2022 Senate Elections

Ghost of LL

33 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

Depends on your definition of "crash & burn."

Interesting that we don’t hear about a the breakdown of the family and personal responsibility when it comes to fentanyl. It’s a public health crisis, and there’s lots of blame to go around. 

Not that I disagree with the take of addiction as a health not crime issue….but I can’t put my finger on why this is different for the GOP…..

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Bullneck said:

Depends on your definition of "crash & burn."

Every accusation is a confession.  They absolutely were on board when dotard was actively punishing California and other blue states by withholding disaster aid, so of course, they can't fathom that another president wouldn't act the same way. 

That's one of the saddest things to me.  They are piece of shit human beings that can't imagine that not all people are piece of shit human beings.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

I thought that name sounded familiar...

During Operation Gothic Serpent in Somalia, Durant was the pilot of helicopter "Super Six Four". His was the second MH-60L of two Black Hawk helicopters to crash during the Battle of Mogadishu on October 3, 1993. After his helicopter was hit on the tail by a RPG-7, it crashed about a mile southwest of the operation's target.[8]

Durant and his crew of three, Bill Cleveland, Ray Frank, and Tommy Field, were badly injured in the crash. Durant suffered a crushed vertebra in his back and a compound fracture of his left femur.[9] Two Delta Force snipers, MSG Gary Gordon and SFC Randy Shughart, had been providing suppressive fire from the air at hostile Somalis who were converging on the crash site. Both volunteered for insertion onto the ground to protect the crew and join Durant in fighting off the advancing Somalis. The pair killed an estimated 25 Somalis before they ran out of ammunition. They were soon overwhelmed and killed, after Cleveland, Frank and Field had died. Both Gordon and Shughart received the Medal of Honor posthumously for their heroism in this action.[10]

The hostile Somalis captured Durant, the sole American survivor, and held him captive for 11 days. During much of his imprisonment, he was personally protected and cared for by Abdullahi "Firimbi" Hassan, a physician and propaganda minister to Somali General Mohamed Farrah Aidid, though he was shot in his arm by an intruding militia member. Aidid then released Durant and a Nigerian soldier who had been captured previously into the custody of the International Committee of the Red Cross.[9]

After being freed, and recovering at Landstuhl Regional Medical Center (LRMC) in Germany, Durant resumed flying with the 160th SOAR. He retired from the Army in 2001 with more than 3,700 flight hours, over 1,400 of which were flown with night vision goggles.[11]

Durant's military service awards include the Distinguished Service Medal, Distinguished Flying Cross with Oak Leaf Cluster, Bronze Star with Valor Device, Purple Heart, Meritorious Service Medal, three Air Medals and the Prisoner of War Medal, among others.[12]

I'll be in front of Senators Warnock, Osoff, and Tillis this week.  Anyone have any specific, non insulting, questions I should ask?  All 3 are in office due to unforeseen circumstances, in my opinion.  Neither of Osoff or Warnock would've won had Trump accepted defeat like a normal President and Tillis would not have won had Cunningham kept his dick in his pants.

On 5/2/2022 at 2:37 PM, babysdaddy said:

I'll be in front of Senators Warnock, Osoff, and Tillis this week.  Anyone have any specific, non insulting, questions I should ask?  All 3 are in office due to unforeseen circumstances, in my opinion.  Neither of Osoff or Warnock would've won had Trump accepted defeat like a normal President and Tillis would not have won had Cunningham kept his dick in his pants.

Umm "Do you like websites?"

Hillary Clinton Email GIF by Election 2016

• Haha 2

On 5/2/2022 at 12:28 PM, Gil Bang said:

The "Alabama Rino Pac" has been stuffing our mailbox with various anti-Durant glossy cardstock flyers. Some printer is making bank.

They haven't gotten around to the father-sister thing (though it is talk radio fodder), that's probably next week. Last week was Durant's puppet strings being pulled by Hillary, Biden, and Schumer.

This week has Durant on skis and the outraged declaration that Durant "isn't even FROM here!" as it supposedly quotes him saying he'd spend 6 months every year in his 25 million Colorado mansion.

I found this curious, and would like to discuss it with y'all as we relax on the verandah in this pleasant morning breeze. Refreshments should be out shortly.

First of all, this gaping assumption that Alabamians care where their henchmen come from. We do not care. We have never cared. See Saban, Namath, Ingram, et al. All that we desire is that they win.

Secondly, the act of visiting Colorado, even moving there, by Deep Souf standards, would never make him from there. If we are sticklers for where Mike Durant is from, it's New Hampshire, where he was born and grew up. Will more than two people vote for or against Durant based on some New Hampshire love/hate? Doubt it.

