2020-21 Big XII Basketball Thread

I probably won’t but we get up at 5a and if I start watching it I’ll be committed, and all NCAA basketball games must take 3 hours now due to shit refs.  Naturally I probably will get in bed at 845, then doze for 15m before checking my phone over and over.  

I am a shitty fan I guess...I expect to lose.  It took Cade dropping a lifer of a game and someone like Boone nailing both FTs to win, so I doubt we repeat that magic.  It takes me years in a sport before I expect to win, which so far is only really baseball, golf, wrestling and...uhh...equestrian.  

Then again this team is more than Cunningham and I really like Boyntons youthful energy with a Sutton to help him grow into the job.  Only old farts like us remember the Head Scowler pacing the sidelines, the ole GIA where you’d need to cover your ears to avoid hearing loss, and animals like Imac owning the court...so I’m hopeful that HCMB can start a new culture there, and I don’t get the snake oil vibes that Underwood gave me even before he snuck off. 

I think he identifies well with the players and his youthful exuberance (got chills watching him lead the osu Cowboys chant after beating Tech) can be contagious.  Recognizing we have a once a decade player here, I still think he can recruit well if he builds off this season.  I’d still trade him for Lon Kruger but may not feel that way much longer.  

So tldr: I don’t think we recapture the magic tonight and may go 0-fer the rest of the way, but the future has glimpses of a sunrise in the most brutal mbb league in the country.  

You're a better fan than me if you got the scumbag vibe from underfuck before he bolted. I seriously thought he was a lifer. Small town Kansas guy with a hunger to win. Sound familiar? But I'm all in on Boynton now, as long as he can keep these guys (minus Cade obviously) together and bring in some more badasses, which I think he can do since he connects well with young players. Unless we completely fall apart down the stretch here I think he gets a nice payday from Mike Holder. Not a travis ford albatross but a nice bump and some security. As an East Coast guy I don't think he'll be around forever, but just a few more years with a few more badasses and I'll be happy and support him after he leaves, as long as he does it the right way, which I expect he will, and not in the shitty underfuck way.

Oh I was devastated when he left.  He even looked like he’d be the next ‘old guy coaching on the sidelines forever just down 35 from Kansas’.  But he also struck me as a smooth talker biding his time...I dunno, certainly didn’t forecast him leaving.  Just have a better feeling about Boynton being genuine. 

I liked Boynton from the get-go.  Puts in the work.  Seems to have made the turn with the program. Doing things the right way.

Just what the league needed, right?  Another viable squad.  

You had better be a tough motherfucker to coach in the Big XII or you're going to get boatraced on a regular basis.

Boynton's biggest problem has been roster turnover. We've been "young" his entire tenure, and not because of one-and-dones. It's been discipline problems and recruiting misses (leading to transfers). That's why I keep saying he needs to keep these non-Cade guys around and add another badass in recruiting.

Edited by 'stache

It’s def nice to see Bedlam basketball be a factor again and front page of ESPN.  

Also not sure why Moncrieffe is out there so much.  Almost cost us the first game.  

And no I’m not watching.  I’d kill to be there though, win or lose...graduated on that court and was very grateful to watch a lot of games on the old and the new.  

Edited by Homercles

15 minutes ago, 'stache said:

We're gonna lose this game on freethrows. Maybe fatigue from the big game just a few days ago? We were a lot better than average last game, so I guess we're back to shooting like shit from the line.

Y'all are playing better defense than OU.  Gotta capitalize at the other end.

30 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Boynton's biggest problem has been roster turnover. We've been "young" his entire tenure, and not because of one-and-dones. It's been discipline problems and recruiting misses (leading to transfers). That's why I keep saying he needs to keep these non-Cade guys around and add another badass in recruiting.

I love Rondel though...as he misses 

Edited by Homercles

5 minutes ago, Homercles said:

It’s def nice to see Bedlam basketball be a factor again and front page of ESPN.  

Also not sure why Moncrieffe is out there so much.  Almost cost us the first game.  

