Abbott being Abbott

Mo Horn

Agreed. All of the data that I believe supports my position on in person schooling is predicated on a few factors.  Most notably 1) appropriate safety measures being implemented in schools; and 2) control of variants with high transmission among kids.  So right now we are trending towards increased UK variant and the gov is creating chaos wrt the former. It's fucking stupid.  We have a short time horizon to get through the end of the semester.  Stay the fucking course that has gotten us this far. All of the data that you fail to really understand and which my position is based on is thrown out the window with these trends/political moves.  So yeah that sucks.

In all sincerity, I'll pull my kids if they change the safety protocols or if b117 variant levels get to an unacceptable rate. The variant data changes the calculus quite a bit.  

LOL.

I hope it works out for you and all the school families out there. One thing we all agree on is that it's important to get the kids back to normal ASAP. No matter where you stand politically. And this hurts the cause.

32 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

Replied

If this were even remotely true, Congressmen would be already on top of this going ballistic.  Facts matter, somewhat, unless this is what people want to believe.  

Posted this in the Covid thread also.  Hoping for some guidance. 

Dumb question.  I have an appointment tomorrow for the Pfizer shot 2 hours away.  My niece just booked me an appointment at HEB only an hour away but its Moderna vaccine.  Should I prefer one brand over the other or does the not having to drive 2 hours each way make the difference?  Is one better against the variants?  One gonna make me sicker?  What say Surly?

Dumb question.  I have an appointment tomorrow for the Pfizer shot 2 hours away.  My niece just booked me an appointment at HEB only an hour away but its Moderna vaccine.  Should I prefer one brand over the other or does the not having to drive 2 hours each way make the difference?  Is one better against the variants?  One gonna make me sicker?  What say Surly?

I would take either one without hesitation.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

My preference would be PFE>MRNA>JNJ. I view the first two basically interchangeably, but PFE gets the nob cause the dosing schedule gets you to full immunity quicker. But we are really splitting hairs, take which ever one is first available to you and know that whether you are getting the PFE or MRNA or JNJ shot you risk of serious disease is significantly reduced a few weeks after admin. If you are over 60+, I woudl have a strong preference for PFE or MRNA two shot regimens, but again, you are better off getting any shot. The post mortem will show that the freezer aficionados cost us lives. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
6 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I would take either one without hesitation.

I weirdly have a choice so if they are both equal I would take Moderna just because it is an hour away versus 2 hours.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

My preference would be PFE>MRNA>JNJ. I view the first two basically interchangeably, but PFE gets the nob cause the dosing schedule gets you to full immunity quicker. But we are really splitting hairs, take which ever one is first available to you and know that whether you are getting the PFE or MRNA or JNJ shot you risk of serious disease is significantly reduced a few weeks after admin. If you are over 60+, I woudl have a strong preference for PFE or MRNA two shot regimens, but again, you are better off getting any shot. The post mortem will show that the freezer aficionados cost us lives. 

Both are tomorrow appointments so just need to cancel one.

13 minutes ago, Mole said:

Pfizer contains more 5G but Moderna has better mind control properties. The J&J is like 90% queso so it’s better in terms of the 5G exposure, but it’s really bad for your cholesterol.

JNJ is for the lazy low risk people. PFE and MRNA are for the people we need to maximize protection for, and those that aren't incapable of keeping a follow-up visit (this is actually what most of our vaccines schedules are built around, the lowest common denominator). 

Of course, give me some leeway and I can optimize our vax coverage:

For people that have previously had PCR confirmed COVID, you only get one shot. It's all you need. We deploy the additional doses to uninfected. 

For high risk HCWs and eldery, we get as many first dose shots in arms as possible.  They get priority for second dose shots, but we flex the timing to ensure first dose maximums.

For everyone else, we get first dose shots in arms and allow extremely extended second dose intervals.

Basically the UK model. Which seems to have worked despite the belligerence from many quarters.  

Roll out one dose adenovirus vaccines as supply boosts among the lower risk segments as we bridge to broad vaccination.

