2020-21 Big XII Basketball Thread

This shit is unreal. I could have counted on one hand the number of times in my entire life I thought officiating actually changed the outcome of a game of college basketball before this season, and I can point to at least 3 of Tech's games this year alone.

Dude. You complain about officiating every game. We got shitty calls too. The shit evens out. Unless your goal is to go full aggy, you should consider giving it a rest.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

Dude. You complain about officiating every game. We got shitty calls too. The shit evens out. Unless your goal is to go full aggy, you should consider giving it a rest.

No it hasn't.  Not even remotely close.  Should have been a blatant charge on OSU's 2nd to last possession in regulation when they subsequently went up 2.  Called the foul on defender who was set and sitting there waiting  well outside the circle.

Avery Benson got fucking murdered on the fast break with the body by two defenders.   No fucking call.

This shit is deliberate now.

Amazingly enough, nobody was bitching about the officiating in the KU game.   Truly Phog Magical for once.  The 2 WVU games, the Baylor game, and this game tonight were all fucked up down the stretch for Tech and it's not because theyre fading or not playing right.

Edited by slorch

7 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

Honestly not before this year.

It did not even out at all, bro, don't be silly. You had 4 fouls in the first 5 minutes of the 2nd half and then committed 3 fouls for the remaining 20 including overtime? Yeah that shit doesn't happen.

No it hasn't.  Not even remotely close.  Should have been a blatant charge on OSU's 2nd to last possession in regulation when they subsequently went up 2.  Called the foul on defender who was set and sitting there waiting  well outside the circle.
Avery Benson got fucking murdered on the fast break with the body by two defenders.   No fucking call.

This shit is deliberate now.

Amazingly enough, nobody was bitching about the officiating in the KU game.   Truly Phog Magical for once.  The 2 WVU games, the Baylor game, and this game tonight were all fucked up down the stretch for Tech and it's not because theyre fading or not playing right.

Are you talking about when Benson was called for a block on Anderson with 32.7 seconds left?
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I loved that the Fran was like wait a minute... and they never showed a replay 

They didn't show a bunch of replays on close plays.   That( non)  step out of bounds was just insane.

We're not griping about Okie Lite or they way they played.  Hell, they played their asses off it was a clean game, albeit a little physical late( it should be.)   It's not an indictment of them in any way.  I made a comment about gorilla ball at the end of regulation.  That was when they killed Benson and no call was made.  It wasn't dirty, but it damned sure should have been a 2 shot foul in the act of shooting.  I'm all about giving the foul and making the offense pay for driving the lane or whatever... the call STILL needs to be made when it's a foul.

Edited by slorch

That call was so shit. Doug Sermons fucking sucks.
In a 22 minute span, you were called for 3 total fouls, and the FT differential was 22-4. That shit does not even out, no matter how many times you say the words.

What 22 min period was that? I’m looking at the play-by-play on ESPN and on the last 10 min of regulation, we were called for 3 fouls and TT was called for 5. In OT, McClung had two fouls in the first minute and that was it other than when TT had to foul at the end. The first 10 min of the 2nd half, it was 7 on TT and 4 on OSU.

Doesn’t seem that bad.

7 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

What 22 min period was that? I’m looking at the play-by-play on ESPN and on the last 10 min of regulation, we were called for 3 fouls and TT was called for 5. In OT, McClung had two fouls in the first minute and that was it other than when TT had to foul at the end. The first 10 min of the 2nd half, it was 7 on TT and 4 on OSU.

Doesn’t seem that bad.

You had 4 fouls in the first nearly 4 minutes of the 2nd half, you were called for 3 for the rest of the game, nearly 22 minutes of game time including OT.

Edit: To be exact, Cade Cunningham's 4th foul (and OSU's 4th team foul) came with 16:48 left on the clock in the 2nd half. For the rest of the game (that's 21:48 of game time, counting OT) you were called for 3 total fouls.

Edited by Brian Fantana

They didn't show a bunch of replays on close plays.   That( non)  step out of bounds was just insane.

