The Robert Mueller Investigation

Hugo Stiglitz

Buried in a late-night court filing in Robert Mueller’s expansive probe of Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election was an explosive claim: An adviser to President Donald Trump’s campaign and transition teams had knowingly been in contact with a former Russian intelligence officer as late as September 2016, prosecutors said. The revelation is the strongest connection to date between Trump’s campaign and Russia’s intelligence services, which U.S. officials say were behind the cyberattacks on Democrats during the election.

The adviser, Rick Gates, was a deputy to Trump’s campaign chairman Paul Manafort and stayed on as a liaison between Trump’s transition team and the Republican National Committee after the election, well after Manafort was forced to step down over his alleged ties to dirty Ukrainian money. Manafort and Gates’s arrival to the campaign team coincided with the most pivotal Russia-related episode of the election: the release of emails that had been stolen from the Democratic National Committee by hackers working for the GRU, Russia’s premier military-intelligence unit. The GRU remained at the center of the Russians’ interference campaign, using the Guccifer 2.0 persona, DCLeaks.com, and WikiLeaks to publish the hacked material in droves before the election. Gates and Manafort, meanwhile, remained in touch with the former GRU officer who the special counsel’s office believes was still connected to Russian intelligence services during the election—raising new questions about what the campaign officials knew about Russia’s hack-and-dump scheme.

The former GRU officer was identified in Mueller’s latest filing only as “Person A.” But the descriptions allude to Konstantin Kilimnik—a Russian-Ukrainian dual citizen who attended a Soviet military school and later joined the Russian Army as a translator. A former classmate of Kilimnik's told me that, between 1987 and 1992, Kilimnik attended the First Department of the Moscow Military Red-Banner Institute of the Ministry of Defense of the USSR, which "was the premier military education institution for training military linguists, information and psychological warfare experts, and military jurists.” Kilimnik graduated in June 1992 as a lieutenant, the former classmate said.  The Institute is now called The Military University of the Ministry of Defense of the Russian Federation.

Gates knew of Kilimnik’s background. He told Alex van der Zwaan—a lawyer he and Manafort worked with on a project to shore up support for Manafort’s client at the time, ousted Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovych—about the former intelligence officer’s past as a GRU officer, according to prosecutors. Gates was indicted last October on charges including money laundering and tax fraud, and is now cooperating with the special counsel.

Kilimnik left the army and eventually landed at the Moscow office of the International Republican Institute (IRI) in 1995, where he worked for over a decade. An IRI spokeswoman told me that “he was asked to leave because he violated IRI’s code of ethics,” and that, to her knowledge, “no one had any reason to believe that he was affiliated with Russian intelligence.” The spokeswoman would not elaborate on Kilimnik’s alleged ethics breach, but it may have had something to do with his overlapping work as a translator for Manafort in 2005. Kilimnik soon began working for Manafort’s firms full time. The lawyer at the center of Tuesday’s court filing, van der Zwaan, had “grown too close to Manafort,  Gates, and Person A,” prosecutors alleged.

Manafort, like Gates, was in touch with Kilimnik in 2016. As The Atlantic reported last year, emails Manafort turned over to investigators as part of their examination of Russia’s election interference included correspondence with Kilimnik about a Russian oligarch with whom Manafort hoped to curry favor—using his campaign role. Manafort and Kilimnik also had two in-person meetingsin May and August 2016.

The special counsel’s office appears to have referenced Kilimnik in court filings before Tuesday: Urging a judge to reject a proposed bail deal for Manafort in December, prosecutors noted that Manafort and his “longtime Russian colleague” who is “assessed to have ties to a Russian intelligence service” had been collaborating on an English-language op-ed aimed at portraying Manafort’s work in Ukraine in a positive light. But the special counsel’s office did not specify then, as it did on Tuesday, that this individual “had such ties in 2016”—seemingly drawing a straight line from the Trump campaign to Russia.

Legal experts and former federal prosecutors told me it was too difficult to say, at this point, why Mueller’s team had declined to identify Kilimnik by name. “There are many reasons why a prosecutor might not name a person uncharged in an indictment,” said Patrick Cotter, a former federal prosecutor and longtime white-collar defense attorney. “Indeed, DOJ standard policy holds that persons not charged should, presumptively, NOT be named in indictment, as a simple matter of fairness. Of course, there are sometimes reasons that rule is not followed.” Another possibility is that Kilimnik is already cooperating with prosecutors.