So the above made me think, at first, that the latest flyer was penned by a too-clever Damyankee. But as I absorb the flailing nature of the attack, I wonder if it wasn't puzzled together by some rootless from-nowhere screen-starer, say, an Atlantan.

Now, if you're still here, let's wonder who's behind Alabama Rino Pac. Angry Snow Monkey Mo Brooks, or Chirpy Possessed Church Lady Katie Britt? Mo banks on being the angriest and least Rino, and was born in South Carolina, so maybe why Durant's New Hampshire birth isn't a point of attack. Katie has that Shelby machine behind her, he used to cruise to victory with little opposition so while she is fingernails-on-chalkboard in her appearances, no idea how the machine would write attack ads.

tldr: I can't stand any of them, but the two worst ones hate the medium bad one.

• 2 weeks later...

So, Barnette is the most wacko GOP candidate and would presumably give the D’s a better shot in November? It seems Cillizza thinks so. It’s sure that’s what Bobert’s opponent, Taylor Greene’s opponent… Hillary thought. Ugh.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/16/politics/republicans-mcconnell-pennsylvania-senate-race/index.html

With just hours to go before the Pennsylvania primary, it’s clear that Kathy Barnette, a little known conservative, is a real threat to beat TV doctor Mehmet Oz and wealthy businessman David McCormick for the Republican nomination in a state seen as critical to the party’s majority hopes.

Barnette has not been vetted in anything close to the way Oz and McCormick have and, in truth, it may be too late to stop her momentum. In just the last few days, a series of Islamaphobic tweets from Barnette have come to light as have questions about her military service.

“It’s the job of the media to do the vetting,” Barnette told Steve Bannon on Monday. “And they’ve been derelict in their duty like they are derelict in so many other things. It’s not my job. It’s not my fault that they didn’t vet me.”

(In truth, if Barnette wins, the campaigns of Oz and McCormick will kick themselves for not seeing her as a threat early enough.)

• 2 weeks later...

So, Dr. Oz won the Penn primary, the Trump candidate.  Some fun Oz facts:

- Lost a push-up challenge to Mark Wahlberg

- Has idiosyncratic Sufi Islam/Swedeborgian/Transcendental meditation views

- Worth over $100 million 

- Played football at Harvard

I think what most befuddles me about Trumpism is how people are convinced this collection of quasi-entertainment industry, privileged weirdos are adopted by “Joe Six-Pack.” 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I think what most befuddles me about Trumpism is how people are convinced this collection of quasi-entertainment industry, privileged weirdos are adopted by “Joe Six-Pack.” 

Him being a Muslim would be a negative if he had a (D) next to his name.

Iowa could get interesting.  Grassley is what, 90?  

Mike Franken won the Dem primary last night.  Retired 3-star admiral from Sioux City.

Grassley has been catching shit in town halls.  Looks like Iowans realize that he's a senile old fuck, and they're starting to push back a bit.  It's a longshot, but I've got my fingers crossed. 

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Iowa could get interesting.  Grassley is what, 90?  

Mike Franken won the Dem primary last night.  Retired 3-star admiral from Sioux City.

Grassley has been catching shit in town halls.  Looks like Iowans realize that he's a senile old fuck, and they're starting to push back a bit.  It's a longshot, but I've got my fingers crossed. 

why on fucking earth would anyone at 90 want to keep doing this shit? My goal is to retire by 60 and travel and drink and fuck and smoke. why the shit would anyone want to keep working past 90?

• Drool 1

3 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

why on fucking earth would anyone at 90 want to keep doing this shit? My goal is to retire by 60 and travel and drink and fuck and smoke. why the shit would anyone want to keep working past 90?

Do you have any idea how much drinking, fucking, and smoking a Senator does? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

Thought process is to die in office and have Kim Reynolds the Governor appoint his grandson to the Senate seat.

Trump endorsed Mo Brooks opponent in the runoff Katie Britt, after originally saying she was unqualified. She's the Republicans "Business" candidate which most read as "serious" and not the side show social warrior come to be expected. Mo Brooks and Trump falling out continues

• "Donald Trump is the only man in American politics who could get conned by Mitch McConnell twice in an Alabama Senate race," he added. "Let’s just admit it: Trump endorses the wrong people sometimes. He endorsed Mitt Romney, he endorsed John McCain and now he’s endorsed Katie Britt, who his own son, Don Jr. called 'Alabama’s Liz Cheney.'"

https://www.axios.com/2022/06/11/brooks-trump-alabama-senate-britt-endorsement

The Herschel Walker stories this week have the optimistic side of me thinking this year could end up mirroring the 2022 midterms: Democrats get walloped in the House due to the general national political mood, but with Republicans putting up some truly garbage candidates (even by their standards) in many battleground states, Democrats could end up netting a Seante seat (PA, specifically, seems gettable with the GOP putting a hell of a one-two punch of atrociousness up for Senate/Governor) and holding some critical governorships.

