Abbott being Abbott

Mo Horn

2 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Good luck with that.  Quite a few people will at best not patronize and at worst protest and ridicule those businesses.

Yeah, we'll see harassment of any businesses that try to require masks.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Well since the Governor of Texas is trying to kill you, I'd say everyone is in 1B now.

I honestly was still battling a little guilt for signing up even though I'm technically 1B. Don't feel bad anymore. Wish I would have gotten an earlier appointment. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, LurkingHorn said:

I honestly was still battling a little guilt for signing up even though I'm technically 1B. Don't feel bad anymore. Wish I would have gotten an earlier appointment. 

I'm legit 1B, but I'm #85,000 something on the Denton County wait list. Wise Co doesn't even have one.

1 minute ago, RPM said:

I'm legit 1B, but I'm #85,000 something on the Denton County wait list. Wise Co doesn't even have one.

Check the CVS site every morning. I checked it the past 3 days and this morning there were a ton of appointments. I wouldn't wait for the county at this point. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, LurkingHorn said:

Check the CVS site every morning. I checked it the past 3 days and this morning there were a ton of appointments. I wouldn't wait for the county at this point. 

I've been checking the state site. There's zip for rural areas, but hubs are getting vaccine.

Just now, RPM said:

I've been checking the state site. There's zip for rural areas, but hubs are getting vaccine.

I booked my dad at CVS in Corsicana even though we're in DFW. There were also appointments available in Mineral Wells and Decatur. You're just going to have to be on top of it. When you're booking, you need to use a zip code in those towns so that the appointments will show up for you. 

7 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

you don't need a doctors note to get the shot.

It was tongue in cheek.  I'm asthmatic.  He said he's had dozens of patients with less-controlled asthma turned down.  I assume if you claim an illness that doesn't meet the standard,  you are rejected.

So, it basically comes down to lying on the form.

13 minutes ago, LurkingHorn said:

12 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

My doc says I don't qualify for 1B.

I guess I need to find a new doc, because this sucks.

If you can get to Amarillo, you might be golden. Pulled this off a FB Dallas neighborhood group:

PSA- if you are willing to drive or fly to Amarillo you can get the vaccine regardless of age or medical condition. You do not have to be in 1A or 1B. NO APPOINTMENT! Just walk in! It takes about 30 min including 15 min wait time after shot. Extremely organized and efficient!

Based on today's fuckery by Abbott, this might not be the worst idea in the world.

Edited by C-Man

16 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

It was tongue in cheek.  I'm asthmatic.  He said he's had dozens of patients with less-controlled asthma turned down.  I assume if you claim an illness that doesn't meet the standard,  you are rejected.

So, it basically comes down to lying on the form.

It’s going to sound a bit trite but I would be less worried about your asthma than if you are obese and/or have metabolic disease. Covid affects a different immune pathway that isn’t getting people with only asthma as sick like flu or other viral illnesses. Bizzare. It would be better to not have asthma but hopefully it will allay some fears.

However, IMO, even if things continue to improve, Abbott is about 3-4 weeks too early with this change. If we get through 1b.

Edited by Newdoc
Qualify my timing.
  • Hook 'Em 2

If Abbot has learned one thing from Trump, if you can do something to distract that is fucking crazy... then you can avoid scrutiny for your fuckups.

Abbot would rather make the story about "patriots and freedom" NO MATTER HOW MANY TEXANS IT KILLS rather than "we really fucked this ERCOT shit up didn't we!"

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

He essentially just canceled our spring break trip, because we are not going to any fun public places when there will be maskless fucking goons everywhere taking their "freedom" legs out for a spin. 

He also just consigned my extremely high-risk dad who only now got the first shot to more time being homebound.  

Heckuva job, Greggie

Edited by ChuckNorrisActionJeans
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, horn4life said:

If Abbot has learned one thing from Trump, if you can do something to distract that is fucking crazy... then you can avoid scrutiny for your fuckups.

Abbot would rather make the story about "patriots and freedom" NO MATTER HOW MANY TEXANS IT KILLS rather than "we really fucked this ERCOT shit up didn't we!"

Yup--that is entirely what this is about.  100%.

