Abbott being Abbott

Mo Horn

Just now, Js1 said:

They could still do the morally right thing and require masks.  They chose not to.   I can blame HEB. 

Other businesses have already said fuck you Abbott, we are still requiring masks.  HEB chose not to make the hard decision. 

Yeah, I'd prefer that they mandate it too. But I think they understand that it's completely toothless unless they want to actually physically confront maskless folks about it. They're trying to walk the tightrope by "strongly encouraging" and having people in front handing masks out, but I also understand that they don't want to endanger their employees with confrontation. 

Despite Target saying hey have a mask mandate, I'm pretty confident that if someone walked into most Targets in Texas maskless, the store isn't going to physically confront them. It's all mostly going to end the same - stores doing the best they can to get people to mask up, short of actually physically intervening.

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

They could still do the morally right thing and require masks.  They chose not to.   I can blame HEB. 

Other businesses have already said fuck you Abbott, we are still requiring masks.  HEB chose not to make the hard decision. 

Yeah, if they were going to alienate "a significant portion of their customer base" either way, then choose masks.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Yeah, I'd prefer that they mandate it too. But I think they understand that it's completely toothless unless they want to actually physically confront maskless folks about it. They're trying to walk the tightrope by "strongly encouraging" and having people in front handing masks out, but I also understand that they don't want to endanger their employees with confrontation. 

Despite Target saying hey have a mask mandate, I'm pretty confident that if someone walked into most Targets in Texas maskless, the store isn't going to physically confront them. It's all mostly going to end the same - stores doing the best they can to get people to mask up, short of actually physically intervening.

+1.  What are your 9.00/hr employees going to do when the mob storms in anyway?  

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yeah, if they were going to alienate "a significant portion of their customer base" either way, then choose masks.

Mask wearers are a lot less likely to shoot the place up because they don't like the policy.

Got word from a friend who works at a state agency that her direct boss sent out an email last night that Abbott is going to require all state employees to go back into the office and that agency heads will not be authorized to require masks or social distancing. No word on when that will come into effect but soon.

• Rage+1 2

4 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Got word from a friend who works at a state agency that her direct boss sent out an email last night that Abbott is going to require all state employees to go back into the office and that agency heads will not be authorized to require masks or social distancing. No word on when that will come into effect but soon.

i used to think that abbott was smarter than perry at least.

this fucker is fully bought into the gqp death cult. it's truly fucking maddening.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Edit: Nm, misread it.

Edited by wildcat09

9 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

this fucker is fully bought into the gqp death cult. it's truly fucking maddening.

He's either realized -- or been told -- this is the only way he's re-elected governor at this point.

• Hook 'Em 1

The one thing I don’t get is the angst over restaurants requiring masks for patrons.

No one wears a mask at their table. Or at the bar.

Now if we are talking about the workers then I’m maybe that’s an important distinction.

5 minutes ago, huge said:

The one thing I don’t get is the angst over restaurants requiring masks for patrons.

No one wears a mask at their table. Or at the bar.

Now if we are talking about the workers then I’m maybe that’s an important distinction.

Right? Oh no you have to wear it to use the bathroom? THE HORROR. 

25 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

100% occupancy would be the main deterrent for me with restaurants. 

This is definitely more troublesome than no masks in restaurants. And, as I mentioned, bars are going to be Ground Zero -- if the 20-something set who hasn't really given COVID much of a thought isn't already immune through previous illness.

1 hour ago, bolverk said:

yeah this is going to be a huge fucking problem for me. I can't imagine this is real.....the fallout would be huge. But everything shitty that I couldn't imagine has been going forward, so not betting against it.

6 minutes ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

yeah this is going to be a huge fucking problem for me. I can't imagine this is real.....the fallout would be huge. But everything shitty that I couldn't imagine has been going forward, so not betting against it.

They are about to fuck around and find out. Fuck these people. 

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Of course it will.

We messicans are to blame for [checks notes of all GQP history]....fucking EVERYTHING.  Disease? Crime? The shitty fiscal position of any gov't entity?  Yep, all of it.

You are to blame for my love of tacos which has caused me to be fatter than I would like so you will have to live with that on your conscience.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

We're dumber than Alabama.

If it makes you feel better, there lots of redneck geezers calling into Birmingham talk radio all frustrated with Ivey. It's fairly hilarious.

The extension to April 9th makes me think of the Young Indiana Jones episode where he doesn't deliver the attack order on time at Verdun, and 10,000 men get to live one more day.

Practically speaking, and I think this is how it will work out in Texas as well, is the rurals will continue to wander maskless as they have been doing, suburbia will be split, and NPR gentrified faggits like me and some of y'all will continue to have lots of safer options.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

Held off on getting the vaccine as long as I could to allow the olds and sickly to get theirs. As soon as Abbott did his declaration I started mass F5’ing HEB stores and have an appointment in Gonzales tomorrow cause BMI

With my covid dietary habits, BMI is becoming a real concern. 

• Haha 2

Here's a video of my vaccine guy getting out the vial before it was administered.  I'm sure it's all on the up and up:

41 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Here's a video of my vaccine guy getting out the vial before it was administered.  I'm sure it's all on the up and up:

I'm pretty sure the dude there used to be a regular for pick up basketball games I frequented around west campus, lo, these many years ago...

4 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

Abbot 

4 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

I am totally convinced that Abbott is dumber than shit.  There is no way this knucklehead graduated from UT.