But I know in my heart we're probably looking at 53-55 GOP Senators and a clean GOP sweep of governorships in AZ, MI, PA, and WI, thereby sealing the end of American democracy in 2024, because that's just how it works these days.

On 6/8/2022 at 12:36 PM, Gil Bang said:

Spoilered for longcat but the article is surprisingly thorough.  But I don't think "let's move on" is a proper conclusion to a wanna be congressman hitting someone.  

Spoiler

060722_jackson_shirt.jpg

OPINION

Commentary

Shearer: GOP Senate candidate Blake Masters roughs up 73-year-old Dem. protester in Green Valley

GV resident wears 'Black Lives Matter' shirt, 'Jail Trump' hat to Republican mixer, ends up punched & pushed, then cited by deputies

Posted Jun 7, 2022, 9:05 pm

Dan ShearerGreen Valley News

Peter Jackson expected to ruffle some feathers when he showed up at a Republican event in Green Valley on Saturday wearing a "Jail Trump" hat and a "Black Lives Matter" t-shirt. What he didn't expect was to be on the receiving end of a right hook by an upset woman, knocked to the ground by a U.S. Senate candidate, and tossed into the breezeway, where he laid on the sidewalk injured until deputies arrived.

He also didn't expect to be the only one cited in the fracas — for trespassing and simple assault.

How is it all going to play out? Well, there's plenty of video and witnesses, a Pima County sheriff's report and a court date. But we know where this is headed — how you see it will depend almost entirely on your politics.

Peter Jackson is 73, a fierce Democrat, and if piles of letters to local newspapers are any indication, he isn't reluctant to share what's on his mind.

After I heard about Saturday's dust-up, I went to his home in Green Valley and knocked on the door fully expecting to be told to take a hike. But he let me in and was more than happy to talk, share his videos and — eventually — trust that I'd be accurate if I ended up writing about it.

Jackson isn't hard to figure out. He relished the Obama years, suffered through Trump's one term in office and practically swoons at the idea of a Bernie Sanders presidency. He has never been politically involved, he says; 38 years living in liberal Hawaii meant it wasn't really necessary.

He saw an opportunity in Green Valley on Saturday night when he heard that more than 20 GOP candidates had signed up for a meet-and-greet kegger at Continental Shopping Plaza. It was sponsored by United Republicans of Green Valley and Sahuarita and held in the shopping center's conference room.

Jackson doesn't see the Green Valley group as typical Republicans, insisting they and their national counterparts are dragging the country back to 1930s Germany.

It doesn't occur to Jackson that a lot of people see him as fringe, too, although I pointed it out more than once.

He said the goal when he walked into the packed room was to bring a bit of sanity to the right wing. Given that the public was invited, he thought it perfectly fine to show up.

"I went in hoping to be allowed to witness the event and listen to the candidates and possibly share the video I was obviously taking," he said. "Post-event, I would like people to see that they're not rational people. They're really violent people. They're people Americans should be concerned about."

That wasn't the only hyperbole from Jackson, but we'll get back to that later.

What happened?

Jackson had his tiny Go Pro camera rolling when he entered the second-floor conference room.

He was greeted with all the enthusiasm of a hot dog vendor at a vegetarian gathering.

Jackson acknowledged it was probably startling to see a guy show up wearing an N-95 mask, aviator sunglasses and a "Fully vaxxed" button. Not to mention that t-shirt, which in its entirety read: "Black Lives Matter More Than White Feelings; Check Your Privilege."

"I didn't want to get into a hassle," he told me. "If I am approached with reason, I would listen. But they were just telling me to get out."

According to his own video, that's not quite true.

While the Republicans didn't roll out the welcome wagon, some were downright cordial in approaching him and asking him to leave.

But others screamed in his face — and isn't it just like the press to give the loudmouths more ink. But only because they quickly became the majority, surrounding Jackson, covering his camera with their hands and calling him a "murdering damned bastard" and "a damned hypocrite" — apparently their version of an abortion debate.

They told Jackson to leave: "You're not welcome here. Get out. Get out."

And, oddly enough, he was accused of harassment.

In somewhat of an understatement, Jackson told me the Republicans were "very confrontational."

