2020-21 Big XII Basketball Thread

21 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

Didn't say that.  I said they're not being bitches about games being cancelled.  I know for a fact that they didn't have #'s to play for the last 18 days due to both COVID cases and contact tracing rules set by the conference.  Some guys that missed in Dec due to contact tracing had to miss again, and they had fewer than the 4 required scholarship players to field a team.  Stupid. 

But they'll play 5 more games to get to 14, with 8 of the 14 being on the road.  

Has everyone tested positive now? Some of them looked ragged last night. Could just be the layoff but also could be lingering effects on the body from actually being sick. Teague looked worn out, Cryer got earlier and more playing time than normal and Jonathan was a scratch.

Not losing after being down 17 to a team that seemingly couldn't miss a 3 for much of the game showed some resiliency to me when they could have just folded it up and said "losses happen". 

• Like 1

It really does feel like the conference is protecting Baylor given their ranking.  Why not have the two most covid lax teams in Baylor and WVU play each other?  Now osu has to hole up in a hotel in Waco, then Morgantown, then KC for the conference tourney and again for (hopefully) the NCAA.  Team will be ragged and possibly injured by the time even the conference tourney.  

19 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I've been punched out for awhile, honestly.  I haven't watched an entire game this year.  I've only watched portions of maybe 3 conference games, 1 random non con, and 5 minutes of the Iowa game.  I've never been less interested in ISU basketball in my sports fan life.  There's just no hope of anything until we make a coaching change.

As long as this TV money is going directly to one of Campbell's assistants, I'm good with it.

Why don't you guys call up the Mayor and bring him back?  He must be miserable in Nebraska and he has almost no shot of ever winning there (checks ESPN app to confirm they still stuck.  Yep, 1-13 in conference).  Did he burn some bridges there on his way out or do you think that's what's going to happen in the next few years? 

Just now, Go Pokes said:

Why don't you guys call up the Mayor and bring him back?  He must be miserable in Nebraska and he has almost no shot of ever winning there (checks ESPN app to confirm they still stuck.  Yep, 1-13 in conference).  Did he burn some bridges there on his way out or do you think that's what's going to happen in the next few years? 

There are some serious back channels rumors about this happening.  I'd be all for it.  I don't know that he'd quite have the same ground breaking approach he did 10 years ago, but holy shit it has to be better than this shit show.

He and ISU were a perfect fit.  He's struggled since he's left, and so have we.

There are some serious back channels rumors about this happening.  I'd be all for it.  I don't know that he'd quite have the same ground breaking approach he did 10 years ago, but holy shit it has to be better than this shit show.
He and ISU were a perfect fit.  He's struggled since he's left, and so have we.

I assumed someone in Ames had to have figured this out already. I figured it out for free, so I’d hope the guy getting paid to figure it out had as well. I bet it happens this off season.
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

I assumed someone in Ames had to have figured this out already. I figured it out for free, so I’d hope the guy getting paid to figure it out had as well. I bet it happens this off season.

The only other serious candidate is UNLV HC TJ Otzelberger.  He was Fred's right hand man, is married to ISU WBB royalty Alison Lacey, and has had some (but not enough, IMO) success as an HC between South Dakota State and UNLV.

He was the lead recruiter for a lot of the guys y'all probably hated over the years.  Niang, Morris, Thomas, etc.

Either option is better than watching Prohm squeeze the life out of this program for another year.  I'm truly thankful for COVID restricting attendance this year.  Hilton would be an absolute morgue I suspect.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

The only other serious candidate is UNLV HC TJ Otzelberger.  He was Fred's right hand man, is married to ISU WBB royalty Alison Lacey, and has had some (but not enough, IMO) success as an HC between South Dakota State and UNLV.

He was the lead recruiter for a lot of the guys y'all probably hated over the years.  Niang, Morris, Thomas, etc.

Either option is better than watching Prohm squeeze the life out of this program for another year.  I'm truly thankful for COVID restricting attendance this year.  Hilton would be an absolute morgue I suspect.

Dude had it going at SDSU. I really thought he was going to turn around UNLV back to Lon Kruger level UNLV, but the early results aren't promising.

Edited by SimonBolivar

50 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Dude had it going at SDSU. I really thought he was going to turn around UNLV back to Lon Kruger level UNLV, but the early results aren't promising.

He inherited Mike Daum at SDSU and that was a big part of his success.  I think he's recruiting well to UNLV on paper, but he's having a rough year this year.

He was our AD's first choice to replace Hoiberg, but the university President stepped in and pulled rank, forcing the AD to conduct an outside coaching search which brought us Prohm.

I just can't with the NCAA anymore. Literally the same person doing the same self-interested stuff (worse if this guy is to be believed) at a different school. We get post season ban, they don't. How has this horrible organization gotten by so long being so absurdely terrible and unfair? Because they go easy on bluebloods and only hammer programs like us? What will it take for these pieces of shit to act like normal people? If our postseason ban isn't lifted I will burn some shit down. I'm so angry at this shit and nothing iis being done about it.

image.thumb.png.eab953b695f5f338faf09e6b2650159d.png

Edited by 'stache

3 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I just can't with the NCAA anymore. Literally the same person doing the same self-interested stuff (worse if this guy is to be believed) at a different school. We get post season ban, they don't. How has this horrible organization gotten by so long being so absurdely terrible and unfair? Because they go easy on bluebloods and only hammer programs like us? What will it take for these pieces of shit to act like normal people? If our postseason ban isn't lifted I will burn some shit down. I'm so angry at this shit and nothing iis being done about it.

