Abbott being Abbott

Mo Horn

Just now, tx 3 putt said:

The Texas Supreme Court just serves one purpose and it has nothing to do with the rule of law. Prove me wrong 

It's the same slice with Republicans on the federal level. Fuck congressional appropriation of funds. Give all the power to the executive. Then when your opponents take the executive position the commencement of whining about the executive having too much power begins. Boom! Perpetual victimization. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I mean, to be fair, we have Cuomo, but I can honestly say I think he is a better person than Abbott or DeSantis at this point.  He might be defiant on his rapiness, but at least he learned after killing all the people in nursing homes....sigh.  They all suck.

Ugh, I hate hate HATE that I am moving back to Texas with Abbott and Cruz and Patrick and Cornyn.  But at least it's Harris County (yay Lina Hidalgo!)

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

Just now, hookemATL said:

it was mostly tongue in cheek, but I am curious.  Id assume family/job stuff, which are obviously good reasons.  I will do my best to fix everything before you get back, so dont worry.

Family stuff.  Being 16 hours/1000 miles away isn't helping between dad health problems, mom still mourning her husband dying in May and my sister raising 2 kids alone.

You have 5 months to fix Texas before I get back. 

Good luck, we're all counting on you - Airplane on Make a GIF

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Family stuff.  Being 16 hours/1000 miles away isn't helping between dad health problems, mom still mourning her husband dying in May and my sister raising 2 kids alone.

You have 5 months to fix Texas before I get back. 

Good luck, we're all counting on you - Airplane on Make a GIF

Alternative idea: You buy a creeper van, swing back to Texas long enough to scoop up mom, sis, and the 2 kids, then you head off with them to the Sonoran desert where you will all live a Mad Max existence, it won't be easy, but no one will have time to be depressed.

1 minute ago, RDCanecutter said:

Alternative idea: You buy a creeper van, swing back to Texas long enough to scoop up mom, sis, and the 2 kids, then you head off with them to the Sonoran desert where you will all live a Mad Max existence, it won't be easy, but no one will have time to be depressed.

Spoiler: I'd probably drive the creeper van into oncoming 18-wheeler traffic before we even make it to Brookshire. 

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

On 8/9/2021 at 1:49 PM, sidis said:

westlake/eanes has the same thing.  it would be laughably stupid if it weren't so potentially dangerous.  as bozo said, it's the worst kind because we have a lot of moms at home with too much money to spend and too much time on their hands for spending on facebook all day.  we had two school board seats open up and we had two anti-mask crusaders with a lot of money and visibility make a whole bunch of noise and garnered a lot of vocal/agitation support last spring but fortunately, the silent majority in this case sent them packing fairly emphatically.  one of them was downright trump-esque in strategy but she got shown the door 55-45 despite a 10x war chest (literally).

they haven't stopped though and the dumbfuck crt debate actually broke out at a summer board meeting in which the more dipshitty portion of our community got loud again, tilting at imaginary windmills.  board meets tomorrow night...thaaaaat should be fun.  you'd have to be deranged to actually want to have sit there and listen to these shit-for-brains.  i have no idea how they do it.

Ok, yeah--sure.

And as we prepare for this Board meeting tonight, I really wonder what's the fucking point.  Jenn Champagne can't be bothered to be at this Board meeting.  She's on fucking vacation.  And even if she weren't, it wouldn't matter.  The Board has no courage to do what's necessary to protect the students.  They're not willing to pay a lousy fucking $1,000 fine (which I and a thousand other parents in this district would happily pay tomorrow) to tell TEA to fuck off and mandate masks.

Honestly, I really wonder at this point why I bothered to vote against Jen Stevens.  Would she really have been any worse?

• Rage+1 1

20 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Ok, yeah--sure.

And as we prepare for this Board meeting tonight, I really wonder what's the fucking point.  Jenn Champagne can't be bothered to be at this Board meeting.  She's on fucking vacation.  And even if she weren't, it wouldn't matter.  The Board has no courage to do what's necessary to protect the students.  They're not willing to pay a lousy fucking $1,000 fine (which I and a thousand other parents in this district would happily pay tomorrow) to tell TEA to fuck off and mandate masks.

Honestly, I really wonder at this point why I bothered to vote against Jen Stevens.  Would she really have been any worse?

We will see what happens after tonight. If JC is not there because she is on vacation, that is a pretty bad look. 

14 minutes ago, sidis said:

We will see what happens after tonight. If JC is not there because she is on vacation, that is a pretty bad look. 

Mrs.LL was texting with her last night, because we are pretty displeased with the situation.  And since I basically paid for her last mailer in the previous campaign, I kind of think we have the right to text her and express displeasure.