We're not griping about Okie Lite or they way they played.  Hell, they played their asses off it was a clean game, albeit a little physical late( it should be.)   It's not an indictment of them in any way.  I made a comment about gorilla ball at the end of regulation.  That was when they killed Benson and no call was made.  It wasn't dirty, but it damned sure should have been a 2 shot foul in the act of shooting.  I'm all about giving the foul and making the offense pay for driving the lane or whatever... the call STILL needs to be made when it's a foul.

Oh I know. It just seems like you guys think it’s worse than it really is. No matter what the fouls were, going through the play by play, I saw a shit load of Player X Turnover. Player Y missed lay up. By both teams. It was there for either of us to win. I don’t feel like the refs decided it by any stretch. Well, any more than they do every other Big XII game.

Tech has nobody who can create offense outside of McClung. That's why they lost. Their offense has good ball movement but everyone is afraid to do anything with it. Only call i had a problem with was the one near the end where the Ok St guy had an out of control take and threw up a weak shot that didnt even hit the backboard that resulted in a foul, don't like to see that in the last 30 seconds of the game. That and the Ok St guy getting a turnover when he didnt step OB.

Edited by Pam Cummings

Meh. TJ Shannon and McCullar do fine on the offensive end. Santos-Silva can get it going inside, but admittedly throws up a lot of wild shots. He almost always is playing at a height disadvantage, and he’s no Charles Barkley, for sure.

I think McClung early in the season was being quite the little flopper and kind of has built a reputation of that as the season has progressed. Now teams are beating the shit out of him to keep them from getting shots, and he’s not getting the calls. There’s virtually no other scorer in the league that doesn’t get the calls on plays like he makes. I feel like it has bled into the officiating of the whole team.

Maybe that will change when the real tournament starts

Edited by slorch

Refs swallowed their whistles all night, lots of banging around and hand slapping with no calls. The worst calls I recall were calling Isaiah Anderson out of bounds when he very clearly was not, and giving Cade an and-one on what looked like a charge. We have players but turnovers are going to kill us in the postseason if we don't get that shit under control. It might even cost Cade the top overall pick, he is just so damn careless with the ball sometimes and seems to often not feel the double team coming and they strip the ball from him. If the NCAA comes out and upholds the postseason ban this late into the season I'll literally burn everything to the fucking ground.

45 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Fran also mentioned he’s shot like shit the last few weeks.  

It hasn't been great but that's what happens when teams can double you all day and not have to worry too much about getting beaten by someone else. Tech has to find a secondary scorer to take some of that pressure off. 

I like their team and the way they play but their roster just seems to be lacking that one piece that would make them a truly dangerous tournament team.

Edited by Pam Cummings

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Fran also mentioned he’s shot like shit the last few weeks.  

Chicken or egg issue. Defenders can beat the hell out of him and keep them from getting free looks without reprisal from the officials, Then his percentage is going to drop, big time.  Big 12 teams in general play the hell out of defense

Edited by slorch

28 minutes ago, Js1 said:

LOL Baylor finding ways to duck the hard games. 

Baylor is losing all their home games against the top teams in the conference.  Will be playing at KU, at WVU and likely at Stillwater or Norman (already played at Texas and at TT).  So beating everyone on the road is ducking the hard games?  

HuggyBear is the one who's been bitching about playing so many games in 6 days or something.  Mentioned it 15 or so times in a 20 minute press conference the other day.  

Edited by Trey3216

Just now, Js1 said:

Oh I see.

Baylor is the victim here. 

Didn't say that.  I said they're not being bitches about games being cancelled.  I know for a fact that they didn't have #'s to play for the last 18 days due to both COVID cases and contact tracing rules set by the conference.  Some guys that missed in Dec due to contact tracing had to miss again, and they had fewer than the 4 required scholarship players to field a team.  Stupid. 

But they'll play 5 more games to get to 14, with 8 of the 14 being on the road.  

Seriously, what are the rest of us doing that they aren't? How did they manage to miss nearly half of their games? And still remain No. 2? Give me a fucking break.