I'm down

the-office-in-utica-6fc89be32db277cc.jpg

2 hours ago, 'stache said:

The way I interpreted this is our punishment will be GREATLY reduced once they announce the decision on our appeal.   I don't know if that will happen or not, but it's the only way I can prevent myself from having a meltdown and destroying my office.   It actually make sense, which scares me since the NCAA rarely makes sense.  Hopefully, whatever argument we presented at the appeal made them realized how ridiculously out of whack our punishment was.  So rather than sticking with that stance and having to go through 10 more appeals, they've adjusted their scale and we will have no postseason ban and no scholarships lost.   Nothing we can do about it for now, so just tell yourself that so we aren't seeing you on the news tonight.  

More good news. It’s not related to the FBI thing, but at least it shows the NCAA is currently willing to correct their mistakes.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/appeals-committee-overturns-georgia-tech-men-s-basketball-scholarship-recruiting-penalties

3 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

😂😂😂 blOU Reaves begging for a foul call... would have gotten it against TEXAS...

Okie Lite  90    blOU    88      47secs left

Cowboys have the ball

Missed shot, Okie Lite gets rebound and calls timeout

Okie Lite  90    blOU    88      19.7 secs left Overtime

2 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Missed shot, Okie Lite gets rebound and calls timeout

Okie Lite  90    blOU    88      19.7 secs left Overtime

Clutch... 63% free throw shooter makes 2 free throws for OSU.

gooners miss shot, okie lite rebounds and gets fouled

Okie Lite 94      blOU.  90     FINAL in OT in NORMAN !!!

4 minutes ago, UncleCharlie said:

Cunningham needs to come back for 1 more year. Needs to get physically ready for an 82 game schedule.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Not happening bro. He just sealed the top overall pick on national TV. His only weakness is ball control, too many sloppy turnovers.

2 minutes ago, UncleCharlie said:

Cunningham needs to come back for 1 more year. Needs to get physically ready for an 82 game schedule.

giphy.gif

Cunningham just scored an easy 40 on blOU -- granted it included OT but best B12 player since KD

(Please Turn off your Tapatalk signature "UncleCharlie")

ttJsJOShLDaHVl7x6qPMPJrQn%2BHinXhM8vA7nA

Geez how many OT games we gonna play this year?  I had kids solo and only watched game tracker...but just had a ‘here we go again’ feeling with 4m left 2H.  We’ve gotta have played a whole extra game worth of OT.  

Edit:  Guess it’s just four total, with one double...so 25m extra.  Just feels like every game comes down to the wire or OT. 

Edited by Homercles

1 hour ago, Homercles said:

Geez how many OT games we gonna play this year?  I had kids solo and only watched game tracker...but just had a ‘here we go again’ feeling with 4m left 2H.  We’ve gotta have played a whole extra game worth of OT.  

Edit:  Guess it’s just four total, with one double...so 25m extra.  Just feels like every game comes down to the wire or OT. 

Good win, my man.  Not saying that sarcastically.  

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Good win, my man.  Not saying that sarcastically.  

When y’all got Lon Kruger I knew ou hoops was going to get back into regular contention.  Your team didn’t quit and ran into the future top draft pick finally putting two halves together...and it still took OT.  Good game yourselves.  

The entire wretched state is better when both teams are good on the hardwood.  Kruger is definitely a better coach than Boynton, but I like where things are trending.  My days on campus from 98-02, bedlam basketball tickets were the hottest, most expensive, most unobtanium tickets every year...hope it gets somewhat close to that again. 

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Really enjoyed watching that Okie Lite vs blOU game...

Even better that the Cowboys won at Norman...

blOU SUCKS !!! 😋

Not on hornsfans buddy.  We all know Shaka and UT hoops underachieves like, literally, nobody else.  But yes - OU sucks.  Congrats you pass the sobriety test.  

1 hour ago, Homercles said:

When y’all got Lon Kruger I knew ou hoops was going to get back into regular contention.  Your team didn’t quit and ran into the future top draft pick finally putting two halves together...and it still took OT.  Good game yourselves.  

The entire wretched state is better when both teams are good on the hardwood.  Kruger is definitely a better coach than Boynton, but I like where things are trending.  My days on campus from 98-02, bedlam basketball tickets were the hottest, most expensive, most unobtanium tickets every year...hope it gets somewhat close to that again. 

Lon is amazing.  Sad he’s underappreciated bc the vast majority of our fans our mouth breathers.  
Not a homo but I was admittedly gay for those early 90’s Sutton teams playing at the old Gallagher Iba...was at more than a few of those games there.  He was an asshole but RIP.  

No ball for what, 3 weeks? Now spend Saturday night in Kansas-land, fly direct to Morgantown to play WVU on Tuesday. Fly home to play OSU on Thursday and wrap it up with Tech on Sunday. 4 good teams in 8 days should be an excellent warm up for any tournament. 

Man, you’ve actually given me hope that we’ll beat BU.

So who's gonna tune into Bedlam 2: Methhead Boogaloo tonight? I actually think OU wins. They're gonna come out pissed off and we might be a little tired and hungover from the big win. We are prone to long stretches of shittiness and somehow managed to avoid it Saturday. They're gonna hound Cade Cunningham, and while he is good at getting teammates involved, he also can be really careless with the ball, so I expect a lot of turnovers from him and something less than 40 points. The key will be Kalib Boone, Avery Anderson, and Bryce Williams. If they are on, we have a pretty good chance at the sweep.

Edited by 'stache