RIP Jerry Jeff

GRHorn

he was going to play Gruene in March.  then it got rescheduled for June(before Covid really hit) then it got cancelled like 2 weeks after they rescheduled  I had bought tickets when they rescheduled.  I thought it might be Covid but it was strange they cancelled it mid  Feb  only 2 weeks after rescheduling.

9 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

he was going to play Gruene in March.  then it got rescheduled for June(before Covid really hit) then it got cancelled like 2 weeks after they rescheduled  I had bought tickets when they rescheduled.  I thought it might be Covid but it was strange they cancelled it mid  Feb  only 2 weeks after rescheduling.

Loved seeing him at Gruene.  Perfect venue for him.  RIP.

Man Todd's been through some shit over the last year.  His dog, Cowboy Jim, Neal Casal his guitar player, his mentors, heroes and best friends Prine and JJW all dead.  He looked pretty defeated at the end of the tribute.

Thought it was cool Elizabeth Cook was with him.

• Hook 'Em 2

I am gutted. I was gone all weekend, sat down for dinner and my wife broke the news to me. I had to go google it outside and then it was super dusty or something. Fuuuuck he was in mine and my late father's top 3. I feel like I lost both (again). Baaahhh on to listen to his entire catalog. Fuck 2020.

Edited by HOOKEM4
fuck ou

10 hours ago, CHIEF said:

Yep. I was still living in Austin, CHIEF Jr. was a tike, and my folks came down to see him for the weekend. The Barnett Shale had been hot for about a year, and my Dad had been leasing a bunch of places and flipping them to Chesapeake. He had quite a wad of cash but didn't want to put it in the stock market. I suggested for him to buy some vintage guitars so he could enjoy them as they appreciate. So we headed to South Austin to hit up HOT Music and the vintage guitar place. Dad had always wanted a Brazilian Rosewood, Ray didn't have one but he had a custom shop blonde J-45 in Indian Rosewood, with gold hardware, it is an absolute beauty. The action was a little high, so he left it there to be set up and we walked to the vintage guitar place. Dad told the guy behind the counter he was looking for a Brazilian Rosewood, the guy was like "isn't everyone" and that was about as far as the conversation went.

While we were there killing time, the guy at the counter said to let him make a call, he knew where a BR guitar was, and he would make a call to see if the owner wanted to sell it. Said it wouldn't be cheap, Dad said he didn't care, call him. After about 30 minutes, in walks JJW with a case. Of course, I said "holy shit, that's JJW." my Dad just looked at me and said "who?" I rattled off about a half dozen of his songs, of course Dad didn't even know who he was. Well, he opened up that case, and there it was, Sunburst solid Brazilian Rosewood custom shop J-45. JJW looked at Dad and said he would take $4800 for it, Dad gave him 48 one hundred dollar bills.

So we head back over to HOT Music, and Dad tells Ray he had bought another guitar as well. Opened up the case and Ray immediately said, you bought that from JJW, and was pretty miffed he didn't get the chance to buy it first. He offered Dad $8k for it on the spot. I just smiled at Dad and said, looks like it appreciated almost 50% in 45 minutes. After that Dad was hooked, he bought and sold quite a few guitars over the next few years, but we kept those two J-45s, and a solid BR Yari Alvarez.

CHIEF 

thank you sir :)

brazilian rosewood (exportation banned since the '90s, classic wood for guitar construction) sunburst j-45 with mother of pearl vine inlays all over the neck, if I'm remembering correctly. Like 6 years ago we were hanging out in the guitar pron thread talking about our Fenders and shit and then CHIEF comes in and drops that story and that guitar. 

also i think part of the story was that you tried to get him to sign a piece of paper saying it was his and he was like "nah".

Edited by Celery Man

13 hours ago, Celery Man said:

thank you sir :)

brazilian rosewood (exportation banned since the '90s, classic wood for guitar construction) sunburst j-45 with mother of pearl vine inlays all over the neck, if I'm remembering correctly. Like 6 years ago we were hanging out in the guitar pron thread talking about our Fenders and shit and then CHIEF comes in and drops that story and that guitar. 

also i think part of the story was that you tried to get him to sign a piece of paper saying it was his and he was like "nah".

Yeah, he was kind of dickish during the whole transaction, his name isn't even on the bill of sale.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1

"Mr. Blowjangles".  LMAO.

My only time to see JJW was at a big SXSW show at the Austin Music Hall, probably in the late 90's? not sure, time blurs.  I think Nick Lowe was the headliner.

Jerry Jeff came out and of course the music industry types couldn't be bothered to pay much attention.  I was enthralled, surrounded by dicks of both genders just chatting up their latest shoegazer or boy band signing.

Jerry Jeff seemed rightfully miffed, and at one point he said something like "I wrote this next song, and every one of you motherfuckers knows it by heart, and not hardly one of you knows I wrote it, so fuck you" and he broke into "Mr. Bojangles".

That crowd shut up pretty quick.

• Haha 2

Can't find the pictures anymore, it may have been on Shaggy:

JJWBRfront.jpg

JJWBRback.jpg

Dad gave it to CHIEF Jr. for his 12th birthday on the condition he had to learn to play it. I mean, where do you go from there? Like buying your 16 year old a Ferrari Enzo as his first car. We told him there was no way he was taking it to UTD with him, so Dad bought him a Martin. Spoiled as shit.

CHIEF

Edited by CHIEF
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
18 hours ago, DonkeyCigars said:

JJW's death reminded me of this video (and it's the season, after all). REK is only 65 years old, but he looks ancient and like he's the next to go eh?

I don't think that REK looks ancient for a 65 year old man. I mean, sure his hair is gray but that's normal.