Cleburn: Can anyone tell me about this town

SKJ

May end up being sent down there for a thing for work. 

I can take it or leave it. I'd be down there 2 weeks for work. 

It's south of Dallas, but I'd be stuck there pretty much for work as I'd fly into Dallas and then be taken down there by the regional director, whom I don't know. 

Little Intel?

It’s a non- descript 30K population framing town / county seat.  It’s not awful and it’s not great.   

You’ll have a Tractor Supply, Chicken Express, WB, McD’s and other assorted chain restaurants.   You may find a decent local establishment.  

It’s been 20+ years since I’ve darkened the streets of Cleburne. 

Are you going to meet at the James Hardie Building Products plant?

6 hours ago, SKJ said:

May end up being sent down there for a thing for work. 

I can take it or leave it. I'd be down there 2 weeks for work. 

It's south of Dallas, but I'd be stuck there pretty much for work as I'd fly into Dallas and then be taken down there by the regional director, whom I don't know. 

Little Intel?

It's halfway from FTW to Fossil Rim which is a badass park.  I used to go through on the way to visit my grandparents, never had a reason to stop.

My old hometown, all my family still lives there. It was a pretty rough old railroad town when I was little. My old man worked at the shops as a railroad blacksmith. Now that the shops are closed, Cleburne has become about 50% hispanic. Frame houses built in the 40s-60s for railroad workers can be bought for well under $100k. Nothing really to do there, not a lot of good restaurants.

Immac is right, I would stay around Bryant Irvin in Ft. Worth and take a 20 minute ride down Chisholm Trail Parkway to Cleburne. You are going to have to have a rental car anyway.

CHIEF

2 hours ago, CHIEF said:

My old hometown, all my family still lives there. It was a pretty rough old railroad town when I was little. My old man worked at the shops as a railroad blacksmith. Now that the shops are closed, Cleburne has become about 50% hispanic. Frame houses built in the 40s-60s for railroad workers can be bought for well under $100k. Nothing really to do there, not a lot of good restaurants.

Immac is right, I would stay around Bryant Irvin in Ft. Worth and take a 20 minute ride down Chisholm Trail Parkway to Cleburne. You are going to have to have a rental car anyway.

CHIEF

Sounds like you need a wingman.  Take Vic. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, deadshank said:

It’s a non- descript 30K population framing town / county seat.  It’s not awful and it’s not great.   

You’ll have a Tractor Supply, Chicken Express, WB, McD’s and other assorted chain restaurants.   You may find a decent local establishment.  

It’s been 20+ years since I’ve darkened the streets of Cleburne. 

Are you going to meet at the James Hardie Building Products plant?

Wasn't planning on it 

5 hours ago, immamac said:

Fort worth closer than Dallas. Hang out in FTW it's a good time. There's a toll road to cleburn from there. 

Yeah,  I don't think im going to go.  Seems like I'd be stuck there for two weeks and that doesn't sound fun.

4 hours ago, CHIEF said:

CHIEF

That's one of the reasons they asked me,  I think,  because I speak Spanish. 

It's a country town with its main industry (railroading) dying off.

Probably alright if you want to downshift for a couple weeks and there's cool stuff relatively nearby. 

There's a turntable or was, in the BNSF yard there.  That was kind of cool.  But only for 30 minutes or so.

showimage.php?id=668626&key=2155693

3 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

It's a country town with its main industry (railroading) dying off.

Probably alright if you want to downshift for a couple weeks and there's cool stuff relatively nearby. 

There's a turntable or was, in the BNSF yard there.  That was kind of cool.  But only for 30 minutes or so.

showimage.php?id=668626&key=2155693

Yeah, the old Santa Fe shops were pretty cool to go to in the early 70's, they had the turn table. That was still close enough to the "steam era" that they had a huge shed with about 5-10 old steam engines. Not any industrial places that will let you bring your 4 year old to climb all over everything anymore.

CHIEF