The What You are Buying you kids for Christmas Thread 2020

MoJames

Got a 5 and 7 year old, both boys, and they are spending a chunk of time on their Switch as of late.

Thinking about getting them some of those ground video game chairs that have speakers in them.

Not interested in buying them a PS5 or Xbox whatever. Think it is too early to think about ping pong or foosball tables, but one day.

What is everyone else doing?

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

My kid wants a VR set up for his computer. I’m not trying to break the bank here. Any suggestions??

The computer was built to game and stream, so it can handle pretty much anything.

Good question, I'm not there yet, but I'd be interested to find out.

Getting the five year old a new bike.  She’s been trading up each year since aged 2 with used bikes from neighbors.  But this year she gets a shiny new one with handbrakes, custom basket, and water bottle holder.   And then some socks.  

I love they she loves outside shit.  She likes toys as much as the next kid but she really likes outside stuff.  

I do worry though about video games.  Every kid on the street it seems is a junkie with that shit.  I didn’t get into it until I was about 9.  But that was a totally different era and I didn’t know any girls into video games.  At what age are y’all seeing daughters get into video games?   

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Getting the five year old a new bike.  She’s been trading up each year since aged 2 with used bikes from neighbors.  But this year she gets a shiny new one with handbrakes, custom basket, and water bottle holder.   And then some socks.  

I love they she loves outside shit.  She likes toys as much as the next kid but she really likes outside stuff.  

I do worry though about video games.  Every kid on the street it seems is a junkie with that shit.  I didn’t get into it until I was about 9.  But that was a totally different era and I didn’t know any girls into video games.  At what age are y’all seeing daughters get into video games?   

daughter is 10 and now getting really into Minecraft.  she sounds the same as your little one.  loves skateboarding, tree climbing and we got her a 10 speed for her b-day that she loves to ride.  But yeah, with more stay home time and no sports leagues for her to play in, the gaming has increased 

I have no idea what my are going to get. ffs, they pretty much have everything.  

11 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Giving my kids.

Another banner fucking year at the ol' Davis family

A carton of cigarettes

Smoke up kids

Yeah I was trying to decide between this joke and the Simpsons one. Will probably result in comment envy.

My sons friend plays Roblox with him and a buddy. She holds her own with them. My buddy’s daughter plays Roblox and Minecraft.

Do the daughters mostly like console games at that age (xbox, et. al.) or is it more computer gaming?  I downloaded one game for her on my phone...it's Doggy Day Care (she wants to be a vet when she grows up).  If she does a good job at school during the week, she gets to play a few rounds on the weekend on dad's phone.  I know this kinda reward system ain't gonna last forever.  But I just wonder at what point do you have the have the serious negotiation about a proper console system with girls.  I know with boys, it's like as soon as they go off breastfeeding.  Hell, there's a young kid on my street, I'm pretty sure he suckles while talking trash with other 3 year olds on Minecraft.  

3 hours ago, Lobo said:

Do the daughters mostly like console games at that age (xbox, et. al.) or is it more computer gaming?  I downloaded one game for her on my phone...it's Doggy Day Care (she wants to be a vet when she grows up).  If she does a good job at school during the week, she gets to play a few rounds on the weekend on dad's phone.  I know this kinda reward system ain't gonna last forever.  But I just wonder at what point do you have the have the serious negotiation about a proper console system with girls.  I know with boys, it's like as soon as they go off breastfeeding.  Hell, there's a young kid on my street, I'm pretty sure he suckles while talking trash with other 3 year olds on Minecraft.  

15 and 12 and they never got into console games. They will download and play games on their phones, but it’s just the garden variety app style games. The youngest has played Roblox and Minecraft occasionally.

Oldest has mentioned wanting one of the arcade game setups they have now with the old school arcade games on them.

Edited by Brew
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Both are getting new bikes. A Trek Precaliber 24” for the 8 YO and a TBD 29er for the 14 YO. Bought the 24” last week and I’m browsing for the other. Good bikes are difficult to come by right now so you need to buy early.

