The Robert Mueller Investigation

Hugo Stiglitz

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

All.  The Fucking.  Way.

When y'all realize that the occupant of the WH isn't just a random nutbar, but an actual enemy of the Republic who will happily destroy it, then you can see this picture in clear focus.

Well, to push the metaphor, he may end up like Pompey who claimed he could stamp his foot and a massive Roman army would rise to support against Caesar. Pompey stamped his foot. Nobody showed. He had to clear out of Rome and hide in Greece.

Trump's circle of friends is constricting around his neck.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

All.  The Fucking.  Way.

When y'all realize that the occupant of the WH isn't just a random nutbar, but an actual enemy of the Republic who will happily destroy it, then you can see this picture in clear focus.

If we get through this weekend with nobody being fired, then Trump is not going do it.  Between Trump Org's CFO and the National Enquirer folks - that's about as bad a situation as Trump could be in, short of it coming out that Don Jr. got immunity.

If Trump had the balls, he would have been firing people like Sessions long before now.  Instead, he tweets angrily and then tucks his penis and balls away before he walks into a room with Sessions.

I feel like a kook saying out loud that Trump is an unregistered foreign agent who built his empire on laundered Russian money, but it’s getting harder to conclude otherwise.

Kinda like that Trump juror in the Manafort case.  I really want him to be innocent but damn, just so much observable evidence. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

My question is, even if Weisselberg (sp?) corroborates Cohen, shit still ain't gonna happen in congress, so when do we start making Russian connections?  I fully expect Congress to do nothing until they actually start getting outed.

It's going to require more Republicans finding themselves in danger of losing their reelection bids.

Ultimately, that's what they understand the most, and that's what the lobbyists understand.

Evidence of coordination between Russia via the election data hacking aspect of this and Trump campaign would certainly be an escalation.  We haven't heard much about the arrested Russian hackers extradited to the US until this today from Bloomberg:

Jailed Russian of Interest in U.S. Election Probe, Official Says

"A Russian charged with hacking LinkedIn is of great interest in a U.S. probe of election meddling, according to a Justice Department official, even as his own lawyers complain he hasn’t cooperated with them since landing in a California jail in March.

The mystery around Yevgeniy Nikulin deepened Friday when a federal judge asked why his lawyers, who want him evaluated for possible mental illness, chose a San Francisco psychiatrist with a troubled past at California’s medical board.

And Nikulin’s defense team -- led by a New York-based attorney seasoned in representing Russians and Eastern Europeans charged with serious crimes in the U.S. -- say Russian officials have shown unusually strong interest in his case, arranging at least once to visit him in jail when the attorneys weren’t present.

The lead attorney, Arkady Bukh, said he remains concerned, maybe ”paranoid,” over Nikulin’s safety after a former Russian spy and his daughter were poisoned earlier this year in England with a nerve agent.

“They are very active, by far more active than any other case," Bukh said of Russian embassy officials. “Now it’s less frequent, but earlier in the case they were calling almost every day. I have no duties to them. They’re not my client."

[...]

Prosecutors are as eager to find out what, if anything, Nikulin knows about election meddling as they are to get to the bottom of the LinkedIn and Dropbox hacks, said the U.S. Justice Department official, who declined to be identified without authorization to discuss the case.

Federal marshals said that when Nikulin first arrived in San Francisco he physically confronted guards and tried to escape from custody -- and he was shackled for his next court appearance.

Ever since, his attorneys have said, he’s been unwilling to work with them. Valery Nechay, a lawyer helping Bukh, said Nikulin often “just stares off blankly or starts laughing at very serious moments.”

The lawyers won court approval this month, with no objections from prosecutors, for a psychological evaluation of Nikulin to determine whether he’s mentally incompetent to assist in his own defense.

But two days after the defense lawyers submitted the name of their chosen psychiatrist, Alexander Grinberg, U.S. District Judge William Alsup ordered Bukh and prosecutors to provide him with more information on Grinberg’s “probationary status with the California Medical Board arising out of complaints of unprofessional conduct and gross negligence.” The judge set an Aug. 27 deadline for both sides to comment.”

Weird, huh.  I wonder if he's malingering mental illness.  

Back in April, cyberscoop reported (no idea about the credibility) that Nikulin was considering a plea deal:

The legal team for Yevgeniy Nikulin, the Russian hacker accused of stealing data from LinkedIn and other American tech firms, will explore a plea deal with the U.S. government, according to Nikulin’s lawyer, Arkady Bukh.

“The likelihood of a trial is not very high,” Bukh said. The U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California, where Nikulin’s trial would occur, “has over a 99 percent conviction rate. We are not throwing clients under the bus,” Bukh said.

