Soup, Stew, Chili, Gumbo (Cold weather eats)

Etexhorn13

On 12/15/2020 at 6:51 PM, Hank_Hill said:

I've posted it before, but this shit is crack. Double the recipe.

https://themodernproper.com/hungarian-mushroom-soup

image.thumb.png.b8a5af6ae11361e78a8535245e6863ae.png

Pos rep, my man. Tried this last night and it was dynamite. Surprisingly the recipe doesn’t call for salt, and I don’t think it needed any. Also, got laid. Pic of soup, not of sex, so I’ll GTFO.

B23A42FC-096B-4AE3-B807-0E9F76910E27.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

On 1/9/2021 at 9:33 AM, South Austin said:

Pos rep, my man. Tried this last night and it was dynamite. Surprisingly the recipe doesn’t call for salt, and I don’t think it needed any. Also, got laid. Pic of soup, not of sex, so I’ll GTFO.

Perfect weather for this across the state today, will be making. Might post pics of food, probably post pics of getting laid.

On 12/31/2020 at 7:44 PM, Neonmoon said:

Made Julia Child’s Beef Bourguignon tonight. Holy shit this was good.

1e1623a8cbe3564d181ca5b031f99ec1.jpg
8988a6fe3d3093c451919b3b827d3ffe.jpg
9416e75ce9fdae26d499ae54da7f1bcf.jpg
4db5ceca3f8c0cec147019eb40e93266.jpg
c412a1e99b092af17c729be80dedc452.jpg

Crap these picks are not in order

I make this every few months, and yes, it is delicious.

What meat do you use? I've used rump roast and brisket before, and rump roast is definitely better.

On 1/17/2021 at 2:09 AM, Superhero said:

What meat do you use? I've used rump roast and brisket before, and rump roast is definitely better.

Rump roast from Whole Foods. I don’t really eat beef so when I do I get the good shit 

How many dishes does this dirty? Been wanting to make but my wife hates when I blast off In the kitchen and leave her a ton of shit to clean up (which happens often)

On 1/9/2021 at 9:33 AM, South Austin said:

What’s the best vessel for this? Enamel Dutch oven? I’ve convinced the wife to get this on the menu this week and I don’t want to fuck it up 

Edited by Etexhorn13

3 hours ago, South Austin said:

That's what I used.  Watch the timing, though.  It can thicken in a hurry.

Wife made me Chicken Fricasee on our 2nd date.  It did get thick in a hurry.  Best night of my life.

On 1/17/2021 at 8:54 PM, AustinMT said:

Chile Verde con Carne

spacer.png

beef?  Have you tried pork?  My wife makes pork chili verde, reverse engineered the recipe from the Coffee Cup in Boulder City, NV which was a triple D featured dish. She uses fresh tomatillos though.  Pos rep, this is just about my favorite food.

Edited by BearSchlong

9 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:

Wife made me Chicken Fricasee on our 2nd date.  It did get thick in a hurry.  Best night of my life.

beef?  Have you tried pork?  My wife makes pork chili verde, reverse engineered the recipe from the Coffee Cup in Boulder City, NV which was a triple D featured dish. She uses fresh tomatillos though.  Pos rep, this is just about my favorite food.

Yes.  Made lots of pork Chile verde over the years.  This was actually the first time I tried it with beef.  A Homesick Texan recipe, and it was very good.

Want my cheat code for green chili pork stew?

Brown the meat and onions, add a little chicken stock (go light on the sodium) to cook till it’s almost tender enough.

Then add two jars of this:

dbaa93e00b948fc3325110f10d93bb02.jpg

It has plenty of salt, that’s why you shouldn’t add any more.

Add your diced potatoes and some diced green chiles, simmer till the potatoes are tender.

It’s my son’s favorite stew.
  • Hook 'Em 5

try it with beef cheeks (my favorite) and beef shanks (my second favorite). 

22 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

what recipe did you use?  i've made it a few times but i've never found one i was happy with.

Mine is a lot brothier than that particular version.  I like both versions, but learned how to make the brothy variety watching my Italian grandmother make it every Thanksgiving and Christmas.  

On 1/25/2021 at 12:24 PM, Brisketexan said:

Brown the meat and onions, add a little chicken stock (go light on the sodium) to cook till it’s almost tender enough.

Add your diced potatoes and some diced green chiles, simmer till the potatoes are tender.