And no I’m not watching.  I’d kill to be there though, win or lose...graduated on that court and was very grateful to watch a lot of games on the old and the new.  

7 pts 12 rebounds, I think he contributed to the win

1 minute ago, Homercles said:

I love Rondel though...as he misses 

Same. He or Avery Anderson have star potential.

13 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I really wish I didn't have a rooting interest, otherwise these would have been two great games. But here I sit a fucking mess because ou seriously can't miss from 3 and we keep turning the fucking ball over.

Swear you and I are the same person. 

Here comes a heart breaker three, and lose in OT. 

6 minutes ago, Homercles said:

Holy fuck!!!  We did it Stache, all our negative Nancy typical poke Everyman energy we’ve shown here for years was finally productive...we just needed the likely #1 draft pick.  Easy right?

He's the most obvious #1 pick since that guy that didn't go #1.

So maybe likely is the right word. 

3 minutes ago, 'stache said:

And Ice Likekele didn't play either games. Hope he's back for the Baylor game, cause fuck baylor, i'm pumped, fuck em.

any background on the back and forth between Cunningham and Likele in the 1st half when Cunningham was seemingly giving him him shit, "You can talk!!!" when there was a defensive breakdown on their end.  Then they cut the mike right away.  

I'd much rather listen to the players than the announcers.

Was about to go find and torture Fran with his jinx attempts at those last two FTs...like wtf man.  Anyone else at the line besides Cade and I’d have started the car.  

Did get chills when Cunningham started driving to nail a shot in the lane with Frans ‘you know what time it is’ call...next run through dishes for a 3.  

Edited by Homercles

49 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

It was hilariously painful to read you two torture yourselves. Seriously, as a former sufferer, seek help. Better yourself. Life is too short. Enjoy the games for what they are. We’re not going to blow it every game.

image.thumb.jpeg.bb61d76d794ed5f77bbe8d864a702783.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, slorch said:

I liked Boynton from the get-go.  Puts in the work.  Seems to have made the turn with the program. Doing things the right way.

Just what the league needed, right?  Another viable squad.  

You had better be a tough motherfucker to coach in the Big XII or you're going to get boatraced on a regular basis.

I think this is Prohm's biggest flaw.

He's just way too fucking nice of a guy to survive coaching in this league.  Hoiberg was calm, cool, and collected, but he definitely wasn't Mr. Niceguy, and he's been immersed in Big 8/12 basketball culture for literally as long as he can remember.  Prohm was a total outsider with no connections to this league or part of the country, and while he seems like a great person, he just isn't wired for this.

One of the reasons I think WVU fits so well is Huggins is built for this shit.  WVU was as much of a cultural outlier in the Big East as they are a geographic one here.

I also just wanted to say that I really like Boynton and would like to see OSU be a relevant program with GIA getting back to it's old self.

Of course, more than anything I just want us back where we should be, more than anything.  And in case anyone thinks I have crazy expectations "where we should be" = top half of the league, pissing everyone off in KC, and either making noise in March when we're underseeded, or shitting the bed in laughable fashion when we're overseeded.

I wasn't really paying attention to their personnel, but I didn't realize that OU's depth sucks. That's going to be a problem for them in tournament play. Our depth has become a strength, especially if we can get Likekele back. From the Daily Oklahoman:

"In fact, the Bedlam Series calls into question OU’s depth. The Sooners’ minutes played Monday: Gibson 39 minutes, Manek 38, De’Vion Harmon 36, Reaves 35 and Harkless 33. No one else reached double digits. OU’s three players off the bench combined for 19 minutes, more turnovers than points (3-2), one steal and no baskets, no rebounds, no assists and no blocked shots.

Even without Likekele, OSU’s bench shined. Keylan Boone and Moncrieffe combined for 42 minutes, 16 points, 6-of-8 shooting, eight rebounds and three assists."

Bubble Watch writer Eamonn Brennan at the Athletic said "fuck it" and locked up every Big 12 team that has a decent shot at making the tournament.

https://theathletic.com/2419846/2021/03/02/bubble-watch-ncaa-tournament-usc-oklahoma-state-texas-purdue/

Spoiler

Let’s just lock up the whole damn conference, shall we?