What did you expect, I asked him. You were crashing their party. While I wouldn't agree with the crowd's language, the sentiment was right on — shove off.

But he didn't.

"I wasn't at all afraid, I was just interested," he said. "And in a way, I wanted to disrupt it a little bit with what I thought is the truth — that Trump should be jailed, Black lives do matter."

Now might be the time to mention that this wasn't Jackson's first rodeo.

He was blocked from entering local GOP headquarters when they staged a mock funeral procession for Democrats shortly before the 2020 election. Jackson recalled some jostling as he tried to get in the door and told me, "I think an old guy fell to the ground," but he doesn't remember details.

He has also walked through the crowd of Trump supporters waving flags at Esperanza and La Canada while wearing his "Dump Trump" baseball hat. No problems there, he said.

As for Saturday, Jackson planned to record as long as he could and then offer the video to Democrats or put it on YouTube (which he has done).

"I want to support Mark Kelly more than anything," he told me, which has to be sending shivers down the spine of the Kelly campaign right about now.

Jackson says he'd have complied had the Republicans asked him to leave instead of ordering him. When I pressed him on that he admitted, no, he probably wouldn't have.

Which is what led to an altercation just minutes after his arrival.

Nice right hook

When it became clear Jackson had no intention of leaving, several people dialed 911. The crowd around him grew, including one woman who got in his face with her pink phone.

He caught it all on his Go Pro.

At one point, and just inches from his face, the woman reached out and shoved him in the side. Then she balled up her fist and delivered a right hook that snapped Jackson's head back.

060722_jackson-masters-1.jpg

He had his phone in his left hand and his Go Pro in his right — and the video started getting a bit wobbly. But it's clear enough to see that he put out his hand and pushed hers away. He did not strike her, according to the video I saw. It was clearly a move to protect himself.

Then out of nowhere comes Blake Masters, a U.S. Senate candidate who'd been glad-handing in the background.

Masters lunged at Jackson, put both hands around his neck and pushed him backward.

060722_jackson-masters-4.jpg

This might be a good time to point out that Masters, at 35, is less than half Jackson's age.

With the camera rolling — and bouncing all over the place by now — Jackson fell to his knees and was swarmed by what he called 10 to 12 men. But was probably closer to four or five. He was dragged then — yep — literally thrown out the door onto the concrete breezeway. Then somebody yelled, "Lock the door!"

By this point, Masters' brief cameo was long over.

Jackson ended up on the ground with his head cocked and resting against a wall, knees bloodied, glasses askew.

Imagine the scene — all caught on video — of Jackson on the phone with a 911 operator as several Republicans stood over him, one with a cane yelling, "You're a disgrace to the human race!"

And lots of other really nasty stuff.

Then the Republicans worked quickly to frame the incident with cries of, "You can't hit a woman, what's wrong with you?" "He's attacking a woman just like they attack innocent children!" And, "You just hit a lady."

Right — the lady with the wicked right hook who connected twice before Jackson knew what hit him.

Meanwhile, Jackson was on the ground no doubt waiting for Sheriff's deputies and his Oscar for best actor in a melodrama.

Because he sure was milking it on the phone with the 911 operator:

•"They're yelling at me, they're attacking me," he said. (No they weren't.)

•"About 15 people jumped on me." (No they didn't.)

•"They knocked me down and tried to steal my necklace." (Wrong.)

•"Is it OK if I just stay where I am because I think if I try to leave they're going to kill me." (Eye roll.)

•"They're all kinda drunk." (I've seen drunk. This wasn't it.)

Then Jackson got it right: "They say that I hit a woman but I was defending myself." And, "They knocked me down on the ground."

The deputies came and Jackson said they were professional and understanding. He turned over his video but they didn't look at it right away. Based on what I'm sure were completely objective witness statements from the GOP crowd, Jackson ended up with two citations — trespassing and simple assault — and will be in court July 1. The ambulance guys patched up his knees and he went home.

Jackson told me he called one of those greasy face-on-the-phonebook lawyers and said he's still contemplating his next steps. The thought of pursuing legal action got a bit more traction during my visit — he hadn't seen the woman's second punch till I pointed it out.

What they said

I visited the United Republicans of Green Valley & Sahuarita on Tuesday and was politely told they'd have no comment on the incident.

Then I contacted Blake Masters' campaign and told them I have a video that shows their candidate with his hands around an old guy's neck. Would he like to explain?

Despite a promise of a phone interview, I ended up getting this from Masters (really, from his handlers — whose job it is to put out fires just like this one): "A left-wing activist came to a Republican event, started harassing people, and then hit a woman. I intervened and put an end to that. He was subsequently detained by the police and cited for assault. Let me be clear: if you come to an event I'm at and attack a woman, it's going to be a bad day for you."

