Abbott being Abbott

Mo Horn

I won't rest until we get rid of the Spanish option on robocalls. And I'm torn on educating migrant children because they'll have an advantage by not being exposed to filthy text books and perverted sex ed.

11 minutes ago, Foosters said:

A similar move in California mobilized the Latino voting bloc against the GOP. Prop 187 in 1994 killed the GOP in that state for good.

Not saying we'll see the same in Texas, just pointing it out.

I keep hearing that the Texas Hispanic population is not as blue as people once thought, and one of the reasons is "pulling up the ladder," where our resident Hispanic citizens or their parents, grandparents, etc., may have immigrated to the States, but for whatever reason they're just not passionate about the immigration of others behind them.  I say this as a whitey with no perspective on the topic.  It's just what I've heard from others in an attempt to explain why our Hispanic population isn't solid blue like it used to be.

(And that's in addition to the abortion issue -- Hispanics are largely Catholic, abortion is a super huge no-no in the Catholic church, ergo Hispanics are voting Republican.  Again, not sure how true this is.)

2 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I keep hearing that the Texas Hispanic population is not as blue as people once thought, and one of the reasons is "pulling up the ladder," where our resident Hispanic citizens or their parents, grandparents, etc., may have immigrated to the States, but for whatever reason they're just not passionate about the immigration of others behind them.  I say this as a whitey with no perspective on the topic.  It's just what I've heard from others in an attempt to explain why our Hispanic population isn't solid blue like it used to be.

(And that's in addition to the abortion issue -- Hispanics are largely Catholic, abortion is a super huge no-no in the Catholic church, ergo Hispanics are voting Republican.  Again, not sure how true this is.)

It's not particularly true in POTUS races, at least nationally, but might be more of an issue in Texas.  The 2020 race (non included in the chart below) went 59/38 Biden/Trump, which is a significant change for the worse.

FT_16.11.09_LatinoVoteYears.png

37 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

I honestly hate our move the SEC. Texas had its own mythos with the west and the alamo and shit which allowed us to create an image that protected against the worst of the worst impulses of the south. Now we are mind melding with the rest of the garbage states of the union.  Texas of 20 years ago would not have done this -- we leave the confederacy bullshit to the alabamas of the world.  (in fact, texas had the only 'confederate' senator vote in favor of the civil rights acts). Now we are no different than them.

Meh, Texas was always going to be linked with that shit anyway. Hell, most of us went to a UT that had Jeff Davis and Lee statues on it.

24 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

It's not particularly true in POTUS races, at least nationally, but might be more of an issue in Texas.  The 2020 race (non included in the chart below) went 59/38 Biden/Trump, which is a significant change for the worse.

FT_16.11.09_LatinoVoteYears.png

I think the BLM protests are/were largely blamed for the move of Latinos toward GQP

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

Can confirm this is very rampant in the Latino community the “pulling the ladder up” behind them. They got theirs and don’t care if others get the same opportunity. 

3 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

This is stuff you do after the election, not before. I wonder if Abbott is concerned about a third party run against him ? 

moving further to the right before the election is odd when he won the primary 

go Beto go 

No shot at 2024 if he lets DeSantis hog all the MAGA shithead limelight.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

I keep hearing that the Texas Hispanic population is not as blue as people once thought, and one of the reasons is "pulling up the ladder," where our resident Hispanic citizens or their parents, grandparents, etc., may have immigrated to the States, but for whatever reason they're just not passionate about the immigration of others behind them. 

I get that, but what I don't get is why they're voting for people who really make no distinction between illegal immigrants and Hispanics that are US citizens.  They're voting for people who would absolutely love to round up all the brown people and deport them to Mexico, regardless of whether that's where they're "from" or not.

• Hook 'Em 3

9 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

In their fucked up minds they don't see themselves that way, they aren't brown like the others. I have a lot of family like this

My wife’s extended family is Hispanic and while not Republican, they often have shitty things to say about immigrants. Specifically about other Hispanics/Mexicans. It’s mind bottling. 

• Rage+1 2

2 hours ago, Foosters said:

A similar move in California mobilized the Latino voting bloc against the GOP. Prop 187 in 1994 killed the GOP in that state for good.

