Soup, Stew, Chili, Gumbo (Cold weather eats)

Etexhorn13

20 minutes ago, South Austin said:

The posole at Lonesome Dove sucks. 80% hominy, 10% pork, 10% broth. Haven’t found good posole in Austin in a while. Any suggestions?

I don't think I've had any in Austin, at least that I can recall.  More of a New Mexico thing for the green, and Colorado for the red posole. 

2 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

It's cold as fuck and I'm going to make some of that Hungarian soup tonight. 

I baked a whole package of Chicken Thighs last night just so I would have meat and rendered fat to make some Chicken & Rice soup this evening.  Can't wait to get home.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Went ahead and made the chicken & rice soup this evening.   Somehow forgot to take pics of the final product    

started by making some stock with the bones & skins from the thighs I baked last night, and veggie ends.   

finished stock, while the veggies for the soup got a nice little simmer in some butter, rendered chicken fat & olive oil    

D3FF0BEF-6308-41ED-8535-38EBED3FA440.jpeg

AE77BD90-738D-4EEC-837A-5488E1538B01.jpeg

7E618ADE-31BE-40E5-8605-F9208702CAFD.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 5

I normally make my chicken and dumplings from scratch but didn't have the time or inclination tonight and I have a freezer full of stock I made last month so I knew it would come out pretty good either way. I have also made C&D in the past with roasted hatch peppers mixed in and it was good. I didn't have any today but I did spot a jar of Herdez Salsa Verde in the cabinet so I figured why the fuck not?

Came out amazing and took less than an hour. The lady is still raving about it so I told her I'd type out the recipe before I forgot it so I could make it the same next time. Then I remembered this thread and thought I'd share.

Mexican Chicken and Dumplings

Soup

1 fully cooked rotisserie chicken picked off the bone

1.5 qts chicken stock

1 jar Herdez Green tomatillo salsa

4 Tbsp butter

6 cloves garlic minced

1 large onion diced

5 stalks celery diced

3 carrots diced

1 jalapeno diced

3 Tbsp fresh thyme

2 Tbsp cumin

Salt, black pepper and white pepper to taste

½ cup heavy cream

Dumplings

2.5 cups flour

1 Tbsp Baking powder

1 Tbsp salt

1 ¼ cups Half and half

¼ cup water

Directions

Melt butter and sautee all vegetable until soft (about 15 minutes). Add stock, salsa and thyme and bring to a rolling boil for 5 minutes. Lower heat to medium and add chicken and let simmer for 10 minutes. While that is happening, mix the dumpling mix. Bring heat back up to a medium boil. Drop heaping tablespoons of dumpling mix into the pot. Stir in between drops to keep them from sticking together. Once all dumplings are in the pot, put the lid on and simmer for 10-12 minutes until dumplings are done. Remove from heat and wait five minutes. Add in heavy cream and stir well. Serve

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

Tonight I had a couple of boneless skinless chicken breasts I needed to either cook or freeze, so I seasoned them with a little Gebhardt chili powder, baked them, took 3 pouches of Frontera Green Chile Enchilada Sauce, 4 cups of chicken stock and some rice and made a pantry-style green chile chicken stew.  It was surprisingly good.  Fed 4 for less than $12, too.

image.thumb.png.4c27f9b7043875a2b0c5f2d98556b0d6.png

• Hook 'Em 5

Forgot to take pics but made a green gumbo last night that got destroyed.  Honestly, I may like it better than regular gumbo.

1. Make a roux.

2. Add the Trinity and garlic.

3. Add andouille, smoked ham, a ham hock, 2 bags (2 pounds) of the Green Trio (collard, mustard, turnip) from H-E-B (Sorry, it ain't open), 6-8 cups of chicken stock, 2 bay leaves and a tablespoon of Cajun seasoning.

4. Bring to a simmer and cover for two hours.

5. Adjust seasoning.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Forgot to take pics but made a green gumbo last night that got destroyed.  Honestly, I may like it better than regular gumbo.

1. Make a roux.

3. Add andouille, smoked ham, a ham hock, 2 bags (2 pounds) of the Green Trio (collard, mustard, turnip) from H-E-B (Sorry, it ain't open), 6-8 cups of chicken stock, 2 bay leaves and a tablespoon of Cajun seasoning.

