2020-21 Big XII Basketball Thread

but not going to consider revising 2 OT wins over Tech, eh?

The games are what they are...  in this league, it's just a street fight almost every night.

IDGAF about Big XII tourney.  Now just hoping Okie Lite doesn't get fucked by NCAA regarding The Dance.  That's all that matters.

Edited by slorch

I’m not a fan of having to play WVU and potentially Baylor again back to back but this league is brutal so any matchups will be tough. I like the way we’re playing. I don’t expect WVU to be as sloppy on Thursday as they were today but if we get Cade and Likekele back, the sky’s the limit. Now that I’m adequately excited, I’ll just wait for some disappointment and hope it doesn’t come.

19 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Yeah I think next year’s team should be salty.  Not as high of a ceiling without Cunningham, but a tough out every night.

Love how Anderson, Boone twins, Moncrief, etc., play. Not always super smart decisions, but they play super hard every game from start to finish and are always a tough out.

Is Likely(sp?) a senior?

1 hour ago, Mdhorn said:

Guess BU can't foul with contact.  I hate officiating.  If players foul, call it.  

Everyone out there just wants this game to be over with and no injuries.

4 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

I thought late in the 1st half that it might turn into a ballgame. I was wrong.  Held McClung to 7. 

As much shit as I've talked about Baylor, and most of it deserved; the team is fucking elite.  Those three guards and then Vital inside are just unstoppable when they get going.  It's gonna take something special to stop the Bears.

Maybe Covid.

We lost a lot of close games, but it fucking kills me that we were swept by TCU. Just split that series and we are tied with Kansas at 12-6.  Sweep them like we should have and we are alone in 2nd. Ugg.

You guys are really coming together at the right time. I’ll be rooting for you next week.
  • Hook 'Em 2

It makes me so happy so see OU having to play a first-round game as the #7 seed.  Not just because they’re our rival but also their insane ranking even after the loses were piling up.  Was wondering if my pokes were ever going to pass them even after two epic wins.  

It makes me so happy so see OU having to play a first-round game as the #7 seed.  Not just because they’re our rival but also their insane ranking even after the loses were piling up.  Was wondering if my pokes were ever going to pass them even after two epic wins.  

OU isn’t really playing a first round game

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2934987-big-12-tournament-2021-bracket-tv-schedule-dates-and-predictions

This article has Baylor vs Tech in finals...

Predictions

Baylor Takes 1st Big 12 Tournament Crown

Baylor has returned to the form it was in prior to its COVID-19-related shutdown.   The Bears waxed the Texas Tech Red Raiders on Sunday by 15 points to secure their position atop the conference. 

Baylor enters Kansas City with three consecutive wins over Top 25 teams, which is an easy feat to achieve in the Big 12 with seven of the 10 programs ranked in the AP poll.  After a road loss to Kansas, Baylor gutted out a win over the West Virginia Mountaineers, fended off a challenge from the Oklahoma State Cowboys and then blew away Texas Tech.   In each of those contests, the Bears eclipsed the 80-point mark, which they did not do in a close win over Iowa State and the loss to Kansas in the two games out of their pause. 

If you go back to January 23, the Bears have seven 80-point performances in nine games, and they limited seven of those opponents under 75 points.  If Baylor's offense continues to perform at a high level, it should fend off any challenges that await it in the tune-up for the NCAA tournament. 

Baylor has three players that average over 13 points per game and MaCio Teague comes into Kansas City off his best performance of the season. Teague scored 35 points and hit 10 three-point shots versus Texas Tech.   If Baylor runs the table, it would reach its first Big 12 Championship Game since 2014 and take home its state's first-ever league tournament crown.          

Texas Tech Makes Run To Final

Texas Tech is far from the typical No. 6 seed in a conference tournament.   The Red Raiders carry a 17-9 overall record into Kansas City, but a 9-8 mark through the Big 12 gauntlet cost it a high seed in the Big 12 tournament. 

Chris Beard's team is dangerous in a tournament setting because it has a streaky shooter in Mac McClung leading its offense.   The transfer from Georgetown leads the Red Raiders with 16.4 points per game and he shoots 33.6 percent from three-point range.   Texas Tech has four victories in the last six games in which McClung eclipsed the 20-point mark. The Red Raiders won the last three times that total was recorded. 

