2020-21 Big XII Basketball Thread

That’s a valid point. But Shaka to Beard is a lot different than an internal promotion. Unless all those guys were just there for Beard and no one on his coaching staff, it says something about their desire to play for Adams

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 'stache said:

If he doesn't get drafted he will be playing for a different college next season. If you were being sarcastic, sorry for not catching it.

The way he wrote it...yes I was making light of his "process," as it was all in one sentence.

He should have just said good-fucking-bye.

Good luck at your next school, dude.

1 hour ago, HookEm said:

I wouldn't freak out too much about losing players and recruits if I were Tech.  There are currently 1,905 players in the transfer portal across all levels of college basketball.  Just about every team in the nation is undergoing huge turnover.  Our own team could see just about a full reboot.

I keep telling myself this, as well.  Nobody outside of true insiders knew who the fuck Matt Mooney or Tyreek Owens were, and in one season they became major contributors in Tech's best run ever.  Some of the players leaving, could also be blessings in disguise. Shannon was probably leaving regardless. .McClung got beat up against the WVU's, KU's, and Baylor's of this league.  I also liked his effort/ motor, but his decision-making wasn't always the best.  I don't see how he gets drafted at all unless he magically refines his shot.  Would love to have seen him play another season in red &black, but alas, it is not to be. Kyler Edwards has his moments.  Joke is that he always came up big when we didn't need it.  He was very inconsistent to say the least. Peavy always seamed on the verge of exploding. He's athletic as hell.  On the defensive end, virtually every game he'd give about 1.5 stupid fouls on opponents' rebounds or whatever.  Maybe that's a shot at Adams' coaching defense, IDK.  I do know it got old as hell seeing Peavy foul a lot without gaining anything out of it. If he turns the corner offensively, his ceiling is very, very high.  He came in as a possible one-and-done, and didn't come close.

Tech has a good nucleus around which to build.  They've certainly rebuilt rosters in short order the past 3-4 years.  'Twill be interesting to see if Mark Adams can build on the program's momentum. Out of those 1905 transfer players, what percentage are worth a fuck?  Are they open to hard coaching, because that isn't leaving the program.  The players who stayed aren't going to let newcomers drop in and pussify what they've worked so hard to build/ become a part of. 

I am truly looking forward to next season.  We may still not have every answer after 2021, at least with regard to Adams and Tech Men's basketball. Maybe someone will pick us seventh again...or last.  We'll see.

11 hours ago, Satchel said:

Why would Waco be easier to recruit to than Lubbock? I don’t get that.

Location, location, location. The city of Waco isn't easier than the city of Lubbock. The part that is easier is the Ferrell Center is 94 miles to Dallas,  100 miles to Austin, and 182 miles to Houston. United Supermarkets Arena to Dallas is 348 miles, 375 miles to Austin, and 518 miles to Houston. 

I think that's a more important factor in football than basketball though. It seems there are more basketball players that are traveling far from home for school. 

15 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Because it’s closer to Dallas, Houston and Austin.  Lubbock is in the middle of nowhere.  

3 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

Location, location, location. The city of Waco isn't easier than the city of Lubbock. The part that is easier is the Ferrell Center is 94 miles to Dallas,  100 miles to Austin, and 182 miles to Houston. United Supermarkets Arena to Dallas is 348 miles, 375 miles to Austin, and 518 miles to Houston. 

I think that's a more important factor in football than basketball though. It seems there are more basketball players that are traveling far from home for school. 

I still don’t get why proximity to population centers is necessarily a selling point. Lubbock has all of the advantages of a large college town. You don’t have to drive to Dallas to eat at the Cheesecake Factory.

4 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

Lubbock is still kind of expensive to fly to and 1.5-3 hours of driving is much easier than 5-8 hours. 

47 minutes ago, Satchel said:

I still don’t get why proximity to population centers is necessarily a selling point. Lubbock has all of the advantages of a large college town. You don’t have to drive to Dallas to eat at the Cheesecake Factory.

Lubbock has a metro pop of around 311k to Waco's 273k so there isn't that much of a difference in size and I'm sure your average recruit that only sees the campus and few curated highlights wouldn't be able to see the difference. 

4 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

Lubbock has a metro pop of around 311k to Waco's 273k so there isn't that much of a difference in size and I'm sure your average recruit that only sees the campus and few curated highlights wouldn't be able to see the difference. 

Lubbock is the third largest city in the Big 12 (263,00 as of 2020) and is the quintessential college town. Apparently, a good number of the students who attend Tech agree:

Micah Peavy commits to...wait for it....

TCU.     but why?.gif

Also Mark Adams picks up flip from prior USC commit and Last Chance U guy, KJ Allen, generally regarded as a 3* guy.

2 hours ago, Satchel said:

Lubbock is the third largest city in the Big 12 (263,00 as of 2020) and is the quintessential college town. Apparently, a good number of the students who attend Tech agree:

Whose record? Also if you’re letting in a greater amount of people of course there’s going to be higher numbers than the past. 

On 4/13/2021 at 7:58 PM, slorch said:

Micah Peavy commits to...wait for it....

TCU.     but why?.gif

Also Mark Adams picks up flip from prior USC commit and Last Chance U guy, KJ Allen, generally regarded as a 3* guy.

Weird get for the Frogs. Guessing he wanted to play closer to home, dad, etc. 

Excited about our new assistant coaches. 9.95 boys on the Tech board are bullish on the roster. My expectations are at .500 ball. 