Believe us: We tried to talk ourselves out of this. We looked extremely hard at the three new locks today, picking apart each of their résumés, dwelling on where things could go wrong. True story: On Monday, we wrote almost every other piece of Bubble Watch before circling back to the Big 12. We didn’t know what to do with it in the morning, and we had the excuse of the just so we could spend more time overanalyzing the Big 12 section and how best to address it. Here’s the thing: All of these teams are going to the NCAA Tournament. They just are.

Are we slightly worried about Texas? Sure. The Longhorns are coming off a loss and have three games left in the regular season: at Iowa State, at Oklahoma, at TCU. Two of those would qualify as bad losses. An 0-3 finish would make them 14-10 and 8-9 heading into the Big 12 tournament. In theory, the potential for a minor collapse is there. And yet the Longhorns are holding strong in most projected brackets as a No. 4 seed; they swept Kansas and won at West Virginia and have no bad losses. Picking a couple up now would hurt their seed, sure, but it wouldn’t keep them out of the tournament. Texas Tech has had a top-15 NET ranking pretty much all season; three of its five Quadrant 1 wins came on the road; the Red Raiders just beat Texas; they likewise have no bad losses. Even Oklahoma State, with four straight wins prior to Monday night’s return rivalry matchup with Oklahoma, did enough to close the gap between itself and the rest of this always tournament-bound league, and its remaining matchups (at Baylor, at WVU) aren’t going to hurt their chances regardless. (The one thing that could, of course, is an NCAA ruling on their postseason ban appeal. Let’s cross that bridge when we come to it.)

We’re excessively cautious here at Bubble Watch; we really do try not to lock teams if there’s any chance something could go awry. These teams are all going to the tournament. The end.

http://bball.notnothing.net/big12.php?sport=mbb

If every team who is favored to win wins, the tournament stacks up at the below.

First Round:

8/9 game - TCU/KSU

7/10 game - Tech/ISU

Semifinals:

4/5 game - OU/Texas

3/6 game - Kansas/OSU

1 Baylor plays winner of TCU/KSU

2 WV plays winner of Kansas/OSU

Edited by Js1

I think they should cancel the Big XII tournament and just roll, fully healthy into the March Madness.

Even sickly lil ole Baylor.

But $$$$$$$$$$$$

One thing about it, neither Beard nor Tadlock in baseball give one solitary fuck about conf tourney.

Agreed.  Fuck the conference tournament.  Barring ISU or KSU somehow winning it to make the tournament or Texas/Tech/OU/Kansas making a run and winning it for better seeding, I think the Big 12 is close to already as seeded as possible.

Baylor - 1
WV - 2
Kansas - 3
Texas/OU - 4
Tech/Ok State - 5

Though Lunardi has Texas 4, OSU 4 and OU 5 with Tech 6.

Edited by Js1

It’s quite possible osu loses last two games and OU wins out, but as it stands I’d be pissed if OU got a 4 / osu a 5 given:  quad 1 wins, overall record, h2h results and overall resume.  But I’m biased...and still pissed how OU managed to float so high for so long, seems only B1G teams move up after big wins the last couple weeks.  

11 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I disagree. They should have scrapped this week's makeup games and taken the week to prepare for the tournament. 

I think it was more important to get as many conference games in as possible to put everyone on equal footing (17/18 game schedules) than have a bunch of teams who played any number between 11 and 18 games.  A 10-1 Big 12 champ would be annoying as fuck. 

30 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I disagree. They should have scrapped this week's makeup games and taken the week to prepare for the tournament. 

I get your point...sort of.

I value regular season games waaaaaay the fuck more than the Conf Tournament.  If you meant scrapping the make up games AND the Big XII tourney, I could agree with it.  Big XII teams could all pulla  SEC November in football and schedule a cupcake to break up the monotony.  KU already did that since they completed their league slate on time.

Edited by slorch