Masters' press statements read a lot like his platform — about half of it is true, he doesn't bother to check the facts, and he likes to puff out his chest.

Let's go over his statement: I'd agree that Jackson's presence at the event was an attempt at harassment in and of itself. But Masters leaves the impression that Jackson was harassing individuals. That's not remotely true from the video I watched. Heck, the guy couldn't get a word in edgewise even if he wanted to.

Then Masters says Jackson hit a woman. The video says different, so does the citation, (I have a copy). It says Jackson was cited for "Assault — touch to provoke."

While that's inaccurate from the video I saw — Jackson was defending himself — it's not akin to striking somebody. It's also not an attack, as Masters also claimed.

This leaves us where?

Regardless of where you stand, nothing good happened Saturday night.

Jackson should have stayed home. He was there to poke a stick and make people uneasy. He should be glad he got away with just a couple of skinned knees. He wants the world to come to its senses but he's not there yet himself.

The initial small group of Republicans was handling the situation well. It's when the people with pitchforks and torches showed up that they lost the moral high ground.

It has to be unnerving to have a Peter Jackson show up at an event, but did it warrant knocking him down and tossing him outside? People sneak recorders into political events all the time to collect information on the opposition. At least Jackson was doing it openly.

The good news is that far-right members of the GOP and people like Jackson on the far left don't represent the values and interests of most of us. We do our best to ignore them, though outlets like Fox News and CNN make it difficult. This type of rancor translates into higher ratings and more cash, which is all they care about.

I'd love to believe we had a couple of take-aways from Saturday, but neither side is very teachable these days. That leaves it to the rest of us to study the issues, reject fringe candidates and organizations, and do our best to be decent Americans and consistent voters.

As to Mr. Jackson pondering future legal action, I'd encourage him to drop it, which is likely what will happen with his two citations. Let's all move on.

Edited by Bullneck

Associated Press

Herschel Walker says he 'never denied' having 4 children

JILL COLVIN
Sat, June 18, 2022, 2:22 PM

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — Georgia Republican Senate candidate Herschel Walker said Saturday that he “never denied" the existence of children he hadn't publicly disclosed before, telling conservative Christians that his kids "knew the truth.”

Speaking before a friendly audience at the Faith and Freedom Coalition’s annual “Road to Majority” conference, Walker said the revelations about his children had only emboldened his campaign.

“Well, first of all, they knew the truth. You know, I’ve never denied any of my kids and I love them more than I love anything," he said. “And they didn’t do anything, which just makes me want to fight harder because I’m tired of people misleading the American people. I’m tired of people misleading my family.”

Walker's comments came after The Daily Beast reported that the former football star has four children, including two sons and a daughter whom he had never discussed publicly. Walker has repeatedly criticized absentee fathers over the years and has called on Black men in particular to play an active role in the children's lives, holding up his relationship with his older son, Christian Walker, as an example.

Walker, who was interviewed on stage in Nashville, Tennessee, by coalition chair Ralph Reed, said he “knew what I signed up for when I got into this and they don’t realize that.”

“No weapon formed against me should ever prosper,” he said prompting loud applause and cheers.

Walker will face Democratic Sen. Raphael Warnock in the November general election, with the contest helping to determine which party will control the Senate, now split 50-50, next year.

Walker, who has been endorsed by top Republicans including former President Donald Trump and Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell of Kentucky, has faced serious allegations throughout his campaign, including that he threatened his ex-wife’s life and spread numerous falsehoods.

That includes having dramatically inflated his record as a businessman, overstated his role in a for-profit program that is alleged to have preyed on veterans while defrauding the government and his claim that he graduated at the top of his class from the University of Georgia. He didn’t graduate, as the Atlanta Journal-Constitution first reported.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/4/2022 at 8:50 AM, 956 Worldwide said:

he also lives in new jersey 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/8/2022 at 9:43 AM, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I think he wants his son to get his seat, when he steps down after winning in nov 

On 6/17/2022 at 7:58 PM, Bullneck said:

Spoilered for longcat but the article is surprisingly thorough.  But I don't think "let's move on" is a proper conclusion to a wanna be congressman hitting someone.  

