Share Your Music (it probably sucks but that’s not why we do it)

NoRagrets

1 hour ago, sidis said:

No feedback beyond it kicks ass. Nice!

If it was me, I might tinker with the mex a little and bring the prominence of the drums forward just a bit...particularly the low end. I would raise the 1 and 2 band on the EQ ever so slightly across the board as well. 

Interesting . . . I hear the opposite!  My monitors are a little bassy though, so I might be overestimating the lower end.

BUT, I would add some sparkle on top with percussion, maybe a shaker or something like that.

I dig it.  Good playing!  Nice chord progression, and I love the way the lead part conforms to the unusual harmonic structure.

3 hours ago, sidis said:

No feedback beyond it kicks ass. Nice!

If it was me, I might tinker with the mex a little and bring the prominence of the drums forward just a bit...particularly the low end. I would raise the 1 and 2 band on the EQ ever so slightly across the board as well. 

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Interesting . . . I hear the opposite!  My monitors are a little bassy though, so I might be overestimating the lower end.

BUT, I would add some sparkle on top with percussion, maybe a shaker or something like that.

I dig it.  Good playing!  Nice chord progression, and I love the way the lead part conforms to the unusual harmonic structure.

13 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

@Goredho that is the extent of my feedback as well-- I wouldn't have the first clue what to play over those changes but what you played just followed it perfectly.  

Wow, thanks all.  Appreciate the thoughts.  It's a work in progress. I'll see about tinkering with the mix in those regards when I get everything recorded and am ready for a final mix and master.  I obviously like the progression, too.  It's all in the key of G except for that last chord, which is an A-major vs an A-minor, which shows up kind of strange and unexpected.  It changes the notes/scales that work over that last chord in the progression, so there's a little mental gymnastics involved with playing over it. 

Right now I'm working on the first part of the song, which will have a more searching/longing feel before the breakthrough with the climax.  Here's a rough cut.

Edited by Goredho
  • Hook 'Em 4

Man, that's some nice stuff, Gored.  Soft section = Knopfler and Page's love child.  Louder guitar kind of Framptony-Dave Gilmour mix? (Those are compliments). 

Yeah, turn the drums up a good bit.  Good stuff all around!

This isn't "original" but as I've said (somewhere on here, I'm sure, lol!) I took up the sax about 2 1/2 months ago.  Am taking to it pretty well (having music as a first career and playing other instruments, + theory/comp major helps - a lot).  This has a few warts (long story) but all in all I was kind of pleasantly surprised - ran over to my recording gear, slapped in the a la Benson backing track, blew on a brass tube, and put some reverb onto it.  Very quick/sloppy mix, but it works.  Leon's awesome tune.  I only did 2 1/2 minutes on it and stuck mostly to the road and didn't take any jamming detours, but hey, I've heard worse.. no, I'm sure I have, just gimme a minute.

Love the tenor sax most of my life, and now I'm playing it!  Whod've thunk?  Anyway enjoy.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vDcqb-5whRoBiTDzK4HFpfZcQ8Aa7KnC/view?usp=sharing

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, phdhorn said:

Man, that's some nice stuff, Gored.  Soft section = Knopfler and Page's love child.  Louder guitar kind of Framptony-Dave Gilmour mix? (Those are compliments). 

This isn't "original" but as I've said (somewhere on here, I'm sure, lol!) I took up the sax about 2 1/2 months ago.  Am taking to it pretty well (having music as a first career and playing other instruments, + theory/comp major helps - a lot).  This has a few warts (long story) but all in all I was kind of pleasantly surprised - ran over to my recording gear, slapped in the a la Benson backing track, blew on a brass tube, and put some reverb onto it.  Very quick/sloppy mix, but it works.  Leon's awesome tune.  I only did 2 1/2 minutes on it and stuck mostly to the road and didn't take any jamming detours, but hey, I've heard worse.. no, I'm sure I have, just gimme a minute.

Love the tenor sax most of my life, and now I'm playing it!  Whod've thunk?  Anyway enjoy.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vDcqb-5whRoBiTDzK4HFpfZcQ8Aa7KnC/view?usp=sharing

Thanks for the kind words.  Definitely have some of those guys musical DNA in my playing.

I'm very familiar with the George Benson version of that song, and he's a hell of a guitar player.  Features prominently in my spotify guitar inspiration playlist.  I love the sax you laid on there.  It's a very expressive instrument and you play it really well.

