The Queen's Gambit (Netflix)

hobbs

10 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

Jojen Reed looks like a 13 year old with terrible peach fuzz, greasy hair, and he dresses like an asshole, and i'm having trouble getting over it. otherwise i'm enjoying it through five episodes. 

He plays chess, lives in NY, and yet dresses like a cheesy bounty hunter. Wish they would've explained that somehow. 

On 12/3/2020 at 1:17 AM, shadow_operative said:

Jojen Reed looks like a 13 year old with terrible peach fuzz, greasy hair, and he dresses like an asshole, and i'm having trouble getting over it. otherwise i'm enjoying it through five episodes. 

Yeah that was tough to get over. But he was good in the show. I wish she ended up with the guy from Harry Potter. He would have brought some good balance in her life. 

On 11/18/2020 at 10:57 AM, bernorange said:

Beth's  chess career loosely mimics the story/career of Bobby Fischer.  The drug addiction stuff was the book author's own personal demon.

She's a combination of Bobby Fischer (meteoric rise to international stardom), Lisa Lane (girl in a guy-dominated sport grabbing headlines), and the author (drug problems).

image.png1200x0.jpg

On 11/19/2020 at 8:36 AM, Mileslong said:

I wasn’t familiar with this actress before this show. I could never decide if she was hot or an alien. She would make a perfect model, she can look completely different depending on what she wears or her hairstyle.

Probably looks weird as hell with no makeup and hot when all dressed up like a lot of models

She is a bit of a two-face.  I have seen her in several things, including her debut in The VVitch, in vvhich she was pretty strong.

But the bangs she had in the first few eps were so (intentionally I'm sure) terrible with her eyes that I was just thinking "stahp."

I haven't quite finished it, but it' s very good through ep 6.  I know nothing beyond rudimentary chess.  Learning notation has always been something I have never forced myself to do.  It does make for a pretty good backdrop for a film or story as it is alternatingly extremely civilized and savage.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

On 11/19/2020 at 9:20 AM, tantric superman said:

I think she won all of those games because of those crazy eyes.

No way I could concentrate if I looked up and saw those eyes staring back at me.

well chess players generally stare at the board, not each other 😄 I'm sure that was for dramatic effect as much ans anything

I read some reviews where some autistic women were really relating to her character. The mannerisms, her difficulty in relating properly to others. They didn't say inthe storyline that she was autistic as I doubt it was a known condition then. Pretty cool take on the main character.  Sorry if this was mentioned, I didn't go back through the whole thread.

Edited by burntorangebongos

Good show.  On the one hand, it treated her addiction, while in it, pretty frankly.  On the other, her ability to cycle in and out of it relatively freely was unrealistic.

IMDB has it listed as a "mini series."  I suppose that's not conclusive, but there doesn't seem to be any point in more.

Fin.

21 hours ago, burntorangebongos said:

I read some reviews where some autistic women were really relating to her character. The mannerisms, her difficulty in relating properly to others. They didn't say inthe storyline that she was autistic as I doubt it was a known condition then. Pretty cool take on the main character.  Sorry if this was mentioned, I didn't go back through the whole thread.

The way the character was played gave a strong impression that she was somewhere on the spectrum.  Asperger's would seem to fit.

Oh,  okay. Well, it explains a lot about her behavior and cluelessness about other people's reactions to her or their feelings. I also think she wasn't a true addict but one using pills and booze to blunt feelings she didn't know how to deal with especially for being on the spectrum. I could be wrong but that may be why she could turn away from the alcohol and pills so easily. Her addiction was chess, they were just crutches that helped her to stop thinking about it.

Oh,  okay. Well, it explains a lot about her behavior and cluelessness about other people's reactions to her or their feelings. I also think she wasn't a true addict but one using pills and booze to blunt feelings she didn't know how to deal with especially for being on the spectrum. I could be wrong but that may be why she could turn away from the alcohol and pills so easily. Her addiction was chess, they were just crutches that helped her to stop thinking about it.

Yes, chess with her is like sex with me. An inability to quit thinking about it and I am the best in the world at it...
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah, we really enjoyed it.  It was great as a period piece -- music, fashion, smoking.  A little bit of that Mad Men vibe of a time that my wife and I remember (it bled over into the early 70s).  It was a great character study of her, and some of the supporting characters as well (her mom, Beltik, and others).

And she is an incredibly striking woman.  Just different looking, but beautiful.  Wide set, big eyes.  Cupids bow lips, and when she decided to turn on the charm, it was easy.  But it was also easy for her to show off being completely broken.

An interesting thing about Anya Taylor Joy -- she spent her first 6 years in Buenos Aires, and really is a Porteno at heart.  I saw an interview with her in spanish, and she sounded like every Argentine I know.  Really jarring to hear perfect castellano spanish coming from her, but kinda cool.

With the exception of the usual Mrs-Ramjet-on-her-phone and my having to answer questions about the plot that had just happened... I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I remember playing the tabletop "computer" chess game (early-mid 1980s) that would speak the computer move and light up the board squares.

It actually took me a few games before I realized it had a very limited set of patterns it played, then it was easy.

We broke it up over three nights and finished it last night. Enjoyed it just as much as everyone else. 

I bought No Stress Chess for the Doomlet (5,m) at the start of quarantine, and he's gotten pretty decent at it. I'm not a serious player (never read a book, don't really know notation, but have played a bit over the years) so it's entirely possible that I don't know what I'm talking about, but it seems like a good way for a kid to learn the game while not being completely mind numbing for an adult. 

https://winning-moves.com/product/NoStressChess.asp

• 4 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:
On 12/26/2020 at 11:00 PM, TonyTexas said:
She's no Lidia Bastianich

That was random

Futureman post in WTF Celebrity  Crush thread

On 12/26/2020 at 1:23 PM, futureman said:

Lidia Bastianich.  italian woman with a cooking show on PBS.  she seems like she was probably into some freak shit when she was younger, and I bet she’d still give up the ass and then make you a plate of lasagna.

• Haha 1

On 12/18/2020 at 11:39 PM, futureman said:

I’m at risk of going full romavicta on this broad but goddamn she is amazingly gorgeous. one of the more attractive women I’ve seen on screen in a long time. 

If you haven't seen it, check her out in The VVitch.

Those cartoon doe eyes along with the 17th century New England accent plus the blond hair..

Mother of God.

2 minutes ago, trza-hawk said:

I load up twitch to have some games streaming while I do some other things and the computer chess streams have been in the trending and popular menu for the past couple months.

Yeah Chess was big on Twitch during the pandemic. A ton of popular streamers have started playing it.

They mostly suck at it, predictably, but their games draw huge numbers. They're doing another chess tournament next month with Daniel Negreanu and Rainn Wilson among other people. https://www.chess.com/news/view/chess-pogchamps-mrbeast-pokimane-xqc

We watched this over the weekend. Great fucking show. As someone mentioned earlier, I love shows like these. Quick and to the point. Great storyline and a beginning and ending in the span of 7 to 8 episodes. And like someone else mentioned, hopefully this does not go the route of 13 Reasons Why and they milk it and it goes way off the rails to create more seasons.

• 4 weeks later...