Hide contents

060722_jackson_shirt.jpg

OPINION

Commentary

Shearer: GOP Senate candidate Blake Masters roughs up 73-year-old Dem. protester in Green Valley

GV resident wears 'Black Lives Matter' shirt, 'Jail Trump' hat to Republican mixer, ends up punched & pushed, then cited by deputies

Posted Jun 7, 2022, 9:05 pm

Dan ShearerGreen Valley News

Peter Jackson expected to ruffle some feathers when he showed up at a Republican event in Green Valley on Saturday wearing a "Jail Trump" hat and a "Black Lives Matter" t-shirt. What he didn't expect was to be on the receiving end of a right hook by an upset woman, knocked to the ground by a U.S. Senate candidate, and tossed into the breezeway, where he laid on the sidewalk injured until deputies arrived.

He also didn't expect to be the only one cited in the fracas — for trespassing and simple assault.

How is it all going to play out? Well, there's plenty of video and witnesses, a Pima County sheriff's report and a court date. But we know where this is headed — how you see it will depend almost entirely on your politics.

Peter Jackson is 73, a fierce Democrat, and if piles of letters to local newspapers are any indication, he isn't reluctant to share what's on his mind.

After I heard about Saturday's dust-up, I went to his home in Green Valley and knocked on the door fully expecting to be told to take a hike. But he let me in and was more than happy to talk, share his videos and — eventually — trust that I'd be accurate if I ended up writing about it.

Jackson isn't hard to figure out. He relished the Obama years, suffered through Trump's one term in office and practically swoons at the idea of a Bernie Sanders presidency. He has never been politically involved, he says; 38 years living in liberal Hawaii meant it wasn't really necessary.

He saw an opportunity in Green Valley on Saturday night when he heard that more than 20 GOP candidates had signed up for a meet-and-greet kegger at Continental Shopping Plaza. It was sponsored by United Republicans of Green Valley and Sahuarita and held in the shopping center's conference room.

Jackson doesn't see the Green Valley group as typical Republicans, insisting they and their national counterparts are dragging the country back to 1930s Germany.

It doesn't occur to Jackson that a lot of people see him as fringe, too, although I pointed it out more than once.

He said the goal when he walked into the packed room was to bring a bit of sanity to the right wing. Given that the public was invited, he thought it perfectly fine to show up.

"I went in hoping to be allowed to witness the event and listen to the candidates and possibly share the video I was obviously taking," he said. "Post-event, I would like people to see that they're not rational people. They're really violent people. They're people Americans should be concerned about."

That wasn't the only hyperbole from Jackson, but we'll get back to that later.

What happened?

Jackson had his tiny Go Pro camera rolling when he entered the second-floor conference room.

He was greeted with all the enthusiasm of a hot dog vendor at a vegetarian gathering.

Jackson acknowledged it was probably startling to see a guy show up wearing an N-95 mask, aviator sunglasses and a "Fully vaxxed" button. Not to mention that t-shirt, which in its entirety read: "Black Lives Matter More Than White Feelings; Check Your Privilege."

"I didn't want to get into a hassle," he told me. "If I am approached with reason, I would listen. But they were just telling me to get out."

According to his own video, that's not quite true.

While the Republicans didn't roll out the welcome wagon, some were downright cordial in approaching him and asking him to leave.

But others screamed in his face — and isn't it just like the press to give the loudmouths more ink. But only because they quickly became the majority, surrounding Jackson, covering his camera with their hands and calling him a "murdering damned bastard" and "a damned hypocrite" — apparently their version of an abortion debate.

They told Jackson to leave: "You're not welcome here. Get out. Get out."

And, oddly enough, he was accused of harassment.

In somewhat of an understatement, Jackson told me the Republicans were "very confrontational."

What did you expect, I asked him. You were crashing their party. While I wouldn't agree with the crowd's language, the sentiment was right on — shove off.

But he didn't.

"I wasn't at all afraid, I was just interested," he said. "And in a way, I wanted to disrupt it a little bit with what I thought is the truth — that Trump should be jailed, Black lives do matter."

Now might be the time to mention that this wasn't Jackson's first rodeo.

He was blocked from entering local GOP headquarters when they staged a mock funeral procession for Democrats shortly before the 2020 election. Jackson recalled some jostling as he tried to get in the door and told me, "I think an old guy fell to the ground," but he doesn't remember details.

He has also walked through the crowd of Trump supporters waving flags at Esperanza and La Canada while wearing his "Dump Trump" baseball hat. No problems there, he said.

As for Saturday, Jackson planned to record as long as he could and then offer the video to Democrats or put it on YouTube (which he has done).

"I want to support Mark Kelly more than anything," he told me, which has to be sending shivers down the spine of the Kelly campaign right about now.

Jackson says he'd have complied had the Republicans asked him to leave instead of ordering him. When I pressed him on that he admitted, no, he probably wouldn't have.