So yeah--she's going to have a statement that is going to be read at the meeting.  But she isn't going to be there.

• Rage+1 1

11 hours ago, hookem2010 said:

Kushner went to prestigious schools, as did George W. Bush. Nobody is wrongly accusing them of being smart.

I knew this reply was coming. I don't think DeSantis came from that kind of family. In fact it sounds like they're a bunch of rednecks, wouldn't you know it? 

20 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

And, if someone will sign an affidavit or two, most Texas judges would issue a TRO against the planets orbiting the sun.

Yeah I'm in this case right now representing the purchaser at a foreclosure sale, and it appears the foreclosure was, indeed, wrongful.

I asked the plaintiff's attorney "Why didn't you get a TRO and save my client all this trouble? They're granted at a 100% rate."

4 hours ago, Js1 said:

Spoiler: I'd probably drive the creeper van into oncoming 18-wheeler traffic before we even make it to Brookshire. 

I just spent a week here. I have waited 12 hours at ABIA today to get back to NYC (good wait honestly while they fixed the plane and found a crew after three tries on United). I do not recognize this state, at all. I have only been here three times in six and a half years before this week and two trips were for funerals. Texas disappoints me in what it has fully become. I am glad to be headed back home to East Harlem.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, AnTiM said:

Given our governor's stance on masks and the recent overruling in at least two counties, it is now clear that our governor is a bigger moron and asshole than any of us thought.

Abbott isn't stupid. He understands that the far-right base controls the primaries, and he has to appeal to them if he wants to get re-elected. And much of the far-right base does not think the government should make pragmatic, economic decisions when responding to the pandemic, in the name of freedom and individual responsibility.

Yet Abbott knows that most Texans want an effective governmental response to the pandemic, in the name of health and general welfare, so he let local governments make the decision. He didn't care that it made him look weak. He felt that was a good middle ground. Perhaps he even thought it was a good thing.

But because his response was weak, Covid got out of control last summer, and he was forced to impose the state-wide mask mandate. The base was pissed, and they apparently just don't care that it worked.

When the vaccines started rolling out, and it looked like we were going to beat this virus, he decided to show some strength and ban mask mandates. His base loves authoritarians and centralized power, and they cheered him.

But he acted too soon. He didn't effectively consider the number of imbeciles who wouldn't get vaccinated because they read something on the Internet, and now he's painted himself into a corner.

On second thought, maybe Abbott is stupid.

Never mind.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Rage+1 1

9 minutes ago, Bookman said:

Abbott isn't stupid. He understands that the far-right base controls the primaries, and he has to appeal to them if he wants to get re-elected. And much of the far-right base does not think the government should make pragmatic, economic decisions when responding to the pandemic, in the name of freedom and individual responsibility.

Yet Abbott knows that most Texans want an effective governmental response to the pandemic, in the name of health and general welfare, so he let local governments make the decision. He didn't care that it made him look weak. He felt that was a good middle ground. Perhaps he even thought it was a good thing.

But because his response was weak, Covid got out of control last summer, and he was forced to impose the state-wide mask mandate. The base was pissed, and they apparently just don't care that it worked.

When the vaccines started rolling out, and it looked like we were going to beat this virus, he decided to show some strength and ban mask mandates. His base loves authoritarians and centralized power, and they cheered him.

But he acted too soon. He didn't effectively consider the number of imbeciles who wouldn't get vaccinated because they read something on the Internet, and now he's painted himself into a corner.

On second thought, maybe Abbott is stupid.

Never mind.

I’ve said as much on this thread already but this is what I don’t understand about Abbott-Trump was a case study that these rubes don’t understand power, they just get excited by someone in the PERFORMANCE of wielding it.  

you don’t have to actually do anything, just be really noisy about it and blame the other guy, then let local officials operate unencumbered.  

Why don't we get a mob of irate citizens to storm the state capitol and demonstrate how stupid our leaders are?  Apparently the penalties are minor and it would not do a bit of good, but at least it would make me feel better.  I love this plan!  I'm excited to be a part of it!  Let's do it! (Ghostbusters had the right idea)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/10/2021 at 12:32 AM, C-Man said:

She definitely knew more than she let on but I think she was ultimately duped by the puppet masters pulling the strings. The absolute best was when the out-of-state consultant got stone-cold busted answering questions for her via her personal FB account. That was glorious.

I just got a cell poll asking me about 2022 local elections.  First, did I favor incumbent HPISD school board members, then a bunch of questions about CRT and transgender rights and a bunch of other GQP hotbutton issues.

Some outfit is considering running another MTG type for HPISD.