Chandler Jacobs, D-II All-American, LSC DPOTY, and Academic POTY commits to Tech, transferring from Dallas Baptist.

Averaged 20.8ppg, 7.4 reb, 2.7assists, and 2.5 steals while also shooting 45% from 3.

Interesting dynamic...with obvious "who'd he do it against"  risk, but could fit right in Mark Adams' wheelhouse too.

What a crock:

Fostering a Christ-first, others-second team model, the Baylor University Bears won their first NCAA men’s basketball national title earlier this month, completing a championship turnaround over 17 years after scandal and murder rocked the program. 

But unlike many other Division I basketball teams, the Bears took steps to ensure Christ was at the center of their program, not selfish ambition.

https://www.christianpost.com/news/baylor-coach-credits-christ-centered-program-after-championship.html?uid=09f617e08b&utm_source=The+Christian+Post+List&utm_campaign=CP-Newsletter&utm_medium=email

• Haha 2

On 4/19/2021 at 9:35 PM, Satchel said:

What a crock:

Fostering a Christ-first, others-second team model, the Baylor University Bears won their first NCAA men’s basketball national title earlier this month, completing a championship turnaround over 17 years after scandal and murder rocked the program. 

But unlike many other Division I basketball teams, the Bears took steps to ensure Christ was at the center of their program, not selfish ambition.

https://www.christianpost.com/news/baylor-coach-credits-christ-centered-program-after-championship.html?uid=09f617e08b&utm_source=The+Christian+Post+List&utm_campaign=CP-Newsletter&utm_medium=email

I dont even have to read it. They won because they finally played defense and offensive efficiency was superb. 

I've always thought that Baylor had the potential to be an absolute powerhouse in sports.  45-50% of Black Americans identify as Baptist - and it is probably higher than that in Baylor's recruiting grounds.  Think about what a monumental advantage that could be.  They should be able to use religion as a recruiting tool in a way that even Notre Dame couldn't touch.  Odds are that just about every key recruit will have a parent or grandparent that is Baptist (not to mention the player's beliefs). 

But nope.  Instead they have a reputation for rape, drug dealing and murder... with maybe a little cheating thrown in for good measure.  All the while casting an air of religious superiority. F em.

1 hour ago, HookEm said:

I thought McClung pulled his name out of the portal?  I think it is NBA or Tech for McClung now.

McClung likely pulled his name out because he would have had to sit a year since he already transferred once and had a waiver approved.  Once the NCAA announced the one-time transfer rule was retroactive, meaning if you did it already and didn't sit out, you would this time, it didn't make a lot of sense for McClung. 

On 4/24/2021 at 4:45 AM, slorch said:

Nm.  answered above...

Turns out Mac like could have gotten a second waiver due to the coaching change at Tech, but opted against it.   I'm glad - he makes Tech fun to root against because he's such a douchey little flopper. 

Yeah, it would be much more impactful if TJ Shannon doesn’t get drafted/ go G-league.  However unlikely that may be, I’d take him back in a heartbeat over McClung.

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

Turns out Mac like could have gotten a second waiver due to the coaching change at Tech, but opted against it.   I'm glad - he makes Tech fun to root against because he's such a douchey little flopper. 

But I was told Mark Adams was the real coach and he remains there.

On 4/28/2021 at 3:01 PM, 'stache said:

Looks like he didn't play a lot of minutes but has a lot of potential. We definitely need depth inside. Unless the sanctions are upheld soon with a scholarship loss, we should have one scholarship left to give.

image.thumb.png.040e579db0a1deac9ac7ebf755135d23.png

He is very athletic and by all accounts a great kid, but was very bad defensively which was not flying very well under Beard/Adams. Definitely has potential to be a role player, though. Still hated to see him leave but it's probably best for him I guess.

aggie sucks as usual, but I believe that TCU has decided to drop bags, because this losing shit has gotten old and it’s cheaper that getting a new coach...

TCU adds two more D-I transfers in Texas A&M's Emanuel Miller, Cashius McNeilly

FORT WORTH, Texas -- TCU's roster rebuild is up to seven Division I transfers with the addition of two players from Texas A&M, including the Aggies' scoring and rebounding leader, Emanuel Miller.

The Horned Frogs announced Friday the signings of 6-foot-7 sophomore forward Miller and 6-4 freshman guard Cashius McNeilly, both natives of Scarborough, Ontario. They join an incoming class of eight that also includes a top junior college center but no high school signees.

TCU is coming off a 12-14 season, the first losing record in coach Jamie Dixon's 18 seasons, the past five at his alma mater after 13 at Pittsburgh. The Frogs were 16-16 in 2019-20, the first time one of his teams didn't have a winning season.

Miller averaged 16.2 points and 8.2 rebounds per game last season, ranking seventh in the SEC in scoring and second in rebounding. He also led the league in making 57.1% of his field goal attempts.

McNeilly didn't play last season with the Aggies. He averaged 10.9 points, 3.3 rebounds and 2.0 assists while making half of his 3-point shots while representing Canada at the FIBA U17 World Cup last summer.

TCU's incoming class also includes guards Damion Baughfrom Memphis, Xavier Cork from Western Carolina, Maxwell Evansfrom Vanderbilt, Micah Peavyfrom Texas Tech and Shahada Wells from Texas-Arlington. The Frogs also signed Navarro College center Souleymane Doumbia, one of the top-rated juco big men.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/31406395/tcu-adds-two-more-d-transfers-texas-emanuel-miller-cashius-mcneilly