Which is what led to an altercation just minutes after his arrival.

Nice right hook

When it became clear Jackson had no intention of leaving, several people dialed 911. The crowd around him grew, including one woman who got in his face with her pink phone.

He caught it all on his Go Pro.

At one point, and just inches from his face, the woman reached out and shoved him in the side. Then she balled up her fist and delivered a right hook that snapped Jackson's head back.

060722_jackson-masters-1.jpg

He had his phone in his left hand and his Go Pro in his right — and the video started getting a bit wobbly. But it's clear enough to see that he put out his hand and pushed hers away. He did not strike her, according to the video I saw. It was clearly a move to protect himself.

Then out of nowhere comes Blake Masters, a U.S. Senate candidate who'd been glad-handing in the background.

Masters lunged at Jackson, put both hands around his neck and pushed him backward.

060722_jackson-masters-4.jpg

This might be a good time to point out that Masters, at 35, is less than half Jackson's age.

With the camera rolling — and bouncing all over the place by now — Jackson fell to his knees and was swarmed by what he called 10 to 12 men. But was probably closer to four or five. He was dragged then — yep — literally thrown out the door onto the concrete breezeway. Then somebody yelled, "Lock the door!"

By this point, Masters' brief cameo was long over.

Jackson ended up on the ground with his head cocked and resting against a wall, knees bloodied, glasses askew.

Imagine the scene — all caught on video — of Jackson on the phone with a 911 operator as several Republicans stood over him, one with a cane yelling, "You're a disgrace to the human race!"

And lots of other really nasty stuff.

Then the Republicans worked quickly to frame the incident with cries of, "You can't hit a woman, what's wrong with you?" "He's attacking a woman just like they attack innocent children!" And, "You just hit a lady."

Right — the lady with the wicked right hook who connected twice before Jackson knew what hit him.

Meanwhile, Jackson was on the ground no doubt waiting for Sheriff's deputies and his Oscar for best actor in a melodrama.

Because he sure was milking it on the phone with the 911 operator:

•"They're yelling at me, they're attacking me," he said. (No they weren't.)

•"About 15 people jumped on me." (No they didn't.)

•"They knocked me down and tried to steal my necklace." (Wrong.)

•"Is it OK if I just stay where I am because I think if I try to leave they're going to kill me." (Eye roll.)

•"They're all kinda drunk." (I've seen drunk. This wasn't it.)

Then Jackson got it right: "They say that I hit a woman but I was defending myself." And, "They knocked me down on the ground."

The deputies came and Jackson said they were professional and understanding. He turned over his video but they didn't look at it right away. Based on what I'm sure were completely objective witness statements from the GOP crowd, Jackson ended up with two citations — trespassing and simple assault — and will be in court July 1. The ambulance guys patched up his knees and he went home.

Jackson told me he called one of those greasy face-on-the-phonebook lawyers and said he's still contemplating his next steps. The thought of pursuing legal action got a bit more traction during my visit — he hadn't seen the woman's second punch till I pointed it out.

What they said

I visited the United Republicans of Green Valley & Sahuarita on Tuesday and was politely told they'd have no comment on the incident.

Then I contacted Blake Masters' campaign and told them I have a video that shows their candidate with his hands around an old guy's neck. Would he like to explain?

Despite a promise of a phone interview, I ended up getting this from Masters (really, from his handlers — whose job it is to put out fires just like this one): "A left-wing activist came to a Republican event, started harassing people, and then hit a woman. I intervened and put an end to that. He was subsequently detained by the police and cited for assault. Let me be clear: if you come to an event I'm at and attack a woman, it's going to be a bad day for you."

Masters' press statements read a lot like his platform — about half of it is true, he doesn't bother to check the facts, and he likes to puff out his chest.

Let's go over his statement: I'd agree that Jackson's presence at the event was an attempt at harassment in and of itself. But Masters leaves the impression that Jackson was harassing individuals. That's not remotely true from the video I watched. Heck, the guy couldn't get a word in edgewise even if he wanted to.

Then Masters says Jackson hit a woman. The video says different, so does the citation, (I have a copy). It says Jackson was cited for "Assault — touch to provoke."

While that's inaccurate from the video I saw — Jackson was defending himself — it's not akin to striking somebody. It's also not an attack, as Masters also claimed.

This leaves us where?

Regardless of where you stand, nothing good happened Saturday night.

Jackson should have stayed home. He was there to poke a stick and make people uneasy. He should be glad he got away with just a couple of skinned knees. He wants the world to come to its senses but he's not there yet himself.