• Rage+1 1

Just now, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

He essentially just canceled our spring break trip, because we are not fucking going anywhere to fun places in public when there will be maskless fucking goons everywhere taking their "freedom" legs out for a spin. 

He also just consigned my extremely high-risk dad who only now got the first shot to more time being homebound.  

Heckuva job, Greggie

Just like on any spring break:  double bag* it and hope for the best!

*or mask

20 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Yep.  Good luck being an Asian owned business requiring masks.

Tuk Tuk Thai is BOOMING on manchaca/Stassney

This wasn’t a shot or anything, I just love them, my neighborhood, the people, and everyone should try it.

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I am SO fucking glad I am no longer in Texas.  Since I do not have a car here in the city, I did not change my DL over to a NY one.  Might be changing that over ASAP.  There should be zero pride from claiming to be from Texas.  What a shitshow.

This isn't the place to bag on Cuomo. But if he has a lick of sense, he'll reinstitute that travel ban/quarantine on Texans. So, it might be a good idea to just go ahead and change it for more pragmatic purposes.

• Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

wait, those last 2 don't make sense. 1) If situation warrants you can have further restrictions, but 2) you can't hold people accountable who refuse to follow those further restrictions.  Fuck you Abbott.

Also, I got my first shot last Thursday at HEB.  I have had asthma since childhood so am in 1B.  I took my medicine and a doctor's note with me in case they asked but they didn't. Also figured out that they don't care where you are coming from as long as you make your appointment.  THere were none in Austin, and there was one in Waco that got filled before I could snag a time.  I hit refresh and found one in Lockhart and snagged that one.  They also auto-book the second shot while you are getting your first shot so no concerns like you can see with Austin Public Health and their super messy process.

1.  Fuck up energy grid for a week so most Texans are without power, and thus water, during a deadly week-long winter storm.

2.  Because of that, millions of Texans can't get their vaccines for nearly two weeks between impassable roads, vaccination points without power, and then the subsequent disruption to the supply chain. 

3.  Because we're now two weeks behind where we should be in vaccination effort, remove all the community mitigation efforts. 

4.  ???

5.  Burn in hell.  

2 minutes ago, Grade of D as in David said:

Also if you are checking the heb site, refresh multiple times per hour.

They added a bunch of slots in the last hour, more than I've seen  in a week.  I got an appointment for Thursday.  Unfortunately, it's in La Vernia.

1 hour ago, Ghost of LL said:

I assume local regulations can stay in place.  And I fully expect that they will in many cities.

Maybe, however....

1 hour ago, Michael Knight said:

You can do whatever you want cities.  You just can't do ANYTHING about it when people don't take the suggestions that medical professionals make.  In other words, you can't do shit.  Well, you could die.  I guess you could do that.  Freedom!

Can't be said enough.  Fuck you Abbott!

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, bolverk said:

This isn't the place to bag on Cuomo. But if he has a lick of sense, he'll reinstitute that travel ban/quarantine on Texans. So, it might be a good idea to just go ahead and change it for more pragmatic purposes.

I agree with you.  I dislike Cuomo immensely, and have been very vocal about my criticisms of him and ole Warren Wilhelm Jr. (i.e. Bill deBlasio), but this is Trump level stupidity from Abbott.  

It is being caused by 2 things.  

1.  Trying to distract from the abject failure during the winter storm, and the ongoing mess from that

2.  Proving his "Conservative" bonafides to the GQP as it goes harder right thanks to asshats like Patrick and Allen West.  

Democrats in Texas need to reach out to Stacey Abrahms and get tips.  They also need to do some serious grass roots messaging NOW.

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon
Cause I said left when I meant right. My bad.

12 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

It’s going to sound a bit trite but I would be less worried about your asthma than if you are obese and/or have metabolic disease. Covid affects a different immune pathway that isn’t getting people with only asthma as sick like flu or other viral illnesses. Bizzare. It would be better to not have asthma but hopefully it will allay some fears.

No, that's completely in line with what my doc says.  Asthma isn't a big comorbidity, particularly well-controlled asthma, even though I was formerly severe.  (Thanks, modern Rx, big improvements there.)