Abbott being Abbott

Mo Horn

10 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

What crime exactly would they be charged with?

I'm sure somebody on here knows more about this than I do, and please correct any errors, but as I understand it, the Texas House can do what's called a "House Call" (or some similar name that I forget) where every member is literally locked in the House chambers until a vote occurs. Any member who refuses to come to the chamber is subject to arrest by DPS troopers and physically brought the chamber. Hence the need to flee the state to somewhere (OK back when they had a dem governor, N. Mexico more recently, and now DC) where the governor or chief executive won't order their troopers to arrest the absent lawmakers. The details may be incorrect, but its something like that.

Of course its not Abbot who makes the "Call" or whatever its called, its the Speaker or a majority vote of the House (not sure which).

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Captainant said:

Abbot upping the ante

'They will be arrested.' Gov. Abbott responds to Texas Democrats' flight to Washington, D.C.

TLDR - the legislators that left Texas are being threatened by hot wheels with arrest and detainment at the capitol until the GOP passes its voter disenfranchisement laws. 

Detainment at the Capitol? That's dumb. Not secure. Does the Governor understand Capitol Buildings are an attractant for an unsavory lot? These jackalopes have done it before . . .  

Ugly look for Texas. Very Dixie. Bad for business. 

The trump black hole consumes Texas.

Playing with fire while Rome burns = dumber than aggy 

• Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

So Texas embarrassed itself with the February winter storm.

Now Abbott has taken it up to 11.

We're on the road to being worse than Oklahoma or Florida.

Oklahoma and Florida did just fine during the winter storm. Only Texas entered mad max thunder dome.

I realize it’s hard for people in normal non third world states who did not experience it to comprehend how bad it actually was or even worse, it could have been. I’m talking the destruction of the entire state. That’s the free market though!

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, JimmyJames said:

I realize it’s hard for people in normal non third world states who did not experience it to comprehend how bad it actually was or even worse, it could have been. I’m talking the destruction of the entire state. That’s the free market though!

I have tried to make relatives in other states understand just how much of a shitshow it was, and they still don't get it.  Fucking photos of icicles in houses and they still failed to comprehend it.

I told one of my uncles about how everybody in the neighborhood was racing to save as much snow as possible when it almost got up to above freezing and the sun was out, so that we could flush our fucking toilets.  It still didn't register.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

On 7/6/2021 at 5:46 PM, JimmyJames said:

There is not an industry in the entire world that relies more on illegal workers than the Texas construction industry.

Say what you will about slavery fanatics like John C. Calhoun, and there is a lot to be said, but at least he did not campaign as an abolitionist while continuing to own slaves. 

On 7/11/2021 at 2:57 PM, jimmyjazz said:

This is true.  Shocking, but true.

I wonder what kind of little glitches and short circuits riddle aggy minds when they have to acknowledge that the tu governor is more to their liking than good ol' fightin' Texas aggy Rick. 

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

You know legislation is bad when both the ACLU and faith leaders are on one side while the state is on another.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/texas-abortion-law-10000-bounty-1193591/

Fix the power grid? Nahhhh

Build a police state to have ANYONE from ANYWHERE report and prosecute women seeking an abortion? Yaaaaas

This is the sort of forward-thinking solution that GRUhorn and DonkeyCigars and anastasia have been seeking

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Fix the power grid? Nahhhh

Build a police state to have ANYONE from ANYWHERE report and prosecute women seeking an abortion? Yaaaaas

Shhhhhh! They might get the idea to take a look at Tennessee and decide to have people report when a parent or health official advises a teen to get a vaccine.

• Rage+1 1

9 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Shhhhhh! They might get the idea to take a look at Tennessee and decide to have people report when a parent or health official advises a teen to get a vaccine.

What has happened to this country?

"And eliminating masks"

Whuh?  

I still have like 30 masks in my house Governor.  You didn't eliminate them.  What you meant to say was, "and eliminating mask requirements or mandates."  

Like, if I sign a bill that cuts back requirements on vehicle emissions.  I didn't "eliminate emissions from cars"...I "eliminated mandates on vehicle emissions."  

A lawyer should understand the difference.  You've been hanging around Lt. Gov. Lane Bryant for too long sir. 

You know, we saw Wayne Abbott in Branson years ago and he was just marvelous.  I mean, it's like he was singing right to the two of us...directly.  The prime rib was a little overcooked and it was pricey, but oh boy...it was just fantastic.  We've been planning to back for years but it's just so tough with the school schedules.  Anywho...you've got to try to see Wayne Abbott if you're ever out that way.  

Double Down:  "Look at little Wayne's legs..."  

yes, super fan 99 for Gretzky.  Super fan 45 for Trump.  

Either way just buzz the fucking pink dot guy in, I got time for 1 or 2 more drinks before bed.  

Edited by Lobo

Well, predictably...Abbott will contend guns are protected by the Constitution, but drugs aren't.  

The searching of the car as it goes across various state lines, for marijuana, could be an appropriate analogy.  

Well, predictably...Abbott will contend guns are protected by the Constitution, but drugs aren't.  
The searching of the car as it goes across various state lines, for marijuana, could be an appropriate analogy.  
Whither the ninth amendment?

27 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/texas-governor-abbott-signs-trigger-bill-outlawing-abortion-upon-roe-reversal/

Any woman in her right mind should seriously think about leaving Texas. What a fucked up state it has become.

You underestimate the number of stupid women who reside in Texas. The dumb is not confined to my gender.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

That's the new conservative spin regarding the recent spike in covid. Blame illegal immigrants. It wasn't  their constant push back on masks and vaccines. Nope it's them illegals.

Nobody else will believe it, but they know the rubes in their own party like Johnny sack beat-off to that kind of shit, so that's what they're rolling with. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/iowa-gov-kim-reynolds-blames-unvaccinated-immigrants-recent-covid-spike-n1275276

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4