The Undoing HBO

TwiceHorn

So, this will end up with Grace being the killer won't it? 

On a rewatch, she seems to be a bit of an unreliable narrator.  She sees visions of Elena and imagines encounters that she may not have been privy to. 

During the second counseling session with the gay couple, the camera and Grace both focus on the black guy gripping his husband's hand and arm.  He's been outed as being controlling and the husband wanting some danger in his life.  The other client is told she's a perfectionist who doesn't see men in her life for who they are.  Maybe both sessions are Grace projecting herself on her clients.

When we have the flashback to locker room, we are shown that we are not getting complete scenes when they first occur. So, there's probably more interactions with Elena that we have not seen yet.

Edited by CooterBrown

On 11/6/2020 at 2:27 PM, CooterBrown said:

So, this will end up with Grace being the killer won't it? 

On a rewatch, she seems to be a bit of an unreliable narrator.  She sees visions of Elena and imagines encounters that she may not have been privy to. 

During the second counseling session with the gay couple, the camera and Grace both focus on the black guy gripping his husband's hand and arm.  He's been outed as being controlling and the husband wanting some danger in his life.  The other client is told she's a perfectionist who doesn't see men in her life for who they are.  Maybe both sessions are Grace projecting herself on her clients.

When we have the flashback to locker room, we are shown that we are not getting complete scenes when they first occur. So, there's probably more interactions with Elena that we have not seen yet.

You bastard!  You fiend!

Pretty good third ep.  In a world where English actors do passable American accents routinely, the public defender annoyingly let some british leak through his New Yawk accent.  

Could be the dad at this point.  However, we were once again shown some unreliable narration when Grace envisioned the husband watching Jonathan and Elena bumping uglies on the floor of the studio.  Probably projecting what she saw onto Elena's husband. 

Now, with Grace's dad, when he goes and sits outside the studio, where is that in the timeline? I didn't catch if he was dressed the same as he was in the prior scene.

I'd rank the suspects like this:  Grace, Grace's dad, Jonathan, Elena's husband.

Episode 1 was exactly why I couldn't watch Big Little Lies.  That snarky "rich white mommy" cliché is so tired.  Then they killed off the hot naked chick.  But the wife insisted I stick with it since I made her watch Fargo, so I am in for the whole thing.  Episode 2 was pretty good.  Fell asleep in Episode 3 waiting for something to happen other than Nicole Kidman discussing her and her son's feelings.  Wife told me something did happen but literally in the last 30 seconds of the episode.

So now that we’ve seen the video of Grace near the crime scene, it makes me think she didn’t do it.

I am suspicious of Lilly Rabe’s character (can’t remember her name, Grace’s lawyer friend) for no other reason except I expect the show reveal the killer to be someone completely unexpected but that someone has to be a “main” character.

I'm sort of near the Liquor and Poker part of the spectrum. The show has a lumbering tempo and lacks the small moment sparks of Big Little Lies which I liked a lot.

I feel like I've watched Kidman walk about 30 miles on the New York sidewalks. Enough already. I don't care much about her son or her school friends. It's nice seeing Hugh Grant expanding his range after growing too old for romcoms.

It's good enough to keep watching, but it's not memorable at all.

So now that we’ve seen the video of Grace near the crime scene, it makes me think she didn’t do it.

I am suspicious of Lilly Rabe’s character (can’t remember her name, Grace’s lawyer friend) for no other reason except I expect the show reveal the killer to be someone completely unexpected but that someone has to be a “main” character.

Roger Ebert called that the Economy of Characters Rule. Generally, it has to be a character you’ve met.

10 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Thought the same thing after the way they were eyeing each other in the courtroom. Bet old Hugh was tappin that too and she got jealous

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Episode 1 was exactly why I couldn't watch Big Little Lies.  That snarky "rich white mommy" cliché is so tired.  Then they killed off the hot naked chick.  But the wife insisted I stick with it since I made her watch Fargo, so I am in for the whole thing.  Episode 2 was pretty good.  Fell asleep in Episode 3 waiting for something to happen other than Nicole Kidman discussing her and her son's feelings.  Wife told me something did happen but literally in the last 30 seconds of the episode.

Is there a term for the novelized fiction upon which this show, Big Little Lies, and Little Fires Everywhere is based on?  Bored housewife fiction?  

14 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

I feel like I've watched Kidman walk about 30 miles on the New York sidewalks. Enough already.

The thing I keep laughing about is how often she walks for blocks and blocks in Manhattan all by herself.  No one else around.  I've only been alone on a street in Manhattan at 4am on a Sunday/Monday, and only then for about a block.  Oh, and no scaffolding on any of those buildings.

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, HillaryFan420 said:

Is there a term for the novelized fiction upon which this show, Big Little Lies, and Little Fires Everywhere is based on?  Bored housewife fiction?  

Revenge fantasy/moral satisfaction for women who are pissed that their husbands find women younger than them attractive?  That's too long.

1 hour ago, Longhorn94 said:

not only is he still alive but still able to perform at a high level. very nice part of this cast.

He's nails.  His career has been Incredible, with a string of big roles from about 1970 through the early 80s, then switching seemlessly to more supporting roles, which he continues today. Had a cameo in "Kentucky Fried Movie."  Biggest miss:  taking $35,000 v. the 2% of gross offered to him for his small role in "Animal House."  Cost him $2.8 million in late-70s dollars.  

He'll get roles as long as he wants to continue acting.

Watched episodes one and two so far, Hugh Grant has aged a lot since I last saw him.  Nicole Kidman, not so much.   Interested in where they go with this, I don’t remember who all is in the opening scene but in most of these movies or docs the killer is in the opening scene...

On 11/9/2020 at 10:06 PM, CooterBrown said:

Roger Ebert called that the Economy of Characters Rule. Generally, it has to be a character you’ve met.

There are no unnecessary characters; has ruined many film or ep of Murdoch Mysteries

On 11/11/2020 at 8:24 PM, bschoolprof said:

Keifer’s dad or the lawyer friend. Who else could it be? The doctor dude from the hospital?

On a side note, I thought Donald Sutherland was dead for some reason. Nice to see he’s still kickin. One of the greats. 

2020 is not over yet.

I’m thinking it being the kid is too on the nose. I’m in on it being grandpa. He planted the hammer there. The parents will think it’s their son and Jonathan will take the fall to keep the secret. The grandpa gets what he wants, Jonathan out of his daughter’s life. It also explains the brief shot of him sitting outside the studio. We don’t know if that was shown in the right spot in the timeline. It could’ve been when he killed her.