RIP Jerry Jeff

GRHorn

Not sure which one of these will wind up the “official” Scamp Walker thread but ... goddammit.

JJW was the first “country” artist that I “got” and I was at UT when it happened. A HS friend used to babysit his kids for some odd reason that I can’t remember. This news fucking bums me out.

I’ve already run through “Viva Terlingua” and a few other single songs since I found out an hour or so ago. JJW, you will be missed.

“It’s the lovin’ makes the livin’ worthwhile.”

#fcancer #gonzo #loveJJ

Such a gut punch.  I listened to his music pretty much my entire life.  How could you not if you grew up in Texas?  One of the coolest things that I ever got to experience was cruising out to Luckenbach on a beautiful Sunday afternoon some time in the 90s, strolling up to the Post Office/Bar and buying a cold Lone Star from Marge(RIP), then turning around to the big oak tree and seeing Jerry Jeff just sitting there on a picnic table bench strumming his guitar and singing for about 15 people. That was back when they still had beer tabs all over the ground. What a moment. RIP Jerry Jeff Walker.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

That block of artists that came up in the 70s Austin will probably never be matched. They shaped a lot of what we see and listen to today. Jerry Jeff was a big part of that block. Thing is too, they all, for the most part, genuinely liked each other,  that's why them working together on songs was such a great success.  They built a wonderful genre. 

God bless Jerry Jeff

• Hook 'Em 5

I remember listening to Viva Terlingua in high school during the very early 80s.  The album / cassette / 8 track was already 9 years old by the time I graduated.   

Now VL is pushing 50 years and still seems timeless to me and very listenable.  
Couple VL with Mr. Bojangles and JJW had a pretty impressive life’s work.  

RIP, JJW.   Glad you got to Texas as fast as you could.  You’ll be missed. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I grew up with Viva Terlingua on 8 track being played on every family road trip.

Was ecstatic when I got to UT and found out other people did too, and went to see him every time possible, in any venue or festival in or around Austin in the mid 80’s

Didn’t realize he was “on the clock”. 2020 can continue to fuck itself into Bolivia

• Hook 'Em 2

That's a beautiful coincidence.  I'd like to think he's behind that sunrise with a half smile.  

I didn't get into his music until well into college.  He and I used to frequent the same neighborhood place for takeout for several years (about 2005-2015).  Didn't even recognize him the first few times.  He and I both had the same tendency to ask the kitchen to prolong our orders while we hoisted a few.  Only had a handful of conversations with him, and never about music.  What an incredibly nice and illuminated man he was.  /csb

RIP, JJW        shine on

Fucking sucks. Never got to see him.

I’ve always loved his cover of LA Freeway. Where theres a lot melancholy in Guy’s version, JJ’s has such a jangly swinging vibe that makes you feel how happy that person would be to get the fuck out of California. Like you’re riding East on I -10 in an old pickup with the windows down.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1