2020-21 Big XII Basketball Thread

9 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Somebody want to explain that halftime score in Lawrence?

KU playing too fast, and UTEP out rebounding and out hustling the dumb rock chalks...

Unbelievable how poorly ku is playing, and how well UTEP is playing.  So far, Miners look like the better team 😂😂😂

UTEP 41     ku 29

16 min left

Damn I don’t know what deal Baylor made with the devil to be able to rape coeds, kill fellow players while the coach lies about it and have the baseball team skin a cat...and still win a few major championships in the league...but it appears it is super effective, and may have taken out our best player at the last minute.  

Sorry fellow surly guys who are cool and just happen to be fans of Baylor, but there’s too much disgusting history there for me to root for y’all...and I’ll be pissed if they turn a self-inflicted (see all those fans in the stands tonight) covid break into a way to energize when everyone else is beat to hell.  

For the Pokes they looked exhausted, which makes sense.  I expected to lose, but that one left a bad taste in my mouth...not gonna cry about officiating much except the timing of some of those fouls were suspect and I can’t believe how bad the BigXII is when it comes to finding 3 guys who can properly manage a game.  We shot ourselves in the foot with turnovers (again) and deserved to lose but proud they kept fighting.  

• Hook 'Em 1

[mention=1238]Al_4_ISU[/mention] what's the rundown on what happened to ISU the past couple of years? This is some oooogly basketball. I'm used to ISU hoops being tough as hell.

Steve Prohm is a giant pussy and his teams reflect that.

They always did, the difference was they had more talent in the past.

He recruited a bunch of 1 to 2 year players he assumed were 4 year guys and didn’t have a back up. And his teams are soft. Always have been. I was bitching about it 3 years ago and y’all said I was being dramatic.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Steve Prohm is a giant pussy and his teams reflect that.

They always did, the difference was they had more talent in the past.

He recruited a bunch of 1 to 2 year players he assumed were 4 year guys and didn’t have a back up. And his teams are soft. Always have been. I was bitching about it 3 years ago and y’all said I was being dramatic.

Got ya...people have been worried about Beard doing the same thing, since we've had a lot of churn and guys being processed out, guys leaving for the NBA etc.

Texas Tech student manager enters game and promptly does most Chris Beard thing ever

ByJARRET JOHNSON 8 hours ago

If nothing else Texas Tech basketball under head coach Chris Beard is defined by defense, grit and relishing in the underdog role. What at first appeared to be just an 81-54 blowout victory over a struggling Iowa State squad as the Red Raiders march ever closer to postseason play, turned into yet another chapter in the legend of Chris Beard and Red Raider basketball.

With under a minute to go and Texas Tech up big, Beard inserted student manager Ty Larson into the game which was greeted by a roar from the crowd in attendance. The immediate thought was to get Larson a shot, but no, this is Texas Tech where toughness and hard nosed defense is valued above all else.

So what did Larson do? He drew a charge in the paint from a driving Cyclone. The students in attendance for the home finale Thursday night at United Supermarkets Arena in Lubbock, Texas went wild as did Larson's teammates who mobbed him when the game went final as cheers of "MVP! MVP! MVP!" rained down from the arena.

According to a release from Texas Tech, Larson is the head student manager who has been with the program for two years. He's finishing his bachelor’s degree in University Studies in May, plans on attending graduate school and working as a basketball graduate assistant with the goal of becoming a Division I head basketball coach one day. Larson also has a pretty impressive playing resume as the Red Raiders list him as two-time all-state, four-year letterman and two-year team captain at Douglas High School in Wyoming before going on to play two seasons at Eastern Wyoming College where he earned his associates degree.

Larson was certified eligible Thursday morning, met all transfer requirements and will return to his role as head manager on Friday, but his one minute on the court will live on in Red Raider basketball lore forever. He is forever part of the story which continues to be rewritten by Beard.

"Ty is a college basketball player--he played junior college ball in Wyoming," said Beard in the postgame press conference. "Like many of us in this profession he knew his playing days were over, but a coaching career could be a real possibility with his love of basketball. He came here to be our student manager, student assistant. His role this year is the head manager and he's done a great job.

2 hours ago, El Diablo said:

Who does the tournament stand to help the most for NCAA tourney seeding?

My guess is the glut in the middle, UT, OSU, Tech, since there isn't much separating them currently. WVU can maybe work themselves to a 2 seed if they win it all, and OU has lost a lot of shine and could save their current reputation with a big conference tourney run.

