Soup, Stew, Chili, Gumbo (Cold weather eats)

Etexhorn13

Tortellini/ italian sausage  soup served over raw spinach in the bowl.
Braided loaf of homemade bread.
Oh...and we have 21degrees this morning and a light layer of snow over last night's freezing drizzle/ sleet/ wintry mix from hell.
Bread.jpg

6371c69d7649606097b6fe42d8cefac0.jpg
Got this recipe from Food Network and it’s a good one. Tortellini, Hot Italian Sausage and white beans.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/29/2020 at 7:12 AM, TexPx said:

6371c69d7649606097b6fe42d8cefac0.jpg

Got this recipe from Food Network and it’s a good one. Tortellini, Hot Italian Sausage and white beans.

Made this tonight even though it's not exactly cold out. Damn good, but the beans I used (Bush's Great Northern) completely disappeared unlike your pic. What brand did you go with?

Here's the link for anyone else, super easy... 

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/sausage-white-bean-and-tortellini-soup-recipe-2119901

Also made these to go with. 

On 8/5/2020 at 8:30 AM, Steamboat1874 said:

If you think they are good plain you should try this....

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/15956/ranch-oyster-crackers/

Edited by shadow_operative2.0

So I made a gumbo over the weekend, and the flavor turned out great, but something happened with my roux that’s never happened to me before. I followed my usual 1.25/1 flour to oil ratio, but my roux kinda ended up separating. Once it’s in the bowl it looks alright, albeit a bit oily, but when I mix it up in the pot it seems a lot of liquid comes up and I’ll see the roux type liquid sorta suspended. Any ideas what that could be from? Not enough flour perhaps? Flavor-wise it’s on the money but I’m glad I’m just serving it to my wife and myself.

120AD454-19CD-481D-83F7-9A5440018BA5.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Etexhorn13 said:

So I made a gumbo over the weekend, and the flavor turned out great, but something happened with my roux that’s never happened to me before. I followed my usual 1.25/1 flour to oil ratio, but my roux kinda ended up separating. Once it’s in the bowl it looks alright, albeit a bit oily, but when I mix it up in the pot it seems a lot of liquid comes up and I’ll see the roux type liquid sorta suspended. Any ideas what that could be from? Not enough flour perhaps? Flavor-wise it’s on the money but I’m glad I’m just serving it to my wife and myself.

120AD454-19CD-481D-83F7-9A5440018BA5.jpeg

Separating?  That’s a new one. Did you grab the wrong canister or something?  Used standard AP Flour, correct?  

i use 1:1 ratio and have been using Butter instead of Oil, but I’ve never seen what you’re describing. Huh. Sounds like it will be a good excuse to make more Gumbo soon. 

Gotta say...that bowl looks mighty fine to me just as it is. Cheers!

120AD454-19CD-481D-83F7-9A5440018BA5.thumb.jpeg.ebca4e0c5b629cf6c902f3e938e9a9ca.jpeg

It’s happened to me a couple of times. I’ve never been able to figure out why, but it’s seemed to happen only when the roux became very, very dark (but not burned), almost black per Paul Prudhomme’s method.

4 hours ago, HouTex said:

It’s happened to me a couple of times. I’ve never been able to figure out why, but it’s seemed to happen only when the roux became very, very dark (but not burned), almost black per Paul Prudhomme’s method.

Your comment got me thinking, and after a little research it sounds like there are two main thoughts about it. First, the darker the roux the less thickening agency it will have. This makes sense, because this was probably the darker roux I’ve made to date, but I don’t totally buy it... I’ve seen tons of really dark roux on this site and in person. The second thing I saw a lot was people mentioning to make sure your stock that you add is cold. I’m not sure why exactly, but that kinda makes sense looking back on the other gumbos I’ve made having had my chicken stock in the fridge previously. Mostly though, I don’t think there’s a firm answer for this. Oh well, guess I’ll have to make another soon 🤷‍♂️

5 hours ago, Etexhorn13 said:

Your comment got me thinking, and after a little research it sounds like there are two main thoughts about it. First, the darker the roux the less thickening agency it will have. This makes sense, because this was probably the darker roux I’ve made to date, but I don’t totally buy it... I’ve seen tons of really dark roux on this site and in person. The second thing I saw a lot was people mentioning to make sure your stock that you add is cold. I’m not sure why exactly, but that kinda makes sense looking back on the other gumbos I’ve made having had my chicken stock in the fridge previously. Mostly though, I don’t think there’s a firm answer for this. Oh well, guess I’ll have to make another soon 🤷‍♂️

Only other tip I can add is to add the stock slowly, and incorporate as you go, as opposed to dumping it all in at once.