“It’s certainly possible that he’s a U.S. asset,” said Steve Vladeck, a law professor  at the University of Texas School of Law, where he specializes in national-security law. “It’s also possible that they’re still investigating his role, and don’t want to say any more than they have to so as to not provide too much information to him (or others who might be implicated).” Kilimnik “might be cooperating and an asset, or there might not be a possible allegation against him yet,” said former federal prosecutor and assistant U.S. attorney Jeff Cramer. “This could, however, change that dynamic.”

The special counsel’s office did not offer evidence that Kilimnik’s relationship with Russian military intelligence—which he denies having—persisted through 2016. Mark Galeotti, a senior researcher at the Institute of International Relations Prague who specializes in modern Russian politics and organized crime, told me that “just having a GRU background does not mean anything.” John Sipher, a retired CIA officer who ran the agency’s Russia operations, noted that, in Russia, someone’s past ties to the security services “certainly suggests that they can continue to be tasked and trusted”—and it is “a standard Russian line that there’s no such thing as a ‘former’ KGB officer. That said, there are a ton of people who worked for a short time for Russian military intelligence who have moved on to civilian lives.”

Steve Hall, who retired as CIA chief of Russia operations in 2015 after 30 years of managing and running intelligence operations, agreed that the “once a GRU officer, always a GRU officer” wisdom was “a bit exaggerated.” But, he said, “the ties are there.”

Hall noted that because informal relationships among power brokers in Russia are “much more important” than in the West, Kilimnik’s past work for military intelligence—even if wasn’t later formalized—is “notable.” It’s not surprising, moreover, that associates of Manafort would’ve had ties to Russian security services, Hall said. “Manafort would have at the very least been vetted by the Russians when he worked for [Viktor] Yanukovych in Ukraine.” Yanukovych, the pro-Russian former president of Ukraine whom Manafort advised for over a decade, was ousted in 2014 and fled to Russia amid mass popular protests over his refusal to sign an agreement that would’ve brought Ukraine closer to the West.

Kilimnik later acknowledged in an interview with Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty that he and Manafort emailed each other “about Trump and everything” during the campaign. “There were millions of emails,” Kilimnik told RFERL in a text message. “We worked for 11 years. And we discussed a lot of issues, from Putin to women.” Jason Maloni, a spokesman for Manafort, said last fall that Manafort had simply been trying to leverage his high-level role on the campaign to collect past debts. Kilimnik seemed to echo that statement, telling RFERL: “Our clients owe us money.”

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

I have to say that the kilimnik angle is one of my favorites.  It has all facets of this charade.  It is perfect for the media to continue to keep you guys stirred up.  They get to throw out half truths and out of context innuendo and it is happily gobbled up.

The accusations:

1) Gates and Manafort talked to/emailed a "russian with suspected ties to russian intelligence" in 2016.   

Shocking that they would communicate with someone that they have worked with for over 11 years and was actively trying to help them collect money from russians for work done years ago.  Especially since neither Gates nor Manafort speak russian and Kili is a russian linguist.  Very nefarious.

2) Kili is a russian agent.  Well as Madow/Hugo pointed out he did go to school for a while at a russian military school.  Of course neither points out that he was only 17 at the time and he left when he was 20 when the USSR collapsed.  He never worked for any govt agency.  

But lets assume this is the guy that will tie trump to russia and the grand conspiracy.  A guy that was planted with Manafort 11 years ago so that when trump ran for potus 10 years later they could get Manafort hired as campaign chairman and then, when Manafort left the campaign, the spy was able to continue his work through Gates (because of course gates and Manafort both were in on the conspiracy ((which makes perfect sense that Mueller let a confirmed conspiracy member off with little or no charges))) and use Gates to deliver the details of the conspiracy to trump.

And then, to continue the mastery of this spy plant, even though the russians/putin knew that they had their man Kili inside working trump, they decided to have Kisilyak try to get close to trump through sessions, and then to get flynn corrupted, and then went to Papa through a London professor to get close, and then used carter page to get the message to trump about the conspiracy, and then used the russian lawyer to get the details of the conspiracy to trump, and then used Kushner to get the details to trump and, simultaneously, set up a back channel for russia, and then set up a shadowy meeting in the Seychelles to get Eric Prince in on the conspiracy and the back channel.  Masterful work in deception.  And to top it all off, they kept trump under their thumb with the obvious blackmail stuff that the russian mob has on him.  They have been busy.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

that vid of two cigars with assholes attached to them belongs in Lulz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a friend who is connected to and talks to Roger Stone regularly.

He says he's a fucking hoot.  And I suspect that he is.  I imagine spending a weekend tearing shit up with Roger Stone would be one of the most fascinating and memorable experiences of your life.  I mean, sure, he's an evil narcissist.  But goddamn, I bet he's a fun one.