5. Adjust seasoning.

Nice. There’s a solid green gumbo recipe in Talk About Good I made several years ago. Need to revisit that one.

6 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

1. Make a roux.

5. Adjust seasoning.

I once judged gumbo at a bbq cookoff and one was green but that was because of cilantro....    If you like your health I advise against signing up to do this ever.  Some were clear, some red or yellow and out of like twenty I tasted I think one was actually something you would call gumbo.  

On 10/29/2020 at 7:12 AM, TexPx said:

6371c69d7649606097b6fe42d8cefac0.jpg

Got this recipe from Food Network and it’s a good one. Tortellini, Hot Italian Sausage and white beans.

On 11/10/2020 at 7:54 PM, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Made this for the second time, fuck it's good. Beans still disappear, but oh well. 

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

No power.  No problem.  BGE still works.  I reminded my neighbor of this more than once as his "plug in outdoor oven" known as Traeger sat idly by.  Smoked chuck with onions and hatch peppers

1771845712_SmokedChuck1.thumb.jpg.1bb00b56b2cdbc75d5bac3cb7e02da88.jpg1028954500_SmokedChuck2.0.thumb.jpg.5b53ee1f578cb7540b1d412eafab8137.jpg250554048_SmokedChuck3.0.thumb.jpg.ba9573c708f26277fd1555b817a17f61.jpg

How did the BGE hold up with the moisture and cold? Do you have a fan or something that regulates the heat? I can't imagine staying outside when it's 5 degrees watching the top thermostat

1 minute ago, Jameslaw121 said:

How did the BGE hold up with the moisture and cold? Do you have a fan or something that regulates the heat? I can't imagine staying outside when it's 5 degrees watching the top thermostat

Old egg gave zero F's.  Just cranked along like it was a sunny afternoon.  I paid it no mind, didn't even break out my dual-probe, and let her run.  This was when it was in single digits outside and minus quite a bit more with the wind.  

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Old egg gave zero F's.  Just cranked along like it was a sunny afternoon.  I paid it no mind, didn't even break out my dual-probe, and let her run.  This was when it was in single digits outside and minus quite a bit more with the wind.  

I have an electric smoker now. Wanting a BGE - but we're planning on redoing the back yard next summer, so I've been holding off and living vicariously through people on here

4 minutes ago, Jameslaw121 said:

I have an electric smoker now. Wanting a BGE - but we're planning on redoing the back yard next summer, so I've been holding off and living vicariously through people on here

Cool thing is if you build an outdoor kitchen area, just add a "nook" or cutout for them.  They have flat bottoms.  Like this (not mine, just an example)....but I LOVE the egg and griddle combo.  

9e98f1f9097ba081d1a9530828eb8bbd.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 1/26/2021 at 5:51 PM, Brisketexan said:

2 lb diced pork, a diced onion, several cloves of diced garlic added at the end of the browning process.  Add enough liquid to cover, simmer for around 2 hours.  Add the salsa, simmer a bit, add the potatoes, simmer around 30 mins, add the green chiles near the end.

I just decided to do it when I realized I could make my own tomatillo base to put in the pot....or I could buy a really tasty tomatillo salsa as a shortcut, and I've never looked back.

Thank you for this!  I had 2 jars of the salsa, 1.5lbs of pork chops, 1 shallot, 3 garlic cloves.  Cubed the chops and browned them.  I pulled this together in the pressure cooker and served it over some rice cooked in broth that I had frozen.  Took some over to a neighbor and asked if he was okay.  He said, "Yep, fine! Thank you!"  He called my husband before I got back inside and let him know he was out of water and needed help.  Our neighborhood has spotty power, but we have been out of water for days.  Check on folks. 

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Made an oopsie posting this in the wrong thread, but figured it’s getting time to start this one back up. Plus, I put beans in my chili. 

Last weekend was the first good chili weather weekend in Houston, so I had to make a pot. I decided that other than eating it as frito pie, my second favorite (ok maybe my first favorite) way of eating chili is to plop down a couple of corn tortillas heated in a pan, fry a couple of eggs to where they’re still runny, and top with a hefty portion of chili and cheese. I call it Redneck Benedict… it would maybe be my death row last meal. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Etexhorn13 said:

Made an oopsie posting this in the wrong thread, but figured it’s getting time to start this one back up. Plus, I put beans in my chili. 