5 hours ago, Etexhorn13 said:

2 hours ago, elfenix said:

there's no emulsifier to keep the oil and water from separating.  the oil is there to keep the starch granules apart so that they disperse into the stock and undergo starch gelatinzation more readily.  maybe some of the oil gets trapped in the gelatinzation process, but until that happens it will separate.

These.  My daughter did a science project back in the day on the thickening processes of various darkness of roux -- and yeah, super-dark roux has almost no thickening power.  And the thickening is connected to the starch thickening and trapping some oil with the starch.  

I often have to let my gumbo rest/sit at the end, when some oil goes to the top.  Some of it is from the andouille, some is from roux separation.  I just set a couple of paper towels right on top, soak up that oil, and all is good.

6 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

These.  My daughter did a science project back in the day on the thickening processes of various darkness of roux -- and yeah, super-dark roux has almost no thickening power.  And the thickening is connected to the starch thickening and trapping some oil with the starch.

I believe this is correct.  My understanding is that as the starches get cooked out pf the roux  at the darkest stages, there is nothing capturing the oil and holding it in the "solution".  Affects appearance and mouth feel if it allowed to settle and separate, but not the flavor and isn't apparent when stirred and eaten relatively quickly.

The oil has done it's job to impart flavor and color in the browning, but leaves the party if it goes beyond that.

3 hours ago, Underdog said:

C&D is also on my last meal list, although I prefer drop dumplings.  

The I Want That gif needs to be added to the gif list on CR thread.

I usually do the drop method, felt like mixing it up a little for a change, next time I'll go back.  Best is a day or two after, when almost all the dumplings are gone but most of the soup is still there, just add a touch of water and make a whole new batch.  The few dumplings left over from the first round dissolve into the soup, making it even more thick and creamy.  I usually add a pinch of italian seasonings to mine, really adds a whole 'nother level to the dumplings.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, UTCzech III said:

I usually do the drop method, felt like mixing it up a little for a change, next time I'll go back.  Best is a day or two after, when almost all the dumplings are gone but most of the soup is still there, just add a touch of water and make a whole new batch.  The few dumplings left over from the first round dissolve into the soup, making it even more thick and creamy.  I usually add a pinch of italian seasonings to mine, really adds a whole 'nother level to the dumplings.

The wife's not as big of a fan of dumplings as I am, she'll make her a bowl and freeze some after the first batch dissolve making for a thicker soup and then add more dumplings for me.   The bigger, the doughier, the better for me.  We'll have to try the Italian seasoning next time, sounds good. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m going to make some picnic stew tonight.  It’s a old Czech stew that’s very flavorful.  Below is the only thing I could find online about it or a recipe.

Some guys from Shiner contacted me after I wrote about it on my Fried Chicken Blog. Here is the information they provided me. Also, what we know as picnic stew was once also called Schuster Stew after the family around Moulton who catered many events in the early 1900's.Picnic Stew Recipes from friends in Austin:
My family name is Filip but my mother's maiden name is Riha. I grew up in Shiner and moved to Austin around 1980.
Here is the Picnic stew recipe, scaled down from 100 lbs so some adjustment to your taste might be needed 

there are two sets of ingredients. One from my brother (Ken) and one from my nephew (Kevin), but the cooking method is adapted for slow cooker, though you can cook at medium heat on a stove for 3+ hours.
Ingredients - Ken's recipe
3 lb stew meat
2.5 tbsp Crisco
1 Tbsp vinegar
1/2 cup water
1/2 onion diced
1/2 clove garlic diced
2 stalks celery finely chopped
1 tsp chili powder initial (or more to taste when near done)
1 tsp salt
3-4 whole allspice
4-6 bay leaves
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce

