Crawfish

Etexhorn13

I’m always hesitant to order crawfish at a restaurant, as I would rather tailor it to my spice level (bitch boil escalating to hot as fuck by the last few batches), but sometimes it’s got to be done. So whatcha got? 

Edited by Etexhorn13

Good Ole Boys in Katy is not good, both times overcooked.

LA Crawfish in Upper Kirby is decent 

Rajin Cajun is consistently good for me

Crawfish & Noodles is above average but not worth of all the recent hype.

So many asian crawfish places on Bellaire in Chinatown

Ended up just going to cedar creek tonight as it was easy and they have the best deal I’ve seen ($5/lb). Had the crawfish and canyon creek and at both places it was pretty good. Definitely interested in trying some of the Asian crawfish joints around as well. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
On 1/19/2019 at 10:34 PM, SimonBolivar said:

Refrigeration makes oyster season year round now.

Pasteurization not refrigeration, somewhat makes oyster season year round. I won’t eat oysters on the half shell the hot months. Only cooked. 

Edited by TonyTexas

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
22 minutes ago, Etexhorn13 said:

Boil house has taken the lead in my book. Still haven’t had T Bones crawfish, but I will say that at boil house, that’s about as close to a home boil as I’ve been able to find. 

Boil House is good. I used to go there a lot when it was BYOB. But at $8/lb., and $3 beers, I expect more than counter service for a plastic bag of crawfish. Parking sucks as well. 

4 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Boil House is good. I used to go there a lot when it was BYOB. But at $8/lb., and $3 beers, I expect more than counter service for a plastic bag of crawfish. Parking sucks as well. 

That’s fair, it was expensive, and I’m happy to eat crawfish at canyon creek or barking pig or whatever because it’s less expensive, but I’ve found most places cater to the lowest common denominator when it comes to spice. Last time I was at the boot they said yeah just sprinkle some Tony’s or cayenne on it... it’s got to be boiled in to get you what you need. Parking seemed to be fine tonight - we just parked across the street and walked over and it was no biggie.  

• 10 months later...
On 3/17/2022 at 7:33 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Sam’s Boat. 

During Covid, I went to a few places that were take out only near my house. 5 pounds will stay pretty hot in a Yeti for 10-15 minutes. Lay newspaper down on your back porch, and enjoy. 

Posted elsewhere, but went to Sam's Boat a week ago Sunday for the first time in decades.  Their bugs were outstanding.  Price was very reasonable also.

• Hook 'Em 1

Uhmmmm.  I’m no marine biologist, but I’ve eaten a few bugs over the last fifty years. 

By May, they’ve pretty much quit molting so the shells just get thicker and thicker. They’re easier to peel earlier in the season, so you’re waiting out the good times.

(Edited to Add: I like BB’s fine. Bayou City has been our favorites the last few years, but I haven’t had any this year at all.)

Edited by DoobieWah

22 minutes ago, DoobieWah said:

Uhmmmm.  I’m no marine biologist, but I’ve eaten a few bugs over the last fifty years. 

By May, they’ve pretty much quit molting so the shells just get thicker and thicker. They’re easier to peel earlier in the season, so you’re waiting out the good times.

(Edited to Add: I like BB’s fine. Bayou City has been our favorites the last few years, but I haven’t had any this year at all.)

The Cajuns swear up and down that early May is the sweet spot. Don’t wait past Memorial Day. 

I don’t have any crawfish boils on my social schedule until first week of May. 

People eating tiny crawfish in February aren’t real bright. 

20 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

People eating tiny crawfish in February aren’t real bright. 

C’mon. 

Your complaint wasn’t size but difficulty in peeling. They’re easier to peel earlier in the season. 

You don’t have to believe me, all same same to me. 

1 hour ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

Buddy and I are looking to do a boil for our first time next weekend.  Where should we procure a sack(s)?

He's on the NW side of Houston, so closer is preferred, but we'll go where we need to.

Going to have 10 adults, half women.  Is 1 sack enough?

Any tips for first timers?  Purge?

I’ve always had a good luck at L&L Seafood at N Mt. Houston and I45. Call and reserve. Ask them what grades they have. Get select or better. 
Your crowd is right on the boundary between 1 and 2 sacks. If you’re going through the trouble, more is always better. 
You don’t have to purge. Just clean them well. Dump  them in a big cooler and run water over them until it runs clear. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...