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

He says he's a fucking hoot.  And I suspect that he is.  I imagine spending a weekend tearing shit up with Roger Stone would be one of the most fascinating and memorable experiences of your life.  I mean, sure, he's an evil narcissist.  But goddamn, I bet he's a fun one.

I imagine it's like being on a bender with a right-wing Hunter S Thompson.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I imagine it's like being on a bender with a right-wing Hunter S Thompson.

That's what I'm saying, man.  Gimme a long weekend hanging out with him on NOLA....and we ALL sign NDAs so nobody says a WORD about what went down.

22 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

I mean, really? What the fuck 

20 minutes ago, retread said:

^ The president's been very clear about this, and I've answered this question many times. I suggest you consult with the State Dept to get any further details. Next question .... - SHS

And yeah, those two posts are about perfect.

There's nothing about this admin that isn't a lie, a sham, or just flat-out crooked.  

It's amazing how things reported by unhinged witches over a year ago keep bubbling up in MSM today.

VVV This has to do with reports of coordination between Kislyak and prominent GOP like Paul Ryan around accepting Russian campaign cash infusions.  It's also linked to rumors of an emerging RICO case against the GOP.  Everyone should know by now that the fact it's coming out now in MSM means Mueller has all they need to answer tat question in the affirmative.  I'd imagine Rick Gates is also offering a helping hand.

[tweet]979437216400371717[/tweet]

edit : dammit what's the new method for embed tweets here ?

Edited by triplehorn

i know a bunch of really good folks who are funny, crazy, grounded but aren’t asshole-narcissist.

i’ll take my chances with them.

life’s too short to spend even close to a full minute with the likes of Stone, Trump, etc.

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

If that means we are kicking out Russian diplomats 1-60 and replacing them with different Russian diplomats 61-120, I'm going to finally lose it.  Watch for me on News at 6.

That’s my impression, but I haven’t seen it confirmed elsewhere. This would make the shittiest spy novel. I mean no one would give such favorable treatment to Russia while under investigation for collusion with Russia and/or obstructing said investigation. It would be too stupid. 

Just now, Pig Bellmont said:

That’s my impression, but I haven’t seen it confirmed elsewhere. This would make the shittiest spy novel. I mean no one would give such favorable treatment to Russia while under investigation for collusion with Russia and/or obstructing said investigation. It would be too stupid. 

From Trump's perspective, I think he really is that stupid. From Putin's perspective, he probably believes he can bury this with three or four more news cycles. Which, thanks to 24 hour cable news, is only about half a day, give or take an hour.

4 minutes ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

i know a bunch of really good folks who are funny, crazy, grounded but aren’t asshole-narcissist.

i’ll take my chances with them.

life’s too short to spend even close to a full minute with the likes of Stone, Trump, etc.

It's the ungrounded and unpredictable that makes him fascinating.

Then again, I like playing with fire.

And sometimes, that means shit blows up in my face.

But MAN....does it make for a good story when it does.

1 minute ago, ndawg said:

From Trump's perspective, I think he really is that stupid. From Putin's perspective, he probably believes he can bury this with three or four more news cycles. Which, thanks to 24 hour cable news, is only about half a day, give or take an hour.

Or more likely he's Putin's hostage.

As far as letting Russians in the United States, it’s appears as an open door policy right now.  What difference does it make if they’re an “official diplomat” or your garden variety spy.  Trump’s properties in Florida are filled with Russians.

Shit, just recently there was an undisclosed intelligence summit in D.C. with the heads of the FSB, GRU, and SVR.

And SVR guy is BANNED from entering the United States from the 2014 Ukraine Sanctions.

Not only did he get in, he got to meet with Pompeo and other top U.S. officials.

And not a single fuck was given that day.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/world/national-security/russian-spy-chiefs-met-in-washington-with-cia-director-to-discuss-counterterrorism/2018/01/31/0b761976-068b-11e8-94e8-e8b8600ade23_story.html

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

4 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

As far as letting Russians in the United States, it’s appears as an open door policy right now.  What difference does it make if they’re an “official diplomat” or your garden variety spy.  Trump’s properties in Florida are filled with Russians.

Shit, just recently there was an undisclosed intelligence summit in D.C. with the heads of the FSB, GRU, and SVR.

And SVR guy is BANNED from entering the United States from the 2014 Ukraine Sanctions.

Not only did he get in, he got to meet with Pompeo and other top U.S. officials.

Russians coming in left and right, you say?  Should we....строить стену?