I dig the take on "Masquerade", phd.  I ran with a bunch of good to better HS players in my day, and you are already at that level, just 2.5 months in?  That's fantastic.  Good tone, good intonation.  Nice job.  I love the 70s violin backing track too!

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, phdhorn said:

Good stuff but I can’t be the only one thinking it...

9010E7CD-CFFF-4F96-A1D8-0A395E14A70D.jpeg.d8a2e1a4025a001c2ccc5ab336ae52e3.jpeg

• Haha 1

Going off on a tangent, but one of the things I love about the George Benson version of "This Masquerade" is his vocal and guitar doubling at the beginning and middle of the song.  I wish I could hum in key.

Edited by Goredho

14 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I dig the take on "Masquerade", phd.  I ran with a bunch of good to better HS players in my day, and you are already at that level, just 2.5 months in?  That's fantastic.  Good tone, good intonation.  Nice job.  I love the 70s violin backing track too!

Heh, thanks.  I get exactly what you're saying in your compliment and I agree.  I do think I've taken to it faster than the average guy, but again, lots of theory and music playing (other instruments) background helps.  I rented a sax in Sept. from Strait, played it for 3 weeks, returned it, then waited 2 months to decide if I wanted to really get going and buy one.  Bought one in Nov. and it came first week of Dec.  For the next 2 months, it was sporadic (two weeks off, two weeks on) playing for a number of reasons, finally got going really well beginning of Feb.

So all in all, you count up the man-hours on the thing, probably amounts to about 2 months.   Anyway, it's not my intent to, nor will I ever be, a serious pro player.. but I'm now getting to the point where I can do maybe 75% of the stuff I want to (pop/rock/r&b vs. "difficult" jazz).  Of course it takes a few years for your embouchure to really solidify so yeah there will be occasional pitch/tone issues, plus learning how your reeds work when early into a session, or having gone 2 hours (the few little squeaks on the recording are due to the reed getting a little noodley).

But all in all it's been much more fun/somewhat easier than I feared, so I'm now pretty happy that I can consider myself a sax player, although at this point a definite amateur.  With some time I think I'll get pretty good at most pop stuff.

13 hours ago, Goredho said:

Going off on a tangent, but one of the things I love about the George Benson version of "This Masquerade" is his vocal and guitar doubling at the beginning and middle of the song.  I wish I could hum in key.

Funny, I heard him on Carson and he said he always fancied himself a singer first (or at least that's his first love) who happens to play guitar.

"Happens to play guitar."  Yeah, right, like Franklin "happens to serve cooked meat."  Could've fooled me.  

I can sort of hum w/guitar but one thing I'm learning on the sax is that to get that "grovely" sound, one of two primary techniques is to hum as you play.  Furthermore, although you can more or less hum anything, if you hum certain pitches (i.e. a constant third over your melody), the growly sound is stronger and better.  So I'm supposed to blow, think a melody, then think a third over it, and hum it?  What am I, Ornette Coleman or something?  Anyway it's fun - and challenging.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, phdhorn said:

Heh, thanks.  I get exactly what you're saying in your compliment and I agree.  I do think I've taken to it faster than the average guy, but again, lots of theory and music playing (other instruments) background helps.  I rented a sax in Sept. from Strait, played it for 3 weeks, returned it, then waited 2 months to decide if I wanted to really get going and buy one.  Bought one in Nov. and it came first week of Dec.  For the next 2 months, it was sporadic (two weeks off, two weeks on) playing for a number of reasons, finally got going really well beginning of Feb.

So all in all, you count up the man-hours on the thing, probably amounts to about 2 months.   Anyway, it's not my intent to, nor will I ever be, a serious pro player.. but I'm now getting to the point where I can do maybe 75% of the stuff I want to (pop/rock/r&b vs. "difficult" jazz).  Of course it takes a few years for your embouchure to really solidify so yeah there will be occasional pitch/tone issues, plus learning how your reeds work when early into a session, or having gone 2 hours (the few little squeaks on the recording are due to the reed getting a little noodley).

But all in all it's been much more fun/somewhat easier than I feared, so I'm now pretty happy that I can consider myself a sax player, although at this point a definite amateur.  With some time I think I'll get pretty good at most pop stuff.