I get the rigid and dogmatic adherence to the label and the protocol, but the reality is that all of this shit is being rolled out under an EUA.  We are not operating in normal times. Some flexibility is warranted to optimize protection in a constantly evolving situation.  

Edited by Anastasis
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Yeah, I think that this has a short term negative effect.  And if this hastens spread of UK variant, the impact will be meaningful, as school policies have to be rejiggered in the context of B117. Just stupid.  We are so fucking close to putting this behind us by staying the course while we jerk off over our vaccination rates and increasing supply chain.  We are going to eclipse supply constraint with a demand constraint soot, but lets fucking all talk about face masks instead. 

I totally agree. And as you know I’m tired of this being a political issue. I wish that would just stop. For once.  We are so close. 

I totally agree. And as you know I’m tired of this being a political issue. I wish that would just stop. For once.  We are so close. 

Oh, my sweet summer child.

We will continue to politicize the stupidest, stupidest fucking things. Because that’s our brand.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Oh, my sweet summer child.

We will continue to politicize the stupidest, stupidest fucking things. Because that’s our brand.

Define “our” brand. You know what I’m talking about. If “our” is the Republican Party then you right. All hope is lost. But they are and will remain the minority. Stop talking otherwise. Right about now they control nothing of the federal government.

Just now, JimmyJames said:

Oh, it's going to be a political issue moving forward.  I've had to listen to my formerly extremely apolitical wife bitch about this quite a bit in the last 24 hours (I use to have to come here for that shit cause she was disinterested in arguing politics, thanks Abbott). And she is spot on right to do so. The Texas GOP is hanging themselves. 

2 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Oh, it's going to be a political issue moving forward.  I've had to listen to my formerly extremely apolitical wife bitch about this quite a bit in the last 24 hours (I use to have to come here for that shit cause she was disinterested in arguing politics, thanks Abbott). And she is spot on right to do so. The Texas GOP is hanging themselves. 

I hope your wife is correct. I hope the pacific is as blue as in my dreams.  I hope.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

My local school board announced they will be sticking with the mask mandate for the rest of the school year.  Makes me happy but I can’t tell you how many people are posting crap about how they want to vote the superintendent out and they are going to send their kids and tell them not to wear a mask.  There is one dude in my neighborhood that is shall we say, a total asshole, that is still posting stuff like “I can’t believe we are still making the kids wear masks for what is just the Flu”.  I read this garbage and I find myself chanting “serenity now” over and over again sitting on my couch.  

I hope your wife is correct. I hope the pacific is as blue as in my dreams.  I hope.

Hope.

You know where I am on that. They’re actively working on disenfranchising anyone darker-skinned than Amy Adams, and poorer than Jerry Jones. It will work. That, and owning 100% of the stupid vote - the dominant voting bloc in Texas - will carry the day. Remember, Dems gained essentially nothing in Texas in 2020.

2 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

I am trying to convince her to imagine a non binary political universe, but its an uphill battle at this point.  

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Hope.

You know where I am on that. They’re actively working on disenfranchising anyone darker-skinned than Amy Adams, and poorer than Jerry Jones. It will work. That, and owning 100% of the stupid vote - the dominant voting bloc in Texas - will carry the day. Remember, Dems gained essentially nothing in Texas in 2020.

Love ya brother but you’re wrong. It will not work. This will not be our end. 

• Like 1

Just now, Anastasis said:

We'll definitely be different than all the other degenerate empires in the history of the world. 

I think there is absolutely no doubt that as a society we are in a rapid decline. But at the same time still extremely wealthy in an aggregate state. Probably In all of history. Definitely an interesting state. 

Why can't Abbott stick to the script and blame China?

Sorry, hombre. We keep it local ‘round here. It’s all the messicans’ fault. Wetback out front working security for Abbott because Abbott can get away with stiffing him on his pay shoulda told ya.
  • Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

My local school board announced they will be sticking with the mask mandate for the rest of the school year.  Makes me happy but I can’t tell you how many people are posting crap about how they want to vote the superintendent out and they are going to send their kids and tell them not to wear a mask.  There is one dude in my neighborhood that is shall we say, a total asshole, that is still posting stuff like “I can’t believe we are still making the kids wear masks for what is just the Flu”.  I read this garbage and I find myself chanting “serenity now” over and over again sitting on my couch.  