On the tournament topic, why not just play out what is scheduled and then let the tournament decide what happens? Yeah, seeding might be messed up with some teams playing more than others, but ultimately, someone has to win 4 in a row, and a tournament is an equalizer. Baylor might be so out of practice they don't win the tournament, which would be great, because fuck them. They should not be allowed to have sports anymore.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Baylor missed Gonzaga and all of the top Big XII team 2nd matchups. They play Kansas State twice and would’ve had Iowa State for the second time tonight. It’s uncanny how the Covid knows their schedule…

They are absolutely gaming things. Fuck Baylor. 

if you have eight, then play eight. If you don’t wanna play, then fucking forfeit. 

Edited by slorch

New games for rescheduling:

Monday, March 1 -

OU @ OSU (ESPN)

Tuesday, March 2 - 

Baylor @ WV (ESPN)
TCU @ Texas Tech (ESPN+)
Texas @ ISU (ESPN+)

Thursday, March 4 -

ISU @ Texas Tech (ESPN+)
OSU @ Baylor (ESPN)
TCU @ WV (ESPN+)
Texas @ OU (ESPN)

Saturday, March 6 -

OSU @ WV (ESPN)
ISU @ KSU (ESPN+)

Sunday, March 7 -

Tech @ Baylor (ESPN)
Texas @ TCU (ESPN+)

2 minutes ago, 'stache said:

And Kansas gets the whole week to rest while the rest of us are beating the shit out of each other, right before the tournament. God damn, this is fucking stupid. Here's our closeout schedule. Seems fair.

@#7 OU
#7 OU
@#10 WVU
@ #2 Baylor

Was just in the process of typing how convenient KU has a whole week off 

7 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Surely you guys will watch and drink beer, right? There's tv money in that.

I've been punched out for awhile, honestly.  I haven't watched an entire game this year.  I've only watched portions of maybe 3 conference games, 1 random non con, and 5 minutes of the Iowa game.  I've never been less interested in ISU basketball in my sports fan life.  There's just no hope of anything until we make a coaching change.

As long as this TV money is going directly to one of Campbell's assistants, I'm good with it.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

2 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I've been punched out for awhile, honestly.  I've never been less interested in ISU basketball in my sports fan life.  There's just no hope of anything until we make a coaching change.

As long as this TV money is going directly to one of Campbell's assistants, I'm good with it.

After two down years? You guys won the tournament just a few years ago. It took me about 5 years of Travis Ford's pathetic ass before I stopped giving a shit.

After two down years? You guys won the tournament just a few years ago. It took me about 5 years of Travis Ford's pathetic ass before I stopped giving a shit.

Dude, we’re going to go winless in Big 12 play. Travis Ford underachieved. This program is an absolute inferno. There’s no comparison. We are historically bad right now.

And that team that won the Big 12 tourney was infuriatingly below their potential. Outside of those 3 days in March they were massive underachievers, as I frequently and obnoxiously bemoaned here.

3 of the last 4 seasons will yield no post season. 2 of them were absolutely god awful. ISU fans deserve better.

Prohm has been here 6 years, and it’s clear that he’s lost momentum and simply doesn’t know what he’s doing at this point.

It’s not like I’m picking a new team, I’m just reaching a point in life where I limit my emotional investment in something with no returns. Hoiberg’s first year was a struggle, but those guys fought hard and were really close to breaking through. I gladly watched those guys. This team isn’t that.

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

New games for rescheduling:

Monday, March 1 -

OU @ OSU (ESPN)

Tuesday, March 2 - 

Baylor @ WV (ESPN)
TCU @ Texas Tech (ESPN+)
Texas @ ISU (ESPN+)

Thursday, March 4 -

ISU @ Texas Tech (ESPN+)
OSU @ Baylor (ESPN)
TCU @ WV (ESPN+)
Texas @ OU (ESPN)

Saturday, March 6 -

OSU @ WV (ESPN)
ISU @ KSU (ESPN+)

Sunday, March 7 -

Tech @ Baylor (ESPN)
Texas @ TCU (ESPN+)

The B12 is such a shit conference for doing this... either cancel more of these games or forget the Damn B12 Tournament...

• Like 1