Abbott being Abbott

Mo Horn

On 3/4/2021 at 9:49 AM, BradInATX said:

I can't blame HEB for this. The state of Texas completely sold them down the river and left them in a no-win situation where they would be alienating a significant portion of their customer base no matter what they decide. Just a complete abdication of responsibility and courage by our state government.

Curious if there is any legal exposure to HEB if one of their employees caught covid at work and later died.

13 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Curious if there is any legal exposure to HEB if one of their employees caught covid at work and later died.

Did that liability exist before Covid for common communicable diseases?  How do you prove they caught it at work?

Edited by slorch

On 3/5/2021 at 7:37 PM, staboner said:

goddamn i miss me some popeyes up in this mug

source.gif

There's a Popeyes an avenue and a half away from me. After reading about this fried chicken and chocolate adventure that Beantown embarked upon I think I will stay away from it for awhile.

13 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Umkay, couple questions...

1. If Abbott has the ability to stop cartels and smugglers, why'd he wait until March of 2021 to do this?

2. Did he get a price from the cartels to just stop it on their own? And did he even bother to haggle, or did he just think that God in Heaven sets prices, because Abbott is a damn dumb gringo? Of COURSE the cartels' first price is the high one, you damn dumb gringo, they expect you to say "Well, that's a really nice thing you'll do for that price, 50 billion, let me see what I've got," and then you reach in the shirt pocket where you stuck the 20 billion dollar bill, and pull it out, and look at it, and wait...

Edited by RDCanecutter
unintentionally implied that God is a gringo.
  • Like 2

Okay - I’ve been posting here a few years and this unimportant bit of trivia has been driving me crazy.

How do y’all pronounce HEB?

Is it “Hehb”? “Heeb”? Or just say the initials - “H - E - B”?

I won’t say how I’ve been reading it in my head all these years but I finally cracked and had to ask lol.

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Bama Chick said:

Okay - I’ve been posting here a few years and this unimportant bit of trivia has been driving me crazy.

I won’t say how I’ve been reading it in my head all these years but I finally cracked and had to ask lol.

Lol.  The initials.  Some will call it the "Heeb", but that's dumb.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

https://www.heb.com/static-page/article-template/Our-History

An even deeper history:

http://www.fundinguniverse.com/company-histories/h-e-butt-grocery-company-history/

On 3/3/2021 at 8:53 AM, FondrenRoad said:

Why kill the mask mandate?  There's an economic argument for opening everything, I suppose.  But the mask mandate does not cause any economic damage while still working to slow the spread. 

Personally, I'd like to see us follow the Asian model going forward after this is over. If you're sick and have to be out, wear a mask. But we are going to go instantly back to inconsiderate asshole mode instead. Whenever we catch the flu, we should legally be able to punch the people who had the flu the week before but came to work with it. 

I like this, but you have to wonder how many of these workers who come to work sick with the flu/whatever do it because of the shitty sick day system their employers have, if they even have one.   You'd think employers would be wise and want infectious workers to stay home, but noooo...come in and give everybody your shit, make sure we're all flat on our backs next week.

1 hour ago, Goredho said:

Not if Mitch McConnell has anything to say about it.    My paramedic friend who caught Covid at work is now a long hauler and has been in and out of the hospital and rehab 5 times since contracting it in Oct.   They fired her last week.  She's still in rehab.  Now with no insurance.   Fuckers.  

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 2

While we’re at it, how do you pronounce GE?

Or IBM, GM, GMC, NBC, ABC, CBS, EEG, KGB, LBJ, FDR, JFK...

There might be a song there. Throw in some doo-wacka-doo-wacka-doos maybe? Or maybe take more of a Dylanesque approach. I don’t know. But I think it has potential. 

Edited by WhatTheBuck
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

It's pronounced, "Mrs. C. C. Butt's Staple and Fancy Grocery." Well, at least it was originally pronounced that way.

80486ddc540219cc6ec1a03ecbbe690451f76cca

3 hours ago, kevwun said:

Dan Patrick or Allen West?  I don't know of another nutjob who has the name recognition to have Abbott scared shitless because he most definitely is.

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

All that said, as stated above by me and others...somebody came out of the woodwork in the last few weeks (likely seeing their window of opportunity right after the ERCOT/PUC debacle). 

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

I don't think it could just be Dan Patrick, Abbott's thought about him as a possible foe for the last 3 years.  In the Senate, the only one foolish enough to try is Donna Campbell.  That she's been so hard on the Governor when it comes to ERCOT/PUC, more than almost anybody else in the chamber---is somewhat telling.  Only statewides I can think of that are crazy enough to challenge him are Wayne Christian or Sid Miller, both of whom are far crazier right than Abbott.  Maybe Justice Blacklock from SCOT, he's very ambitious and a serious Trumper. 

Odds are it's something less dramatic like Dan Patrick decided to actually run against Abbott in 2022 and get more national name recognition.  Spooked Abbott because Patrick started contacting his donor base, marshaling state political figures on the right, has some dirt on ERCOT/PUC, and can more easily rally a more bat-shit crazy version of the Texas right to primary out Greg.  It's probably just that simple.  