Funny, I heard him on Carson and he said he always fancied himself a singer first (or at least that's his first love) who happens to play guitar.

"Happens to play guitar."  Yeah, right, like Franklin "happens to serve cooked meat."  Could've fooled me.  

I can sort of hum w/guitar but one thing I'm learning on the sax is that to get that "grovely" sound, one of two primary techniques is to hum as you play.  Furthermore, although you can more or less hum anything, if you hum certain pitches (i.e. a constant third over your melody), the growly sound is stronger and better.  So I'm supposed to blow, think a melody, then think a third over it, and hum it?  What am I, Ornette Coleman or something?  Anyway it's fun - and challenging.

That’s cool, I had no idea about the mechanics of how to produce different sounds on a sax.

1 hour ago, Goredho said:

That’s cool, I had no idea about the mechanics of how to produce different sounds on a sax.

Yeah, I didn't either!  But it's not all that hard to get at least a decent amateur sound.  But your mouth muscles have to strengthen - most newbies can't close the sides of their lips hard enough for a long enough time - but eventually like all muscles, use builds 'em up.  Pitch can also depend on combo of reeds and mouthpieces, plus uh, if it's a good quality sax, pitches will come out well; if not, not so much.

It all sounds hard but you just stick it in your mouth and blow.

And yes, as you can imagine, it was painfully difficult to write this without a slew of junior high jokes coming to mind.

• Haha 1

On 2/26/2021 at 10:00 PM, jimmyjazz said:

I really enjoyed that.  Your son is the singer (songwriter)?

He is.  They had a set scheduled for South By Southwest last year-that didn't happen.  He produces a lot of indie projects ind the DFW area.  Thanks for your kind words. 

• 2 weeks later...

Man, finally after 13 months we're getting to play a live gig again this coming Saturday night.  The last one was last February for the Patek (as in Joe Patek for those who know) family reunion, that was a blast.  Here's one of their most famous numbers...

And to shake the rust off we had a rehearsal on Sunday and wound up doing a little livestream at the end.  Our accordion player is still not comfortable being out in public much so no accordion here, we will have a sub sitting in on Saturday, but this is really a side project (as I mentioned before), just the rest of the band, hoping to record a CD in the next couple of months using the guitars for rhythm, more of a looser, country sound thatn we would normally have.  It's not perfect, we were pretty tired but we had fun...

• Hook 'Em 3

i am curious if any of the rest of you that post music to places like soundcloud, spotify, etc... have any interesting audience observations.  i do absolutely zero marketing (the most would be posting links on these threads for goredho to listen to) and no efforting on social media, etc... to get stuff out so whatever audience there is...is largely driven by chance or organically other than a few friends.  however, i could not help but noticing that over the last few months, listens in the middle east are up a bit.  here are the audience country list for listens to my songs over the last couple of weeks...made me do a double take.  certainly a veritable who's who of nations known for their artistic expression there in the top 5.  has anyone else noticed a bizarre audience trend?  bismillah i suppose.

SoundCloud.thumb.JPG.29a27b7b02496a87f7f3ffa5d995dc19.JPG

1 hour ago, sidis said:

i am curious if any of the rest of you that post music to places like soundcloud, spotify, etc... have any interesting audience observations.  i do absolutely zero marketing (the most would be posting links on these threads for goredho to listen to) and no efforting on social media, etc... to get stuff out so whatever audience there is...is largely driven by chance or organically other than a few friends.  however, i could not help but noticing that over the last few months, listens in the middle east are up a bit.  here are the audience country list for listens to my songs over the last couple of weeks...made me do a double take.  certainly a veritable who's who of nations known for their artistic expression there in the top 5.  has anyone else noticed a bizarre audience trend?  bismillah i suppose.

SoundCloud.thumb.JPG.29a27b7b02496a87f7f3ffa5d995dc19.JPG

That's kind of strange.  Any particular song showing an uptick in audience streams or listeners?  I know sometimes one of our tunes will get shared on Facebook or a blog and it gets way more plays than it normally would...

