger I don't remember every game having a flyover but I do remember how cool it was to see and set the stage for the big games. 

Wanna know how I know you weren’t at the 2006 Rose Bowl when the Stealth Bomber did the pregame flyover?
  • Hook 'Em 5

8 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Flyovers are a waste but Aikman's wrong, there were plenty of wasteful flyovers under Obama/Biden too.

Yep. And under the insert president here administration. Hell, even the Canadians do it. Best Got damn F-18 flyover I ever saw was at the 2018 Canadian Grand Prix.

• Hook 'Em 1

As a general rule you shouldn't have flyovers when there are more people in the plane than in the stands. 

But it doesn't get any better than this at the Rose Bowl.  Seeing that thing quietly make its way from the north end of the stadium, then over the bowl with the San Gabriels in the background. 

Jaw-dropping shit. 

CZmMfqSUYAAQHBB.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

It’s a recruitment tool and the flyovers are often worked into training missions. It doesn’t remotely ruffle my feathers. 

I was gonna say, aren't they built into the training costs?  Fly over nothing, fly over Suburbia, USA or fly over a stadium, but either way, the time, the fuel and the flying is built into the pilot training regardless. 

• Hook 'Em 4

11 minutes ago, The Earl of Texas said:

The flyover of the B1 Lancer at the Rose Bowl was the sickest shit ever and if you weren’t there to see it you fucking suck and you don’t know shit about flyovers.

It came in, and was like brrrrrraaawwwww and then it hit the afterburners like gusssshhhhaaaawwwww and off it went! Wowza.

I liked the one so low and loud that it fucked up Adzillatron.

13 minutes ago, The Earl of Texas said:

The flyover of the B1 Lancer at the Rose Bowl was the sickest shit ever and if you weren’t there to see it you fucking suck and you don’t know shit about flyovers.

It came in, and was like brrrrrraaawwwww and then it hit the afterburners like gusssshhhhaaaawwwww and off it went! Wowza.

Yes, it was good. 

High-quality, I know:

• Hook 'Em 4

39 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Whether or not they're wasteful seems debatable, but the fact that they're not a partisan issue, at all, isn't.

A stupid comment from Troy Aikman.  Let me put on my shocked expression.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TexArcher said:

Whether or not they're wasteful seems debatable, but the fact that they're not a partisan issue, at all, isn't.

A stupid comment from Troy Aikman.  Let me put on my shocked expression.

You don’t think the “Kamala-Biden” ticket will put an end to military recruiting?

56 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Lulz

The broadcast booth, like the press box, is always located in an elevated area of an arena or stadium.

And on Sunday, it allowed FOX’s Joe Buck and Troy Aikman the perfect vantage point to see just how ridiculous the NFL’s continued faux patriotism is, just weeks from Election Day.

There was a pregame military flyover before the Tampa Bay-Green Bay game, as if fighter pilots and football go together like baseball, hot dogs, and apple pie.

Aikman: That’s a lot of jet fuel just to do a little flyover.

Buck: That’s your hard-earned money and your tax dollars at work!

Aikman: That stuff ain’t happening with [a] Kamala-Biden ticket. I’ll tell you that right now, partner.

The comments were caught on a hot mic, and the off-the-cuff remarks point to a lie that the NFL has been trying to push down the throats of Americans for years. Because if the NFL was so patriotic, then they wouldn’t have accepted cash from the Defense Department to disperse to teams for the purpose of waving the stars and stripes around.

Besides 9/11 and the Super Bowl, teams weren’t even mandated to be on the field for the national anthem until 2009. But then, there was an initiative that included at least 14 NFL teams getting paid to put on “elaborate patriotic salutes” between 2011 and 2014.

Check this out from a 2017 article from ThinkProgress.com.

“Overall, the Defense Department spent at least $10.4 million on ‘marketing and advertising contracts with professional sports teams’ across the board between 2012 and 2015, although, the report noted, the department ‘[could not] accurately account’ for the full number of contracts and payouts it had awarded. ‘It only reported 62 percent (76 of 122) of its contracts and 70 percent ($7.3 million) of its spending in its response to our inquiry,” wrote Arizona Senators Jeff Flake(R) and John McCain (R).