These things are specifically targeted towards the right-wing part of his base, almost like he's shoring up his credentials (or trying to take away issues from a potential right-wing challenger).

Dan Patrick doesn't make a lot of sense to me - he's somewhat comfortable in his current seat when it comes to reelection.  If he sticks his neck out and runs against Abbott, and loses, he's damaged goods, especially if Abbott and his allies support a primary challenger to Patrick as payback (assuming Patrick tried to keep his LG seat while running for Governor).  Plus, Patrick wields a helluva lot of power right now, and will continue to do so even if Republicans lose more seats in the legislature going forward.

This feels like somebody else who knows they have solid Trump backing - Trumpers in the state don't like that Abbott did the mask thing last year, and did the capacity measures.  And some of the armed protestors who showed up at the state capitol were anti-Abbott types.

Donna Campbell certainly knows how to unseat an incumbent Republican in a primary, but could she take that up to the next level?   She's 66 though, so if she wants to do something more, she needs to be doing it next year or 2024.  But looking at her social media and various articles, she's just not fawning all over Trump on social media like others do.

Allen West is Chairman of the state GOP.  Trump likes him.  He was elected in Florida and is now in Texas, and thanks to those ties in both states, and his current position running the Republican Party in Texas, it gives him a helluva lot of leverage and donor network against Abbott.  Texas GOP went all Qanon as well, under his guidance.

I don't see Allen West, at 60 years old, wanting to run for a lesser non-statewide seat, nor do I see him running for a another House seat.  If he runs for something, it's going to be big.  I think it's probably him.

15 hours ago, Chewy's Hairy Horn said:

I’m guessing he’s also gonna play “Tran____ in the bathroom”, his breakout single from 2017. 

I think “Bathroom Transdemc” is the dog-whistle vernacular.

The hard ‘knee’ is akin to the hard ‘are.’

That said, and here I am on more solid ground, @Bama Chick, Texans mangle words with impunity. So, yeah. (Our HEB is a hog’s head HEB. Just bragging).

Edited by Willfully Horn
Unexpected ding-ding blues
  • Hook 'Em 1

AHB--------Allen West is a good guess.  Gets a big chunk of the batshit crazy right wing of the party.  Abbott might foolishly think West can get a half million+ Texas Blacks to vote for him in an open primary (spoiler alert, Black turnout in primaries is so they can choose Democrat candidates in their local and legislative races that might actually help them).  If anybody knows how the donor base is tilting these days, it's West...not Abbott.  Pro-Trump Texans upset with Abbott, wouldn't care about running a Black Man for Governor because he has the baked-in advantage on the general ballot of an "R" after his name.  And they probably think a bunch of racially-sensitive Democrats would break for him as well, thus negating the notion that he is too crazy right-wing to run a barely center-right state.  

let's start sniffing around.

4 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Hispanic 

Employment 

Bureau 

also, it's 'the H-E-B' 

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

AHB--------Allen West is a good guess.  Gets a big chunk of the batshit crazy right wing of the party.  Abbott might foolishly think West can get a half million+ Texas Blacks to vote for him in an open primary (spoiler alert, Black turnout in primaries is so they can choose Democrat candidates in their local and legislative races that might actually help them).  If anybody knows how the donor base is tilting these days, it's West...not Abbott.  Pro-Trump Texans upset with Abbott, wouldn't care about running a Black Man for Governor because he has the baked-in advantage on the general ballot of an "R" after his name.  And they probably think a bunch of racially-sensitive Democrats would break for him as well, thus negating the notion that he is too crazy right-wing to run a barely center-right state.  

let's start sniffing around.

West is my guess too. Abbott has a very deep war chest though. 

Edited by tx 3 putt

I think these last few posts have zeroed in on what Abbott's doing and its shoring up the base.    West is a possibility and will definitely appeal to the Trumpers.  Abbott fending off an attack.   One can only hope that West tries to primary him and the batshit craziness goes to 11.   If the Dems can run someone competent maybe we have a shot?

5 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

I think these last few posts have zeroed in on what Abbott's doing and its shoring up the base.    West is a possibility and will definitely appeal to the Trumpers.  Abbott fending off an attack.   One can only hope that West tries to primary him and the batshit craziness goes to 11.   If the Dems can run someone competent maybe we have a shot?

he's 100% being challenged in the primary. how much of a challenge is the real question. a challenge that can put a dent in his war chest and cause heavy damage would be ideal 

It won't be Patrick, he's in the more powerful seat anyway.  But beyond that I think the DNC needs to mount a campaign on Texas being tired of carpetbaggers running our state.  

The idea of West thinking he has a shot at the governorship would never have formed 20 years ago.  He needs to go back to FL.

I mean wasn't it GR going on about the importance of his bloodline reaching back to the Texas Revolution or some such?   Why the hell have any pride in being Texan if you keep turning the keys over to shysters like Goeb and Allen?  More false platitudes.