McClung had 20-point outings against Kansas, West Virginia, Oklahoma State and Texas, so he is no stranger to playing well against the toughest teams in the conference.   If McClung gets hot and he receives some support from Terrance Shannon Jr., Kyler Edwards and others, Texas Tech can generate some momentum heading into the Big Dance and potentially bolster its resume in the process.

" If Baylor runs the table, it would reach its first Big 12 Championship Game since 2014 and take home its state's first-ever league tournament crown." 

Didn't realize that none of the Texas schools had ever won the tournament. Prolly something on a wall in B/CS.

45 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

" If Baylor runs the table, it would reach its first Big 12 Championship Game since 2014 and take home its state's first-ever league tournament crown." 

Didn't realize that none of the Texas schools had ever won the tournament. Prolly something on a wall in B/CS.

I think KU and us have combined for every tournament title since realignment.  Both the Oklahoma schools won a few back in the aughts, and Mizzou had a couple scattered in there.

KU (11x), ISU (5x), OU (3x), OSU (2x), and Mizzou (2x) are the only schools to ever win it.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

12 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

is anyone at TCU getting frustrated with Jamie Dixon?

Getting frustrated or have been frustrated for a while?

Way too many old alums who remember the "glory" days of Killer and Dixon who excuse every fucking loss.  He won't be going anywhere for a season or two more, but the big question is did the Frogs actually save UCLA from a big mistake.

Baylor as an institution can go fuck itself, but it's remarkable the amount of mutual respect and sportsmanship shown on the court yesterday between Baylor and Tech players/coaches. I've noticed the same when we play WVU. Guys helping opposing players up off the floor, patting each other on the back, smiling and chatting during breaks, etc.

It's a remarkable difference from when I see us play some other teams, including Texas as probably the most glaring example. I'm all for getting amped up and playing with emotion, but whenever we play it feels like you can cut the tension between the opposing players and coaching staffs with a knife.

It feels like that's the way Shaka wants the culture around his program to be, and I don't personally understand that. To me, encouraging your players to shit talk that much just gives the other team more emotional investment in beating you. I noticed the same thing against LSU, a few of their players just jawing non-stop the whole game, and I felt like it gave our guys extra motivation to pull out the win.

Also, somewhat unrelated, but today I learned Mark Vital is Tyreek Smith's older brother. Cool. I hope he ends up being as good as Vital.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, El Diablo said:

There's been 23 title games in conference tournament history and a Texas school has only appeared 10 times in the champ game.  Obviously Baylor very likely wins it in 2020 if the tournament isn't cancelled abruptly. 

2001 - Texas
2004 - Texas
2005 - Texas Tech
2006-2008 - Texas
2009 - Baylor 
2010 - Texas 
2011 - Baylor 
2014 - Baylor 

3 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I think KU and us have combined for every tournament title since realignment.  Both the Oklahoma schools won a few back in the aughts, and Mizzou had a couple scattered in there.

KU (11x), ISU (5x), OU (3x), OSU (2x), and Mizzou (2x) are the only schools to ever win it.

Correct.  Since Big 12 realigned, it's been KU or ISU.

In fact, the only participants in the title game since the new Big 12 are KU (5), ISU (4), WV (3), Kansas State (1) and Baylor (1).  

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

I can’t believe they gave Drew Coach of the Year for having a top 2 team in 2020 and being a top 2 team in 2021

That wasn’t particularly impressive 

Who would you have given it to? Huggins? Shaka? I don't think anyone else had an argument. 

Maybe Okie Lite's HC. But they have arguably the best player in the country, so, tough sell.

Edited by ztejas

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Who would you have given it to? Huggins? Shaka? I don't think anyone else had an argument. 

Maybe Okie Lite's HC. But they have arguably the best player in the country, so, tough sell.

Boynton 

32 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Boynton 

Fuck no, his team lost to a shitty TCU team not once, but twice. Futhermore, their game management the last 5 minutes of each game was total dog shit.  Do you know how hard it is to get out coached by Dixon at the end of a game?

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

I can’t believe they gave Drew Coach of the Year for having a top 2 team in 2020 and being a top 2 team in 2021

That wasn’t particularly impressive 

Eh, I'm impressed.