And they add this.

“Even with that disclosure, it is hard to understand how a team accepting taxpayer funds to sponsor a military appreciation game, or to recognize wounded warriors or returning troops, can be construed as anything other than paid patriotism.”

And according to CNN, the Department of Defense spent $6.8 million on “paid patriotism” between 2012 and 2015 amongst 50 teams from the NBA, NFL, MLB, MLS, and NASCAR.

In 2016 – the year of Colin Kaepernick and Trump – it was reported that the NFL would pay back taxpayers more than $720,000 for the “paid patriotism” that the teams took from the military. At the time, Roger Goodell admitted that an audit discovered that $723,734 “may have been mistakenly applied to appreciation activities rather than recruitment efforts” in a four-season span.

“This amount will be promptly returned in full to the taxpayers,” Goodell told McCain and Flake.

“These recruitment efforts are intended to be separate and apart from the NFL’s long standing support of the service members and families who have dedicated their lives to serving this great country.”

Before his passing, McCain called out the other leagues that took money from the government, suggesting that they cut a refund check, too.

“I applaud the NFL’s audit in response to our oversight investigation into ‘paid patriotism.’ Returning the $723,000 is the right thing to do. But the NFL is only one of several sports leagues we identified that accepted money from the Pentagon in return for honoring our troops. The other organizations – Major League Baseball, the National Hockey League, National Basketball Association and Major League Soccer – should also conduct an audit and return the money or donate it to service members, veterans and their families. We’ll be working to once again include language in the defense authorization bill that would fully ensure the Defense Department never again spends American tax dollars to honor our troops.”

Over the last few years, there has been an ongoing conversation about the need for the national anthem to be played before athletic contests. And situations like this are why the age old tradition needs to be put to rest.

Real even-handed commentary in the write-up there.  Did you get this straight off the Biden-Harris campaign website?

59 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Perhaps you missed the part about there being practically no people in the stadium.

I don't recall a pandemic during the Obama/Biden presidency, but I was out of the country for about 5 1/2  to 6 years of it, so I may have missed it.

I'm thinking that they felt that the cost of the flyover could have been put to better use during a pandemic.

And I'm thinking that they are right.

• Hook 'Em 1

flyovers are cool. i could do without the military paying the leagues for them. tho i don't think they do that any more. 

27 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Yes, it was good. 

High-quality, I know:

better quality than ABC broadcast before the game.  i think the camera guy and trailer were surprised at how fast it was going. 

Edited by elfenix

1 minute ago, Napoleon said:

Perhaps you missed the part about there being practically no people in the stadium.

I don't recall a pandemic during the Obama/Biden presidency, but I was out of the country for about 5 1/2  to 6 years of it, so I may have missed it.

I'm thinking that they felt that the cost of the flyover could have been put to better use during a pandemic.

And I'm thinking that they are right.

Perhaps you missed the part about the flyovers being part of training flights.  The pilots are training anyway, so what's the big deal?  It makes good television even if the stands are empty, so complaining about them is just complaining to be complaining.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Blackcat00 said:

And of course Joe Buck is the pussy to think Flyovers are not cool. 

no one says flyovers are not cool.  but it's cheaper to fly over kansas for training than it is to fly to tampa.

and it's just bad optics at this trying time.

also, the guy driving at the rose bowl.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_W._Tibbets_IV

• Hook 'Em 1

58 minutes ago, The Earl of Texas said:

I was at an OSU-Texas game at DKR in the late 90s.... early 2000s?  Can't remember what year but it was when we were still super shitty and you guys curb-stomped us.... but the one thing I remember about that trip was a B-1 doing a flyover at the game and I thought my ear drums were going to explode.

1 minute ago, oSuJeff97 said:

I was at an OSU-Texas game at DKR in the late 90s.... early 2000s?  Can't remember what year but it was when we were still super shitty and you guys curb-stomped us.... but the one thing I remember about that trip was a B-1 doing a flyover at the game and I thought my ear drums were going to explode.

UT generally has a flyover at the game closest to Veteran's Day.