Nikulin was extradited to the United States in March after a lengthy legal battle in the Czech Republic where he was first arrested in 2016. He pleaded not guilty to the charges in his first hearing in the San Francisco-based court.

Nikulin is charged with breaches at LinkedIn, Dropbox and Formspring. He faces three counts of computer intrusion, two counts of intentional transmission of information, code, or command causing damage to a protected computer; two counts of aggravated identity theft; trafficking in unauthorized access devices and conspiracy.

“We’ve been actively monitoring the FBI’s case to pursue those responsible for the 2012 breach of LinkedIn member data,” said a LinkedIn spokesperson. “We are glad to see this progress and appreciate the hard work of law enforcement to resolve this investigation.”

Nikulin appeared in court earlier this month in shackles because he attempted to escape imprisonment and had multiple physical confrontations with U.S. Marshals, according to federal officials. Nikulin’s court-appointed public defender asked to have the shackles removed, but at this point no one expects that to happen soon. He remains uncooperative with guards and corrections officials, according to a source with knowledge of the situation.

Nikulin’s legal team wants to transfer him from the Alameda County Jail to a federal jail in hopes of improving conditions.

While in the Czech Republic, Nikulin said he was pressed for a false confession on interfering in the 2016 US election. American officials declined to comment on the issue.

Bukh was first contacted by the Russian consulate and asked to help on the case. He  was approved on Wednesday to act as a lawyer for Nikulin by the court. Although Bukh has been in regular and sustained contact with both Nikulin’s family and the Russian consulate, he had yet to speak with his client as of Wednesday night.

The Russian consulate has expressed concerns about Nikulin’s mental condition, and Bukh said he “appears to be depressed.”

Here’s video of Nikulin’s arrest as released by Czech police:

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Y’all know it still doesn’t matter, right?

Logically, it’s obvious that you are right. I guess that the hope is that the optics will become a problem.

i am mostly on your ledge, but whatever this is is accelerating, so there’s that.

21 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

4 minutes ago, VRHorn said:

Logically, it’s obvious that you are right. I guess that the hope is that the optics will become a problem.

i am mostly on your ledge, but whatever this is is accelerating, so there’s that.

I love Brisket like a brother but his pessimism outstrips even mine, and few can say that in my experience. I am so happy, and he is too, that Roy Moore lost, in spite of his implacable conviction than he would prevail. And I truly believe that the Republic will survive Trumpism. He has logical reasons to support his position, and I think ridding ourselves of this virus will take radical solutions, but the difference is I believe we can do it, while he believes now that we cannot. 

@Brisketexan AMDG not trying to misstate your position; correct me if I am wrong on that. And I'm not trying to say that every little thing gonna be alright after this. But we will get through this to some fresh hell we can't even conceive of now.

Cheer up! It always gets worse.

(Take that @Brisketexan: now who's the most hopeless Surly poster?)

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Y’all know it still doesn’t matter, right?

It matters.  I’ve kept the faith.  The shitstorm is coming.  I’m smiling as I pour another glass of balvenie triple cask.  Chill, brother Brisket.  

America is about to land a roundhouse right on that fat fucking face.  It’s going to be glorious. 

• Like 5

I love Brisket like a brother but his pessimism outstrips even mine, and few can say that in my experience. I am so happy, and he is too, that Roy Moore lost, in spite of his implacable conviction than he would prevail. And I truly believe that the Republic will survive Trumpism. He has logical reasons to support his position, and I think ridding ourselves of this virus will take radical solutions, but the difference is I believe we can do it, while he believes now that we cannot. 
[mention=593]Brisketexan[/mention] AMDG not trying to misstate your position; correct me if I am wrong on that. And I'm not trying to say that every little thing gonna be alright after this. But we will get through this to some fresh hell we can't even conceive of now.
Cheer up! It always gets worse.
(Take that [mention=593]Brisketexan[/mention]: now who's the most hopeless Surly poster?)

You are indeed a ray of sunshine.

And the problem is that the virus isn’t trump. Or trunpism. It’s the entire GOP. All of it. It’s a giant cancer-ridden tumor. I don’t think we can excise all of it.
It matters.  I’ve kept the faith.  The shitstorm is coming.  I’m smiling as I pour another glass of balvenie triple cask.  Chill, brother Brisket.  
America is about to land a roundhouse right on that fat fucking face.  It’s going to be glorious. 

It would be beyond glorious. I hope you’re right. In the meantime....scotch.

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

You are indeed a ray of sunshine.

And the problem is that the virus isn’t trump. Or trunpism. It’s the entire GOP. All of it. It’s a giant cancer-ridden tumor. I don’t think we can excise all of it.

It would be beyond glorious. I hope you’re right. In the meantime....scotch.

The root problem is corruption on all levels in our society.  

Moral corruption. Ideological corruption. Financial corruption. 