Drew has consistently been solid to excellent after a slow start. We used to openly mock him at Hornfans (T_really_OS?), but nobody does that now.

What he's been able to accomplish at a place that not only had no hoops legacy, but was in the absolute shitter thanks to what happened under Bliss's watch is nothing short of extraordinary. He's a Baylor basketball version of Bill Snyder as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I just don't know how you can evaluate him with Cade being there. I'm not saying it should have been Drew, but to me he had just as good of an argument as anyone else. 

I hate picking the odds on favorite preseason as coach of the year as nearly automatic. Drew met expectations - good for him? He should lose it for their shitty COVID management alone 

Edited by Js1

Don't know how it could have been anyone except Drew. 

Baylor got their first B12 conference championship, their first championship of any kind since 1950, and their first season undefeated at home since 1947-48. 

OSU was picked to finish 7th and finished 5th. So, yeah, improvement, but that's still middle of the pack. 

11 hours ago, Richard Kimball said:

Don't know how it could have been anyone except Drew. 

Baylor got their first B12 conference championship, their first championship of any kind since 1950, and their first season undefeated at home since 1947-48. 

OSU was picked to finish 7th and finished 5th. So, yeah, improvement, but that's still middle of the pack. 

One guy won with a Ferrari dressed out for LeMans.  The other guy was in contention with a world class motor in a Chevette with stock everything else.

I guess it depends on how you evaluate "coaching."

5 minutes ago, Tommy Shelby said:

So what about the top of the big 12? You’re just not being objective because it is Rapelor. 

You probably want to credit Drew for overcoming Covid, right?  I'd feel a lot differently if they had played their fucking schedule and not gamed the shit out of it to avoid some of the rigor. 

Edited by slorch

8 minutes ago, slorch said:

You probably want to credit Drew for overcoming Covid, right?  I'd feel a lot differently if they had played their fucking schedule and not gamed the shit out of it to avoid some of the rigor. 

Eh, this season is going to have a asterisk next to it. I mean all of the players can choose to have another year of eligibility. Let the cheater have the meaningless award during the meaningless year. 

9 minutes ago, slorch said:

One guy won with a Ferrari dressed out for LeMans.  The other guy was in contention with a world class motor in a Chevette with stock everything else.

Using your analogy, each coach built his own car. The key players on Baylor's team weren't big names coming out of high school. They got developed over several years. Coaching doesn't start at tip off. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, slorch said:

As a fan of Drew and continuing your analogy I like to think he built his LeMans ready Ferrari with his bare hands, in his garage, out of spare parts and from reading books on building race cars. It's not like he ordered it fully loaded off the Adidas showroom floor. (Not talking about OSU here, hope anyone can see that.) What he's done in Waco is in my opinion the essence of good corching. 

That said, as I mentioned previously the award has been won by coaches with a .500 conference record so giving it to someone else was certainly an option. 

• Like 1

He’s been there 18 years. Congratulations!  You’re finally worth a shit!

Boynton turned his ship in slightly quicker fashion.

In the end, none of it makes a shit, aside from wins on the court.  The rest is just offseason fodder.

If we hadn’t lost twice to TCU we’d be higher in the rankings and seeding and Boynton would have a much stronger case for COY. I mostly hate Drew because he’s a scumbag and that entire athletic program is a despicable piece of shit. Remember that time Drew threatened to have a guy deported if he didn’t sign with him? I ‘member.

46 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Actually if you want to get REALLY technical, I might give it to Self, even though he’s a fuckface, considering how they started conference play (3-5) and they finished winning 7 of 8. 

16 minutes ago, 'stache said:

If we hadn’t lost twice to TCU we’d be higher in the rankings and seeding and Boynton would have a much stronger case for COY. I mostly hate Drew because he’s a scumbag and that entire athletic program is a despicable piece of shit. Remember that time Drew threatened to have a guy deported if he didn’t sign with him? I ‘member.

Part of the problem with both Self and Boynton is that both programs are currently under NCAA scrutiny. The Big 12 would have a tough time awarding Coach of the Year to a coach that's currently banned from the tournament or one that got caught up in the Adidas pay to play situation.