Sounds good, how much meat do you match up to the two jars of Herdez?

1 minute ago, utee94 said:

Sounds good, how much meat do you match up to the two jars of Herdez?

2 lb diced pork, a diced onion, several cloves of diced garlic added at the end of the browning process.  Add enough liquid to cover, simmer for around 2 hours.  Add the salsa, simmer a bit, add the potatoes, simmer around 30 mins, add the green chiles near the end.

I just decided to do it when I realized I could make my own tomatillo base to put in the pot....or I could buy a really tasty tomatillo salsa as a shortcut, and I've never looked back.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 1/25/2021 at 12:24 PM, Brisketexan said:

I had not had this until 5 or 6 years ago.  Was at my aunt’s house and she asked me to grab something out of the pantry.  She had 10-15 bottles of this in her pantry.  I asked her why, and she said ‘so I never run out of it’.  Always had a bottle on hand since then, it’s good stuff.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I had not had this until 5 or 6 years ago.  Was at my aunt’s house and she asked me to grab something out of the pantry.  She had 10-15 bottles of this in her pantry.  I asked her why, and she said ‘so I never run out of it’.  Always had a bottle on hand since then, it’s good stuff.

It really is -- I cook with it a good bit.  Makes for good chilaquiles, for example.  Want to just brown some chicken breasts, and simmer in verde sauce and serve over rice?  Easy weeknight dinner.  Pour some into an omelette pan, get it to a simmer, crack a couple of eggs on top, put the lid on, scoop and serve when the eggs are done to your preference (great meal any time).  It's such a solid base for so many things.

what recipe did you use?  i've made it a few times but i've never found one i was happy with.

Italian Wedding Soup

1/2 lb of ground beef
1/4 cup bread crumbs
Italian Seasoning
Olive oil
1 can Cannellini Beans (drained & rinsed)
2 cans low sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup chopped onions
1/4 cup chopped celery
1/4 cup chopped carrot (optional)
1 chopped clove of garlic
8 oz package of spinach
1/4th cup of Orzo (I use Delallo brand - it's made in Italy and the flour they use there seems to make soup creamier)
Shredded Parmesan cheese for garnish

Make meatballs by mixing ground beef, bread crumbs and about 1/2-1 tsp of Italian Seasoning. Form into the size of a marble.
Cook onions, celery and carrot in olive oil until done. Then add garlic until fragrant
Add chicken broth then bring to boil. The follow directions on pasta.

While cooking veggies, saute meatballs in a bit of olive oil until browned.

Once pasta cooked, add cooked meatballs, beans and spinach to soup.

Once spinach is wilted, soup should be ready.Top with shredded parmesan cheese.
Actually not the “classic” recipe. My wife came up with this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

My taste standard for green chile pork stew was set by Roaring Fork, and they don't use potatoes . . . so I don't use potatoes.

I assume it's done as cheap filler, kinda like a lot of "Indian" vindaloo dishes, but I'd rather go full protein.

It is, it's the more po folks version.  Most of the time I use potatoes because that's how I've had it.  But it's also good as a green chile "posole" version, using hominy.  I do like Roaring Fork's but their version is so thick it's almost like a green chile pork carne guisada.  Which is good, I like it.  But I prefer a little more broth-y version for family stew time.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

What's the rough ratio of pork to potatoes?  Like, 1 lb each?

I did about 2 lbs pork on my last batch.   As for potatoes, I dunno, dice some and put them in till it looks right.  I got two decent sized russets, and used about 1.5.  Probably about 1.5 lbs -- slightly less potato than pork, I think.  But again, I really just eyeballed it.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

My taste standard for green chile pork stew was set by Roaring Fork, and they don't use potatoes . . . so I don't use potatoes.

I assume it's done as cheap filler, kinda like a lot of "Indian" vindaloo dishes, but I'd rather go full protein.

Agree. I never use potatoes in Chile verde

21 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Hominy is the answer.  Of course, then it is considered to be a version of Posole.  Good stuff, regardless.

I'm a fan of all the versions.  I like Roaring Fork's with no potatoes and tortillas on the side (although....they use store-bought tortillas.  Weak).  I like it with potatoes, that's actually real traditional NM po folks version.  I like it with hominy to make a green chile posole.  Truly, the green chili broth and the pork are the base -- do what you want with that.