Edited by pyrohornIII
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Lol.  The initials.  Some will call it the "Heeb", but that's dumb.

Baylor kids called it Heeb, as in "Mr. Canecutter went to the ghetto Heeb," and I'm like, child, the "ghetto" is the only part of Waco that has any redeeming features.

• Hook 'Em 3

Baylor kids called it Heeb, as in "Mr. Canecutter went to the ghetto Heeb," and I'm like, child, the "ghetto" is the only part of Waco that has any redeeming features.

No way a bunch of post-teen Baptists would use an anti-Semitic slur. I don’t believe you.

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

One of his daughters lives two houses down from me.  She improved her surname by marrying a man named Crook.   

Elanor Butt Crook: https://eleanorcrookfoundation.org/about-us/

His nephew is a Travis County deputy and he'd moonlight as the school security guard at Hyde Park School. At the time, my kindergartner had told me that the security guard owned HEB. Didn't think anything of it until I met him. He looks just like a younger version of his uncle. 

5 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

These things are specifically targeted towards the right-wing part of his base, almost like he's shoring up his credentials (or trying to take away issues from a potential right-wing challenger).

Dan Patrick doesn't make a lot of sense to me - he's somewhat comfortable in his current seat when it comes to reelection.  If he sticks his neck out and runs against Abbott, and loses, he's damaged goods, especially if Abbott and his allies support a primary challenger to Patrick as payback (assuming Patrick tried to keep his LG seat while running for Governor).  Plus, Patrick wields a helluva lot of power right now, and will continue to do so even if Republicans lose more seats in the legislature going forward.

This feels like somebody else who knows they have solid Trump backing - Trumpers in the state don't like that Abbott did the mask thing last year, and did the capacity measures.  And some of the armed protestors who showed up at the state capitol were anti-Abbott types.

Donna Campbell certainly knows how to unseat an incumbent Republican in a primary, but could she take that up to the next level?   She's 66 though, so if she wants to do something more, she needs to be doing it next year or 2024.  But looking at her social media and various articles, she's just not fawning all over Trump on social media like others do.

Allen West is Chairman of the state GOP.  Trump likes him.  He was elected in Florida and is now in Texas, and thanks to those ties in both states, and his current position running the Republican Party in Texas, it gives him a helluva lot of leverage and donor network against Abbott.  Texas GOP went all Qanon as well, under his guidance.

I don't see Allen West, at 60 years old, wanting to run for a lesser non-statewide seat, nor do I see him running for a another House seat.  If he runs for something, it's going to be big.  I think it's probably him.

I'm not sure a particular person has to be identified.

He started getting shit from Texas Public Policy Foundation or Eagle Forum or another hard right group when he started to act sensible about the pandemic for a second.  He immediately turned into a loon bag and freed the salon cunt.  He's been a shitheel (or more of one) since.

He's simply afraid of being primaried by whoever the Trumpy elements put up against him.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

Sorry to hear that. If it makes you feel better, I taught them the absolute minimum required by law.

One of the very few Nashville synagogues is located way up in the woods off of West End/Harding Road near Belle Meade. I guess it was the oldest congregation in town because they had a sign at street level with a Star of David, and arrow pointing off into the deep, dark woods, and only these words: "The Temple."

Since my friends and I knew few if any Jews, and had been taught a great many facts about rampant Satanism, we convinced ourselves that there was a Devil Temple in the woods right there in Nashville's most posh precinct. Eventually my friend Charley confronted his mom with our findings -- how was this even allowed? --  and she about bust a gut.  

26 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I'm not sure a particular person has to be identified.

He started getting shit from Texas Public Policy Foundation or Eagle Forum or another hard right group when he started to act sensible about the pandemic for a second.  He immediately turned into a loon bag and freed the salon cunt.  He's been a shitheel (or more of one) since.

He's simply afraid of being primaried by whoever the Trumpy elements put up against him.

far right radio douche michael berry rails on abbott every chance he gets

1 hour ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

One of the very few Nashville synagogues is located way up in the woods off of West End/Harding Road near Belle Meade. I guess it was the oldest congregation in town because they had a sign at street level with a Star of David, and arrow pointing off into the deep, dark woods, and only these words: "The Temple."

Since my friends and I knew few if any Jews, and had been taught a great many facts about rampant Satanism, we convinced ourselves that there was a Devil Temple in the woods right there in Nashville's most posh precinct. Eventually my friend Charley confronted his mom with our findings -- how was this even allowed? --  and she about bust a gut.  

What's weird is that growing up in a town, population 25,000 and dropping, seemed like I met more Jewish people than folks here from veritable metropoles. Granted, we were an old river town that for some reason more than 100 years ago appealed to a mob of folks fleeing the Austro-Hungarian Empire, but they thrived for a good while, starting with nothing, skipping grades in school, turning umbrella repair shops into an entire business district, being mayor quite a few times.

Those days are gone now, you won't hear any Yiddish, the kids ran off to big towns to do something else or just blended in. Remarkable percentage of brunette Episcopalians there now.