Abbott being Abbott

Mo Horn

17 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Just show up, bust your way inside, and if anyone tells you that you can't be in there, tell them that it's a public building, which means you own it.  

Or go historical and reenact the Siege of Kaffa-- pay some hobos to cough all over some Barbie dolls and GI Joes, then catapult the little bodies over the fence at the Governor's Mansion.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, horn4life said:

Like I was saying last night, if I get one the variants I am going to go party my ass off at every country and western bar I can find!

So if I go into the Republican headquarters here in NB, can I just start coughing all over the place? It's MUH RIGHT isn't it? 

• Hook 'Em 1

His lifting of the mandate is his attempt to garner support among his base after the failure of his energy policies. It is all about his political future and nothing at all to do with medical science.

But, to be fair, you could probably say the same about most governor's COVID policies.

Abbott's response to his own failure has seriously eroded my confidence in his leadership. I mean I am a member of the other party but I always thought he was much better than Perry but he really looks bad now.

• Hook 'Em 1

he is worse than Perry and that's incredible.

the only positive of Abbott's election was the UT witchhunt and attempt by Sanderfer etc., to drag UT down to aggy level stopped. which was no small thing...but otherwise he's terrible at this job. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

He's way worse than Perry.  Abbott will go out of his way to be an asshole.  Perry would never do that.

Perry was fundamentally incompetent and corrupt.  But along the way, Perry wanted to do well by the state.  He and I may differ about what is good for the state.  But his heart was kind of in the right place.  From his standpoint, ideally the state could prosper and he could make some money off it.

Abbott doesn't care about what's good for the state.  He only cares about what is politically good for him.  And he doesn't even take a long view of it.  He just cares about what is politically good for him for the next day or week.  He's a complete short-game player.

Gagreed.  Perry didn't know any better. Abbott does and acts a shitheel anyway.  He and McConnell are about neck and neck for the most cynical.  And McConnell may even act more on behalf of the GOP than himself, while Abbott is a pure "me" play.

Edited by TwiceHorn

38 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

His lifting of the mandate is his attempt to garner support among his base after the failure of his energy policies. It is all about his political future and nothing at all to do with medical science.

But, to be fair, you could probably say the same about most governor's COVID policies.

Abbott's response to his own failure has seriously eroded my confidence in his leadership. I mean I am a member of the other party but I always thought he was much better than Perry but he really looks bad now.

Just how adequate does one have to appear to be better than Perry?

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

Congresswoman from New York cares more and represents our interests better than any GOP shithead we've elected at any level. This is a travesty of public service.

Let's put AOC in charge. Fuck it.

I feel like Hudson.

A dictatorship of AOC with HEB as the logistics. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

Does JohnnySack have a mental or emotional disorder? I just received more than 12 neg reps from him in short order, going back from posts of mine from more than half a year ago. Some of those posts were commiserating about the loss of a loved one or pet. Seems stable

He's a spoiled rich kid who happens to be 40 years old.  Maybe later he'll tell you about how 'his family' (i.e., not him) has owned property in CO for decades, or how he splits his summers between Telluride and Aspen but he has no intention of abiding by the COVID rules in CO.  In short, he's the kind of Texan we hate around here.  Being disliked by him is a badge of honor.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

I don't see this having a positive impact on anything other than test positivity rate and perhaps hospitalizations and deaths.  There won't be a positive impact for businesses.  They are going to have roughly the same number of people walking in the door, but now that customer population will be skewed towards the group that will not be wearing masks 100% of the time.  If I were in Texas, it would certainly kill my desire to support businesses by ordering takeout or whatever.

15 minutes ago, Goredho said:

I don't see this having a positive impact on anything other than test positivity rate and perhaps hospitalizations and deaths.  There won't be a positive impact for businesses.  They are going to have roughly the same number of people walking in the door, but now that customer population will be skewed towards the group that will not be wearing masks 100% of the time.  If I were in Texas, it would certainly kill my desire to support businesses by ordering takeout or whatever.

https://austin.eater.com/22311228/austin-restaurants-requiring-masks-social-distancing-despite-gov-greg-abbott-order

Spoiler

Starting Wednesday, March 10, all Texas restaurants and bars will be able to reopen indoor dining areas at full capacities with no social distancing requirements, as ordered by Texas Gov. Greg Abbott this week. Likewise, masks will no longer be required for anyone, including diners and restaurant employees.

However, the governor’s order allows for restaurants to implement whatever COVID-19 mitigation rules they want for themselves. With that in mind, here’s a running list of Austin restaurants, food trucks, bars, and breweries that will still require masks and will still follow social distancing measures.

Check ahead with each business as things often change, follow the rules, wear your mask, tip very well, and be kind.

Update, 2:55 p.m.: This article, originally published at 9:38 a.m., has been updated to include additional restaurants.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

she gets so pissed off at all of the people we know who just keep fucking around and thinking they won't find out.

are we not supposed to be pissed off at the people who've been fucking around and thinking they won't find out?

