The Queen's Gambit (Netflix)

hobbs

SIAP...it's really good.  Yes, the primary subject is chess, but we are hooked nonetheless. 

Spoiler

We couldn't figure out what the guy playing Benny had been in, so finally went to the Googles...Love Actually, wow, no wonder we couldn't remember, but he still looks the same years later.

Edited by hobbs
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 10/30/2020 at 7:40 PM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

This is excellent.  I love it.  But the way, the actor who played Dudley Dursley in the Harry Potter movies (Henry Melling) is in this.  He is having a nice post Potter career (also in The Old Guard and another Netflix movie that has Tom Holland and Robert Pattinson in it).

I had no idea that was him.  You could put that in the no way these two are the same actors thread.  It's funny because every time I see him in something I say that's the no arm/no leg guy from The Ballad of Buster Scruggs, and I've probably seen the Harry Potter movies several times over and never made the connection.  

That was really good. I'm impressed how much the chess made sense. Apparently they worked very hard to make sure every move resulted in a real positions. I also appreciate that they used terminology correctly, and not just in the typical have the one guy that explains everything sort of way. 

On 11/2/2020 at 8:29 AM, 52-80 said:

wife was watching it and i caught a scene with this guy with a moustache.  looks like a 14 year old trying to impersonate an adult.

Yea that was pretty bad, he was cast wrong for sure.  I thought the same thing, he was not old enough to be a master at that time.

really good show. Difficult to not binge the entire thing as you wanted to see more. 

Spoiler

Was hoping there would be some scene of her visiting the custodian before he died but that probably wouldn't have been true to her destructive nature.

I liked how they didn't just make everyone 100% good or evil. Most of the characters had flaws but that didn't mean they kicked children or puppies. Even the stepdad. In other TV series, they would immediately jump to him being a child molester. That would be too easy and sloppy storytelling. Instead he was just an everyday POS. and that was enough.

17 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

That was really good. I'm impressed how much the chess made sense. Apparently they worked very hard to make sure every move resulted in a real positions. I also appreciate that they used terminology correctly, and not just in the typical have the one guy that explains everything sort of way. 

i read that they actually used the terminology anachronistically. They get the notation correct with say, “N-B3,” but you wouldn't actually say “N to B 3.” You would say “Night to bishop three.” Not “P to B 4,” but “Pawn to bishop four.”

17 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

Yea that was pretty bad, he was cast wrong for sure.  I thought the same thing, he was not old enough to be a master at that time.

What? Bobby Fischer made grandmaster at 15 years old. There were numerous in that time frame in their teens and twenties. 

54 minutes ago, Viper said:

i read that they actually used the terminology anachronistically. They get the notation correct with say, “N-B3,” but you wouldn't actually say “N to B 3.” You would say “Night to bishop three.” Not “P to B 4,” but “Pawn to bishop four.”

I don't know that I noticed any real errors in terminology or notation. They used descriptive notation, which isn't common anymore. The primary thing that I noticed during my watch was in Beth's Mexico tournament where she opened d4. They prematurely called it the Queen's Gambit. There are plenty of d4 openings besides the Queen's Gambit. Until you see c4, you have no idea if white has elected to open with the Queen's Gambit or not. I tend to think it was just a mistake in video editing, as they quickly follow up that the game proceeded along Queen's Gambit Declined (meaning that black didn't take the sacrificial pawn).   

Edited by Dahobbs

24 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I've been a very casual (and bad) chess player in the past. The series made me want to start up again. 

Too much effort to learn strategy. 
i like to play people like me, that know the moves and that’s about it. Trying to think only 2-3 moves ahead. Closer to checkers than good chess. 

the one thing this series, and actual high level chess makes it look like, is that it’s less abut skill and more about memorization of sequences, attacks, defenses. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Too much effort to learn strategy. 
i like to play people like me, that know the moves and that’s about it. Trying to think only 2-3 moves ahead. Closer to checkers than good chess. 

the one thing this series, and actual high level chess makes it look like, is that it’s less abut skill and more about memorization of sequences, attacks, defenses. 

Memorizing openings and lines just give you the ability to pick your strategic position for when the game actually gets going. You can't memorize chess. Even computers can't (so far). That said, doing so will certainly give you an advantage over complete neophytes. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I was all in.  Then they sealed the deal with the Classical Gas montage during the Ohio tournament. 

It's a bummer seeing some of the actors you liked as a kid dying, but it's cool to see some of the younger folks coming up.

I'm to lazy to do the research, but any of the MadMen folks have a part in this? 

5 hours ago, tantric superman said:

I was all in.  Then they sealed the deal with the Classical Gas montage during the Ohio tournament. 

It's a bummer seeing some of the actors you liked as a kid dying, but it's cool to see some of the younger folks coming up.

I'm to lazy to do the research, but any of the MadMen folks have a part in this? 

scott frank. look him up. no mad men overlap that i know of. 

I wish more shows were like this. Limited series. 7 episodes to tell the story based on the book, and we’re done. But I hope this doesn’t become like Big Little Lies (or worse, A Handmaid’s Tale, although that was clearly intended to go beyond one season), where they have a hit and decide to make more episodes with new storylines not based on source material. 

There are rumblings there might be another season. I kinda hope not. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Started it last weekend and finished it last night.  Really liked this series but chalk me up with those who don't want another season...not needed.

A few thoughts:

Could have sworn I saw pawns move horizontally a couple of times but maybe that was just bad camera work.  Thought they did a great job explaining/covering the game otherwise.

I really like Bill Camp.

Allston needed his fuck beat.

Edited by McCroskey

On 11/9/2020 at 3:58 PM, Dahobbs said:

I don't know that I noticed any real errors in terminology or notation. They used descriptive notation, which isn't common anymore. The primary thing that I noticed during my watch was in Beth's Mexico tournament where she opened d4. They prematurely called it the Queen's Gambit. There are plenty of d4 openings besides the Queen's Gambit. Until you see c4, you have no idea if white has elected to open with the Queen's Gambit or not. I tend to think it was just a mistake in video editing, as they quickly follow up that the game proceeded along Queen's Gambit Declined (meaning that black didn't take the sacrificial pawn).   

I think it's forgivable. 1. d4 d5 would have been the Queen's Gambit most of the time in those days, unless you were going for the Chigorin, QBA or something weird like Blackmar-Diemar.

Edited by satyanash
  • Like 1

Really good tv and the period components from fashion to cars to interior design were a big part of the success. The story line behind chess and the acting were superb. I really enjoy stories about the underlying cost of winning. She did an excellent job with that story. Excellent series.

• Hook 'Em 2