4 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/world/national-security/russian-spy-chiefs-met-in-washington-with-cia-director-to-discuss-counterterrorism/2018/01/31/0b761976-068b-11e8-94e8-e8b8600ade23_story.html

Are there any international initiatives that you feel it would be appropriate to work with the Russians on when we have aligned interests?

2 hours ago, Blotto said:

Well if Sheeeit assures me that Kilimnik is not a spy or otherwise connected to Putin, I have to assume that is the case. He probably even checked Kili's LinkedIn page and everything. 

Lulz.  Never said he was not a spy.  How would I know for sure.  I am saying the whole story revolving around Kili is specious to the point of being ridiculous.  I am saying the supposed "evidence" behind him being a spy is so thin it is ridiculous.

Media- BREAKING!!!! Gates had contact with Russian spy in 2016.  Surly (I like the new name) usuals go nuts.  Well Gates and Manafort had been in contact/communications with this supposed spy for the past 11 years and were actively working with him to clean up past projects.  Gates and Manafort did not hide their contact with this guy in any way.  Mueller has had emails and correspondence (and so has the SIC and HIC) between them for many months.  The guy was on Manafort's payroll.  There is absolutely no "gotcha" here.  Of course they communicated with this guy.

Also, the case for him being a spy is because he was enrolled in a military type school in Russia for a few years in his late teens.  Never had a job with the russian govt.  By that definition every single attendee of WestPoint, the Naval Academy, AirForce Academy  etc are all spies until proven otherwise.  That would mean we have put out some 30,000+ spies in the time Kili went to school.  So every single one of those guys that had any business dealing with any foreign country in the last 11 years could be called a spy by that foreign country's media and the usual suspects would believe it unquestionably.  How can you guys not see the ludicrousness of this?

The media is running out of trump conspiracy stories.  They are just putting amy thing they can out there now hoping people will keep listening to them.  When this fiasco is finally over, no one will watch msnbc anymore or follow the random tweets of 100s of crazies.  The crazies will not get the clicks and retweets anymore and will get no income from it and will go back to doing whatever they did pre trump.  

And for the 1000th time, I think trump is a blowhard, thin skinned, reprehensible person.  But the dems ran Hillary and Trump won so we have to live with it unless Mueller has the goods on him.  I do not think he will but we will see.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Are there any international initiatives that you feel it would be appropriate to work with the Russians on when we have aligned interests?

Yeah sure, Climate Change and Middle East diplomacy for starters but there needs to be a common ground of trust to work from.  Can’t say the Kremlin has helped themselves in that department.

6 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I assume international terrorism would also be on that list. 

Seems like this is more of a cover to meet with Russians or talk to Putin.

because somehow that’s all the these fuckers talk about when they meet or talk on the phone, from the reports.

Also, international terrorism is a convenient topic because it will never go away.

oh wait, I forgot about the meetings concerning adoptions.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

11 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I wouldn't presume to speak for Hugo, but I'll just throw out "let's at least stop dropping to our knees and blowing them"???

11 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I wouldn't presume to speak for Hugo, but I'll just throw out "let's at least stop dropping to our knees and blowing them"???

Is having interactions at the highest levels of the intelligence apparatus to discuss counterterrorist efforts equivalent to taking a load on the face?

Edited by Anastasis

2 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Is having interactions at the highest levels of the intelligence apparatus to discuss counterterrorist efforts equivalent to taking a load on the face?

When a White House accused of collusion with the Russians brings in Russians that are banned from entering the United States, yeah I'd say we took multiple loads to the face.

• Like 1

It's the ungrounded and unpredictable that makes him fascinating.

Then again, I like playing with fire.

And sometimes, that means shit blows up in my face.

But MAN....does it make for a good story when it does.

the only one character of ill-repute i wanna hang with is Zamir Gotta...Bourdain’s buddy of “No Reservations” fame.

who i am convinced is going to show up somewhere in Mueller’s files.

so slightly off topic, but since the investigation is heating up (figure it'll be popping up in water cooler talk more often) and due to the fact I don't "hear" it that often because I don't have cable, do y'all say mUH-ler or myoo-ler like the old austin airport?  have i been mispronouncing our airport my whole life?

Know how I know you’re not from Austin?

Ya know, Trump might actually come through with one of his biggest campaign promises to drain the swamp. At this point, he’s almost like a Manchurian Candidate for doing just that. Insert a bunch of his own people as the drain plug, have them spread their corruption as far as possible, then pull the plug and see who gets pulled down with them. High level GOPers, some Dems... then maybe some politicians (dare I say it) on both sides will act like responsible representatives and begin working together for the betterment of our country. Wouldn’t that be swell? We could create a new award just for Trump...something like the Darwin Peace Prize.