Not saying we'll see the same in Texas, just pointing it out.

A big difference is that the GOP runs Texas and will marginalize that voting bloc.

41 minutes ago, Grade of D as in David said:

Have to do something, ERCOT sure as hell isn't going to keep us warm.

Oh, you'll be plenty warn when ERCOT starts load shedding over the next week or so.

Edited by gmr548
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

3 hours ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

I honestly hate our move the SEC. Texas had its own mythos with the west and the alamo and shit which allowed us to create an image that protected against the worst of the worst impulses of the south. Now we are mind melding with the rest of the garbage states of the union.  Texas of 20 years ago would not have done this -- we leave the confederacy bullshit to the alabamas of the world.  (in fact, texas had the only 'confederate' senator vote in favor of the civil rights acts). Now we are no different than them.

yep. nail, coffin.

me...

cada26f9e46a99c11053ecc0e4d6ab18.gif.498dc22fa3c05156b97f5a40cc02e20a.gif

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

I get that, but what I don't get is why they're voting for people who really make no distinction between illegal immigrants and Hispanics that are US citizens.  They're voting for people who would absolutely love to round up all the brown people and deport them to Mexico, regardless of whether that's where they're "from" or not.

"If you aren't voting for me, you ain't Meskin." - Beto O'Rourke

2 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

If everyone voted like that in Texas, we wouldn't be having this or most of our threads, puto.

Clean your own house up, bitches.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Fixed it.  Most of Texas will be in the mid-to-high-90s by Sunday.

Getting an early start on soaring heat. By mid June old people will be catching on fire while giving the finger to that Yankee electrical grid. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

You do know what the Texas Revolution was about, right? 

Any nostalgic feeling that Texas is different than the lowest common denominator on issues like this is naive and frankly bullshit.  Maybe there's a perception that we are better because we have 4 cities that are bigger than most any in the other southern states, but the lowest common denominator is the exact same racist asshole.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

3 minutes ago, Planet Houston said:

You do know what the Texas Revolution was about, right? 

Any nostalgic feeling that Texas is different than the lowest common denominator on issues like this is naive and frankly bullshit.  Maybe there's a perception that we are better because we have 4 cities that are bigger than most any in the other southern states, but the lowest common denominator is the exact same racist asshole.

Yep yep. Despite our state's founding myths... it's was mainly a bunch failed slave owners that couldn't hack it elsewhere needing a second act or they thought it would be an easier place to start making money. Boy talk about how some things remain the same. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

3 minutes ago, YChang said:

Yep yep. Despite our state's founding myths... it's was mainly a bunch failed slave owners that couldn't hack it elsewhere needing a second act or they thought it would be an easier place to start making money. Boy talk about how some things remain the same. 

it's those founding myths i'm referring to though. the 20-21th century reflections of our roots. we managed to create an image for ourselves distinct from the confederacy.  none of the other confederate states really have.  and it manifests itself in real consequences, imo.  lbj was real.  ralph yarborough (who i referred to in my first post) was real.  people like lloyd bentsen, gwb, and even as recent as joe straus that would go about their way promoting commerce while avoiding the white nationalism/retrograde/authoritarianism or whatever we want to call the far right's mood. we've generally been much less shitty than the states that have tried to out george wallace / strom thurmand each other for the last century and a half.  i think their ability to do what they did is because voters want their politicians to defend "us."  and "us" in Texas doesn't mean "the south will rise again."  it means those other myths.  and those myths don't have to be true. but they have to be what people perceive themselves as.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, hookemATL said:

My wife’s extended family is Hispanic and while not Republican, they often have shitty things to say about immigrants. Specifically about other Hispanics/Mexicans. It’s mind bottling. 

There are a lot of groups within this group that the non-hispanic doesn't see.

Most Mexican Americans in Texas don't relate to the Mexican nationals. Those putos that fly in for Easter and act like assholes. Don't really relate to illegal immigrants for similar reasons.

Mexicans from the Valley are fucking weirdos.

Austin Mexicans are suspect.

Mexicans from SE Texas are rancheros and migrate to Houston or San Antonio if they are lucky. Then pretend they have always been city folk.