That’s good for you guys.  My school district (rural as hell) took about 3 minutes after wheels’ announcement to send out that masks are no longer needed after spring break next week.  Luckily my wife and I both received our 2nd shot last week.

Edit: we are both teachers in this district.

Edited by IPoopOnWhoop
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Just out of curiosity is your wife a dem now? Or was before? I know you are not.

Fairly certain she voted for third party, but we don't really bake all that out. I did make a good pitch for Amash FWIW. Good Christian Palestinian boy with a proper view of the role of the federal government is a relatively easy sell for her. 

Fuck me. I still haven't been vaxxed.  I try so hard to be careful but the grocery stores are going to get more dangerous. Maybe I should start going to Target since they will still have a mandatory mask requirement to enter their store. 

I heard HEB is going to request a mask but not require it and I don't know what Randall's will do. Fuck me. i started going to Artemis outdoor patio to dine. I am going to stop doing that until I get vaxxed now. 

He could have waited until a majority of us are vaxxed, fucking asshole. Governor Hot Wheels needs to roll under some sickly Post Oaks. I hope I get out of this year without getting sick.  Mask wearing is the biggest safety tool we had. He threw me under the bus. I fucking will take this personally and make sure he loses the governorship. Fuck his cripple ass.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, burntorangebongos said:

i started going to Artemis outdoor patio to dine. I am going to stop doing that until I get vaxxed now. 

I've had a few cocktails on their patio waiting for pick up to package.  That will probably end if their staff is not masked, but they have always been very good with the curbside. 

Edited by Anastasis

Fuck me. I still haven't been vaxxed.  I try so hard to be careful but the grocery stores are going to get more dangerous. Maybe I should start going to Target since they will still have a mandatory mask requirement to enter their store. 
I heard HEB is going to request a mask but not require it and I don't know what Randall's will do. Fuck me. i started going to Artemis outdoor patio to dine. I am going to stop doing that until I get vaxxed now. 
He could have waited until a majority of us are vaxxed, fucking asshole. Governor Hot Wheels needs to roll under some sickly Post Oaks. I hope I get out of this year without getting sick.  Mask wearing is the biggest safety tool we had. He threw me under the bus. I fucking will take this personally and make sure he loses the governorship. Fuck his cripple ass.
Did you throw away your masks? Doesn't matter what others do if you are protecting yourself.
  • Fuck You 2

29 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I can't rep anymore today, but I feel you holmes.  

27 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

They’re actively working on disenfranchising anyone darker-skinned than Amy Adams

Damn.  Someone has been watching the constant re-runs of Ricky Bobby this week.   I would vote however she told me to.

12 minutes ago, burntorangebongos said:

My old man is in pretty bad decline from Parkinsons; just general complete atrophy.  I just got off the phone with my mother.  For whatever the fuck reason (she's UT med and has been health overbearing my entire existence) she was just laissez fucking faire about getting around to getting my old man the shot.  As I grew increasingly irritated, I got on HEB's website and booked an appoint within 20 minutes.  Literally in the last half hour.  Those of y'all in the Dallas area have lots of options.  Houston area, we ended up in El Campo.  Godamn I need to woosah for a bit.  I hope you can find something via HEB or CVS or some other easy to book place.  

18 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

No description available.

Y'all makin' it really hard not to be smug about moving away, I tell ya what. Texas has been synonymous with "bad government" for so long now, I'm not sure it is fixable, even if every jot and tittle of racist election law were thrown out tomorrow. The rest of the country isn't exactly swimming along in blissful prosperity at the moment, but you do hear "at least we're not in Texas" an awful lot.

• Hook 'Em 3

9 minutes ago, Both Tacos said:
18 minutes ago, burntorangebongos said:

Did you throw away your masks? Doesn't matter what others do if you are protecting yourself.

wrong. My wearing a mask protects others from me. It matters if a bunch of people don't mask up and makes it worse for me. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3