No word on Cade Cunningham's ankle, which is probably good news, and he apparently was upbeat on social media after the game. My guess is that he doesn't play WVU on Saturday to rest his ankle for the tournament. We're most likely already in the 4-5 game in which seeding doesn't matter, and we're only the 6 seed if Tech beats Baylor, which is unlikely, but in any event is out of our hands. We have an outside chance at the 4 seed, but we not only have to beat WVU, TCU also has to beat UT. Since the latter is very unlikely, I don't see the benefit of risking his ankle if it is anything less than 100%. We should try to win with the rest of the guys and then start preparing immediately to make a tourney run.

Edited by 'stache

47 minutes ago, 'stache said:

No word on Cade Cunningham's ankle, which is probably good news, and he apparently was upbeat on social media after the game. My guess is that he doesn't play WVU on Saturday to rest his ankle for the tournament. We're most likely already in the 4-5 game in which seeding doesn't matter, and we're only the 6 seed if Tech beats Baylor, which is unlikely, but in any event is out of our hands. We have an outside chance at the 4 seed, but we not only have to beat WVU, TCU also has to beat UT. Since the latter is very unlikely, I don't see the benefit of risking his ankle if it is anything less than 100%. We should try to win with the rest of the guys and then start preparing immediately to make a tourney run.

6 hours ago, slorch said:

Texas Tech student manager enters game and promptly does most Chris Beard thing ever

ByJARRET JOHNSON 8 hours ago

If nothing else Texas Tech basketball under head coach Chris Beard is defined by defense, grit and relishing in the underdog role. What at first appeared to be just an 81-54 blowout victory over a struggling Iowa State squad as the Red Raiders march ever closer to postseason play, turned into yet another chapter in the legend of Chris Beard and Red Raider basketball.

With under a minute to go and Texas Tech up big, Beard inserted student manager Ty Larson into the game which was greeted by a roar from the crowd in attendance. The immediate thought was to get Larson a shot, but no, this is Texas Tech where toughness and hard nosed defense is valued above all else.

So what did Larson do? He drew a charge in the paint from a driving Cyclone. The students in attendance for the home finale Thursday night at United Supermarkets Arena in Lubbock, Texas went wild as did Larson's teammates who mobbed him when the game went final as cheers of "MVP! MVP! MVP!" rained down from the arena.

According to a release from Texas Tech, Larson is the head student manager who has been with the program for two years. He's finishing his bachelor’s degree in University Studies in May, plans on attending graduate school and working as a basketball graduate assistant with the goal of becoming a Division I head basketball coach one day. Larson also has a pretty impressive playing resume as the Red Raiders list him as two-time all-state, four-year letterman and two-year team captain at Douglas High School in Wyoming before going on to play two seasons at Eastern Wyoming College where he earned his associates degree.

Larson was certified eligible Thursday morning, met all transfer requirements and will return to his role as head manager on Friday, but his one minute on the court will live on in Red Raider basketball lore forever. He is forever part of the story which continues to be rewritten by Beard.

"Ty is a college basketball player--he played junior college ball in Wyoming," said Beard in the postgame press conference. "Like many of us in this profession he knew his playing days were over, but a coaching career could be a real possibility with his love of basketball. He came here to be our student manager, student assistant. His role this year is the head manager and he's done a great job.

Also.. keeps the game UNDER... lol

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

That sucks about Cunningham's ankle. I'm just hoping it's not a high ankle sprain or something that lingers. Folks outside the conference need to get to see that guy play. 

Report is that it’s not serious but he’ll sit out today against WVU. If we win we lock in the 4-5 game. If we lose we can fall to 6 if Tech beats Baylor. So not a lot to play for today. The 6 has its own advantage of avoiding Baylor til the potential title game. I hope we can get Likekele back for the conference tourney too. He’s still out.

But it’s probably moot though. I fully expect the NCAA to announce that the postseason ban stands like the day before the conference tourney, because that’s the shot they love to pull. I’ll drive to Indy and burn the fucker down.

9 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Oklahoma St is a fucking problem.  They're hitting their stride at the right time.  

Although this is obviously Boyton’s best team, I will say that it’s been a hallmark of his teams that they finish strong.  It just didn’t matter in the previous years because we were on the wrong side of the bubble, lol.

14 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Although this is obviously Boyton’s best team, I will say that it’s been a hallmark of his teams that they finish strong.  It just didn’t matter in the previous years because we were on the wrong side of the bubble, lol.

If yall are able to return everyone except of course Cunningham next year look out.  Sort of reminds me of the transition from our 07 team to the 08 team. We lost the best player in the country yet improved immensely the following year.  

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

If yall are able to return everyone except of course Cunningham next year look out.  Sort of reminds me of the transition from our 07 team to the 08 team. We lost the best player in the country yet improved immensely the following year.  