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

https://austin.eater.com/22311228/austin-restaurants-requiring-masks-social-distancing-despite-gov-greg-abbott-order

Hide contents

Starting Wednesday, March 10, all Texas restaurants and bars will be able to reopen indoor dining areas at full capacities with no social distancing requirements, as ordered by Texas Gov. Greg Abbott this week. Likewise, masks will no longer be required for anyone, including diners and restaurant employees.

However, the governor’s order allows for restaurants to implement whatever COVID-19 mitigation rules they want for themselves. With that in mind, here’s a running list of Austin restaurants, food trucks, bars, and breweries that will still require masks and will still follow social distancing measures.

Check ahead with each business as things often change, follow the rules, wear your mask, tip very well, and be kind.

Update, 2:55 p.m.: This article, originally published at 9:38 a.m., has been updated to include additional restaurants.

Are the Trumpists going to use this as list of places to go and insist on their rights? What a fiasco.

3 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

I think that was the last Chili's I ate at, more than 20 years ago. I'm still doing fine, don't need to go back yet.

I remember going there in 1999. The one and only time we ever went to a Chili's. We had a gift card from a baby shower, and our then-6-month-old surprised us by grabbing her first ever solid food: chips and salsa.

She liked it fine at the time, but she has grown up to be the sort of person who prefers, you know.... good salsa.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, hayden_horn said:

got pfizer coursing through my veins. had to drive 90 minutes away, but it was worth it.

fuck you, abbott. 

Doing a 2 hour drive each way tomorrow to Stephenville for my Pfizer first shot.  Not looking forward to the drive as I hate driving long distances.  Trying to decide if there is somewhere in Fort Worth I should pick up food to take back home for dinner since I am never over that way.  

49 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

That story is infuriating

The justification is "new strains won't get you more sick than the virus that's killed half a million Americans in a year, but they will spread more. So we're good to reopen without facemasks"

Fucks sake

• Rage+1 1

8 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Doing a 2 hour drive each way tomorrow to Stephenville for my Pfizer first shot.  Not looking forward to the drive as I hate driving long distances.  Trying to decide if there is somewhere in Fort Worth I should pick up food to take back home for dinner since I am never over that way.  

https://www.delnortetacos.com/

This place is fucking awesome, if you're going to go a route anywhere near Godley. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Hide contents

I hope Houston gets this kind of support. 

36 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Heim, Angelo's, Hard 8 in Stephenville

3 hours ago, Goredho said:

Yeah, I think that this has a short term negative effect.  And if this hastens spread of UK variant, the impact will be meaningful, as school policies have to be rejiggered in the context of B117. Just stupid.  We are so fucking close to putting this behind us by staying the course while we jerk off over our vaccination rates and increasing supply chain.  We are going to eclipse supply constraint with a demand constraint soot, but lets fucking all talk about face masks instead. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

Yeah, I think that this has a short term negative effect.  And if this hastens spread of UK variant, the impact will be meaningful, as school policies have to be rejiggered in the context of B117. Just stupid.  We are so fucking close to putting this behind us by staying the course while we jerk off over our vaccination rates and increasing supply chain.  We are going to eclipse supply constraint with a demand constraint soot, but lets fucking all talk about face masks instead. 

All of our back and forth aside, this could potentially really hurt the timeline to get back to normal school which I know is important to you and everyone with school aged kids. It's only going to take a few Karen parents sending their kids maskless and throwing tantrums about muh rights to cause problems that might create difficult decisions for administration. Not to mention the potential to alienate the teachers and staff.

Just such an impetuous premature ejaculation of a decision that is going to do nothing but create conflict and problems. This is why we can't have nice things.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Restaurants in Dallas-Fort Worth requiring masks:

