Abbott being Abbott

Mo Horn

Just now, Hagbard Celine said:

evil.

pure evil.

I would say it was politically savvy for a Republican like Abbot.  After all, it's a three-for-one -  distract everybody and get them to stop talking about the winter storm fuckups,  get the Qanon fuckheads and MAGA types off of his back, and by increasing the spread, they get to blame it on Biden.

But 2022 is around the corner, and this kind of Really Fucking Stupid Shit is really simple to explain in a campaign ad, and 2022 will see Republicans trying to eat their own who don't suck off Trump enough.

I would not want Greg Abbott to run any company I own or work for - he's playing a really short game right now, and all he can think about is the meanie qanons and MAGAs saying mean things about him, and to get people to stop bitching about the winter storm fuckups.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

One of the biggest arguments I have with my wife all the time is that she can’t get past all of these people in our neighborhood that have not stopped living their lives at all.  They have continued to go to restaurants, movies, family vacations, parties with 20 plus people every weekend at different neighbors houses and none of them have gotten Covid or if they did it was mild.  The “argument” is she brings this up like why have we been so careful all these months and they don’t give a shit and nothing happens to them.  I have tried to explain many times they are the reason we are still in this mess but she won’t give up on her anger at them.  It frustrates me as much as her but I still believe being smart, wearing masks, not going on vacations has been the right thing as opposed to spreading the disease unknowingly and possibly killing some 80 year old that was near me at the local grocery store.

Are we married to the same woman?  My wife is the same way - extremely cautious about taking precautions (she helps care for her dad and step-mom - does errands for them, groceries, etc.), but she gets so pissed off at all of the people we know who just keep fucking around and thinking they won't find out.

My view of these people we know who are acting like it's no big deal is that they are just self-centered assholes, many of whom don't have any older living relatives that they are directly caring for.

I got really fucking tired of some in my wife's Sunday school class who have this attitude (Baptists no less).  Multiple members of the class, including the class leaders/teachers  have been like "wear a mask, it's the Christian thing to do, to protect your friends, family, neighbors, and co-workers, it's exactly the kind of thing a Christian should be doing, is looking out for those who are vulnerable", but there is still a group that  proudly act like masks are the mandate of the devil or something, and still toss their little qanon bullshit into group texts, etc.  To the credit of her class and its leaders, the anti-mask idiots get cut out of group texts, somehow their Zoom invites get lost in email, etc.

• Hook 'Em 3

I spent the evening going back and forth with a friend who is otherwise very intelligent, but still thinks this is fake or something.  Literally told me outside of NY there was no issue with ICU beds/supplies. And what good did it do to shut down rodeo since we didn’t spike until 6 months later.  This in an engineer that sees #’s and can unemotionally work with them by trade. I understand he’s pissed because the shutdown “caused Trump to lose” but holy fuck it’s a cloth mask. It’s literally the least you can do.  Feel like I am taking crazy pills. Says he can’t wait for the shut down for allergy season.  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

There’s 4 main medical advisors for abbott on covid... two have said they had zero discussion about the decision. Another, the chief advisor, hasn’t answered if he was part of the decision (based on his action/recs over the last year it seems doubtful he would’ve signed off).

The only one confirmed to support the decision is Zerwas who was a GOP Texas house member til 2019.

• Rage+1 1

48 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I would say it was politically savvy for a Republican like Abbot.  After all, it's a three-for-one -  distract everybody and get them to stop talking about the winter storm fuckups,  get the Qanon fuckheads and MAGA types off of his back, and by increasing the spread, they get to blame it on Biden.

But 2022 is around the corner, and this kind of Really Fucking Stupid Shit is really simple to explain in a campaign ad, and 2022 will see Republicans trying to eat their own who don't suck off Trump enough.

I would not want Greg Abbott to run any company I own or work for - he's playing a really short game right now, and all he can think about is the meanie qanons and MAGAs saying mean things about him, and to get people to stop bitching about the winter storm fuckups.