20 minutes ago, UTCzech III said:

That's kind of strange.  Any particular song showing an uptick in audience streams or listeners?  I know sometimes one of our tunes will get shared on Facebook or a blog and it gets way more plays than it normally would...

it is definitely stylistic.  all the middle eastern countries like iran and syria exclusively hit the more minimalist, piano-string pieces that i do.  perhaps just the more contemplative, peaceful sound appeals or something.  then germany, russia, and the rest of eastern europe eschew traditional stereotypes and hit all the house and techno stuff.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/24/2021 at 12:51 PM, Goredho said:

Wow, thanks all.  Appreciate the thoughts.  It's a work in progress. I'll see about tinkering with the mix in those regards when I get everything recorded and am ready for a final mix and master.  I obviously like the progression, too.  It's all in the key of G except for that last chord, which is an A-major vs an A-minor, which shows up kind of strange and unexpected.  It changes the notes/scales that work over that last chord in the progression, so there's a little mental gymnastics involved with playing over it. 

Right now I'm working on the first part of the song, which will have a more searching/longing feel before the breakthrough with the climax.  Here's a rough cut.

Cot damn that beautiful.

Maybe asked and answered, but what kind of guitar? And I'm assuming the lead is overdubbed or are you so damn good you're playing it all at the same time?

42 minutes ago, Nole-4-Life said:

Cot damn that beautiful.

Maybe asked and answered, but what kind of guitar? And I'm assuming the lead is overdubbed or are you so damn good you're playing it all at the same time?

Thanks.  It’s a 1961 Gibson ES-335 reissue.  Two tracks on that piece you quoted.  An acoustic playing the chords and the ES-335 playing the lead/melody.

custom-shop-historic-es335-reissue-1961-

• Hook 'Em 2

On 3/11/2021 at 3:05 PM, sidis said:

i am curious if any of the rest of you that post music to places like soundcloud, spotify, etc... have any interesting audience observations

I'm too much of a coward to post it publicly. My stuff's all on a private channel that I have chosen to share here, song by song. 

Farkin' around and larnin' as I go thru on the sax.  Did this yesterday.  Nice backing track (it said "backing track" but I think it's more karaoke, whatevers).  What I like the best is I "almost" nailed the solo that the soprano sax really does on the record, although that's a soprano and an octave higher.  I chose this specifically because I want to learn how to come in on the lowest notes on a tenor sax, so I purposely played the first 2 verses in the lower octave, and it ain't too easy, but getting there without honking or squeaking - it's also hard to end a phrase sometimes.. "fading" off a note in the lower register ain't a cakewalk.  Consistent tone/pitch also still a work in progress, but improvements made.  Happy enough widdit to post here.  Gotta say the backing track (minus the voices) is really well done for one of these.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PmftRmqCo1wYhOYvQZgTqln-LUkN2Wd5/view?usp=drivesdk

Edited by phdhorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

I’ve been playing guitar for about 35 years.  Cover bands, original music, etc.

After my divorce for whatever reason my creativity as a songwriter just took off.  I was never a singer (backup singing in some songs), but I was just hit like a brick with some real raw emotions and I rented a very nice practice studio and started writing new material, and singing it all.  I wasn’t shy about it and just went for it.

I would say it’s on the country side of Tom Petty, with some “Black Crowsey, numbers too.  When we record them, I’ll post them.

But I have a question for the musician/songwriter/lyricist.  Do you find it easier to write the words first, or the song first?

Great thread.

Edited by Rip76
  • Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Rip76 said:

I’ve been playing guitar for about 35 years.  Cover bands, original music, etc.

After my divorce for whatever reason my creativity as a songwriter just took off.  I was never a singer (backup singing in some songs), but I was just hit like a brick with some real raw emotions and I rented a very nice practice studio and started writing new material, and singing it all.  I wasn’t shy about it and just went for it.

I would say it’s on the country side of Tom Petty, with some “Black Crowsey, numbers too.  When we record them, I’ll post them.

But I have a question for the musician/songwriter/lyricist.  Do you find it easier to write the words first, or the song first?

Great thread.

For me a the music always came first 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

Here's something I wrote and that we are almost finished with mixing.

good shit, man.  i think my favorite part is just how uplifting and reassuring it is.

but seriously, the recording quality and mixing/mastering sound like they are in a pretty damned good state already.  i might bring the bass pops at 3:42 and at 3:56 forward a little more so those moments hit with a bit more knock you over, rage against the machine punch.  i was honestly left with a desire for a bit more of a solo shred on the line that starts at 4:21 prior to the tempo slowdown finale.

really solid.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/28/2021 at 6:48 PM, Rip76 said:

Do you find it easier to write the words first, or the song first?