Post the question about the 29er on the mtb thread.  You're bound to get some good advice.  

Mine are easy as hell now...

Nice beers for the oldest.  Bourbon for the youngest.

My wife tries to get all complicated, mostly because she fucking cares; but yeah, Christmas is easier when they get older.

Been hunting a go cart for the 8 yo, or maybe a 50cc 4 wheeler if I can find the right one.  She’s been really into getting down to the lease with me this year, so figured that would be cool for her to have there.  Middle one just likes clothes and makeup and that kind of stuff. Youngest likes LEGO’s like crazy, but she’s too young to build by the actual plans. But she builds big conglomerates of nothing and loves it. So I’ll probably buy some 1000 piece type LEGO deal and see what she comes up with.  Other than the LEGO’s, I try not to buy toys. They’ve got so damn many. 

15 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Been hunting a go cart for the 8 yo, or maybe a 50cc 4 wheeler if I can find the right one. 

I bought one of these for my son when he was younger.  We took it up to the ranch and one of his older cousins showed him how to drift in it.  He promptly flipped it and broke his arm.  He was a lot more careful after that, but it was a constant battle to keep it running.  It's been sitting in a barn for a few years now, but some of his younger cousins are after me to get it running again.

AML3171_01.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I bought one of these for my son when he was younger.  We took it up to the ranch and one of his older cousins showed him how to drift in it.  He promptly flipped it and broke his arm.  He was a lot more careful after that, but it was a constant battle to keep it running.  It's been sitting in a barn for a few years now, but some of his younger cousins are after me to get it running again.

AML3171_01.jpg

Man. I did every single thing possible to try and flip my Manco to no avail.  It was low riding compared to that one tho.  No roll bars or suspension because 80’s.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/22/2020 at 10:23 AM, MoJames said:

Got a 5 and 7 year old, both boys, and they are spending a chunk of time on their Switch as of late.

Thinking about getting them some of those ground video game chairs that have speakers in them.

Not interested in buying them a PS5 or Xbox whatever. Think it is too early to think about ping pong or foosball tables, but one day.

What is everyone else doing?

When my son was 8 we built one of those retro arcade machines together - cost about $300 all in for the monitor, speakers, raspberry pi, and the joysticks, decals and boards for the machine itself.  Took about 3 hours to put together on Dec 26, another 2 to load the games and emulator on the pi.  It was really easy - just needed glue, a screwdriver, and a bit of time.  Was fun to see a kid born in 2006 playing Galaga and Defender, and it was a big hit with his friends.  He was really proud of building it, too.

Of course he and his friends tore it up and we ended up scavenging it for parts in about 2 years, but it was a great present.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 10/23/2020 at 12:35 PM, Lobo said:

What size bike? My girl is turning 5 and her bike looks a bit small but I think she can still barely touch the ground with her toe so maybe it's ok for another year.

1 hour ago, Liquor and Poker said:

When my son was 8 we built one of those retro arcade machines together - cost about $300 all in for the monitor, speakers, raspberry pi, and the joysticks, decals and boards for the machine itself.  Took about 3 hours to put together on Dec 26, another 2 to load the games and emulator on the pi.  It was really easy - just needed glue, a screwdriver, and a bit of time.  Was fun to see a kid born in 2006 playing Galaga and Defender, and it was a big hit with his friends.  He was really proud of building it, too.

Of course he and his friends tore it up and we ended up scavenging it for parts in about 2 years, but it was a great present.

My daughter really wants one of those.  Was yours a full size, or maybe 3/4 size, so it looked like one of the actual arcade versions?

9 minutes ago, ZB'Tejas said:

What size bike? My girl is turning 5 and her bike looks a bit small but I think she can still barely touch the ground with her toe so maybe it's ok for another year.