Fuck'n abbot would pop a wheelie if Texans and America would look away from the deregulation and winter storm debacle. {&covid}

it's his biggest stunt so far.

c'mon 2021.

giphy.gif

57 minutes ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

Does JohnnySack have a mental or emotional disorder? I just received more than 12 neg reps from him in short order, going back from posts of mine from more than half a year ago. Some of those posts were commiserating about the loss of a loved one or pet. Seems stable

did you neg him once and hurt his feelings? he seems rather...tightly wound. i could see him having an emotional overreaction to a neg 🤔

Edited by mchookem

I am at the point of losing all hope for any improvement in the status of life in this country.  It appears that nearly every single person who gets elected to a state or national office has to be a complete fucking jerk, if not when elected, then shortly thereafter.  Between Cruz and our idiot governor, there is no difference.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

16 minutes ago, AnTiM said:

I am at the point of losing all hope for any improvement in the status of life in this country.  It appears that nearly every single Republican who gets elected to a state or national office has to be a complete fucking jerk, if not when elected, then shortly thereafter.  Between Cruz and our idiot governor, there is no difference.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

Does JohnnySack have a mental or emotional disorder? I just received more than 12 neg reps from him in short order, going back from posts of mine from more than half a year ago. Some of those posts were commiserating about the loss of a loved one or pet. Seems stable

I got you. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Honestly isn't it time for the federal government to simply throttle back access to vaccinations in states like Texas that are not serious about fighting the virus?

IF I were President that is EXACTLY what I would do, and I would be on national news explaining my decision.  That basically we want to give the most help to the states that want to protect their citizens and actually prevent the spread of the virus.  No need to prioritize vaccines in states that don't care.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

It’s not like you could capture the current snapshot of downward trajectory of daily deaths in Texas with mask usage and vaccine rollout and then compare it with actuals 6 months from now and literally count the number of people Abbot killed because of this 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, horn4life said:

Honestly isn't it time for the federal government to simply throttle back access to vaccinations in states like Texas that are not serious about fighting the virus?

IF I were President that is EXACTLY what I would do, and I would be on national news explaining my decision.  That basically we want to give the most help to the states that want to protect their citizens and actually prevent the spread of the virus.  No need to prioritize vaccines in states that don't care.

Or Biden could just make a national mask mandate.  He said he was going to, but then scaled it back to people using certain modes of transportation, etc.  Just make it nationwide.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, landman said:

Or Biden could just make a national mask mandate.  He said he was going to, but then scaled it back to people using certain modes of transportation, etc.  Just make it nationwide.  

He already has issued one so far as his constitutional authority will allow.

https://www.vox.com/21556670/biden-president-elect-mask-mandate

Edit: It was literally the first executive order he signed.

Edited by bolverk
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, CowboyFred said:

Lol 1 million a week...so in like 3-4 months 

13 minutes ago, CowboyFred said:

Lol 1 million a week...so in like 3-4 months 

Love the line “All Texans know the safe practices”.  I bet this weekend bars and restaurants all over the state will have Texans packed like sardines in a can maskless breathing all over each other and spreading Covid.  The people are not smart.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

8 minutes ago, landman said:

Federal government can only enforce on federal property and interstate travel. He asked people to wear a mask otherwise 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, landman said:

Actually I think you and I are both right.  Biden should declare a national mask mandate. States that comply get vaccine doses, states that don't lose half their vaccine doses.  This would allow Abbott and the other Republicans helping their citizen arrange for funeral plans to reverse course.  Or they can yell freedom, and reject 50% of the vaccines they could be receiving.  After all State Governor's do have the FREEDOM to reject half the vaccine supplies for their states, if they don't like masks.

So Texas could start getting full supplies in June, after all the other states are fully vaccinated.