Last weekend was the first good chili weather weekend in Houston, so I had to make a pot. I decided that other than eating it as frito pie, my second favorite (ok maybe my first favorite) way of eating chili is to plop down a couple of corn tortillas heated in a pan, fry a couple of eggs to where they’re still runny, and top with a hefty portion of chili and cheese. I call it Redneck Benedict… it would maybe be my death row last meal. 

What about this but with a piece of cornbread instead of the tortillas?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, kilroydos said:

What about this but with a piece of cornbread instead of the tortillas?

Instead of a piece of cornbread, make a big pancake with cornbread batter as a bed for the eggs.

When I make chili, I always make some cornbread pancakes and lay one across the top of the bowl.  Cut through it with the spoon for some cornbread with the chili.

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We make a variety of soups and stews all year long. This one isn’t fancy but I can make a pot and my wife will eat it until it’s gone so it solves cooking for about a week. My mom made it all the time as my old man loved it with cornbread. She called it “stew” but it’s really just vegetable beef soup. You can add and subtract to your taste, adding heat, other vegetables, different herbs. After nearly 40 years of marriage we know what we like and don’t. We don’t put in potatoes, rice, or noodles. I hate Lima beans in it she hates green beans in it. I like a can of Rotel she doesn’t. Most of the measurements are to taste.

Vegetable Beef Soup

3 lbs ground beef 80/20
2 onions chopped
5 stalks celery destrung and chopped fine
4 carrots diced
3 or 4 cloves garlic
3 28oz cans crushed tomatoes (red gold)
16oz low sodium beef broth
Salt
Black pepper
Bay leaf
Oregano
Marjoram
Parsley
Squirt of hot sauce, ketchup, worchestershire, or balsamic vinegar as needed
2 bags frozen sweet corn
2 bags sweet green peas

Brown the beef in a bit of oil. Add onions, celery, carrots, garlic and cook this onions clear and celery soft. Add tomatoes. Add broth. Spices. Add corn and peas. Adjust seasonings and round out flavor with suggested squirts. Let simmer til carrots are soft and flavors meld. Eat with cornbread or biscuits.

And here is a very simple soup my wife loves. Very quick.

Pea soup.

1 onion diced
1 carrot diced (optional)
1 stick butter
2 lbs frozen sweet green peas thawed
32oz box chicken broth low sodium
Salt
Pepper
Marjoram or mint
Parsley
Bacon fried and crumbled
Mexican crema

Sauté the onion and carrot in a couple tbsp of butter til soft. Add butter and broth. Season. Let it simmer to warm. Use immersion blender or vitamin and blend until very smooth. Ladle into bowls top with bacon and crema.

9 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

And here is a very simple soup my wife loves. Very quick.

Pea soup.

1 onion diced
1 carrot diced (optional)
1 stick butter
2 lbs frozen sweet green peas thawed
32oz box chicken broth low sodium
Salt
Pepper
Marjoram or mint
Parsley
Bacon fried and crumbled
Mexican crema

Sauté the onion and carrot in a couple tbsp of butter til soft. Add butter and broth. Season. Let it simmer to warm. Use immersion blender or vitamin and blend until very smooth. Ladle into bowls top with bacon and crema.

Vax thread is -------> way

The fan motor in our refrigerator crapped out yesterday, and I needed to use up some chicken breast I was gonna cook tonight.  I had some poblano peppers on hand, along with the usual pantry potatoes, tomatoes, onions, etc., so I roasted the peppers in the oven and whipped up a green chile stew.  (Yeah, it's supposed to use pork or beef.  Chicken it is.)

It was delicious.

image.thumb.png.cd888e5167dea8fccd8f66d7d149afaa.png

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

oops didn't realize there was a thread specifically for soups and such lol

on a post-vacation soup kick rn...

potato leek, garnished with bacon and chives:

20220120_195928.thumb.jpg.a5afe3aa8036af9900079d0fbe7ccc05.jpg.4637b8f11efb8a881e730fd8461c9eea.jpg

tonight was lemon chicken with spinach and orzo, garnished with fresh parm and chives:

20220122_194526.thumb.jpg.36acf97fa76d402026c99a26da3f556b.jpg

next up in a couple of days will be an asian chicken soup i do with Thai basil and chiles, fish sauce, lots of lime, cilantro, all that kinda goodness - a favorite!

• Hook 'Em 2