^^^  I've been thinking that all along, except the scale is international.  I think Mueller knows what's possible here.  Patience is key.

In other news, another hacker getting extradited to the US from Europe.  Putin DOES NOT want him in our hands.  They ginned up their own piddly charges against him for a counter claim for extradition to RUS, fairly obviously to protect themselves as opposed to a wish to punish him.

Alleged Russian hacker extradited. Will he help Mueller probe?

WASHINGTON 

The Czech Republic’s long-sought decision to surrender custody to the FBI of an alleged Russian hacker signals a potential break in the investigation of Kremlin meddling in the 2016 U.S. elections.

The Justice Department announced Friday afternoon Yevgeniy Nikulin’s sudden appearance in a San Francisco federal courtroom after an 18-month legal tug-of-war with the Russian government, which made a competing claim to extradite Nikulin.

Nikulin, 30, was arrested in a Prague restaurant on Oct. 5, 2016 and three days later, then-President Barack Obama made his first accusation of Russian meddling in the U.S. election.

[...]

Russia and the United States both sought his extradition. Russia’s request sought to bring Nikulin back to that country to face minor internet theft charges that many observers felt were cobbled together in order to keep Nikulin from falling into American hands and divulging potentially embarrassing information about Kremlin intelligence operations. Radio Praha reported Friday that the Russian ambassador was not informed of Nikulin’s extradition and that the Czech court would explain the basis for its decision on April 3.

The world of cybercrime is a murky one, and experts have long contended that Russia’s FSB tolerates it because it is able, when needed, to call in chits and have criminal organizations do its bidding.

"The red flag for me is why the Russians fought so hard to keep him from being extradited," said Nick Akerman, a former Watergate prosecutor. "Why would they care about some low-level hacker?"

3 hours ago, triplehorn said:

^^^  I've been thinking that all along, except the scale is international.  I think Mueller knows what's possible here.  Patience is key.

In other news, another hacker getting extradited to the US from Europe.  Putin DOES NOT want him in our hands.  They ginned up their own piddly charges against him for a counter claim for extradition to RUS, fairly obviously to protect themselves as opposed to a wish to punish him.

Alleged Russian hacker extradited. Will he help Mueller probe?

I’m still waiting for someone to explain to me what inspired Paul Ryan to go to Prague to get this fuckface hacker extradited.

Any theories?

12 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I’m still waiting for someone to explain to me what inspired Paul Ryan to go to Prague to get this fuckface hacker extradited.

Any theories?

How about someone ask him ?  

The public shouldn't have to guess about his intents and motives behind something so significant.

55 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

How about someone ask him ?  

The public shouldn't have to guess about his intents and motives behind something so significant.

Paul Ryan will say he was doing his duty and serving the country which might be true but there has to be more to it than that because it’s so unRyan like.

Of course this is crackpot speculation but could Mueller be using Ryan as a cooperating witness/agent?  Like Mueller team reached out to Ryan and told him “this shit is baaad and wtf are you doing with Nunes running this memo shit? You know this shit hurts National Security.”

Ryan responds with, “What can I do to help?”

Mueller team:  “Go to Prague and get this Kremlin hacker douchebag extradited for us.”

Ryan: “Okay, I’m on it.”’

3 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Any theories?

Someone's got to give him the polonium-210 cocktail...that shit ain't gonna drink itself.

11 hours ago, SquishMitten said:

Know how I know you’re not from Austin?

Born and raised. Sacred heart, kealing, johnston. What you got?  Still don’t think we called it myooler but been drinking for Easter and been decades since I’ve seen a plane landing over 35 and taboo lingerie so my pronunciations may be a bit off... 

Born and raised. Sacred heart, kealing, johnston. What you got?  Still don’t think we called it myooler but been drinking for Easter and been decades since I’ve seen a plane landing over 35 and taboo lingerie so my pronunciations may be a bit off... 

It’s Tabu lingerie, you fucking lying imposter!
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, achooloco said:

I was the pilot for the space shuttle simulation.  I actually crashed the thing, but rebooted before anybody noticed. Perfect landing!

About 3 weeks ago Sam was professing his love for his life mentor and father figure, Roger Stone.  His only concern about any of the investigation was to protect Roger.  What a herd of stable and healthy folks.  These are the people who make Stephen Miller look sturdy and dependable.  What a fucking clown college.  

“Clown college...you can’t eat that!”

Seton. Porter. Crockett. And I know how the airport name was pronounced. So I got that going for me. You’re forgiven for your transgressions. All the foreigners pronouncing it wrong forever has a funny way of changing prior truths. I gave up the fight years ago.