Wayward Coffee, which opened in May 2020, has never been able to operate without its employees wearing masks. It plans to keep its COVID-19 protocols in place, which includes asking customers and employees to mask up.
Wayward Coffee, which opened in May 2020, has never been able to operate without its employees wearing masks. It plans to keep its COVID-19 protocols in place, which includes asking customers and employees to mask up.(Jeffrey McWhorter / Special Contributor)
8 Cloves at the Dallas Farmers Market
AllGood Cafe in Deep Ellum
Armadillo Ale Works in Denton
Armoury D.E. in Deep Ellum
The Basement Lounge in Fort Worth
The Bearded Monk in Denton
Beto & Son in West Dallas
Billy Can Can in Victory Park
Bisous Bisous Patisserie in Uptown
Black Coffee in Fort Worth
Blackland Distillery in Fort Worth
The Blue Fish in Allen, Fort Worth, Irving, Plano, Galleria Dallas and Lower Greenville in Dallas
The Boiled Owl Tavern in Fort Worth
Boulevardier in Bishop Arts
Burgerim in the West End
Cattleack Barbeque in Dallas/Farmers Branch
Cedar Springs Tap House in Dallas
CiboDivino Marketplace in West Dallas
CocoAndre Chocolatier in Oak Cliff
Cookie Society in Frisco
Cox Farms Market in West Dallas
Cris and John in Far North Dallas
Cultivar Coffee in East Dallas
Detour Doughnuts and Coffee in Frisco
Division Brewing in Arlington
Dream Cafe on Mockingbird Lane and in the Quadrangle, both in Dallas
Dude, Sweet Chocolate in Oak Cliff
Dugg Burger on Garland Road and Walnut Hill Lane, both in Dallas
Fiction Coffee near downtown Dallas
Flying Fish in Addison, Arlington, Fort Worth, Garland, Plano and all Dallas locations
Flying Saucer in Fort Worth, Rockwall and Coppell
Four Bullets Brewery in Richardson
Four Corners Brewing in the Cedars
Full City Rooster in the Cedars
Funky Picnic Brewery & Cafe in Fort Worth
Gemma in East Dallas
Gold Rush Cafe in East Dallas
Haute Sweets Patisserie in Lake Highlands
Hillside Tavern in East Dallas
Hive Bakery in Flower Mound
Homewood near Highland Park
Houndstooth Coffee on Henderson Avenue, Sylvan Avenue and North Central Expressway at Walnut Hill, all in Dallas
Invasion in East Dallas
Korean Street Eats in Carrollton
Las Almas Rotas in Exposition Park
La Casita Bakeshop in Richardson
Leaves Book and Tea Shop in Fort Worth
Liberty Burger, all five locations
The Local Oak in Oak Cliff
The Londoner in Addison
Los Vaqueros in Fort Worth and Weatherford
Lucia in Oak Cliff
Mario Bros. Tacos in Dallas and Plano
Meddlesome Moth in Dallas Design District
Melt Ice Creams in Fort Worth and Dallas
Miriam Latina Cocina in Uptown
Nature’s Plate in Plano and Dallas, on Preston Road and on Northwest Highway
Neighborhood Services
Nickel City in Fort Worth
Noble Coyote Coffee Roasters in Exposition Park
Nobu in Uptown
Oddfellows in Oak Cliff
One90 Smoked Meats in Lake Highlands
Opening Bell Coffee in the Cedars
Parigi on Oak Lawn Avenue
Partenope in downtown Dallas
Peaberry Coffee in Oak Cliff
Pho is for Lovers in Dallas and Richardson
Proper in Fort Worth
Rapscallion on Lowest Greenville
Resident Taqueria in East Dallas
Ricky’s Hot Chicken in Richardson
Rodeo Goat in Fort Worth, Dallas, Plano, Rockwall and Coppell
Roots Chicken Shak in Plano
Round-Up Saloon near Oak Lawn
Ruins in Deep Ellum
Sachet near Highland Park
Sandwich Hag in the Cedars
Salum near Uptown
S&J’s Hot Chicken in northwest Dallas
Society Bakery in East Dallas
Spiral Diner in Fort Worth, Dallas and Denton
Streets Fine Chicken near Oak Lawn Avenue
Swizzle on Lowest Greenville
Tarantula Tiki Lounge in Fort Worth
Teasom in Uptown
Ten Bells Tavern in Oak Cliff
Trova Wine Bar near Highland Park
Twilite Lounge in Fort Worth
Uchi and Uchiba in Uptown
The Usual in Fort Worth
Val’s Cheesecakes on Greenville Avenue and Maple Avenue, both in Dallas
Veritas Wine Room in East Dallas
Wayward Coffee in Oak Cliff
Whisk Crepes in West Dallas
Wits End in Deep Ellum
Zaap Kitchen on Fitzhugh Avenue, Buckner Boulevard and Greenville Avenue, all in Dallas
Zen

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

HpD put out a video - businesses can require you to wear a mask. If you don't agree please just leave, go somewhere else peacefully. Do not create a scene. Then they discussed how you can be arrested. Please mask up. 

“Do not create a scene”

😂😂😂😂😂😂

18 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

All of our back and forth aside, this could potentially really hurt the timeline to get back to normal school which I know is important to you and everyone with school aged kids. It's only going to take a few Karen parents sending their kids maskless and throwing tantrums about muh rights to cause problems that might create difficult decisions for administration. Not to mention the potential to alienate the teachers and staff.

Just such an impetuous premature ejaculation of a decision that is going to do nothing but create conflict and problems. This is why we can't have nice things.

Agreed. All of the data that I believe supports my position on in person schooling is predicated on a few factors.  Most notably 1) appropriate safety measures being implemented in schools; and 2) control of variants with high transmission among kids.  So right now we are trending towards increased UK variant and the gov is creating chaos wrt the former. It's fucking stupid.  We have a short time horizon to get through the end of the semester.  Stay the fucking course that has gotten us this far. All of the data that you fail to really understand and which my position is based on is thrown out the window with these trends/political moves. :) So yeah that sucks.

In all sincerity, I'll pull my kids if they change the safety protocols or if b117 variant levels get to an unacceptable rate. The variant data changes the calculus quite a bit.  

• Like 1