Ingredients - Kevin's recipe
3 lb stew meat
1 tbsp salt
1 tbsp pepper
1/4 tbsp allspice (in cheesecloth bag)
2 stalks celery finely chopped
1/2 onion diced
1/2 cup water
4-6 bay leaves (in cheesecloth bag)
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce

Instructions
Brown stew meat in Crisco initially then turn to slow heat and add rest of ingredients above.
Low on slow cooker for 6 hours or cook on stove top, low heat for 2-3 hours until meat is tender.

14 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

It turned out really good.  I added more broth, some red wine, red and yellow bell peppers and a few potato’s and the flavor is great.  

1C4CB3C6-AA27-43A4-B241-B7805BBFC4F6.jpeg

F5CE4732-5A37-4C25-AF01-B1782256DF35.jpeg

FC76428D-0494-4049-9E3D-BBEF3183F4D9.jpeg

Nice, I like your note about being scaled down, yeah, been to many a family reunion or redneck bachelor party where my uncles would make a cauldron full, everybody would take home leftovers by the gallon...

Made some Turkey Noodle Soup last night with Thanksgiving leftovers.  

Just simmered 1/2 onion, garlic, ginger in a little bit of oil.  Then added carrots, celery, peas, stock, and shredded turkey meat.  Let that run for a bit and add the noodles.  Super easy and delicious on a chilly Central Texas night.  

1 hour ago, LW Goatman said:

Who has a great potato soup recipe they'd like to share?

I like to use Yukon Gold potatoes.

Ingredients:

Bacon Grease

Stick of Butter

1 medium yellow onion

2 tablespoons Minced Garlic

1 small poblano pepper

1.5 large pieces of celery (pulled off a fresh stalk)

1 small can cream of chicken soup concentrate

2.5-3 lbs Yukon Gold Potatoes

2 cups milk

1 cup heavy cream

1/4 cup flour (as needed)

1 bunch fresh green onion

1/3 lb bacon

3 oz cheddar cheese

1 large container chicken stock or homemade soup stock if available.

-Finely chop onion, poblano, celery, garlic and put them into a cast iron skillet or dutch oven with 2 tablespoons bacon grease and stick of butter.  Let simmer on low heat until onions/celery/garlic/pepper are soft.  

-Add can of cream of chicken soup and stir occasionally with wooden spoon.

Meanwhile:

-cube potatoes into smallish cubes (no larger than 3/4 inch if possible)

-boil  chicken stock and 2 cups of milk

-drop potatoes into the boil and cook them until the become soft.

Meanwhile:

-place bacon on a baking sheet on foil at 375 for about 25 minutes (want to get it good and crispy)

-after it's good an crispy, strain the bacon grease and put it back in your bacon grease collection for future use, and chop the bacon into bacon bits

-cut the bunch of green onions

Once potatoes are soft, scoop them out and put them into the dutch oven with the still simmering mixture.  Then pour the remaining broth/stock/milk mixture into the dutch. 

Put 1/2 of the chopped bacon bits into the dutch

Turn up the heat to medium and stir frequently to prevent sticking.  

As it cooks down a bit, add the heavy cream and let it work into the mixture.  Turn heat down to 2-3.   If still a little thin, add the 1/4 cup of flour and whisk into the mixture.  Continue to stir semi frequently and turn heat to low.   

Salt and pepper to taste.  Garnish with cheese, fresh green onions, and bacon bits.  

Results look like this....

46D4E231-D0B7-49EE-A3E1-00E95ED2911E.jpeg

Edited by Trey3216
  • Hook 'Em 2

120AD454-19CD-481D-83F7-9A5440018BA5.thumb.jpeg.ebca4e0c5b629cf6c902f3e938e9a9ca.jpeg

usually happens when you add really cold water or stock.

pro-tip: an immersion blender is your friend in these situations.