Edited by horn4life

Love the line “All Texans know the safe practices”.  I bet this weekend bars and restaurants all over the state will have Texans packed like sardines in a can maskless breathing all over each other and spreading Covid.  The people are not smart.
This x1,000,000. My buddies and I met yesterday at the local pub. We haven't been their in ages because they've never been great about cleaning & enforcing the safety rules, but we made an exception for a few reasons:

*Texas Independence Day
*3rd anniversary of the passing of our friend who opened the pub 13 years ago
*It was a perfect day for the patio so we didn't have to be close to people

The staff & regular drunks were already cheering the news & sure as hell weren't waiting a week for the mask mandates repeal. They were full steam ahead.

We had our beer & a shot to toast our friend, then hightailed it out of there. I won't be back until I've been vaxxed at the earliest.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Stopped into a little convenience store/grill today to grab a cup of coffee and a biscuit sandwich to go.  It has a little dining area that some old men sit in every morning and shoot the shit.

For the last several months, I've been surprised by the mask usage there...employees, patrons, etc.  This morning?  Not a mask, other than mine, to be found and all mask signs have been taken down.

Should be fun.

• Rage+1 1

Why kill the mask mandate?  There's an economic argument for opening everything, I suppose.  But the mask mandate does not cause any economic damage while still working to slow the spread. 

Personally, I'd like to see us follow the Asian model going forward after this is over. If you're sick and have to be out, wear a mask. But we are going to go instantly back to inconsiderate asshole mode instead. Whenever we catch the flu, we should legally be able to punch the people who had the flu the week before but came to work with it. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 4

1 minute ago, FondrenRoad said:

Why kill the mask mandate?  There's an economic argument for opening everything, I suppose.  But the mask mandate does not cause any economic damage while still working to slow the spread. 

Personally, I'd like to see us follow the Asian model going forward after this is over. If you're sick and have to be out, wear a mask. But we are going to go instantly back to inconsiderate asshole mode instead. Whenever we catch the flu, we should legally be able to punch the people who had the flu the week before but came to work with it. 

Because the GOP is a death cult and Abbott has to protect his right flank.  

People are DISGUSTED at the thought of wearing a mask EVER AGAIN when this is over.  This is how fucking stupid we are as a population. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

It’s not like you could capture the current snapshot of downward trajectory of daily deaths in Texas with mask usage and vaccine rollout and then compare it with actuals 6 months from now and literally count the number of people Abbot killed because of this 

It's not even trending down right now.  It's trending UP and Abbott still pulls this shit.

image.png.1e31a87400e74fbcd0ae7d7b4e2e514f.png

1 hour ago, horn4life said:

That would shift the focus and make Biden the villain.  That does nothing to promote Biden's policies, and it does nothing to bring the country out of the pandemic.  Such a move, in short, would be disastrous politics.

14 minutes ago, GTX Horn said:

When is the primary for the GOP nomination for Governor? This seems like nothing more than a political move to shore up support from his base and distract from the grid disaster.

It is all about distracting from the grid disaster.  That's it.  He can't secure against a right-wing challenger.  That's coming regardless (and he'll probably overcome such a challenge regardless).  But he can distract from the fact that the PUC chairman whom he appointed just resigned and, in her resignation letter, threw everyone else under the bus (including Abbott, the Legislature, the RR Commission, and ERCOT).

• Hook 'Em 6

Just now, Ghost of LL said:

That would shift the focus and make Biden the villain.  That does nothing to promote Biden's policies, and it does nothing to bring the country out of the pandemic.  Such a move, in short, would be disastrous politics.

It's already the move to make Biden the villain.

Step 1: Re-open everything under a Dem president

Step 2: cases go up, hospitalizations go up, deaths go up

Step 3: pin them all on Biden and drag him down for 2022 

This is just another step in trying to hurt the country's attempts to beat COVID, along with voting against COVID relief and bitching about re-opening schools and vaccines that the fucking relief bill covers, and blaming Democrats. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1