brunch

Jack Straw

i was going to post a couple recs in response to a poster looking for some weekend brunch options in austin a few weeks ago, but he had his place picked out before i was able to get to my computer - so i decided start this thread.

i had always been a breakfast taco on the weekends person, so brunch wasn't really on my radar much - but my GF got me to branch out and a couple of discoveries have brought them into the regular rotation for us 

my faves:

Spread & Co. - on Kerbey Lane a few doors down from Kerbey Lane Cafe, in the spot where the old Baby Louie's was (IIRC)

they smoke their own fish for the fish spread, have house made sausage, mustard and pickles, and the home made hot sauce is probably the best I've had anywhere.  not sure if they bake all their own bread but i suspect they do.  they also have a nice cheese and charcuterie case up front for take home.

spacer.png

roti* plate plate with eggs, avocado, creme fresh, capers and onions (and the homemade hot sauce).  added a side of the smoked fish spread (not pictured here). 

*what is a roti?  ITS A GIGANTIC HASH BROWN AS BIG AS A DINNER PLATE

spacer.png

FC and biscuits with hot honey - special of the day a couple weeks ago

spacer.png

breakfast sandwich - eggs and homemade sausage and cheese on a pretzel bun.  added the hot sauce.

also really like hopfield's and epicurie's brunch, although i think the latter is take out only now.  

really like savory items much more than sweet when it comes to breakfast/brunch so that usually drives our choices of places.  what else you got?

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/20/2023 at 9:12 PM, LCHorn said:

I’d like sour duck a lot more if they weren’t out of most of their pastries by 11 am on normal weekend.  It’s like they only pretend to be a bakery.  

And it's not like they open at 7am. They open at 10am. It's bizarre. 

• 5 months later...