I'm going to need chord changes and tempo pretty early on.  If I have those things, I can just repeat them over and over (often at kitchen table with an acoustic and a notebook) while working out the structure of the vocals.  I would have a hard time writing music if I had a full page of already-finished verse.  That feels forced and inauthentic to me.

I heard Joe Pug say this once, and I think it nails songwriting:  At some point, the part of your brain that *finishes* songs is the same part that solves crossword puzzles.  

i.e.  it usually gets more technical than creative -- working out rhyme schemes, figuring out what chord changes can get you from the chorus back to the intro, etc.

It often requires a considerable amount of discipline and grit to finish (two things that are never required to start a song, IMO).

Glad to hear you're riding a wave of creativity.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, AnotherUTFan said:

Here's something I wrote and that we are almost finished with mixing.

Not a neg, but there is a mouth click at 0:32 that is a pet peeve of mine, particularly for a quiet part in a song.  May not bother you at all, but that's the kind of thing I can't "unhear" in a song.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Paul Wesley said:

I'm going to need chord changes and tempo pretty early on.  If I have those things, I can just repeat them over and over (often at kitchen table with an acoustic and a notebook) while working out the structure of the vocals.  I would have a hard time writing music if I had a full page of already-finished verse.  That feels forced and inauthentic to me.

I heard Joe Pug say this once, and I think it nails songwriting:  At some point, the part of your brain that *finishes* songs is the same part that solves crossword puzzles.  

i.e.  it usually gets more technical than creative -- working out rhyme schemes, figuring out what chord changes can get you from the chorus back to the intro, etc.

It often requires a considerable amount of discipline and grit to finish (two things that are never required to start a song, IMO).

Great stuff, Paul.

I've written a ton of songs.  Most of them probably suck, but there is clearly a process by which one gets better.  I think there is a difference between "craft" and "art" in songwriting.  Very few practice "art".  A lot of songwriters get pretty damn good at the craft, though.  It is analogous to a muscle -- you have to exercise it, and the more you exercise it, the stronger it gets.  One eventually becomes more intuitive about choosing words, chords, notes, and hopefully, it's all part of developing one's own style.  Those young pups who start dropping great songs before they're old enough to even be cynical?  Fiona Apple, Paul McCartney, John Lennon?  That's art.

For me, it almost always . . . and I mean pretty much 100% of the time . . . starts with fucking around on an acoustic guitar.  When the stars are aligned, a chord progression will come to me, and it doesn't necessarily have to be complicated or unique, it can be I-IV-V, but on THAT day, it sparks a melody and lyrics that couldn't have come to me a day before.  It's important to be receptive to what's coming down the pike.  I have heard hundreds if not thousands of great songwriters say the same thing.  Basically "I dunno, it just came to me."

That said, tons of great songs come lyrics-first.  I mean, that's pretty much how most Elton John songs were written.  Bernie Taupin would give Elton some lyrics, and Elton would sit down and put those lyrics to song (and usually in about 20 minutes).

There is no universal "right way".  I firmly believe almost every individual has their own "right way", though.

• Hook 'Em 3

• 4 weeks later...

Part of a ridiculously ambitious work in progress that may never get finished, we'll see.   The goal in this piece of the whole will be to convey anger, strife, conflict and retribution.  Its a relatively simple progression in 13/4 time.  Has a mix of major and minor in it, which I hope lends to the sense of musical conflict.  The solo is probably a scratch that gets replaced.  This is all played with my new Telecaster which is a fucking badass guitar.

Edited by Goredho
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Goredho said:

Part of a ridiculously ambitious work in progress that may never get finished, we'll see.   The goal in this piece of the whole will be to convey anger, strife, conflict and retribution.  Its a relatively simple progression in 13/4 time.  Has a mix of major and minor in it, which I hope lends to the sense of musical conflict.  The solo is probably a scratch that gets replaced.  This is all played with my new Telecaster which is a fucking badass guitar.

Wow.  I really dig this song.  Odd time signatures aren't usually my thing... but this one works for me.  Bravo.

Only thing I'm not liking is the sound of the acoustic (or maybe that's a clean electric?) -- it's kind of thin and buzzy, and it feels like it overwhelms the other rhythm electric (which sounds great).

Very cool tune.