The initial small group of Republicans was handling the situation well. It's when the people with pitchforks and torches showed up that they lost the moral high ground.

It has to be unnerving to have a Peter Jackson show up at an event, but did it warrant knocking him down and tossing him outside? People sneak recorders into political events all the time to collect information on the opposition. At least Jackson was doing it openly.

The good news is that far-right members of the GOP and people like Jackson on the far left don't represent the values and interests of most of us. We do our best to ignore them, though outlets like Fox News and CNN make it difficult. This type of rancor translates into higher ratings and more cash, which is all they care about.

I'd love to believe we had a couple of take-aways from Saturday, but neither side is very teachable these days. That leaves it to the rest of us to study the issues, reject fringe candidates and organizations, and do our best to be decent Americans and consistent voters.

As to Mr. Jackson pondering future legal action, I'd encourage him to drop it, which is likely what will happen with his two citations. Let's all move on.

cops are maga QoP, they can not be trusted at all to be 'impartial' 

1 hour ago, Satchel said:

Associated Press

Herschel Walker says he 'never denied' having 4 children

JILL COLVIN
Sat, June 18, 2022, 2:22 PM

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — Georgia Republican Senate candidate Herschel Walker said Saturday that he “never denied" the existence of children he hadn't publicly disclosed before, telling conservative Christians that his kids "knew the truth.”

Speaking before a friendly audience at the Faith and Freedom Coalition’s annual “Road to Majority” conference, Walker said the revelations about his children had only emboldened his campaign.

“Well, first of all, they knew the truth. You know, I’ve never denied any of my kids and I love them more than I love anything," he said. “And they didn’t do anything, which just makes me want to fight harder because I’m tired of people misleading the American people. I’m tired of people misleading my family.”

Walker's comments came after The Daily Beast reported that the former football star has four children, including two sons and a daughter whom he had never discussed publicly. Walker has repeatedly criticized absentee fathers over the years and has called on Black men in particular to play an active role in the children's lives, holding up his relationship with his older son, Christian Walker, as an example.

Walker, who was interviewed on stage in Nashville, Tennessee, by coalition chair Ralph Reed, said he “knew what I signed up for when I got into this and they don’t realize that.”

“No weapon formed against me should ever prosper,” he said prompting loud applause and cheers.

Walker will face Democratic Sen. Raphael Warnock in the November general election, with the contest helping to determine which party will control the Senate, now split 50-50, next year.

Walker, who has been endorsed by top Republicans including former President Donald Trump and Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell of Kentucky, has faced serious allegations throughout his campaign, including that he threatened his ex-wife’s life and spread numerous falsehoods.

That includes having dramatically inflated his record as a businessman, overstated his role in a for-profit program that is alleged to have preyed on veterans while defrauding the government and his claim that he graduated at the top of his class from the University of Georgia. He didn’t graduate, as the Atlanta Journal-Constitution first reported.

who are 4 kids that have never been in herschel's kitchen ?

Current predictions for contested senate races:

NH: Hassan vs Bolduc: Hassan has tons more money than Bolduc and she should be able to hang on.

NV: Masto vs Laxalt: Will be close but Masto has a lot more money and should barely squeak by.

AZ: Kelly vs Lamar/Masters/Brnovich: Kelly is a good candidate and the GOP candidates are tearing each other up.  Hard to see Kelly losing unless there’s election dispute shenanigans that let the state leg interfere.

GA: Warnock vs Walker: if Warnock doesn’t win it’s the end of the world.  Warnock is a normal, functioning human being.  Walker is literally unable to speak coherently.

PA: Fetterman vs Dr Oz: Fetterman is a good candidate and Oz is a very odd fit for the maga crowd (not to mention the senate in general).  Fetterman should win handily unless he has more health problems.

FL: Demings vs Rubio: It’ll be close but Rubio will hang on.

OH: Ryan vs Vance: this currently shows leaning red but I think that GOP primary took a lot out of Vance.  It will be close.  For now smart money is on Vance but Ryan has a chance.

UT: McMullin (IND) vs Lee: The Dems got behind McMullin and this race is tightening.  Trump doesn’t appear to be all that popular in Utah.  I like McMullin and so maybe I’m just pipe dreaming but I’m hopeful there’s a chance.  Wouldn’t bet on it for now but it’s worth watching.

WI: Barnes vs Johnson: Johnson is the incumbent and Trumpers will show up for him.  Barnes is a decent candidate but not a moderate.  Close but for now it’s looking like Johnson.

NC: Beasley vs Budd: I don’t think Beasley has much of a chance here.

So that tallies up to the Dems picking up one seat.

• Hook 'Em 1