This is the reason we are where we are.

This is the reason the Kremlin operation is so successful.  They exploit our glaring weaknesses of greed and moral bankruptcy.

The only solution to corruption is to expose as much of it as possible, repeatedly.

And hold the most corrupt among us accountable.

It’s an uphill battle and it will get ugly before it gets better. But it will get better eventually.

It will get better because we will have no other choice when we hit rock fucking bottom.

Unfortunatley, we’re not near rock bottom yet.

Brisket’s fatalism isn’t misguided but I disagree with him that none of this news matters.  It does matter.  It’s gets us closer to the bottom and only then can we really move forward to fix our shit. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
  • Like 2

If Barrack Hussein Obama had not been elected to two terms, including one of those against a Vietnam War hero, I’d be worried. 

The GOP is going to have to change or die.  No amount of voter suppression can change the demographic outcome of places like Texas. 

All of the bullshit that Congress and the Trump administration is doing that is pissing us off all feels like a last gasp of a dying way of life.  They are trying to get their licks in while they are still on their feet.  

Its going to a rough few years, and the GOP has firmly decided that it doesn’t mind alienating young and future potential Republicans.

That last part speaks volumes about where we are at - the GOP is sacrificing its future for the here and now, and I don’t think they do that if they think they have a shot at power in the 3-4 cycles out.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

If Barrack Hussein Obama had not been elected to two terms, including one of those against a Vietnam War hero, I’d be worried. 

The GOP is going to have to change or die.  No amount of voter suppression can change the demographic outcome of places like Texas. 

All of the bullshit that Congress and the Trump administration is doing that is pissing us off all feels like a last gasp of a dying way of life.  They are trying to get their licks in while they are still on their feet.  

Its going to a rough few years, and the GOP has firmly decided that it doesn’t mind alienating young and future potential Republicans.

That last part speaks volumes about where we are at - the GOP is sacrificing its future for the here and now, and I don’t think they do that if they think they have a shot at power in the 3-4 cycles out.

The leaders of the GOP don’t really see themselves as part of a movement or a cause, they haven’t for a while. They are mercenaries hired by the highest bidder.  Unfortunately the highest bidder has been some of the worst people in the world lately.  The GOP leaders don’t give a shit about what happens to their party or the country as long as they get their cut and ride off into the sunset. 

There are a few exceptions of course.  John McCain was an exception but the days of political mavericks like him are over in the GOP. 

Trump (Putin) is the consequence of the rot and he will burn the GOP to the ground.  Which is a good thing. It needs to be ground into dust. However, whatever grows in its place could be something special.

But I fear it will only be another party of mercenaries hired by corporate thugs.  We’ll just have to hope it doesn’t.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The root problem is corruption on all levels in our society.  

Moral corruption. Ideological corruption. Financial corruption. 

This is the reason we are where we are.

This is the reason the Kremlin operation is so successful.  They exploit our glaring weaknesses of greed and moral bankruptcy.

The only solution to corruption is to expose as much of it as possible, repeatedly.

And hold the most corrupt among us accountable.

It’s an uphill battle and it will get ugly before it gets better. But it will get better eventually.

It will get better because we will have no other choice when we hit rock fucking bottom.

Unfortunatley, we’re not near rock bottom yet.

Brisket’s fatalism isn’t misguided but I disagree with him that none of this news matters.  It does matter.  It’s gets us closer to the bottom and only then can we really move forward to fix our shit. 

Waitaminute!  Both sides!  All sides!

I think you are thoroughly correct.  We need to check ourselves before we wreck ourselves, if we haven't already.

People have been and always will be screwy.  Even in the best of times, stable civilization has to endlessly maintain constraints for stabilty.  "Both sides" is not a rationale for acquiescence to law breaking.  It's a given that it exists and efforts to law breaking have to rise to the level.  What is happening now is a high water mark for public corruption and malfeasance.

I am fairly certain that in the very near future evidence will be presented that will indisputably render unsustainable the continued presence of the current WH administration and which will envelop some key Congressional GOP.  I think SCOTUS will necessarily be involved and whether or not a sitting POTUS can be indicted for conspiracy against the US will be brought to the fore.

6 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

It's far deeper than our political parties.  The stink of the GOP is just one manifestation. The rot effects the other institutions of our society as well.  Religious, educational, political, entertainment...name one aspect of our society that isn't a total shit show. We have a rot that is at our core as a society. But Russia!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

Thanks Baby Boomers for the new national motto!

This. Only generation alive that spit on its vets and  only generation ever that elected a narcissist buffoon to the highest office in the land so he could keep out the browns and give themselves a tax cut that their great grandchildren will have to pay for. 

I feel sorry for the good baby boomers, like Mueller and McCain for example, who have to deal with this shit. 

• Like 1