Also, I cannot tell you how much I identify with "ridiculously ambitious work that may never get finished."  If I were to describe the last 3 years of my own creative efforts, that phrase would pretty much sum it up.

Here's to finishing.

50 minutes ago, Paul Wesley said:

Wow.  I really dig this song.  Odd time signatures aren't usually my thing... but this one works for me.  Bravo.

Only thing I'm not liking is the sound of the acoustic (or maybe that's a clean electric?) -- it's kind of thin and buzzy, and it feels like it overwhelms the other rhythm electric (which sounds great).

Very cool tune.

Also, I cannot tell you how much I identify with "ridiculously ambitious work that may never get finished."  If I were to describe the last 3 years of my own creative efforts, that phrase would pretty much sum it up.

Here's to finishing.

Thanks, I appreciate it.  Odd time sigs can still make you bob your head as long as the denominator is 4.  There's still that solid quarter note pulse under everything.  I'll go */8 sometimes, but anything more is really rare for me.  It just winds up seeming mechanical and rigid with so much of my focus being placed on trying to stay in time.

The sound you are calling out is my shitty 12 string emulation.  I just need to buy a real twelve string at some point.  Thanks for reminding me it sounds like a shitty 12 string emulation and I need to just buy a real 12 string at some point :D

And I am glad I am not the only overly ambitious music hobbiest around here. If I finish this whole song, it will have a narrative over 6 distinct movements (with this being one) and probably wind up at over 10 minutes in length.  I have a good start on 4 of them which are at about this same stage.  I'll put together the other two, then start working on the transitions between them and try to make it a coherent whole. 

And that is where my worries lie.  Will it wind up being something greater than the sum of its parts?  Something lesser?  Right now its a narrative idea and leap of faith that I will be able to produce something that will have been worth the effort.  Thanks for the encouragement along the way.

Edited by Goredho
  • Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, Goredho said:

I am loving this as well...and I think i hear the connection to the other section you shot to me.

the 12 string emulation sticks out a bit to me as well but I think you could get away with it if you just put a really good compressor on that strip.

also, i personally really liked the way the solo went with the rest.  i get if you want to tighten and re-record it but i wouldn't chuck it entirely myself.

look forward to hearing more development.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, sidis said:

I am loving this as well...and I think i hear the connection to the other section you shot to me.

the 12 string emulation sticks out a bit to me as well but I think you could get away with it if you just put a really good compressor on that strip.

also, i personally really liked the way the solo went with the rest.  i get if you want to tighten and re-record it but i wouldn't chuck it entirely myself.

look forward to hearing more development.

Thanks.  The feel of the solo is right, but I want to tighten it up when I have the arrangement working with a flow into the final movement.   Right now, I don't know how to wrap it up until I get a transition for the next piece and tie them together.  I'll see about compressing the 12 string emulation more and see if that helps.  Will send you a PM with more info about the concept/narrative.

other than the dynamics control in ozone, i use this compressor and it is excellent for guitar.

https://www.fabfilter.com/products/pro-c-2-compressor-plug-in

you might try the free trial and apply it to see what it does.  if it is worth it, not that expensive and can make a huge difference in gluing everything together in a more professional way.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/27/2021 at 3:02 PM, Goredho said:

that has a VERY Physical Graffiti feel to it, I really like it. Saying something has a Physical Graffiti feel to it, for me, is like saying "you're as nice as my Mom", for reference. 

• Like 1

On 4/27/2021 at 5:02 PM, Paul Wesley said:

you know, someone I respect once said it takes a considerable amount of discipline and grit to finish songs, you may want to try that

I feel that 100%-- like Jimmy was saying, sometimes I sit down with a guitar and unintentionally find some changes and a melody and tag/phrase scream out at me, and sometimes I might even write a complete set of lyrics, but (not sure if this is anyone else's problem) I am much happier imagining how great the song I hear in my head could be as opposed to doing the dirty work of woodshedding it and putting a complete version down on tape. I'm also not doing this for any real reason, so I don't have anyone or anything pushing me if a song gets to 80% and stops loading.

The biggest problem for me other than that sort of fear of failure, i.e., what's in my head is perfect and doesn't take any work to complete ergo it's far superior to what I could produce, is that as soon as I sing something halfway decently, my brain wants to stop right there. You got it, that's as good as you're going to get it, don't do it again because it will probably be worse. That's not real conducive to practice and improvement. 

• Hook 'Em 2