El Paso Mexicans, forget it.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

Florida 's image is a wife-beater on bath salts assaulting a McDonald's employee with a gator.

what's funny is i was thinking about florida as well when i was typing that up.  i do think they've moved past the worst of the everything, but they are dragged forward by the weirdest combination of stuff -- some mix of modernity, transient populations, cubans fleeing leftwing oppression, endless old age for their population, life is supposed to be a vacation mentality -- that who knows where they end up.  

4 hours ago, ultimaton said:

No shot at 2024 if he lets DeSantis hog all the MAGA shithead limelight.

This is why he keeps doing stupid shit.  First, Don Huffines gave him a little scare/was a stalking horse for some of the DeSantis crowd, and now Abbott is basically running against DeSantis.  Sure, Beto will be on the ballot, but Abbott sees DeSantis everywhere he looks.

4 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

4 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

In their fucked up minds they don't see themselves that way, they aren't brown like the others. I have a lot of family like this

It's the same reason that poor whites vote for the GOP like crazy, even though the GOP gives no shits about them, based on legislation they push through.

You just have to convince people that they are not like some other group in society, and you will help keep it that way.

18 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Kinkaid is pretty hard to get a spot. You just can’t show up with a blank check. From what I’ve heard 

You can always show up with a blank check. It just needs the appropriate amount of zeroes on it. You might wanna check the names of those libraries bruh. The Jacominis, Kelly and Curtis Kayem, and John Moran figured it out.

15 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Crabs in a bucket buddy. It happens in all non white communities.

Edited by Thatguy

17 hours ago, South Austin said:

16 hours ago, CowboyFred said:

Can confirm this is very rampant in the Latino community the “pulling the ladder up” behind them. They got theirs and don’t care if others get the same opportunity. 

15 hours ago, hookemATL said:

This is not exclusive to the Hispanic community. This happens in the Black community as well. We hear the rhetoric about our people as well and after awhile you start to believe it because there is always an element of truth. However, after awhile you begin to see the inconsistencies in the story and come back to the fold. This is a cycle for many young, successful Black Americans across the country.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/5/2022 at 5:13 PM, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

absolutely. one step further - football. fuck it. i don't want it that bad. we move to SEC and want to become what....bama? LSU or the paperclips? some one trick pony in a college town. that is a dangerous culture that I don't want to further empower on our campus. its perverse and leads to shit like Baylor. Not to mention its a dying game and won't be anywhere near the same in 10 years time. 

and now we will die with the hillbillies instead of being ahead of the curve because money and boomer olds. dammit 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

7 hours ago, staboner said:

absolutely. one step further - football. fuck it. i don't want it that bad. we move to SEC and want to become what....bama? LSU or the paperclips? some one trick pony in a college town. that is a dangerous culture that I don't want to further empower on our campus. its perverse and leads to shit like Baylor. Not to mention its a dying game and won't be anywhere near the same in 10 years time. 

and now we will die with the hillbillies instead of being ahead of the curve because money and boomer olds. dammit 

alonzo-mourning-gary-payton.gif

Edited by High Plains Drifter
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

On 5/5/2022 at 12:08 PM, hookemATL said:

They've assimilated well to our culture of self-congratulation married to blind scorn. 

I got mine all on my own (never actually true), loser. Grab a holt of yer bootstraps and climb up on yer own.

Sidenote: I stumbled upon the origin of pulling oneself up by their bootstraps

The phrase “pull yourself up by your bootstraps” originated shortly before the turn of the 20th century. It’s attributed to a late-1800s physics schoolbook that contained the example question “Why can not a man lift himself by pulling up on his bootstraps?”

So when it became a colloquial phrase referring to socioeconomic advancement shortly thereafter, it was meant to be sarcastic, or to suggest that it was an impossible accomplishment.

Eventually, however, the phrase’s commonly-accepted meaning evolved, and now when we tell people to “pull themselves up by their bootstraps,” it’s implying that socioeconomic advancement is something that everyone should be able to do—albeit something difficult.

There's some kind of acute irony in using a sarcastic phrase about something you can't do to mean something you can do even though nobody actually can do it. 

We all get help. We aren't dropped on the ground as babies to make our own way. 

• Hook 'Em 6