Yeah I think next year’s team should be salty.  Not as high of a ceiling without Cunningham, but a tough out every night.

Love how Anderson, Boone twins, Moncrief, etc., play. Not always super smart decisions, but they play super hard every game from start to finish and are always a tough out.

1 minute ago, Homercles said:

I’m sure they’ll give it to Scott Drew for getting covid at the right time to rest his team

Top team in 2020 to #2 team in 2021. Meh. He didn’t have to do anything 

Yeah I think next year’s team should be salty.  Not as high of a ceiling without Cunningham, but a tough out every night.
Love how Anderson, Boone twins, Moncrief, etc., play. Not always super smart decisions, but they play super hard every game from start to finish and are always a tough out.

FYI- Rondell Walker is not an etc. today he was, but he’s a future star.
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Top team in 2020 to #2 team in 2021. Meh. He didn’t have to do anything 

Oh was just fucking around.  I’m thrilled with this season and ecstatic for Boynton, I had zero expectations of going 4-1 in this 5-game gauntlet and figured this game was a sure fire loss due to exhaustion, travel and two stars out.  

Boynton deserves CotY and hope he gets it, by all accounts the dude does things the right way.  

1 minute ago, Homercles said:

Oh was just fucking around.  I’m thrilled with this season and ecstatic for Boynton, I had zero expectations of going 4-1 in this 5-game gauntlet and figured this game was a sure fire loss due to exhaustion, travel and two stars out.  

Boynton deserves CotY and hope he gets it, by all accounts the dude does things the right way.  

Thanks for winning so we don’t face you in game 1 lol

6 hours ago, 'stache said:

Report is that it’s not serious but he’ll sit out today against WVU. If we win we lock in the 4-5 game. If we lose we can fall to 6 if Tech beats Baylor. So not a lot to play for today. The 6 has its own advantage of avoiding Baylor til the potential title game. I hope we can get Likekele back for the conference tourney too. He’s still out.

But it’s probably moot though. I fully expect the NCAA to announce that the postseason ban stands like the day before the conference tourney, because that’s the shot they love to pull. I’ll drive to Indy and burn the fucker down.

Bilas said he thought Okie Lite won't hear NCAA decision in time -- therefore  Okie Lite plays in 2021 Tourney...

12 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Thanks for winning so we don’t face you in game 1 lol

Call me confused -- from standings looks like Okie Lite vs Horns in 2nd round ??

2020-21 BIG 12 STANDINGS

TEAM CONF GB OVR
#3 Baylor 12-1 -- 20-1
#13 Kansas 12-6 2.5 19-8
#6 West Virginia 11-6 3 18-8
#15 Texas 10-6 3.5 16-7
#17 Oklahoma State 11-7 3.5 18-7
#18 Texas Tech 9-7 4.5 17-8
#16 Oklahoma 9-8 5 14-9
TCU 5-10 8 12-12
Kansas State 3-14 11 7-19
Iowa State 0-17 14 2-20

Complete standings »

2020-21 BIG 12 STANDINGS

Edited by LTtxfan

6 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Call me confused -- from standings looks like Okie Lite vs Horns in 2nd round ??

2020-21 BIG 12 STANDINGS

TEAM CONF GB OVR
#3 Baylor 12-1 -- 20-1
#13 Kansas 12-6 2.5 19-8
#6 West Virginia 11-6 3 18-8
#15 Texas 10-6 3.5 16-7
#17 Oklahoma State 11-7 3.5 18-7
#18 Texas Tech 9-7 4.5 17-8
#16 Oklahoma 9-8 5 14-9
TCU 5-10 8 12-12
Kansas State 3-14 11 7-19
Iowa State 0-17 14 2-20

Complete standings »

2020-21 BIG 12 STANDINGS

We have the seeding head to head over WV due to our 2-0 record versus KU If we both finish 11-6. Again, we have to win. If we lose, OSU is 4 and we are 5  

We’d face Tech if we win tomorrow, regardless of what Tech does against Baylor  

1. Baylor (13 - 1)  
2. Kansas (12 - 6)  
3. Texas (11 - 6) Defeated W Virginia based on winning percentage against #2 teams [Kansas] (2-0).
4. W Virginia (11 - 6) Lost to Texas based on winning percentage against #2 teams [Kansas] (1-1).
5. Okla St (11 - 7)  
6. Texas Tech (9 - 8 Defeated Oklahoma based on head-to-head wins (2-0).
7. Oklahoma (9 - 8 Lost to Texas Tech based on head-to-head wins (0-2).
8. TCU (5 - 11)  
9. Kansas St (4 - 14)  
10. Iowa St (0 - 18) 

Edited by Js1
  • Like 1