Dunno yet.  Gonna wait it out for another 6 weeks or so, buy it on sale, and build it myself.  The tricky part is she may be in another spurt, but it's too soon to tell.  She's about average size for her age, maybe just a hint above.  Nothing crazy tall, but she has very long legs and short torso like her 5'9" mommy (no pics).  So I gotta mix and match the right frame with the right adjustable seat.  The real problem too is how she sits over the handlebars with equally long arms.  It's tough, maybe a 20" wheel size with 24" inseam I'm thinking.  I don't really wanna worry her mom and spend an hour at Bicycle Sport Shop with her sitting on myriad frames and sizes during Covid.  Her arms and legs are long but torso and the way she'll tilt over the handlebars are all differentiating factors.  We'll see.  Happy to get any tips from y'all...have just been trading up from little play bike to balance bike to a 16" to an 18" hand-me-downs.  But she deserves a proper new bike based on her growing frame.  We're not big gift buyers/consumers...but can't wait to get this and build it for her.  

On 10/23/2020 at 3:54 PM, Goofyboy said:

My sons friend plays Roblox with him and a buddy. She holds her own with them. My buddy’s daughter plays Roblox and Minecraft.

I first read this as “plays Roflbox” and was thinking what do they put on cowboy hats and fake mustaches and crawl around on the roof?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

My daughter really wants one of those.  Was yours a full size, or maybe 3/4 size, so it looked like one of the actual arcade versions?

Full-size.  We bought the joysticks, buttons decals and boards as a kit online.  Was 3/4 of the total expense.

It's really easy.  Especially the "programming" part.  Just downloading stuff to an SD card.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

AML3171_01.jpg

I broke my arm the exact same way when I was 15 in a Honda Odyssey. My mom made my dad sell them after that. We had a few good years on them before that though. Still probably our best Xmas gifts ever. 

628EF934-171E-49C8-9A56-C50A82B3D1D1.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/26/2020 at 1:44 PM, Liquor and Poker said:

Full-size.  We bought the joysticks, buttons decals and boards as a kit online.  Was 3/4 of the total expense.

It's really easy.  Especially the "programming" part.  Just downloading stuff to an SD card.

I'm now in a rabbit hole of looking at different options and custom builds for this. Kind of want for myself.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

I broke my arm the exact same way when I was 15 in a Honda Odyssey. My mom made my dad sell them after that. We had a few good years on them before that though. Still probably our best Xmas gifts ever. 

628EF934-171E-49C8-9A56-C50A82B3D1D1.jpeg

My best friend had one of these, lucky we didn't kill ourselves BEFORE we got dirt bikes.  I racked my nuts so bad on that thing trying to jump a couple of hay bales with a ramp, I could barely walk for 2 days.

spacer.png

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, DonkeyCigars said:

This year is going to be a slimmed down Christmas. We sat the kids down and explained and they took it well. 

That said, I don't want to kill their spirit and joy and make them feel like bums-- so I'm kinda torn on what to get and do. They pretty much have everything anyways.

They're never too young to learn how to burn it down...

HW2722_FF.jpg

15 hours ago, DallasHorn26 said:

I'm now in a rabbit hole of looking at different options and custom builds for this. Kind of want for myself.  

No reason not to if you have the room.  It’s relatively cheap, easy, and if you don’t let kids near it it will probably last forever.  All the kits I saw were MDF or particle overlayed with vinyl decals. So the real enemies are liquid inside the structure and impacts. A few dozen spilled kool-aids and a “how far can I throw you?” contest made ours look pretty vintage. Add in my son’s need to see how well the decals stick, and it was pretty much a pile of sawdust and parts. But all the parts still worked. 

11 hours ago, DonkeyCigars said:

This year is going to be a slimmed down Christmas. We sat the kids down and explained and they took it well. 

That said, I don't want to kill their spirit and joy and make them feel like bums-- so I'm kinda torn on what to get and do. They pretty much have everything anyways.

Can you take them someplace?  Especially if you live someplace it doesn’t snow. My parents had a lean year and took me to Red Rivet Canyon to have a “White Christmas” and it was great.  Cost them the gasoline. 

• Hook 'Em 2